Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAR still lagging after upgrades and tweaks. Please look.

DarkozlDarkozl Member Posts: 8

I want to say first that I know a few people that are playing with NO lag at all on my same server, so it is probably not because the game is simply new (WAR is a very polished game for being released only a few days ago)

Here are all the the specs and facts that could be affecting my gameplay (items marked with an aterisk (*) are things that were upgraded):

RAM: 2GB (two 1G sticks)*

Processor: Pentium 4 (3.2 GHz)

PC: Dell Dimension 8400

Graphics Card: GeForce 8600 GT (w/ DDR2 RAM)*

PSU: 400 Watts*

Connection: AT&T Broadband DSL (downloads files at 200 kb/s so you get an idea of the speed)*

Other Notes:

- The following ports were opened on my 2wire router for Warhammer Online:

(TCP)

Port range 1164-1380

(UDP)

33100-33500

- Ran FFXI Online at a download rate of 20 kb/s with little to no lag

- Cannot upgrade to above 2GB RAM with Windows XP 32-bit (shouldn't need to, though)

- GeForce 8600 has been set to Fast Performance (Worst quality graphics but smoother running)

- WAR has been set to Fastest Framerate setting (no bells and whistles. Bare bones setting.) Also, the Profanity Filter is off.

- Hardware my PSU is running: 1 HD, 1 GeForce 8600 GT (DDR2 RAM), 2 1GB DDR2 RAM sticks, 1 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 CPU, a standard desktop Motherboard. It is running ZERO disc drives.

- No Anti-Virus is running.

- No background processes are being started at startup.

I'm still experiencing a lot of lag, especially in PvP. After upgrading my graphics card, there was slightly less lag, but it's still there.

PLEASE LEAVE SUGGESTIONS. THANK YOU.

Comments

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

Is it that you cannot upgrade to more Ram on your Motherboard? because XP can read up to 3.5gb of ram  if you can i would upgrade this to 4GB as when underload WAR runs at approximately 1.2 gb of ram,

9not leaving you much really) the only other thing i can think of is the Processor but it should be ok i have the same Video card 512mb ver but with 4gb ram and an AMD 5200+ on Window's XP home edition and get little to no lag even in Scenario's and open RVR.

Unsure of what else to tell you really sorry.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • woody1974woody1974 Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by Darkozl

I want to say first that I know a few people that are playing with NO lag at all on my same server, so it is probably not because the game is simply new (WAR is a very polished game for being released only a few days ago)
    Here are all the the specs and facts that could be affecting my gameplay (items marked with an aterisk (*) are things that were upgraded):

Connection: AT&T Broadband DSL (downloads files at 200 kb/s so you get an idea of the speed)*
    Other Notes:
    (TCP)

Port range 1164-1380

(UDP)

33100-33500
    - Cannot upgrade to above 2GB RAM with Windows XP 32-bit (shouldn't need to, though)
    - GeForce 8600 has been set to Fast Performance (Worst quality graphics but smoother running)
    - WAR has been set to Fastest Framerate setting (no bells and whistles. Bare bones setting.) Also, the Profanity Filter is off.
    - Hardware my PSU is running: 1 HD, 1 GeForce 8600 GT (DDR2 RAM), 2 1GB DDR2 RAM sticks, 1 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 CPU, a standard desktop Motherboard. It is running ZERO disc drives.
    I'm still experiencing a lot of lag, especially in PvP. After upgrading my graphics card, there was slightly less lag, but it's still there.

Your good on memory and HD and even video card, all seem sufficient to me, but check to make sure your video drivers are up to date. Your connection speed you said :

That seems a bit low, even for DSL, since you don't share connection with anyone else. I use Road Runner and I get 500-600KB download speed.

Another thing to check, make sure you have adequate cooling fans or slot fans to keep your pc cool inside. I had a pc once that didn't have good cooling and it had a tendacy to lock up the computer while in game.

• TrexorTrexor Member Posts: 44

change your settings you fastest framerate?

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by woody1974

Originally posted by Darkozl

Other Notes:
    (TCP)

Port range 1164-1380

(UDP)

33100-33500

Your good on memory and HD and even video card, all seem sufficient to me, but check to make sure your video drivers are up to date. Your connection speed you said :

That seems a bit low, even for DSL, since you don't share connection with anyone else. I use Road Runner and I get 500-600KB download speed.

Another thing to check, make sure you have adequate cooling fans or slot fans to keep your pc cool inside. I had a pc once that didn't have good cooling and it had a tendacy to lock up the computer while in game.

Actually that DSL speed is fine just a lower Bandwith  that's all i have the Fastest for my Area and i onlt download at 156kb/s 90% of the time and occasionally break 174kb/s every now and again.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • DarkozlDarkozl Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Trexor

change your settings you fastest framerate?

Please read the whole post.

Thanks for the quick feedback, guys.

I forgot to mention that there was a driver update for my card yesterday, and I installed it. The problem persists.

Yes, 200 kb/s is slow for DSL, especially when we're paying $30/mo. but this is because I live way out in the country, nowhere close to a city. I suspect the problem is still hardware-related, though, because my computer is always grinding like mad.

By the way, does anyone know how to change WAR to 800 x 600? I want to try that, but it's not an option in the dropdown box.