Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Downloading the trial

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Thought I'd ask a couple questions, first off I have no problem with ganking or dying due to it. It sounds as if the environment here is a bit like EVE yet a little more hostile and harsh, sounds intriguing =). Anyway how does the game function? Seems as though it's quite similar to pirates, am I wrong in this assumption?

When you are ganked do you lose your ship?

When you're new, do you have any chance of surviving an encounter against an experienced player?

What would be the best choice in servers be, to say... get 'weaned' into the action, and not overwhelmed by it?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

Similar to pirates? You mean Pirates of the Caribbean Online, or Sid Meier's?  Never played the first (though I might try it out, out of boredom), but if you mean the latter, yes, it's a bit like that, although more complex at the same time.

If you are ganked, yes, you lose your ship, or at least a durability on it.  Now there is insurance to get part of the cost back, but beware of inflation, which I'm told is rampant. Early in the game, until level 20 or so, you can stick to Fallback ships, which are automatically replaced at no cost, but which are inferior to a non-fallback ship of the same model.

Against an experienced player? No, I don't think you stand a chance, especially if he's far ahead of you in levels.  A level-1 ship cannot compete with a level 20, and a level 20 is easy pickings for a level 50. It's a matter of range, cannon caliber, ship resilience, not to mention captain skills (by which I mean not actual player skill, but magic-spell-type skills that you can choose as you level up). There are exceptions, such as level-15 packetboats used in wolfpack formations, but they are few and far between, and rarely used by people of level 15.

There is not much of a choice these days, as the only decent server that seems to be left, as far as balanced RvR is concerned, is Antigua.  Blackbeard, Rackham and Roberts are either lopsided or moribund, especially on the French and Spanish sides.  If you like a challenge, you might try these out.  I used to play French on Blackbeard in June, and the faction was already pretty much dead. I'm sure the few players playing French or Spanish will welcome you with open arms.

• LinnaLinna Member Posts: 387

Unfortunately, Rackham France has maybe 15 players left in all time zones, and Rackham Spain has maybe 30. The only server where new players can actually expect other players on line at this point is Antigua. Well, unless they roll a British toon, in which case there's still players around, but no one to fight.

Linna