Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Controls for this game SUCK

Kazzdude1Kazzdude1 Member UncommonPosts: 17

This game looks great and all on Youtube and everywhere else. I went to play it earlier to figure out that it is click to move and not only that!!! U have to use right click button. Also to change ur view u have to use mouse to left or right and it gets very annoying. I played for like 2 minutes before giving this game the rating . Hmmm Out of 10 I would giv this game a ...... heck probly a 1/2 out of 10. The graphics are kinda glitchy and screwed up. The character creation is only good thing bout this game. The controls are the WORST CONTROLS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A GAME SINCE I PLAYED GOLDEN EYE ON THE PS2 . This game was going to be fun... I see why they made it free to play. If I were anybody about to play this game. I would go back to the other game I was playing because this game is a waste of time.

Realise the impotence of proof reading everything you publish

Comments

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

You get used to point and click movement very quickly. If you would have played more than 2 minutes , you would have seen that

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353

You just learned something today that many, many others discovered a long time ago in a galaxy, far, far away.

• McwallenMcwallen Member UncommonPosts: 70

You gave it a rating without playing more than 2 minutes??? No wonder good games have low ratings... its from people who never try. I said the same thing about the controls and now I could really care less as the controls are completely natural to me. A .5 out of 10 just because its controls arent the same as "WoW" or most other MMOs? Oh well, I personally like to think that Shadowbane isn't the same as WoW. As for graphics, you should've known that ahead of time with the game being a few years old and all.

• V_Repoman_VV_Repoman_V Member Posts: 22

Im actually relieved to hear that its point & click.

i cant seem to get the hang of wasd or even a ps2 controller for that matter he he

graphics dont really matter to me, as long as its not cartoonish

just go play rs instead for now. you can train def or something 

• ObenOben Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Mcwallen

As for graphics, you should've known that ahead of time with the game being a few years old and all.

Few years old is an understatement. 

This game was my first mmorpg, and it's probably the most fun I've ever had in any mmorpg.  The controls and the graphics are yes, bad and out of date.  But the community, random pking, and sieging was just really awesome back in the day.  Group pvp takes skill and teamwork unlike most of new mmorpgs out there.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Kazzdude1

This game looks great and all on Youtube and everywhere else. I went to play it earlier to figure out that it is click to move and not only that!!! U have to use right click button. Also to change ur view u have to use mouse to left or right and it gets very annoying. I played for like 2 minutes before giving this game the rating . Hmmm Out of 10 I would giv this game a ...... heck probly a 1/2 out of 10. The graphics are kinda glitchy and screwed up. The character creation is only good thing bout this game. The controls are the WORST CONTROLS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A GAME SINCE I PLAYED GOLDEN EYE ON THE PS2 . This game was going to be fun... I see why they made it free to play. If I were anybody about to play this game. I would go back to the other game I was playing because this game is a waste of time.

This is the type of poster I hate.  Really, mmorpg.com would be a better community without them.

• V_Repoman_VV_Repoman_V Member Posts: 22

Im back after testing out  SB for about 4 hours.

It really does have awkward controlls.

The whole 'earn skillpoints/go buy ur stats from NPCs' thing is kinda silly.

The character creation is a pain also. I think its possible to make a bad acct design right from the start

Its like you need to make ur 1st acct disposable and make a 2ndary acct after u learn the basics.

In the time i spent playing, no1 even spoke ingame. All i saw were PK anouncements.

There are also 20-somethin buttons at the bottom of the screen, some of which dont seem to do anything.

I spent alot of time reading noob guides & stuff on the sb site before making my 1st acct, and it didnt help much.

This game isnt very newbie friendly.

Im probably gonna uninstall it since it seems like ill never get the hang of it, and ive never liked guilds & stuff

Im not a fan of unfair PvP inwhich high levels can 1-hit lower lvls, or teams can all attack 1 target either.

Im not gonna reply to flame over me not liking the game.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

The "players" that made shadowbane years ago wanted a UO pre-trammel feel to the game.  I think they overshot it by a little bit.

The only way to allow WASD in Shadowbane is to port to a new, faster server arch type.  They made it point and click so the current server would be lag less (less things for the server to do), so that shows how archanic the server really is compaired to todays standards.

All Shadowbane needs is a lot of love, upgrades, and artwork, to compete in this new age of crapware.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• SpookXSpookX Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by V_Repoman_V

The character creation is a pain also. I think its possible to make a bad acct design right from the start
    Its like you need to make ur 1st acct disposable and make a 2ndary acct after u learn the basics.
    In the time i spent playing, no1 even spoke ingame. All i saw were PK anouncements.
    There are also 20-somethin buttons at the bottom of the screen, some of which dont seem to do anything.
    I spent alot of time reading noob guides & stuff on the sb site before making my 1st acct, and it didnt help much.
    Im probably gonna uninstall it since it seems like ill never get the hang of it, and ive never liked guilds & stuff
    Im not a fan of unfair PvP inwhich high levels can 1-hit lower lvls, or teams can all attack 1 target either.

Hahaha the type of player that SB doesnt need. Ahhh Shadowbane the BEST PvP game ever made...whimps not allowed.

• holycannoliholycannoli Member Posts: 236

What killed the game for me wasn't the controls, or the hardcore pvp.

It was the fact that everyone had multiple characters and multi-boxing was common.

Maybe I'm a bit too into roleplay, but hearing in guild chat that someone was gonna log on their other character, and someone else was gonna control two or more at the same time, ruined the immersion for me. To me it turned the game into a simple game and NOT a whole new world for me to lose myself in.

But that's me.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

The controls really suck the fun out of this game.  Im sure after a long time, you become use to it, but its so annoying...

Also im not a huge fan over the fact that your first character is going to be garbage 100% guranteed.  After that i was told that several character or so you will start to be really competative.  I really wanted to get into the hardcore pvp but i really dont want to spend a year getting raped just to start being able to compete.

Other than that its got a really great character/class customization.  If half of these games out now even came close i think it would be a huge hit.

But yeah if they gave an option for even asian point and click stlye for this game it would be a HUGE improvement.  I think that if you were to really spend the time on this game you would probably love it.  Kinda wish i played this in 2003 when it was new, its a bit dated to be getting that involved with imo.

• Originally posted by V_Repoman_V

i guess ya'll didnt realize u can customize the interface anyway u want. this was my first mmorpg that i got seriously into way back in the day. the customization doesnt end at the character screen. if these haters actually took the time to get into the game and play it they actually might enjoy it as much as i did.

• angelsfangangelsfang Member Posts: 93

I never had a problem with the controls when this game first came out, mainly because point and click was the norm and games were mostly 2d isometric back then.  However, i think it'd be ackward now that i've gotten used to WoW's 3rd person WASD.  I'm not a huge fan of WoW but i do prefer theirs, because it gives me more precise control over my character.

Nothing beats Shadowbane's gameplay though, maybe except the old SWG.

• ArkatssonArkatsson Member Posts: 5

Shadowbane had lots of potential, and the fact its still holding on despite being meant for a small (open, meaningful, harsh pvp market) userbase shows greatness. It has lasted 5 years, if Shadowbane had some improvements it coulld of made sure WoW never got very popular. Hopefully Shadowbane Successor (SBG is making a new mmo) will improve upon where Shadowbane failed.

• einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

I had the same experience as the OP when I first started... and started again... and again... I gave it about 2 minutes' attention each time. In my defense, I did not then come here and give it a rating and a poor review based on those two minutes.

One day I decided to force myself to get used to it, and I found that with some attention to your settings it's actually alright. The key is to become comfortable with the camera controls: middle click or alt + left click activate the orbit swinging. It's easy to overlook this because of the default "touch the side of the screen to change the view" setup.

Sadly compounding the problem is the lack of information in the starting areas about what you're supposed to do and where the trainers & vendors are, plus no general chat and a hell of a lot of players who don't speak English - it can be rough going, but it really is the best free game out there except for Anarchy Online, and as an open PVP game it's no slouch either.

einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

I always found shadowbanes controls to be fairly system ...  I have never had any problems with the controls even when I was triple boxing pvp... if you think shadowbanes controls suck or hard then you should stick to kiddies games.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by Camthylion

I always found shadowbanes controls to be fairly system ...  I have never had any problems with the controls even when I was triple boxing pvp... if you think shadowbanes controls suck or hard then you should stick to kiddies games.

Odds are pretty good the OP hasn"t looked at this thread since he wrote over 4 months ago....

• sanskritsanskrit Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by holycannoli

What killed the game for me wasn't the controls, or the hardcore pvp.
    It was the fact that everyone had multiple characters and multi-boxing was common.
    Maybe I'm a bit too into roleplay, but hearing in guild chat that someone was gonna log on their other character, and someone else was gonna control two or more at the same time, ruined the immersion for me. To me it turned the game into a simple game and NOT a whole new world for me to lose myself in.
    But that's me.

The above was what drove me out of SB, which I loved otherwise. I have never seen so many dual boxers in any other game, and think that's taking "gaming" a bit too far. You had your thieves with their dual boxed summon bots ready to warp them out of any danger, healbots, etc. So many people just refused to play the game straight, have never seen so many ur nerds looking for "angles" to be uber in any game, and have played lots of em.

The other thing was accountability. Fake guilds to mask true ownership of towns so you had no idea who to strike back against, multiguilding. Many's the time people in guilds I was in would log in unguilded alts to steal stuff off guildies... cheezy kiddy crap. FFA PvP games with player controlled assets and inventory dropping don't work without accountability unless your only subscribers are 12 yo gankers who never tire of griefing for its own sake.

I find communities full of dual-boxers and quasi exploiters who will bend the gameworld however they can don't make for a fun game.

O yeah and the controls do suck out loud, you get used to this in the way I imagine people get used to using a prosthetic hand, but it's still a prosthetic hand...

• raizzeenraizzeen Member Posts: 185

hmm let me guess... wow was your first mmo wasint it?

• sanskritsanskrit Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by raizzeen

hmm let me guess... wow was your first mmo wasint it?

If that is addressed to me, I was playing SB when it was PTP long before WoW came out, and had played AO for two years before that. SB was a great game,but the interface and controls, though not why I left, were crappy then and remain so today.