Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will anyone ever compete with WoW?

I originally played EQ, and LOVED that game.

I see WAR as a good game, but not a WoW. I really wished vanguard would of stepped it up and taken an extra 3 months... DarkFall's website looks pretty lame, and I doubt thatll even touch WoW population (probably touch Warhammers if anything)... Wheres the next MMO at?...

Fully Black High Gloss Finish ATX Full Tower
GeForce GTX 260 896MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB
I wanna go fast...

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I think the only thing that will slow down WOW is time and some bad expansions......Just think how good Everquest would have been had they released expansions every 2 years instead of every 6 months.....

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I think the only thing that will slow down WOW is time and some bad expansions......Just think how good Everquest would have been had they released expansions every 2 years instead of every 6 months.....

I agree, every 6 months for expansions is outrageous. You don't have time to explore and conquer and enjoy the expansion. Every two years is how it should be or is a fair amount of time for releases. People have time to get gear, enjoy the new features/dungeons and even allows new players to catch up.

I'm sure WoW will see competition eventually, but the way things are going now... no way jose.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

I have stopped playing WoW, because I overplayed it.  I know it is fun for many and as long as they enjoy it, more power to them.

I really don't want to see any game attempt or even overthrow WoW...I like having more than one game being successful. Different strokes for different folks.

One game will never satisfy everyone, but if you can have different genres to please the masses, maybe the competition will actually improve the already successful games by shaking things up a bit. Healthy competition is never a bad thing. Monopoly tends to be.

Only the future holds the answers, and we'll just have to wait and see...

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by spartanp1

I see WAR as a good game, but not a WoW. I really wished vanguard would of stepped it up and taken an extra 3 months... DarkFall's website looks pretty lame, and I doubt thatll even touch WoW population (probably touch Warhammers if anything)... Wheres the next MMO at?...

honestly... why do you care if "anyone will ever compete with wow?"

by comparison to eastern market mmos... there are some with many more millions of subs than wow.

will anyone ever beat mcdonalds and/or burger king?

i'd much prefer a nice steak house or someplace close to the coast with some fresh seafood.  but if those places turn into a chain, i'd be afraid the quality would turn INTO mc/bur...

yes, that is a direct comparison.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Maybe I am elitist, but I don't want  RPG newbies on my MMO's games.  The WoW players can play WoW forver, ever, and that will be a good thing.

• KrazcoKrazco Member Posts: 167

Game gengres are mutch like music gengres... why isn't the same music gengre mainstream & commercial forever?

if you know the answer to this question, you know the answer to this..

you can compare world of warcraft with Trance in europe..

Trance got commercial and mainstream in 1998 and lasted to 2003.. thats 5 years, after that everything that came after that is more or less just clones with the same structure formula.. so they had to make the gengre underground again, so that the gengre didn't die forever.. and now the quality trance starts to come back.

World of warcraft has been out for 4 years now,, and it whas WOW that made MMORPG a Mainstream and Commercial gengre.. before this MMORPG whas Underground gengre, for people with special intrests.

my bet is that if MMO gengres are gonna move forword.. The companys has to stopp making games for money, and put the gengre down to the underground again,

If it continues like today, the gengre will most likely die.. like many of the old beloved gengres..

Where is those good old FMV games?

Want to play: Lego Universe

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

All wowers are blinded by blizzard's probaganda, there will never be a better game for you. For the rest of corse

• spartanp1spartanp1 Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by damian7

by comparison to eastern market mmos... there are some with many more millions of subs than wow.

i'd much prefer a nice steak house or someplace close to the coast with some fresh seafood.  but if those places turn into a chain, i'd be afraid the quality would turn INTO mc/bur...

Why do I care?? Bc I want some competition amongst games, not just WoW burnout... I agree with the EQ comment, every two years and right now we'd be talking about "Will anyone ever compete with EQ?"

Fully Black High Gloss Finish ATX Full Tower
    GeForce GTX 260 896MB
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB
    Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB
    I wanna go fast...

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

No.

MMO gaming hasn't been "right" since pre-Luclin EQ.  Everything that has come since has fallen short, regardless of the presence or absence of financial success.

MMO gamers want and need a "world."  Without a "world", everything feels like a linear game field.

• unknown22unknown22 Member Posts: 159

world of starcraft maybe?

war is peace
    freedom is slavery
    ignorance is strength

big brother is watching you

• pewtpewtpewtpewt Member Posts: 115

WoW isnt very good...but people generally like easy things.

Darkfall is pretty awesome, but i doubt all of the WoW people will come over.

DARKFALL 09!

Apparently 08 didn't make it :(

Sorros of Forumfall.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

Wow, I've never thought about this issue.

I'm so glad someone finally stepped up to the plate to ask whether another MMO will ever beat WoW.

The answer is:  YES.  In 100 years, I doubt anyone will still be playing WoW.

• spritessprites Member Posts: 22

mmorpg.com has become the unoffical wow, war boards.  this just goes to show how depressing the mmo scene is right now if people are struggling to find  any topic to discuss other than wow/war bashing, trolling etc.  i'm glad i got out of mmo's when i did.  talking about them is like a disease, you never get anywhere, theres always something wrong but you can't bring yourself to stop playing.

• lordlapselordlapse Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by sprites

mmorpg.com has become the unoffical wow, war boards.  this just goes to show how depressing the mmo scene is right now if people are struggling to find  any topic to discuss other than wow/war bashing, trolling etc.  i'm glad i got out of mmo's when i did.  talking about them is like a disease, you never get anywhere, theres always something wrong but you can't bring yourself to stop playing.

Now that I think about it, the MMO scene is coming to a downward pull. The graphics maybe improving, but the games are repetitive and boring. I remember the NES/SNES FF days when I was busy figuring out where the hell do I go to find a certain person. However I don't think MMO's are going down just yet. There is one game I'd like to try for a final run. I just hope it works for me. Try it: www.playatlantica.com

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by damian7

Why do I care?? Bc I want some competition amongst games, not just WoW burnout... I agree with the EQ comment, every two years and right now we'd be talking about "Will anyone ever compete with EQ?"

who are the people that played mmos before wow?

how many of those people play wow?

are you anxious for the opportunity to play with the bliznet kids, the go-go-go asian crowd, and the fps kids?  if so, please do play wow and ask what will replace/compete with it.  i'd rather have all those folks in wow, than in the other MMOs.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Took the words right out of  my mouth. That is the very reason I left EQ. Being in a server first type raid guild is very demanding and with an expansion out every six months you have just enough time to complete most of the major content in it before the next one hits. No time to actually savor the content and find all the neat little side quests and stories that were there. Towards the end It was just no fun anymore rushing from the content of one expansion to the next.  The core game of EQ was so solid that even with all the dumbing down SOE hit the game with over the years it was still a solid game from a gameplay point of view.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Will anyone ever compete Minesweeper?

Even its not bad game, for me WoW is one of the worst MMOs released ever, so I cannot immagine it to compete with any game.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i hear solitaire has more subscribers

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• DragonosiDragonosi Member Posts: 13

if you mean a game that has a like number of subs..why bother? i still firmly believe that if you have a fantastic game and "only" 250k players..that is something to be proud of. a good game is more than the number of people playing it.

Dragonosi

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

Any game out with the wow type , talking about 99% of all mmos out there..no one can even get close...including warhammer...

No game is perfect..because you cant please everyone..but checking wow with eyes open, and pay attention to the details, personality..wow is a masterpiece...all other mmos seem like empty, hollow...theres something missing...

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

to be honest who cares. Does anyone fret about Lineage 2 or Runescape numbers when they get so many? nope. If a new mmo is good enough it will pull subscribers from WoW that want something different.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Personally I don't think numbers of players means the game will suit me but it does offer an indication of the games success and after 4 years to a certain extent its quality but I even after this long I cannot see WoW maintaining its throne by expansion packs but hey I thought it was crap after a month so I guess I can never really know.

• lordlapselordlapse Member Posts: 231

I gonna bet a million bucks that 10 years from now WoW will go down! Just kidding Though seriously, if the WoW of today still be played as it is in the next ten years, I really think it will. There is still no Warcraft 4 right? There's still a lot of room for improvement. 

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770

After viewing the world PvP mechanics Blizzard added in WotLK (Lake Winter), everyone can say:

Animation in MMORPG's will never be the same again if you view these fights in Beta WotLK.

Land, tank, Air, you name it with hundreds of objects at a speed of an RTS.

Blizzard just bombarded the "latest Wow killer" back to 2003 again.

MMORPG's won't even be the same anymore after Nov 13th - in smoothness of animation that is -.

It is frightening to see the gap between these techniques and the rest.

That secret Blizz MMO I would very much like to know what it is....btw

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Nothing will ever compete with WoW as long as companies keep making clones of it.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!