Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Actual player reviews

crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Not sure how much longer they are going to keep this thread alive on their forum, since its the devastating truth. I wont bother to explain it or sum it up, the thread on the games forums below covers every angle possible, see what players of all types think. Read pages 1-10 on the link provided, youll get a good feeling on what the majority of players thinks about the game.

http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/ATforum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1676&posts=247&start=1

There it is, take a read while you can.

Comments

• whastingswhastings Member Posts: 26

I don't have a problem with the stamina system per se, but I haven't played it enough to have an opinion on the limits it imposes.

That said, I did play enough to get through the tutorial and levelled up to about 5 or 6.

There are two major things I don't like about Atlantica.

1. It is too foreign. The quest text and NPC conversation may all be spelled correctly, but the underlying concepts and sentence constructions are foreign. There is a fundamental disconnect that I found jarring.

2. Turn based combat. If, for instance, I attack a mob, the screen transitions with a sort of anime effect. Then, where it was just my character standing next to a mob, suddenly I'm on an isolated battlefield with NPCs with me, facing a group of several mobs. That just doesn't make any sense to me. When I run up to attack ONE mob, there should be ONE mob in combat unless they call in friends. I just found the combat silly and incomprehensible. It may be pretty with lots of flashing lights and floating combat text that doesn't really communicate any information. But it wasn't my cup of tea.

Because of these two turn offs, I couldn't get motivated to level past the point where Stamina became a real issue.

Current Game: nothing
    Retired Games: Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft
    Looking forward to: Stargate Worlds, Aion, Earthrise

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by whastings

I don't have a problem with the stamina system per se, but I haven't played it enough to have an opinion on the limits it imposes.
    That said, I did play enough to get through the tutorial and levelled up to about 5 or 6.
    There are two major things I don't like about Atlantica.
    1. It is too foreign. The quest text and NPC conversation may all be spelled correctly, but the underlying concepts and sentence constructions are foreign. There is a fundamental disconnect that I found jarring.
    This is to be expected when you start porting a game from one language over to another.  This may improve with time when they start getting it ready for release.

2. Turn based combat. If, for instance, I attack a mob, the screen transitions with a sort of anime effect. Then, where it was just my character standing next to a mob, suddenly I'm on an isolated battlefield with NPCs with me, facing a group of several mobs. That just doesn't make any sense to me. When I run up to attack ONE mob, there should be ONE mob in combat unless they call in friends. I just found the combat silly and incomprehensible. It may be pretty with lots of flashing lights and floating combat text that doesn't really communicate any information. But it wasn't my cup of tea.

1) You can turn off the fighting effects by unchecking the camera effects in the options menu.
    2) Mobs in Atlantica are actually groups.  When you attack one then you have a group to contend with.  There are scrolls that you can use that will allow you to see what mobs are in a specific group before you attack it.  This is helpful if your looking for a specific mob type for a quest.

3) If you liked the old Final Fantasy type games then this may be a good fit for you.  If you did not like them then it may still be worth a look see before deciding if you like it or not.
    Because of these two turn offs, I couldn't get motivated to level past the point where Stamina became a real issue.

Over all... Atlantica Online during CB1 was a lot of fun to play for greater part of the community.  However, when they introduced the "Stamina" system into the game this caused the majority to give up on this game and caused all the previous "Reviews" to go down the crapper.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Stamina is really going to hurt you later on in the game, 51+ everything is cut in half, and if they play to update it to its final versions of 120 levels, youll be FORCED to use the cash shop if you want to get any progress.  Unless you really like turned based pvp, the kind that matches you up with unfair fights / only occurs a few times a day and at crazy hours for everyone outside america.  Most people who like it or dont care cant see that far into the future, and assume that because they are not running out now at levels 1-35, that later it will be fine, not realizing its cut in half later.  This game IS a grinder, no matter what people say, you WILL nee to grind for days to level up later on, without a limit that is, just like every other game f2p.

Personally i was bored to tears with everything besides the combat after a few weeks, possibly because i was forced to do it more than i wanted to in the end.  no worries though, perfict world beta starts soon and there are plenty of keys left.  no sense playing a game with a horrible combat limit that also is boring, insanely laggy, and with boring quests that really dont tie into the main story line aside from a few slight hints at it.  My guess is that the "i found atlantis" finale will come with some patch a few yers down the line, if ever.

• horizon_holdhorizon_hold Member Posts: 16

I always ran out of stamina at low levels, but only after 5 or so hours, the first day I played I managed to get to LV 19 without running out of stamina.

Of course I always moved forward to find harder battles, I constantly fougth monsters 3 or 4 levels over me, so I keep leveling a lot in exchange for more challenging fights. If you keep killing mobs several levels lower than you then you will obviously keep running out of stamina.

Heck I saw most people beat a boss at LV 20 that I beat at 15 thanks to party, I would rather party and kill the boss now than go grind until Im high enough to hopelessly bash iy.

After LV 25 people start getting more smart as to how they play.

Am LV 70 now in CB 3 and I haven't ran out of stamina since I was LV 35 or so.

• MatutinoMatutino Member UncommonPosts: 64

LOOL

leveled to lvl 5 and made a review ?

You havent seen anything yet...

Stamina is not a problem, I am lvl 55 and I never run out of stamina, and u got 50 stamina/day

This game is not for kids who like hack and slash, its strategy gaming...

Player base is mature and friendly, you wont see "bad talking" never

If u wanna whisper me, my IGN is BeLu

sry for my english, is not my native language.

GL & HF

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472

Some difficulties I faced while playing Atlantica Online

Cb3.

The combat being turn based and the turns dependent on time as well as number of players used, here is a list of problems I faced.

1. When you lag in free league, your time runs out and thus you are unable to use all your characters and so basically you miss turns. This is a major problem I faced in free league. Though I managed to get to division 13 with my level 61 Axe but I could not find any solution to this problem.

2. When your teleportation license runs out and if you are disconnected inside a shadow dungeon you will be compelled to begin a shadow dungeon from the beginning. Now with a few disconnects you are always to walk past all the shadow dungeon monsters to get to 3F or 4F depths. This is a bit irritating. The only solution may be to make or buy the teleportation licenses from the market or the Item Shop.

3. While crafting I have found that the inventory space limitation is a major issue for items like armors and others which do not stack. Other items like bullets and arrows stack and thus we see bullet or arrow crafters or potion crafters do not have to be troubled with this lack of space issue. To be honest, I feel it should be similar for all crafters and thus armors and other non-stackable items should be stacked also.

4. Without Auto – Move or Teleportation license the long walks or runs in the map is a bit too much especially inside the dungeons with higher level monsters roaming around.

5. There is no way to gain Will and hence if you have disconnects then your Will is reset to 0. In free league also disconnects will make you wait for another 8 minutes to get listed again. When sharing information’s your Will is used and thus you cannot share information or teach at speed.

Apart from this it is a wonderful game if played with all the licenses and 7-day

Licenses being a cash shop item I think leveling will not be easy nor will doing the quest be easy without accessing the item shop. It is an F2p game but like most of the other F2p games, here in this game we also see the Item Shop dependency and thus I feel it is more of a scissor to your pocket sort of game. The game is still in beta and I hope the journey to Atlantica Online will be wonderful for all who would like to try the game.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• SeanSchlittSeanSchlitt Member Posts: 1

Ok thought ill post on this game since ive had a very close experience with atlantica

Atm, im lvl 80 and have been for abotu a week now...lvl 80 is the max for those who dont kno and im also well known amongst the community(ign Darkcloud)

first off stam isnt a problem aslong as u go outta ur way to mentor ppl..all u have ot do is go to a list in ur menu and randomly send mentor requests to random ppl below lvl 30 and every lvl they make u get more points which can purchase stam pills...i have over 6k mentor points and i used on average 1-7 stam pills a day(played 4-14 hrs a day =D)

next all licences can b made in the future and can be aquired thru treasure chests(they take 6 min a piece to spawn and get and u can get some awesome stuff), thru old treasure boxes(aquirable with lvl 90+ mobs which solves high lvl problems), and thru quests which give u 1-5 at a time

if ur d/cing then thats the problem of ur comp/internet. perhaps try lowering ur page file usage or reseting ur firmware but dont blame a large companies servers, cause 99% of the time their fine...its just u

i do agree with the will problems...but what can u do? every game has to have an annoyin feature =P

overall the game is the most addictive ive ever played...havng sucked a good 200 hrs out of me in 3 weeks....its more fun than WoW and i havent even reached end game content or cap lvl(yes i played WoW alot so im not spewin crap). also have played LOTS of other mmos and this ranks very very very high among them

1 major problem is the fact that only 3 allies/enemies can fight at one time meanin guild raids r less grouped but if u have vent/ts then u can still communicate and take out each mob in strategy even tho u cant c each other doing it =)

give the game a try and dont give up on it right away....just whisper a random persons name(easiest way is find a guy in artisan menu(which means they have a rly high craft lvl) and type /t *insert name* and a box will open. then type and ask Qs..most ppl will b happy to help u)

if u get a good feel for the game ull absolutely love it

• Lthayer3Lthayer3 Member Posts: 5

I have to say that this is one of the top two MMOs I have ever played (and I have tried many).  Atlantica Online is balanced very well, sufficiently complicated while still being friendly to new users, and has an amazingly user friendly interface.  From what I have seen so far, the current bunch of users are generally friendly and helpful people, too -- something most other MMOs sorely lack.  Due to the incentive to help weaker players and keep a strong guild, there is a good amount of interaction between players.  And due to the quests, there isn't grinding to level up in the way of many other MMOs.

All these positive things, and the game hasn't even entered open beta yet.  So the few problematic areas could conceivably be changed before the development is done!

Now, this game is not the same as single character MMOs.  It has a different feel from WoW and such.  From what I've seen, the people who are bashing Atlantica don't like the game format in general, and are trying very hard to find the flaws that do exist.  It is an amazingly fun and addictive game, though, so you should give it a few hours before you make your own decision about it

• repapipsrepapips Member Posts: 450

Ofcourse theres some bugs or flaws in that gam thats why in undergoes testing phase to fix them up

• SlappanSlappan Member Posts: 289

The stamina system seems to be less of an issue as the player goes up levels. I think the developers are listening to feedback however, and I expect many changes to be made from now until the release.

• tikboitikboi Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Slappan

The stamina system seems to be less of an issue as the player goes up levels. I think the developers are listening to feedback however, and I expect many changes to be made from now until the release.

i hope stamina system stays. if ever developers considered what other players wanted to do wit them, the game will be JUST LIKE ANY OTHER MMORPG game.

• ajeroajero Member Posts: 15

correct me if i'm wrong, but as i played this game, i felt like playing Granado Espada...

The game did get kind of boring after a few weeks, topped off with the stamina system, i kind of just turned me off from the game all together.

Reall i have never sen a game company attempt to keep suck a horrible system in game, despite what the cb1 testers reponse was. Remember, unless your a recent Korean defectee ( maning you just lived in korea) you dont know what the game was like pre stamina.

For some reason i see lots of people now being stamina fans, i just hink they drink too much ndoors koolaid.

What was an average game reall took a turn for the worse with the system, and ndoors refusal to remove it.  It reall serves no purpose as there was never a problem with people not participating in pvp/guilds/mentoring/ect.  Yeah cb1 didnt have any problems, so adding the system is sort of a mystery, seeing as it add nothing to the game.

Either way if your into atlantica i wish you the best of luck, i did have fun with it for a while, but have moved on to warhammer.

a good game if your fed up with the traditional 1 player mmo.

• PustulioPustulio Member Posts: 80

I really like the stamina system because it allows me to get out of my chair for a while, I can usually play for hours without even sleeping, but with stamina system I could take a short nap.

• gellybeansgellybeans Member Posts: 86

Well the game is currently young and there are many more things to fix or to modify but that doesn't mean you're bored playing atlantica. I've played it since the cb phase and now that the ob has started many players are joining the game

Originally posted by gellybeans

Well the game is currently young and there are many more things to fix or to modify but that doesn't mean you're bored playing atlantica. I've played it since the cb phase and now that the ob has started many players are joining the game

No, im fully bored of atlantica and have moved on to a much better game. 

• tikboitikboi Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by crunchyblack

Originally posted by gellybeans

No, im fully bored of atlantica and have moved on to a much better game. 

well, thats a shame. if u could at least experience the game deeper. youll see its difference

• repapipsrepapips Member Posts: 450

OPEN BETA has just started!!! And it opens with a BANG!!! I enjoyed playing my character. My job is archer accompanied by 4 mercs Spearman, 2 swordsmen and a Shaman. I think my combination of mercs are good, I don’t know Im just level 10 so I cant tell whether this build of mercenaries is worth till the end… can you give me some tips in forming my mercenaries? I love to hear from you… and what item is worth to keep, worth to use and worth to sell.. Because my inventroty is knda pile up… I don’t want to toss any items or sell some of those because I don’t know what is important on my journey... Can you help me this one??? Anyone???