Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game freezes, monitor powers off. Pls help

Hello all, I am suffering from a game freeze that then leads to monitor powering off and I have to do a hardreboot to solve the issue. I don’t know how to resolve this issue at all. I have tested probably 10 different drivers, new, old, direct update and with different settings and so on. Took out my vid card, cleaned it and tested that. Nothing works. This seems as a common issue, but nowhere has there been a solution to the issue, specially not from customer support. They are all silent even if I have contacted them multiple times now. Other games that are much more graphic heavy and with more players runs much smoother also and never crashes, so cannot identify any issues with my rig at all.

Thanks in advance from a desperate player!

The tank that is born to tank!

Comments

• ZertyrZertyr Member UncommonPosts: 263

Many seems to be suffering from this, have not seen a good solution for it. Hope for new drivers that work or that mythic fixes it

• nytlemgrnytlemgr Member Posts: 50

I also experienced this, luckily I no longer do. The only thing I've done differently, which I'm no certain if it is the fix, was to uninstall the beta client and reinstall the game using disks. This actually seems to have fixed multiple problems for me. If you haven't does this I would say give it a try, what do you have to lose?

• SoraellionSoraellion Member UncommonPosts: 558

Sounds like an overheating videocard. Try playing with the casing taken off and (if possible) a table fan directed at the innards of your computer case, just to see if it makes a difference.

• KereboKerebo Member Posts: 131

There has been some people with superb rigs getting this error also. Seems wierd that WAR would overheat graph cards but more graphic heavy games does not. Perhaps it has to do with how well the graphics engine is created.

new nvidia drivers up now on official site if thats your card.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

your monitor shutting off or your graphics card shutting down is usually the greatest indicator of over heating from my personal experience. Also which vid card do you have?

• DeridiumDeridium Member Posts: 99

Think this issue is more on Mythics side.

There can be only one

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by miagisan

your monitor shutting off or your graphics card shutting down is usually the greatest indicator of over heating from my personal experience. Also which vid card do you have?

This.

When I troubleshoot my PC I generally look at the usual suspects:   bottlenecks, power supply issues, and overheating.  If those fail, then its a software (driver) issue.

Judging by what you have said, I concur that this sounds like an overheating problem.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Issues like this can be very difficult to solve - getting a BSoD is way better because then you got some data to go of on.

All isn't lost though. First off, is the rest of the computer still running? That means, can you hear sound in the background as it would normally, or is the sound looping?(This is very important - A graphics card overheating would in most cases - if not all - make the computer "stuck")

Also, have you checked the event viewer for any useful information?

There is also a very good chance that it's not overheatting. Issues like this can as easily be attributed to software and drivers problem as it can to hardware problems. Furthermore I'd say most problems people experience are software-related - That's at least my experience.

Finally, write your full specifications and more about the problem. Any pattern to when it happens? Or is it randomly? You could check your temps with HWMonitor to be sure that it isn't heat related(which I doubt it is)

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

Yep i am almost certain this is a Overheating problem, this wont be a Mythic issue if anything they will make your comp hang but should not affect your monitor powering off, i had this issue once before and it was confirmed as a Vid overheating issue i took the easy option and just bought a new Card, However i am not suggesting this to you cause as a few others had stated let us know a few more details, card make, when it occurs is it frequent or random e.t.c try a little program called speedfan found here http://www.almico.com/speedfan435.exe and check your sys temperatures. Hope to hear from ya soon with some more info.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • sadnebulasadnebula Member UncommonPosts: 263

had this problem with aoc and war. I had  4 virus's that avast didn't catch that led to a couple of files going corrupt. one in the video section, one a curse gaming file.  had to  redo not only the vid drivers but all the support software along with it .   strange, as I had a nividia  card then changed to ati , both did same thing in aoc. only used ati in war.

Scanner I used to catch the bugs after seeing the corrupted files is prevx csi. avast didn't catch them.  This problem only showed it's self  during the newer games , wow, watching a vid,  caused nothing.  and it had the same char's as a temp shutdown when it appeared in the games.  temp was being monitored during shutdowns so this wasn't the problem, also had changed drivers on both cards several times  along with updating other system drivers. very strange problem that drove me nuts. 

you may want to try a program called malwhere to check your processes, during a ctr-alt-del . this program will tell you what all the exe files are that  are running on your computer helps find stuff that can be shut down safely

Off Topic but has to be said.

Very nice to see people actually trying to help someone like this. You guys posting here with good suggestions and help, keep it up, shows that the forums is not filled with jerks who just flame anyone who says anything bad about war or the whiners who complain about all. THERE IS STILL HOPE! :)

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

heh i had the same problem with AoC all that I needed to do was update my video driver and BAM! it was fixed

• AuxerAuxer Member Posts: 115

I have tried two different video cards with same error. ATI 2600 HD and a 9800 PRO, when the monitor powers off I still hear sounds from ingame. I was worried it was overheating so added to selfpowered fans to relief the graphiccard, no change and it should be very well cooled atm. I can give you more info when I get home later.

Thanks for all the great answers people, will try to give you the info you need to make a qualified guess about the issue. This is btw what I get for not knowing computers :)

• AuxerAuxer Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

heh i had the same problem with AoC all that I needed to do was update my video driver and BAM! it was fixed

Done that, tested about 10 different ones and driver cleaned between.

• BazelleBazelle Member UncommonPosts: 5

I have had the same problem from the time I installed it on launch day!.....

....blank screen hearing the odd sound looping, time to reset AGAIN!!! ARRRRR!!!

Its more likely to happen when a lot of activety is go'in on.....like in RvR is a nightmare!!!....hiting keys & mov'in mouse quickly about.

Have stressed my setup for over a 24h period without now problems at all both GFX card & my CPU/Memory, all fine.

The problem ONLY happens when I play WAR!

-- Minimized the problem by...

Lower the effects to Balanced or Fastest Framerate & using window mode rather than full screen...hasnt stopped do'in it thou.

...o...my card is a NVIDIA 9600 GT...had now problems uptil now!

Its got to be game related! -- Baz

• ValdecirValdecir Member Posts: 31

A failing power supply also produces symptoms like this... often only when it is facing the higher demands for power that playing a computer game bring about.

So, you can probably check temps since that's the easiest thing to do.  If the problem persists, consider the power supply as a suspect.

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

I don't know if this reply is helpful or even relevant, but I've had a problem with an 'Authentication failed - application will now terminate' error at log-in stage on this game.

From what I've been able to establish, others have been getting it too and it has to do with your broadband. My broadband is throttled in the evenings because I download too much, and it's in the evenings that the problem emerges.

I was able to solve it by turning off absolutely every other process and just running with the bare essentials.

Anyone else getting this problem??

• aurickaurick Member Posts: 317

Monitor losing its signal and going black while still being able to hear the game sounds is exactly what was happening to me not too long ago with a couple other games.  It was driving me nuts because I have a GTX 280 OC, a case with exceptional cooling, and a more than sufficient power supply.

Guess what?  My card was overheating.

Get a program called RivaTuner.  The first thing you want to do is turn on its monitor and leave that running with a graph of the GPU core temperature.  Also find a review of your card online that includes temperature performance so that you'll know what is considered normal for your card.  (The GTX 280 for example runs a good 20 degrees hotter under load than any other card I've ever seen, but that's normal for it.)  You'll be able to see very quickly just how hot your card is getting, and it can be set to keep a log file.

If you are indeed having a heat problem, you can use RivaTuner to set up profiles such as "FanSpeed 80%" and "FanSpeed 100%".  Then you can schedule those events to occur within specific temperature ranges.  When I'm playing my games, my card gets hotter and RivaTuner starts speeding the fan up to compensate.  Now when I play WAR or other games the card stays comfortably in the high 60's (which is the fan 80% range for me) and only occasionally spikes to over 70 (which is when the fan jumps to 100%).  I've never had a problem since.

nVidia's drivers with the performance monitor are supposed to control fan speed.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work worth a damn.  RivaTuner works well. 

• ekimmuchildeekimmuchilde Member Posts: 3

I had a similar problem a few months ago, and initially thought it was an overheat as well.  What it actually turned out to be was an interaction with the video card and the motherboard.  It appears to have been a known error with certain quad core boards, but they released it anyhow.  However, an update to the BIOS seemed to have fixed this.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

what you could also try is this, if you think its mythic software. Load up the game, uncheck full screen mode and match the windowed resolution to your fullscreen, and also uncheck the windowed border option, you can play it now in windowed full screen mode (looks like full screen but it is windowed) and see if that maybe helps.

• DeridiumDeridium Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by aurick

Monitor losing its signal and going black while still being able to hear the game sounds is exactly what was happening to me not too long ago with a couple other games.  It was driving me nuts because I have a GTX 280 OC, a case with exceptional cooling, and a more than sufficient power supply.
    Guess what?  My card was overheating.
    Get a program called RivaTuner.  The first thing you want to do is turn on its monitor and leave that running with a graph of the GPU core temperature.  Also find a review of your card online that includes temperature performance so that you'll know what is considered normal for your card.  (The GTX 280 for example runs a good 20 degrees hotter under load than any other card I've ever seen, but that's normal for it.)  You'll be able to see very quickly just how hot your card is getting, and it can be set to keep a log file.
    If you are indeed having a heat problem, you can use RivaTuner to set up profiles such as "FanSpeed 80%" and "FanSpeed 100%".  Then you can schedule those events to occur within specific temperature ranges.  When I'm playing my games, my card gets hotter and RivaTuner starts speeding the fan up to compensate.  Now when I play WAR or other games the card stays comfortably in the high 60's (which is the fan 80% range for me) and only occasionally spikes to over 70 (which is when the fan jumps to 100%).  I've never had a problem since.
    nVidia's drivers with the performance monitor are supposed to control fan speed.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work worth a damn.  RivaTuner works well. 

OP listed ATI cards, that software work with ATI?

There can be only one

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I've had this happening kinda randomly...  My system is vista 64 with an nvidia 8800gtx.  I almost never crash with games esp where it locks my whole system.  But war definitely has a bug.  I have been playing vanguard a lot in the past couple months and I never have any crashes at all.  War I've had variable results.  I think a patch might have introduced the problem since the first day I played like 8 hours no problem.  Now sometimes a couple hours and it locks.  It might be a resource issue cause yesterday I was running both war and vanguard at the same time in two windows.  Yeah yeah why would I do this, I had a guild group in vanguard and my guild on war wanted to make a guild so we were meeting up to make the guild.  So I was running both although mostly playing vanguard.  Anyway running like this the computer locked up with a black screen in about an hour.  Maybe chance or maybe with both war and vanguard running the resources were even less??

Interestingly I could play both war and vanguard without a problem :P  Esp critical in vanguard since I was doing crowd control doing the final CIS quest which is some tough mobs :)

---
    Ethion

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

I gotta say I think people are way to quick to say either overheatting or PSU problem. Yes, it does have similar symptoms, but software issues could make the exact some problems - and if they are limited to on game, I'm leaning towards software issue instead.

You've changed graphics card and you still get the same problem? It might be related to other device drivers. Try updating your sound card and network drivers. Actually try reading this thread : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/186968

It was a guy who had a problem with 2Moons - exact same problem. Black screen - says no signal - have to reboot. The fix was to update the sound drivers. Obviously this doesn't mean that it's 100% certain that updating sound drivers will fix it, but it just shows that issues like that easily be caused by old soundcard drivers.

Remember, sound and network drivers still make calls all the way down to the kernel, so just because you get a black screen, doesn't mean it's GPU related.

To sum up:

- Update sound drivers first

- If that doesn't help, update network drivers

• BazelleBazelle Member UncommonPosts: 5

Thought i'd let you all know that the NVIDIA drivers have been updated today to version 178.13.

I'm g'na give them ago!