Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

warhammer help regarding my hardware

baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

first things first, i know my computer is older than dirt and i need to get a new one. but for now i dont have the cash to do that, just upgrade.

that said i meet all the minimum requirements to play warhammer but the game hitches and lags really bad.

it also crashes to desktop sometimes, here are my specs.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition
ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series

the only thing i am wondering is if i upgrade my graphics card, will this help a lot with the hitching and lag?

i am unable to upgrade the ram anymore due to my crappy MB. but if i can get a new graphics card and if it makes it more playable, i will.

BTW i need a AGP card, thats another thing that kind of sucks, at least until i get a new rig.

any suggestions? :)

Comments

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Can you upgrade your RAM at all? That's going to bottleneck you more than your GPU I would think. You're probably eating a lot of swap file and get your hard drive grinding a lot I would think. If you can get another 1GB of RAm you should notice a pretty significant difference.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Darkholme
    Can you upgrade your RAM at all? That's going to bottleneck you more than your GPU I would think. You're probably eating a lot of swap file and get your hard drive grinding a lot I would think. If you can get another 1GB of RAm you should notice a pretty significant difference. image

my MB is maxed out on ram unfortunately, but the game runs alright if it is not hitching or crashing to desktop, that is my main problem.

i am mainly wondering if it is my card that is making me hitch like that. sometimes when it does it the graphics glitch and you see all these weird purple lines.

also i have to play in windowed mode because everything is dark. my computer is like that in other games too, but there is usually a lighting option to turn the gama up.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

To tell you the truth you have alot of bottlenecks.  Even if you get a new Video Card, your processor is then going to bottlneck your system, then the memory. 

However, If you do upgrade your video card to a more modern one it will potentially play Warhammer.  That video card will not last long though since it will have to be AGP.  This is roughly a $60-$80 upgrade for the best one on your system.  The thing is a brand new machine that can run War more then descently will cost only $400.  Are you sure you wanna pay 1/5th the cost of a full system that will get you descent performance for a part that won't even last you a year if at all?

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Aye, it's getting hard to upgrade 1 thing of a pc lately. Graphic cards require good PSU's. Good PSU's require good cooling and a good main board. Etc. I ended up buying a completely new pc, just for a new graphics card. :D

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.