Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheating- The real thing that can hurt WAR

Comments

• Realm-ReaperRealm-Reaper Member Posts: 501
    Originally posted by Lamarak

The ugly truth of MMOs and especially pvp based MMOS is the rampant cheating in these games. WOW a victim of its own success cannot keep up on all the cheat mods, programs, and gold sellers. Its basically why i dont play WOW anymore. PVP cheating is why i dont care for it. Its just a givin that people buy or sell gold and things and flown the white flag. Its why it so hard to know if a person is really good in pvp or just a good hacker, kinda like steriods in sports.
    Now, Im hoping that WAR has a good program and defense against hacking and mods. Just needs to be addressed early and harshly. Its sad that people feel the need to cheat just so they can have some sort of eliteness in a computer game. I know pvp is fun and important but it also brings out the worst in people it seems.
    I want to see WAR to succeed. I just dont want in a year down the road a game full of cheaters and gold sellers.We as a community can help by reporting suspicious behavior and gold sellers.
    Heres to a long productive and fun run for Warhammer Online.

....PunkBuster FTFW!!!...This game is safe!

What is PunkBuster?

PunkBuster is an industry leading software package that assists us in catching hackers, exploiters and cheaters. It is fully integrated into the game client itself and helps to stop cheaters in their tracks.

Why are you doing this?

Our goal is to create a fair and enjoyable environment for everyone in WAR. As an RvR-centric game, it is of paramount importance for players in WAR to know that the other players that they are fighting against do not have an advantage over them simply because they are more technically-savvy and willing to cheat. The history of MMOs is replete with examples of people hacking, exploiting and cheating to gain an advantage over other players and/or the game itself. Over the years in DAoC, we fought a long-battle with those type of people and we have no doubt that now, seven years later, there are more people looking to cheat than ever before as both the audience and reach of these games have expanded. We have shown our commitment to fighting and preventing this type of behavior in DAoC and now with the addition of Punkbuster, we are increasing that commitment in terms of both time and money.

How does it work?

PunkBuster in Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning simply looks for anything suspicious that might be indicative of a player attempting to cheat or use exploits. It reports this information to Customer Support, who will then decide after a full investigation whether or not someone is breaking the rules. The most important thing to know is that it cannot do anything automatically and is only there to help our Customer Support create a more enjoyable game environment. It is also important to note that Punkbuster is just one of the tools in our arsenal to use against cheaters. We will continue to do what we do with DAoC and not just rely on Punkbuster. Our plan is that most people will never even know it's there!

How does PunkBuster stay up to date?

Regular updates will go live via the in game patcher. You don't need to do anything except start up the game like you normally would and everything will stay up to date for you.

Will there be Punkbuster enabled servers and non-enabled servers like in some FPS games?

No, all of our servers will use Punkbuster.

Is there any chance that Mythic will decide not to use Punkbuster?

Yes. While our plans are now to use Punkbuster at launch, we will spend the remaining time left in our Beta test looking very closely at how Punkbuster works within WAR. This is the first time that Punkbuster has been used by an MMO company and we want to be sure that it will not have a negative effect on a player’s ability to enjoy our game. If we find that we need some additional time to ensure that players are not negatively affected by Punkbuster, we will remove it and only activate it when it is ready to go and not before.

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=153

http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php

http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=info.php

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by lugal

I'll admit to buying gold. I dont care if people dont like that. I just cant see wasting what little free time I have on grinding for gold. Its not fun. So, instead of doing something not fun, I'll spend 5 or 10 bucks for a quick infusion of gold to keep myself afloat. I make more than enough money to cover multiple accounts in many games, I just dont have the time to waste grinding.
    If companies were serious about stoping the gold sellers, they need to change how the economy works in games, or they need to sell gold themselves. Those are the only 2 ways to end it the spam, but you will never end gold buying.
    But hacks and cheats, need to banned on first offense. They do that enough, peple will not risk it.

making money is a big part of mmos and i get most fun out trying to make money, mmos are not all about lvling up and using uber endgame gear, its the road towards it. clearly u dont understand that or do u like having everything handed over to u on a golden plate just cause u have enough irl money to dump it in a virtual economy? i had a similar convo when someone joined our AO guild and admitted he made a living off selling virtual money, he defended it by saying he could see his kids all the time, i just found it pathetic... anyway goldselling/powerlvling/buying accounts happen all the time in almost every game, its a part of the mmo genre

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by Realm-Reaper

The ugly truth of MMOs and especially pvp based MMOS is the rampant cheating in these games. WOW a victim of its own success cannot keep up on all the cheat mods, programs, and gold sellers. Its basically why i dont play WOW anymore. PVP cheating is why i dont care for it. Its just a givin that people buy or sell gold and things and flown the white flag. Its why it so hard to know if a person is really good in pvp or just a good hacker, kinda like steriods in sports.
    Now, Im hoping that WAR has a good program and defense against hacking and mods. Just needs to be addressed early and harshly. Its sad that people feel the need to cheat just so they can have some sort of eliteness in a computer game. I know pvp is fun and important but it also brings out the worst in people it seems.
    I want to see WAR to succeed. I just dont want in a year down the road a game full of cheaters and gold sellers.We as a community can help by reporting suspicious behavior and gold sellers.

What is PunkBuster?

PunkBuster is an industry leading software package that assists us in catching hackers, exploiters and cheaters. It is fully integrated into the game client itself and helps to stop cheaters in their tracks.

Why are you doing this?

Our goal is to create a fair and enjoyable environment for everyone in WAR. As an RvR-centric game, it is of paramount importance for players in WAR to know that the other players that they are fighting against do not have an advantage over them simply because they are more technically-savvy and willing to cheat. The history of MMOs is replete with examples of people hacking, exploiting and cheating to gain an advantage over other players and/or the game itself. Over the years in DAoC, we fought a long-battle with those type of people and we have no doubt that now, seven years later, there are more people looking to cheat than ever before as both the audience and reach of these games have expanded. We have shown our commitment to fighting and preventing this type of behavior in DAoC and now with the addition of Punkbuster, we are increasing that commitment in terms of both time and money.

How does it work?

PunkBuster in Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning simply looks for anything suspicious that might be indicative of a player attempting to cheat or use exploits. It reports this information to Customer Support, who will then decide after a full investigation whether or not someone is breaking the rules. The most important thing to know is that it cannot do anything automatically and is only there to help our Customer Support create a more enjoyable game environment. It is also important to note that Punkbuster is just one of the tools in our arsenal to use against cheaters. We will continue to do what we do with DAoC and not just rely on Punkbuster. Our plan is that most people will never even know it's there!

Regular updates will go live via the in game patcher. You don't need to do anything except start up the game like you normally would and everything will stay up to date for you.

Will there be Punkbuster enabled servers and non-enabled servers like in some FPS games?

Yes. While our plans are now to use Punkbuster at launch, we will spend the remaining time left in our Beta test looking very closely at how Punkbuster works within WAR. This is the first time that Punkbuster has been used by an MMO company and we want to be sure that it will not have a negative effect on a player’s ability to enjoy our game. If we find that we need some additional time to ensure that players are not negatively affected by Punkbuster, we will remove it and only activate it when it is ready to go and not before.

Nice to know EA is doing something about the Hackers...they ruin everything!

• scribe331scribe331 Member Posts: 71

There will always be cheaters and there will always be gold sellers.  All you can do as a responsible player is to 1) not buy their gold and report them and 2) report cheaters you see using hacks.  However most importantly, and I often get upset and have to take a step back, dont let a video game piss you off for more then 1 minute no matter what.  Also keep a supply of baby kittens to drown if step 3 doesnt work.  That usually makes me feel better. 

On a side note I often wonder how much of gold selling in mmorpgs involes an "inside" job somebody in the industry or even the developers themselves to make even more money on their product.  Kind of like how in the US drugs are illegal but they really can financially stimulate the economy so a blind eye is often turned, ie Miami in the 1980s?

• If you get beat by someone with better gear you will NEVER know whether they bought that gear or earned it.  Do yourself a favor and stop worrying about it.  People will always buy stuff no matter how many controls you put in place to try and stop it.  

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by Rahzphen

Simple. It's much more time efficient to work IRL and buy the gold, than spend all day farming it. Even if you do work min wage.
    Gold sellers will always find a way around the systems and what not. It's just a fact of life. I personally don't care who buys gold. To each their own.

GOLD BUYER NUB

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

WOW a victim of its own success cannot keep up on all the cheat mods, programs, and gold sellers.

Gold sellers are widespread, yeah.  In fact, it goes well beyond just gold.  Gold itself is near worthless in WoW, so many people outright buy entire equipped characters.  Actual hacks, though?  Get real.

Yeah, there have been serious exploits.

Players riding FP gryphon in Ironforge?

Yep.  Fixed in about a week.  Most servers never even saw it, and I only saw it once.

Unlimited gold duping exploit?

Fixed in one day along with a rollback to avoid economic damage.

Terrain exploits in BG's?

Yeah, this _was_ cheating in PvP, and it did last a while.  They have since removed just about all of them, though.  It was obvious when somebody was doing that, too, and reported violators were sometimes banned.

And there are still plenty of exploits regarding rare mob spawns and raid boss spawns.  I would know.  I know most of them.

None of these were an actual hack, aside from maybe the gryphon thing.  Never did figure out how they did that.  And aside from the terrain exploits in early versions of the BG's, most of which have been removed, none affected PvP.  Are you just paranoid when people kick your ass or do you actually have some particular hack in mind?  Seriously, go ahead.  Ask me if there's some behavior you've seen if you think it's a hack.

As far as cheating in WAR goes, it will probably be like WoW.  A few exploits will crop up here and there, and Mythic will smash them.  Punkbuster will not do shit.  Just to let you know, PB scans for known hack programs and either bans or kicks the users using them.  If you get to the point where you need PB on a MMORPG, you've already lost.  It's far more likely that Mythic has hired Even Balance to deal with botters.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Force_Fire

What is PunkBuster?

Why are you doing this?

How does it work?

you think just because the server are run by punkbuster it will stop hackers . dont know much about punkbuster . it took pb years to get AAO 60% hack free . once this game as been out for a bit and it runs smooth . im sure there will be hack out there . just like wow been in so many arena fights seeing people useing stuff . make me mad knowing there jack i can do . just stand there and get beat . when some one running round on mount in arena healing and hitting you for loads dmg . that when throw in the white flag give up

• Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by skullquaker

What is PunkBuster?

Why are you doing this?

How does it work?

you think just because the server are run by punkbuster it will stop hackers . dont know much about punkbuster . it took pb years to get AAO 60% hack free . once this game as been out for a bit and it runs smooth . im sure there will be hack out there . just like wow been in so many arena fights seeing people useing stuff . make me mad knowing there jack i can do . just stand there and get beat . when some one running round on mount in arena healing and hitting you for loads dmg . that when throw in the white flag give up

Skull....

Just cause you say it, don't make it true. You need to post links to back up your claims. Otherwise you are a Troll and should be shot!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

I dont think very many companies want to get rid of gold sellers to tell teh truth...The reason why is they are usually paying customers......Also if it keeps other players interested by buying gold then companies dont want to lose those players also......I have never had any trouble making money in any game and could never understand why players bought gold but it has been a rampant problem in every game I have played except for Ryzom......As for mods and other hacks, yeah WoW let it go way too far......They shouldnt allow in any IMO....Like others have said you dont know who is actually a good PVPer and who is a good cheater in these games anymore.........

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

What is PunkBuster?

Why are you doing this?

How does it work?

Skull....

Just cause you say it, don't make it true. You need to post links to back up your claims. Otherwise you are a Troll and should be shoot

dont need to prove any thing been playing AAO SINCE 2003  seen that many hacks on there  . seen  what pb can do  i dont have much faith in them  .every game i have  installed on my pc that has pb running  . i can sure as hell find hack for  that will by pass pb and work . . 

you should find out more about pb befor you say how good they are . .  sorry i just dont have that much faith in them . it will do the job  pick few up  . wont pick the  hardcore  hacks up . go find any  hack forum  see for your self

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by 3on1

I'll admit to buying gold. I dont care if people dont like that. I just cant see wasting what little free time I have on grinding for gold. Its not fun. So, instead of doing something not fun, I'll spend 5 or 10 bucks for a quick infusion of gold to keep myself afloat. I make more than enough money to cover multiple accounts in many games, I just dont have the time to waste grinding.
    If companies were serious about stoping the gold sellers, they need to change how the economy works in games, or they need to sell gold themselves. Those are the only 2 ways to end it the spam, but you will never end gold buying.
    But hacks and cheats, need to banned on first offense. They do that enough, peple will not risk it.

making money is a big part of mmos and i get most fun out trying to make money, mmos are not all about lvling up and using uber endgame gear, its the road towards it. clearly u dont understand that or do u like having everything handed over to u on a golden plate just cause u have enough irl money to dump it in a virtual economy? i had a similar convo when someone joined our AO guild and admitted he made a living off selling virtual money, he defended it by saying he could see his kids all the time, i just found it pathetic... anyway goldselling/powerlvling/buying accounts happen all the time in almost every game, its a part of the mmo genre

You are an idiot who fails at reading comprehension.

You make broad statements about my character yet you have nothing to base it off of. Pull your head from your rear. Also, your grammar is by the worst I have seen on these forums, making mine look perfect.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• Kruniac2Kruniac2 Member Posts: 35

What is PunkBuster?

Why are you doing this?

How does it work?

Skull....

Just cause you say it, don't make it true. You need to post links to back up your claims. Otherwise you are a Troll and should be shot!

Punkbuster FTL. It hasnt stopped hacking in the Battlefield series, I know that for a fact, because I hack the shit out of that game whenever I play it.

Anti-Cheats are made just to be beaten. Look at Armed Assault, or Operation Flashpoint. Totally filled with hacks, partially because TKC dedicates themselves to specifically creating methods to bypass anti-cheats.

MSX specifically dedicates themselves to beating Punkbuster on a slew of FPS games, using a custom hack that auto-updates itself, and is undetectable (with some exceptions).

As long as there is an anti-cheat on WAR, there will be people accepting the challenge to bypass that system. In fact, Punkbuster will be the cause of a lot of hacks, simply because people hate it so much they will actively try to create cheats that work around it.

If you want to stop hackers, just ban those who are caught using them, via player /reports and so forth. Anti-Cheat systems are just going to attract hackers. I've seen it many times.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

Maybe it is just me, but I play on the Ostermark server and I have not recieved a single Gold Seller tell nor have I seen anything remotely close to cheating and/or exploiting.

STOP WHINING!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I love the messages that come up everytime they ban a gold seller or anyone doing something banable :) Three cheers for Mythic!! They're actually working to clean out the gold sellers. Banning their accounts is going to get expensive on those guys lol. Glad they're being real tough on them 1 strike that is it...Yeeeeerrrrrr outta here! :)

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i have only gotten 1 tell in Volkmar for items...and none since then

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by cukimunga

Yeah i got 2 tells today from gold sellers.  I just wonder where they got the money already to sell.  I knew a kid that bought gold in LOTRO I gave him so much shit for that.  I just don't know why anyone would want to spend real money on fake money. lol

I've heard this before and I think people don't really understand what money is.

For all intent and purposes online money is real money. You are essentially trading a certain amount of "something" for virtual goods and services.

In the case of an online game you are using a graphical representation to trade for a graphical representation.

Our money (depending on where you come from) is not woth the paper it is printed on. What? You think that the piece of paper that indicates $100 dollars is actually worth $100? It only has worth because the govt. says it does and we believe in and back that government.

In a video game you are trading. They might not be items you can touch but they are a representation of items that you can trade for virtual goods and services in the game. It might not have worth at your local department store but it has worth in the game. Just like confederacy bills don't have worth today but at the time they had worth to the confederacy.

So, for people to pay whatever the coin of the land is for virtual money, they are saying that what that virtual money represents (whether it is a virtual item or the time saved from having to earn virtual money) is worth a certain amount of real world coin to them.

Now, having said this, I'm not condoning the practice of buying online cash. But it's important to note that it does have worth given a game's setting. It has worth in the game. The game makers say it has worth and it will give you the ability to purchase "x" in the game for "y".  Therefore it is money.

And because it has worth in the game and because there are people who want/need to gain certain things in the game they have ascribed a real world's worth of currency to it.

Money is the trading of somethign that has some sort of defined worth to you for somethign else that you find also has worth.

edit: another example is my subway pass. It has "x" amount of dollars assigned to the card  and I can use that worth for "y" amount of subway rides. But I am not trading printed currency for those rides. Come to think of it I didn't trade any printed currency as I used my debit card to transfer value to the subway card. Virtual money for virtual and eventually "real" value.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Blodpls

Originally posted by Lizard_SF
    Third: Include in the EULA a *large* penalty for gold selling, farming, using bought characters, or other TOS-violating behavior. Said penalty will be *monetary*, not merely account cancellation. Let's say...100 dollars for selling gold, PER CHARACTER ON THE ASSOCIATED CARD -- no matter how many different game accounts ARE LINKED TO THAT CARD.

Unenforceable, possibly illegal.

Not to mention the mess when the gold selling companies use other people's cc info (or hacked accounts). Remember, gold sellers have no ethics. Fining them won't work.

• RaganaRagana Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Bladin

Kinda sad i see this topic just after receiving a gold seller tell.
    I really hope they implement a spam filter early on into the games lifecycle

Agreed WoW truly got out of hand

Veni, Vidi, Vici

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

I hope you like getting your account hacked and everything taken from you, because thats how many of these gold selling companies get their in game money from.  That gold you just bought was more than likely stolen from someones hacked account.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Originally posted by Harpy_Lady
    Originally posted by Blodpls
    Originally posted by Lizard_SF Third: Include in the EULA a *large* penalty for gold selling, farming, using bought characters, or other TOS-violating behavior. Said penalty will be *monetary*, not merely account cancellation. Let's say...100 dollars for selling gold, PER CHARACTER ON THE ASSOCIATED CARD -- no matter how many different game accounts ARE LINKED TO THAT CARD.
    Unenforceable, possibly illegal.

Not to mention the mess when the gold selling companies use other people's cc info (or hacked accounts). Remember, gold sellers have no ethics. Fining them won't work.

I'll add to this. A company can not enforce a fine, only law enforcement therefore making that possibility impossible and illegal. If Washington decides it is time to tax for virtual assets then this could come into play if the law actually decides to police the internet.

But at this point in time not happening. Also there are things called charge backs in which anyone could charge back the card get their money back no questions asked but now the card will be impossible to use on that merchant again. The merchant is blacklisted from the bank.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • scribe331scribe331 Member Posts: 71

IMO you are a hacker and a cheater purchasing a product that according to the game manufacturer is against its rules and the law.  You are purchasing intellectual property with real money which is pretty much just as bad as hacking.  By purchasing gold technically you are breaking the law and it is people like you I have to thank for the constant gold spam messages.  You are just as bad as a hacker or a cheater because in all reality you yourself are just that.

• wozzuwozzu Member Posts: 109

I use autohotkey to remap my keys because I can't do it with WAR's user interface. You can't map E to foward and cntrl-E to auto attack for example. I'm sure Mythic will fix this at some point.

I might get a ban.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by scribe331

IMO you are a hacker and a cheater purchasing a product that according to the game manufacturer is against its rules and the law.  You are purchasing intellectual property with real money which is pretty much just as bad as hacking.  By purchasing gold technically you are breaking the law and it is people like you I have to thank for the constant gold spam messages.  You are just as bad as a hacker or a cheater because in all reality you yourself are just that.

I hate to admit it but you are Correct  and i agree here, i have bought gold in the past for SilkRoad but that game was a disaster Zone b4 i decided to buy gold for it but since then i despise these gold sellers as yes it is them that screw the Economy in various ways and make's for easy gaming for others. Im sorry but if you dont have the time to Grind or play the game to collect gold then maybe you should not be playing the damn game to me it seems as that you are not interested in the game but only interested in having all the cool gear (that you did not remotely even try to achieve yourself) and try and be a showoff to ya mates seriousy it is not hard to get coin in game and you would probably realize this if you just tried to actually play it instead of buying your way through it.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • madstoogmadstoog Member Posts: 132

how about just getting rid of gold? 

I mean it is used in every game and from what i can tell it is a problem to the community. Developers can surely come up with a different form of currency that cannot be traded between players, maybe when killing monsters/etc could gain merchanting points (ie money) or summit like that which can be used to purchase items, these points can not be traded between players.

Meh prob a bit confusing what i just said but i can't see any other way around it. :/