Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will anyone ever compete with WoW?

Comments

• Jonnas13Jonnas13 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Briansho

Nothing will ever compete with WoW as long as companies keep making clones of it.

Or if the games are released buggy, incomplete and unpolished due to investors looking for cash returns before the game is really ready. Sadly this is happening all too often.

• bigbadraysiebigbadraysie Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Briansho

Nothing will ever compete with WoW as long as companies keep making clones of it.

just like blizzard did with everquest??

• ZhqrxtZhqrxt Member Posts: 152

It is quite peculiar. Blizzard as a company wasnt all that gigantic mofo when they released WoW. They had a decent size yes, and some popular titles shipped. But they didnt have more rescourses then many of the companys who releases mmo`s theese years. They must have done something right since wow have appealed to so many ppl. I am really puzled that none of the new titles have been able to put ujp some competetions: the devs could look at Blizzard and se the recipe, then take advantges of better soft/hardware both at the dev end and buyers, with much faster comps - and create something similar, but bigger, better graphic and more advanced gameplay.

Aion might nail Wow in terms of graphics, and its a wonder that it first happens now ( AOC might be better looking on high ress screenshots - but that dosnt count), but if it still have same fun factor, wow has, will time tell.

One thing is pretty certain though. If Wow gets serious competetion, i bet it only will last untill Blizzard releases their next gen Mmo. Imagine when they pull 75% of the wow developers over to the new mmo division and give them updated moddels, physiqs, mappings and lightnings to play with. If they follow the same pattern from Diablo3 and Starcraft 2, we are gonna se exactly same gamestyle, but better, prettyer, bigger and with tons of new funny mechanics added. My guess is allso Starcraft online,  were "mounts" like small space crafts, mechs and other vehicles will play a big role.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Its been said hundreds of thousands of times on this same forum in one way or another. The only things that will realistically take wow down are

Blizzard some how loosing tons of money with the economy or looseing some of its key development team.

Time, Just time,  people grow tired of some games after time its just how it is.

• pewtpewtpewtpewt Member Posts: 115

i dont know why you people think WoW is a good game. its pretty bad now. I guess you guys just like games without skill...

And I had a level 70 warrior with full Season 3 right before S4 came out, so i know what im talking about. I only had to press like 6 keys with a druid and i would win. WoW requires skill in one situation--If you go against someone in the same gear, same class, same spec.

Or, maybe, to surf the web and find guides on those scripted bosses that are ALWAYS the same.

DARKFALL 09!

Apparently 08 didn't make it :(

Sorros of Forumfall.

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by pewtpewt

i dont know why you people think WoW is a good game. its pretty bad now. I guess you guys just like games without skill...
    And I had a level 70 warrior with full Season 3 right before S4 came out, so i know what im talking about. I only had to press like 6 keys with a druid and i would win. WoW requires skill in one situation--If you go against someone in the same gear, same class, same spec.
    Or, maybe, to surf the web and find guides on those scripted bosses that are ALWAYS the same.

Another superman .... sigh ....

that's why only 1.2% of all guilds can down the last boss in Sunwell

and ... Al Akir is one of the best PvP/PVE servers btw. (more than half of the servers didn' teven down the last 2 bosses 0.0%)

http://www.wowjutsu.com/eu/alakir/

I guess you belong to that 1% or less number of players.... if it's true

Name of Avatar and server pls, just to be sure :))) so we can check and contact you ... hero.

I know one of these raiders: 100 trials per Boss is no exception (at 6 raids per week )

Yep so easy .... a 6 year old can do it.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by bodypass

Another superman .... sigh ....

that's why only 1.2% of all guilds can down the last boss in Sunwell

and ... Al Akir is one of the best PvP/PVE servers btw. (more than half of the servers didn' teven down the last 2 bosses 0.0%)

http://www.wowjutsu.com/eu/alakir/

I guess you belong to that 1% or less number of players.... if it's true

Name of Avatar and server pls, just to be sure :))) so we can check and contact you ... hero.

I know one of these raiders: 100 trials per Boss is no exception (at 6 raids per week )

Yep so easy .... a 6 year old can do it.

um, not sure what game you're talking about.  wow is all about timesink and scripted play.  if you have enough people that have lots of time to waste repeating the same boring instance over again and again and again x30+ times; then yeah, everything in wow is easy-peasy -- just boring and time consuming.

same as it was before tbc, same as it'll be after wotlk.

wow isn't HARD.  hard and difficult are definitely not words to use to describe wow.  repetitive and extremely time-consuming are good words for it.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

DARKFALL 08!! YES WE CAN

Sorros of Forumfall.

HAI FORUMFALLERS!

sorry, your sig cancels out good points you might have made.  only 3 months left in '08... how's that beta going?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Another day, another worn out thread...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

i really don't get the subject.

raid/gear-centric timesink fantasy is not the only genre out there.

there's at least 3 pirate MMOs that have nothing to do with competing with wow.

there's one super-hero game out and two in production that have nothing to do with competing with wow.

none of the pvp-centric fantasy games have anything to do with competing with wow.

sci fi games like the matrix, anarchy online, eve, swg etc, have nothing to do with competing with wow.

just glancing to the left... world war II online, second life, roma victor, planetside, phantasy star universe... a number of others that may/maynot fall into the above categories -- have nothing to do with competing with wow.

toon town, hello kitty online -- two MORE games that have nothing to do with competing with wow.

there's really very few western games that would be considered to be of the same genre as wow, in order to be competing WITH wow.

any game with complex character development or centered around pvp... these are also not competing with wow.

so, we're looking at.... eq, eq2, uo, lotro, i guess aoc (until they get that endgame pvp installed and working), maybe ddo, maybe lineage II...

there's really not that many games which would be considered to be of the same "genre" as wow, that i can see.

what about the two spy games which are in development?  are any of the 11 games in development listed on the left... games which would be of the pve-gear-raid-centric fantasy genre?

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

No, but you can be sure the WoW fanbois will come out by the droves and call them down all the same.

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by damian7

i really don't get the subject.

Well all can be answered with this ...

http://www.edge-online.com/news/analyst-warhammer-base-level-off-250-300k

Now ... we have had the biggest FAntasy Lore of Middle Earth possible LOTRO : Wow didn't move an inch

The biggest hype possible : AoC

The biggest games dealer possible (EA although I don't know if that was a good thing): War with EA

The biggest MMO developper (and orginal UO) possible: Tabula Rasa

The biggest hole in he market possible (Wow 2 years without an new expansion) AND a combined effort: AoC and WAR

Its so called weak spot targeted with the biggest hole in timing: PvP

And....despite from having a first 15 days of yelling fanboys of each game all over the place, guess what game will have the market in its pocket in Jan 09 ?

Perhaps ---- just perhaps ---- and with each new launch it becomes a certainty ---- your views and all those other boys/girls up here at mmorpg-nerd.com just don't match with reality. Meaning it is just a terrific - extreme - game experience a lot of people want to pay for.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Real Massive game will never compete with WoW, just because merket for ppls that like massive gameplay is too little. The key success of WoW is that on practice ppls do not play it as MMO but as a multiplay game.

Because of this WoW must compete with other multiplayer games than with MMOs.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • johnnyboy666johnnyboy666 Member Posts: 80

There are many games out there that could compete with WoW.  There's Final Fantasy, Guild Wars, Lineage II, Warhammer etc. Each of these games have something to offer that isn't found in other games. But, if you guys like more strategic combat, try this new game, Atlantica Online.

• lordlapselordlapse Member Posts: 231

I'm playing OBT right now, and I can say that the strategy part of the game is really not that much of a strategy. Its more of action because of the number of seconds per game. Hopefully WoW would really make some bad expansions, because i think its popularity is slowing down the development of other upcoming games by Blizzard.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Does not every mmo compete with wow?

That they do not have as many subscribers does not mean they are not successful or profitable.

• GamewizeGamewize Member Posts: 956

Who can say where the road goes?
    Where the day flows? Only time.
    And who can say which MMOs,
    Will be great pros? Only Time

Who knows? Only Time.
    Who cares? Only Time.

I think it's the objective of your past self to make you cringe.

• UberA13cUberA13c Member Posts: 5

I played EQ for 5 years, WoW for about 3 1/2 and playing Age of Conan now, kinda. . . . The only thing competeting with WoW I see is the KOTOR MMORPG, assuming thats what its gonna be and all. Name will take that game a long way, hopefully a lot of time will be put in to the game pre-release. WoW is so succesful because of all the new succesful things it brought in to the genre.  All you guys talking about underground MMO's, I get what your saying. A lot of these lower population mmo's do a certain thing very well and are usually more challenging. Remember there is a reason to all the success Blizzard has made off this game. It's appealing to all people, usually casual more so than anything. Good marketing also, obviously.  A big flaw towards WoW, I believe personally, is it's diffuculty. I don't think it's quite as challenging anymore, as I could be wrong, maybe it's just me. The fact that everyone runs around in the same exact gear; example arena gear. Why raid when you can easily pvp.

Set aside from all the ranting about the game, it's the most polished one out.  Overall it's the best MMORPG out, I believe, I just kinda got tired of it.  They don't do anything probably the best, but they do everything the 2nd best.  Widely populated well ran game. 

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by iZakaroN

Will anyone ever compete Minesweeper?
    Even its not bad game, for me WoW is one of the worst MMOs released ever, so I cannot immagine it to compete with any game.

And this brilliant comment here, illustrates exactly WHY there are so many different games and genres.  This person states that World of Warcraft, with it's 10 million players, is "one of  the worst MMOs released ever."   Obviously, his taste in games is fairly different, and probably vastly superior to that of those 10 million players.

And on a side note:

If WoW is one of the worst MMOs ever released....

I would SERIOUSLY like to have the bank account of one of the BEST released MMOs ever.

KACHING!!!

By the way....what MMOs do you think are the BEST MMOs ever released?  I'm just curious.....

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• shad0w99shad0w99 Member Posts: 168

I honestly don't think it's possible. The only thing that can kill WoW is WoW....

No game is ever going to compete with it now, it's reputation is just too great to ever catch up. Unless they screw it up big time (Which is unlikely as Blizzard tend to play things safe) we'll be seeing WoW for a long time and it will probably just slowly fizzle out.

It would be nice if the game developers realized this and stopped trying to get a slice of the WoW cake, because they're all failing miserably. I'd like to see these companies get their creative hats on. If people want a WoW-clone, they'd just play WoW. Why play a (not so)cheap knock off when you can play the real thing. Make something new dammit!

MMOs played (In order of how much I've liked them): Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Vanguard, City of Villains / Heroes, Guild Wars, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Anarchy Online, Ryzom, Final Fantasy XI, Matrix Online, RF Online, Rappelz, Hero Online, Roma Victor

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Better game, not a better MMORPG will compete with it. As it stands now, WoW is the best Game of all the MMORPGs.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I think before one answers that you have to ask yourself how did WOW become so successful in the first place. Three simple reasons, Stacraft,Diablo and Warcraft all legendary successful games. The game set the tone for Blizzard to become majorly successful because of these games. People now know every single time Blizzard will produce a quality prodect and people buy their games as proof of this.

The only company that comes to mind and follows in the same tradition as Blizzard does is Bioware. Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Kotor, Jade Empire and Mass Effect, all great games that sold a ton. Now today Bioware is known as one of the best game makes of today. People trust Bioware products and it shows in their sales the same way it does with Blizzard.

• dikkydikky Member CommonPosts: 261

WoW is a cultural phenomenon. People who aren't even into video games know what WoW is, but all other mmos are enigmas to the general public.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by spartanp1

I originally played EQ, and LOVED that game.
    I see WAR as a good game, but not a WoW. I really wished vanguard would of stepped it up and taken an extra 3 months... DarkFall's website looks pretty lame, and I doubt thatll even touch WoW population (probably touch Warhammers if anything)... Wheres the next MMO at?...

WoW competes with every game on the market for subscribers. WoW loses subscribers to other games everyday, but other games has never been much of a threat as can been seen by its latest figures (10million subs).

If any game will come close, it will be WAR. We will just have to wait and see.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by spartanp1

I originally played EQ, and LOVED that game.
    I see WAR as a good game, but not a WoW. I really wished vanguard would of stepped it up and taken an extra 3 months... DarkFall's website looks pretty lame, and I doubt thatll even touch WoW population (probably touch Warhammers if anything)... Wheres the next MMO at?...

The question should be:

SHOULD anyone ever compete with WOW, my personal answer is: NO we only need more games and not games that compete with each other. The more we get the more change we have in finding the right game to enjoy.