Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hows the Community?

How is the overall feel for the community? Is teamwork really worth it? Or is it just a giant zerg cluster you-know-what? Anyone done any raiding yet? how does it compare to WoW?

Fully Black High Gloss Finish ATX Full Tower
GeForce GTX 260 896MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB
I wanna go fast...

Comments

• SimkynSimkyn Member Posts: 42

The community is pretty decent. Most people like helping you out. There's not a ton of chat, but thats cause most people are having a lot of fun. There's just so much to do. It's well worth it.

Read my post for a details on the first 9 levels I spend in the game. It's huge, but the details are in there.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2332061/thread/203373#2332061

• spartanp1spartanp1 Member Posts: 20

thanks Ill checkout the article

GeForce GTX 260 896MB
    I wanna go fast...

• AstralGethAstralGeth Member Posts: 197

Well, no one really talks unless you're in a guild. And it's the only community I've seen where fanboys troll people and tell them to gtfo when they are looking for tech support on fansite forums (there are no official forums)

See thats something I need in an MMO... I need that community feel, hopefully theyll work on it? any news?

GeForce GTX 260 896MB
    I wanna go fast...

Well the in game chat, at least on my server seems to be very decent. There are conversations going on. You dont see any world chat, as there is none. It's all local and specific to the area you're in. It makes it more realistic in that aspect. People seem to be very helpful in every way from my experiences. Though again, this is going to depend on the server completely. I like that there's not a ton of chat going on, just little conversations you run into here and there.

BTW if you're wondering how to chat in general zone wide chat, it's like it most games. Type "/1" and start chatting. It's not stated anywhere, so that might be why a lot of people are silent or just use "/say" when they want to speak.

Originally posted by Simkyn

Well the in game chat, at least on my server seems to be very decent. There are conversations going on. You dont see any world chat, as there is none. It's all local and specific to the area you're in. It makes it more realistic in that aspect. People seem to be very helpful in every way from my experiences. Though again, this is going to depend on the server completely. I like that there's not a ton of chat going on, just little conversations you run into here and there.
    BTW if you're wondering how to chat in general zone wide chat, it's like it most games. Type "/1" and start chatting. It's not stated anywhere, so that might be why a lot of people are silent or just use "/say" when they want to speak.

Oh interesting. Is there some Strategizing chat going on? Like "You go there" or "Ill heal him and him, u attack here and here etc etc" with random teammates

GeForce GTX 260 896MB
    I wanna go fast...

• dinanm3atldinanm3atl Member Posts: 215

I am playing with friends and we are in a vent server. If we were typing all the jokes and pranks and insults we would get banned for mic spamming and inappropriate language.

Guild chats seem to be bustling with chat also.

How much chat are you looking for? Sounds like you need to find an active forum? rofl

Old Skool Ultima Online Junky
    Bring back the OLD UO so I can play again

lol not a lot bro. I just want a good community over anything. I dont want to log on and here some fanboi talking trash about canada or someone who thinks they know everything about politics bash so and so. Im not looking for some1 to have long talks with haha. just someone whos not a tool and wants to win in RvR

GeForce GTX 260 896MB
    I wanna go fast...

Originally posted by spartanp1

lol not a lot bro. I just want a good community over anything. I dont want to log on and here some fanboi talking trash about canada or someone who thinks they know everything about politics bash so and so. Im not looking for some1 to have long talks with haha. just someone whos not a tool and wants to win in RvR

WAR community is better if you're going into the game with a guild or set one up beforehand. If you're coming in alone it's not easy to meet people or make friends at this point.

Well in groups in open RvR, yeah there's a lot of chat on stratagy. In instanced RvR, there's always stratagy chat going on. I have no problems with the chat personally, though if you want the meaningless chat that goes on in the Wow barrens, dont pick my server. Otherwise the chat seems decent enough to me. I would love it if they added linking items in chat, though I have yet to find something worth showing off. The game isn't as centered around items as much as other games. Just skills and tactics.

yeah well thats straight. I may wait a while to hear about the end game and hear what people have to say about it

GeForce GTX 260 896MB
    I wanna go fast...

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

As mentioned most chat seems to be going on in party/warband or guild chat channels. I've found the easiest thing to do is start chatting myself and ppl soon join in, or you get invited to the warband they're part of.

This happens mostly at the public quests where you find the most groups of ppl. Most of the quests can be dome solo but PQ's are great fun but need a lot of players so there's usually a crowd. Just say hi and ask for an invite.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by spartanp1

How is the overall feel for the community? Is teamwork really worth it? Or is it just a giant zerg cluster you-know-what? Anyone done any raiding yet? how does it compare to WoW?

Generally speaking unless you are in a guild there is little to no community...  Communication is near non existant and everyone pretty much just runs off and does their thing.  Problem is the chat system is very limited so other then guild chat you rarely see any chat in game.  Since all groups are open people pretty much just join unannounced run around together then move on frequently without a word spoken.

Kinda sad I really hope they open up chat channels zone wide at some time.  Would be nice for pulling people to join an rvr fight or just to put some energy in the battle.

---
    Ethion

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Simkyn

/1 is not zone wide.  It is only the little areas you are in.  Like a village or a pq area or any named area.  There is no zone wide chat which is why other then maybe in a town chat is pretty non existant.

---
    Ethion

• Dreizack1Dreizack1 Member Posts: 28

It's the worse community I've ever experienced in a MMO.  No one talks, in five days of play, I haven't seen one thing said in the chatbox.  It's crazy.  I think all the players are WoW idiots that are selfish and only care about leveling up and being more uber than the next person.  They don't have time to talk.  It's horrible, I hope Chronicles of Spellborn is good. 

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Dreizack1

It's the worse community I've ever experienced in a MMO.  No one talks, in five days of play, I haven't seen one thing said in the chatbox.  It's crazy.  I think all the players are WoW idiots that are selfish and only care about leveling up and being more uber than the next person.  They don't have time to talk.  It's horrible, I hope Chronicles of Spellborn is good. 

Oh really?  Or does it actually mean you are the worst social element ever known to the gaming world?

First, no one talked to you in the 5 days.  That maybe true, so you blame and namecall the entire community as WoW idiots?  Oh great.  You moved to a new town and after 5 days you call everyone in the neighbor idiots because no one come to pay homage to you.  Oh how brilliant how mature.  Everyone must love you.

Second, what have you done to try to get people to talk to you.  No one knows you, how can they talk to you.  Do you try to get into a guild, do you spend time getting people to like you so they remember who you are.  From the rash way you treat people, did you just log in and say "hey WoW idiot, talk to me and entertain me till I log off".  If you did that, no wonder why no one talk to you.

Third, if everyone is new to game, everyone is in a state of confusion, learning, frustration, excitement, and playing it out.  They are too busy playing to talk trash, like your mom is this or I pwned you type of WoW barren chats.  That makes it a bad community?  They do not have time to trash talk, but in the instances and PQs I hear people talking intelligently, enough information for me to participate.  What more do you want?  Endless rants and rambles that scrolls off the chat logs non stop, so much that you won't bother read as most are meaningless / useless random noise?

No one talks to you, people do talk to each other.  The problem originates from you.  Look at the mirror and start looking for the source of problem.

Originally posted by Orthedos

Originally posted by Dreizack1

Oh really?  Or does it actually mean you are the worst social element ever known to the gaming world?

First, no one talked to you in the 5 days.  That maybe true, so you blame and namecall the entire community as WoW idiots?  Oh great.  You moved to a new town and after 5 days you call everyone in the neighbor idiots because no one come to pay homage to you.  Oh how brilliant how mature.  Everyone must love you.

Second, what have you done to try to get people to talk to you.  No one knows you, how can they talk to you.  Do you try to get into a guild, do you spend time getting people to like you so they remember who you are.  From the rash way you treat people, did you just log in and say "hey WoW idiot, talk to me and entertain me till I log off".  If you did that, no wonder why no one talk to you.

Third, if everyone is new to game, everyone is in a state of confusion, learning, frustration, excitement, and playing it out.  They are too busy playing to talk trash, like your mom is this or I pwned you type of WoW barren chats.  That makes it a bad community?  They do not have time to trash talk, but in the instances and PQs I hear people talking intelligently, enough information for me to participate.  What more do you want?  Endless rants and rambles that scrolls off the chat logs non stop, so much that you won't bother read as most are meaningless / useless random noise?

No one talks to you, people do talk to each other.  The problem originates from you.  Look at the mirror and start looking for the source of problem.

Oh, please. There is no element provided that promotes socializing in WAR. Between the PQs, lack of chat and purposefully fragmented community outside the game they are actually discouraging it. A lot of the fanboys over on WHA are even starting to ask for something more.

• Riho06Riho06 Member Posts: 431

/1 should be zone wide and not divided into half and half. It should NOT however go worldwide, there has to be some value in sneak attacks in RvR.

The game is based off of large scale castle sieges, right now everyone is sorting out their characters and maybe re-rolling while others are still setting up guilds and getting to know each other. For the record, I'd take this community over that of the General/Trade chat spamming WoW 'community' anyday.

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69

There is no community in WAR. And it is even worse than I was expecting. What I don't get is why people would think that in a game that has less than zero incentive to group or even just interact with other players for anything , that people will spontaneously form a solid well rounded community.

That is probably the biggest failing of developers is to promote communtiy building. To build a community you have to have in game mechanics that make people need each other. Things like.

1. Real death penalty.

2. Corpse runs.

3. There should always be an incentive to group. while all classes should be able to solo when they want getting and finding a group should always advance you faster and get you better gear than if you just solo. And it needs to be in your face obvious that grouping is better not just mathematically in the background.

4. If you are going to have crafting. You need to make adventurerers need crafters for gear/supplies and crafters need adventureres for raw materials and or protection. And within the crafting sphere you need to have interdiscipline dependance as well.

5. you need to have mechanisims and reasons for high level players to want to interact with low level players.

6. You need a robust comprehensive chat system to make it easy for players to communicate with each other.

There are a few others as well but those are the biggies. The more of those type things you put in the stronger the community will be. The less you put in the weaker the community. People will always do what they think is in their best interest to do. If it is not in their best interest to form a community  they won't make one.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Which community? Its a solo player game, no one ever has to talk to another person to reach max lvl

• jamosjamos Member Posts: 17

I havent experieneced so much team work in any mmorpg for a long time. Every where I go there are large groups doing PQs and working together, the loot system rewards people for hard work in groups (most of the time) Really well thought out mmorpg.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

From my experience there is no community outside your guild. No one talks in general/chaos/destruction channels. It's the worst system I've seen in an MMO and it's as if it promotes the no community aspect. Ask a newbie question in general and no one answers, ask about anything and you might aswell be talking to yourself.

At least for me, only people that seem to talk are guildies, but I like my community a bit wider than that...

• andeemann10andeemann10 Member Posts: 237

So far although it's been a little bit quiet, the majority of people I talk to have been fine. Also, the scenarios always go SO much better when /sc is used.

The only bad experience I've had was tonight when a Witch Hunter came up to me and sent me a tell saying "ur gay".

------------------------------
    "Capitalism is currently working as intended."

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

What do you expect?... the game pushes into having to PvP all the time..

The world is not RP-inspiring at all...  just go and play PvP... all the time..

it's like playing an arcade game....

..Cake..

• Fireside286Fireside286 Member Posts: 72

Spartan!

You have some fanbois in this thread don't let them mislead you. 

I play on Volkmar and its full in que on both sides and chat is dead, I haven't seen anything in general and if you say anything no one responds.  In scenarios there is almost nothing and if there is its some bitching cause they didn't get a heal. 

There is no community right now if you don't come in with friends or a guild.  You might get a spam guild invite because they are trying to get there guild lvls up, or want to tax you for there guild, thats right they have a guild tax.

Good luck, I spent $49.99 and I am starting to feel ashamed that mythic has put this out like it is, after spending so many years in DAoC.  The game runs horribly, the chat system sux, the quests are nothing to get an award over.  There is alot of problems with the game it could have benefitted from another 6 months in beta, instead of trying to blow it out to make a buck and get in front of  WotLK, and christmas.

I will give it another week than I will probably decide on if I stay or not.  And don't let them say that other servers are different because they are not, I have played on 4 different servers and they are all the same on this community chat.

Later

Fire