Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAR holding strong at #2 for MMOs

www.xfire.com/

It's currently at #5 on xfire. None of the other MMOs (other than WoW, of course) even come close. I think the next MMO is at rank 30 something. Now it's just a matter of continuing to work its way up over time.

Comments

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

God another Xfire thread -_-

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

I know what Xfire is, and I don't have it...but are these threads some kind of code you give to another or something? 

How can something only a portion of the playerbase have realistically gauge a game's popularity? Seriously...

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

Here we go again!

I'm going to sit this one out.

STOP WHINING!

• AstralGethAstralGeth Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

I know what Xfire is, and I don't have it...but are these threads some kind of code you give to another or something? 
    How can something only a portion of the playerbase have realistically gauge a game's popularity? Seriously...

People don't realize that gathering data by using an relatively unknown and invasive program that is more likely to be used by a certain type of gamer is not a scientific sample.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Satarious

www.xfire.com/
    It's currently at #5 on xfire. None of the other MMOs (other than WoW, of course) even come close. I think the next MMO is at rank 30 something. Now it's just a matter of continuing to work its way up over time.

Working it's way UP ?.... hehe.. I think you're dreaming a bit :)

..Cake..

• Originally posted by sgel

www.xfire.com/

Working it's way UP ?.... hehe.. I think you're dreaming a bit :)

Well no he is not, if you look at the graph it is rapidly increasing.  Whether xfire means anything or not is something else.  But he isn't dreaming about it working its way up xfire.

Whereas WoW is basically a sine wave.

• freakworldfreakworld Member Posts: 67

ya, I have to say. I hate xfire.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

In the same way that opinion polls don't have to interview the entire population to get a fairly accurate snapshot of what they think or intend to do.   X-Fire is used by a huge number of the online  gameplaying public and usage patterns can give a good indication of  what games are currently popular,

However, games tend to score highly in the first month of release, AoC was right at the top a few months ago but has slipped away now , so I'd agree, you can't really use it to make long term projections.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

what is xfire anyway ? never heard of it.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • YarosYaros Member Posts: 280

www.xfire.com/

AoC was also #5 or #6 after release I belive...
    We need wait few months. If 2-3 months after WotLK release game still is growing, it will be huge success, but right now we can't tell anything...

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

almost every game spikes up on release.  holding strong is just plain silly.

if in 2-3 months it's still in this spot I'd say holding strong might be appropriate.

---
    Ethion

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Can you really be asking this question?  Seriously.... 

---
    Ethion

Originally posted by reaperuk

In the same way that opinion polls don't have to interview the entire population to get a fairly accurate snapshot of what they think or intend to do.   X-Fire is used by a huge number of the online  gameplaying public and usage patterns can give a good indication of  what games are currently popular,

However, games tend to score highly in the first month of release, AoC was right at the top a few months ago but has slipped away now , so I'd agree, you can't really use it to make long term projections.

Best you can get from it is how behaviour *of* the Xfire users changes from time to time. There's no way you can claim WAR is the #2 MMO among MMO's though from Xfire alone. (not that I'm saying the OP is claiming that although his title thread is certainly misleading in that sense)

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Actually,  Xfire isn't a terrible way to judge populations.   Almost every time I've seen official numbers released they validate Xfire.   It's easy to dismiss it if this is the first time you've heard of it.  You also have to remember that xfire is only for NA/EU games.

I will give you an example

At launch. AOC had about 1/6 the numbers as WOW.   We knew from press releases that WOW had 5M subscribers in NA/EU.... and we later learned that AOC had about 800,000 boxes sold which validated the 1/6th number from Xfire.   A month later, AOC had dropped to 1/10 the numbers as WOW, and we later learned that it had 400,000 subscribers.  The percentages displayed by Xfire nearly mirrored what was being released by the companies themselves and showed the severe drop off in AOC subcribers before they were announced by the company.

At the current time, most players of AOC say the game has about 100,000 players (based on ingame observations).   AOC is currently at a 1/50 ratio of WOW, which puts them at 100,000 subscribers.

Now onto Warhammer,  Currently Warhammer is at 1/6th the numbers as WOW.  This puts them at around 800,000 subscribers... which is probably accurate based on the number of servers Warhammer has and the fact that most of those servers are full.   The important thing to watch is on October 17th to see if there is a noticable drop.  There is no way Warhammer will have a huge drop like AOC, just because it is a solid game that delivered what it promised., but it will have a drop.  From that point on is where the 'success' of the game will be noticable.  Will it grow gradually as players hear good things, or will it slowly die as players get bored.

In any event.  I've found that if you figure WOW as having 5M subscribers(NA/EU only), then you can get a really good estimate of a games subscribers just by using it's percentage compared to WOW.  It worked nearly perfectly for AOC and LotRO, no reason to discount it for War.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Who uses Xfire? 12 to 16 years old people? So we know, which MMOs 12 to 16 years old play, wow great. Its like talking about stocks on mmorpg.com, not meaningful

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

To say that WAR is the best selling MMO is putting it on the same place as AoC that was up there too for the first few months. Lets give it time then lets remake this thread.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Bump.  Gotta love all the WoW fanbois making excuses. ;)

• HawkaronHawkaron Member UncommonPosts: 208

Ehh, the next MMORPG lies 2 steps below and the 3rd 5 steps.

This is the best signature ever. Well, it is really up to you to decide. :x

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by Kilmar

Who uses Xfire? 12 to 16 years old people? So we know, which MMOs 12 to 16 years old play, wow great. Its like talking about stocks on mmorpg.com, not meaningful

Well that is a pretty lame remark i am 29 and use Xfire for chatting in game, for personal Game statistics and as a form of communication between gaming buddy's Seems to me that some of the 12-16 year olds out there may just be a little bit more grown up then you seriously get over yourself.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • HawkaronHawkaron Member UncommonPosts: 208

Steam is way better than Xfire. I don't think you can get one of these dynamic images that shows how many hours you've played, but why the fuck would you want one, seriously. It's not like anybody cares what you play. and which game you play the most.

This is the best signature ever. Well, it is really up to you to decide. :x

• StridarStridar Member UncommonPosts: 134

i'm 34, my brothers are 26 and 24, we've used it for years, my 13 year old brother has never heard of it.  hey cool sig you have there though, seems like one of those ones the 11-15 Year old crowd uses to show off their characters.

Bump.  Gotta love all the WoW fanbois making excuses. ;)

Why, because WoW is miles above WAR? Or that the Wotlk expansion is outselling a fresh game like WAR even at WAR's release date? :)

I don't think WoW fanbois need any excuses ;)

Still makes Xfire stats meaningless for MMO comparisons  and the statement as it says in the title misleading without the mention of Xfire ^^

*Use* the Xfire stats and compare times and time spent today and a few weeks ago and you may have something. (Like comment on a dropoff in the time played in WoW for example since WAR released).

But then I think that's beyond people that can't even read press statements correct and just cry "Zomg 1,5 million units sold to customers!" even though it *clearly* says they didn't :)

• StridarStridar Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Hawkaron

Steam is way better than Xfire. I don't think you can get one of these dynamic images that shows how many hours you've played, but why the fuck would you want one, seriously. It's not like anybody cares what you play. and which game you play the most.

And people call xfire an invasive program?  why exactly would i ever have steam running if i'm not about to play a steam game?  i start it up to play cs or css and then when i'm done i exit out of it.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Stridar

i'm 34, my brothers are 26 and 24, we've used it for years, my 13 year old brother has never heard of it.  hey cool sig you have there though, seems like one of those ones the 11-15 Year old crowd uses to show off their characters.

The only person I know playing wow is the young son of my neighbour, a single example cant speak for the whole