Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I challenge you

Ork0909Ork0909 Member Posts: 2

Alright, I'm a guy who knows nothing about Aion and is very skeptical. I pretty much have my only MMO experience in WoW (I have played some other games, but not more than a week). I am looking for something new and something fresh...what does this game have to offer me that I can't get from any other game? (Please don't say flying)

Comments

• mac579mac579 Member Posts: 34

It does have PVPVE. As far as I can tell this means that the entire game world functions as both a PVP environment as well as PVE but with the main portion of the PVP happening in a zone that separates the two main player factions (although I am not sure how different this would be from an actual PVP server on a game like WoW). The other, more unique thing about this game is the fact that portals will open up from time to time leading from one factions territory into the others territory allowing some sponaneous raiding.

The ability to fly and engage in combat while in flight is a huge part of what makes this game different as well.

I hope this was somewhat helpful

Playing Guild Wars (all games in franchise but mainly GWEN and Nightfall) and WoW (just returned to this great game).

Eagerly awaiting Aion, Guild Wars 2 and Wrath of the Lich King.

Have also played CoV/CoH

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

It's more about the game's design than about the new features, the features might not be revolutionary, but the way the devs have meshed them will bring a quite different experience.

Read the faq, check out aionsource, and see by yourself how those features mesh, and try to predict how your daily agenda would be playing aion.

• blackhand231blackhand231 Member Posts: 69

the best way to find out info on a game is do some research go to google and just spend about an hour or two looking into the game and you will find out a bunch about it

• joereardonjoereardon Member Posts: 2

According to the features list and the publicized videos for Aion, this game looks like NCSoft's big attempt to copy WoW.  They appear to be taking all of the features of WoW and giving them more flashy graphics and polish, with a healthy dose of Final Fantasy styling.  This, of course, probably isn't bad business sense, since WoW has 10million subscribers. 

Everything from the UI, spellcasting system, melee system, flying abilities, to NPC targeting looks derivitive of WoW.  The spell and weapon effects, in an attempt to be uber kool, have been exaggerated to the point of silliness. 

At endgame, Aion will offer instanced raid encounters.  There will also be endgame PVP content where you will collect points for capturing castles in a special PVP area; you can use these points to purchase gear and weapons.  This, once again, sounds exactly like WoW:  endgame PVP consists of a tedious gear-grind where you collect points for 5% upgrades every few months.

Aion sounds like it will be fun for players who are happy with WoW, since, from all current information, it appears to be a direct copy of nearly all the rulesets and features which have made WoW successful.  To the OP, who wants something "new and fresh":  I don't think Aion is the game you are looking for.

• blackhand231blackhand231 Member Posts: 69

ROFL you havent looked into this game much have you? this game yes is like WoW but then again WHAT GAME ISNT. its hard not to make a game like wow.... Aion takes features from alot of different games and puts them all in one and then improves them. this game doesnt really have any new features but it has all the ones from good games like WoW and puts them in it. this game isnt "just another WoW clone" like most ignorant people who havent even looked into the game say.  this game IS going to be a breath of fresh air for the most part.  

• N1ghtsta1kerN1ghtsta1ker Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by joereardon

According to the features list and the publicized videos for Aion, this game looks like NCSoft's big attempt to copy WoW.  They appear to be taking all of the features of WoW and giving them more flashy graphics and polish, with a healthy dose of Final Fantasy styling.  This, of course, probably isn't bad business sense, since WoW has 10million subscribers. 
    Everything from the UI, spellcasting system, melee system, flying abilities, to NPC targeting looks derivitive of WoW.  The spell and weapon effects, in an attempt to be uber kool, have been exaggerated to the point of silliness. 
    At endgame, Aion will offer instanced raid encounters.  There will also be endgame PVP content where you will collect points for capturing castles in a special PVP area; you can use these points to purchase gear and weapons.  This, once again, sounds exactly like WoW:  endgame PVP consists of a tedious gear-grind where you collect points for 5% upgrades every few months.
    Aion sounds like it will be fun for players who are happy with WoW, since, from all current information, it appears to be a direct copy of nearly all the rulesets and features which have made WoW successful.  To the OP, who wants something "new and fresh":  I don't think Aion is the game you are looking for.

LOL don't listen to this moron, he only has 2 posts and the other one is praising Darkfall...  DF fanboys seem to be rampant on MMORPG.com lately and if you haven't figured it out yet, they're the reason the hype meter for every game is all messed up now.  They've been creating multiple accounts (like this one) to hype up darkfall and hype down every other game.

Anyways...

Read knite's post about the game to get a better understanding of it.  After that, watch a few videos on youtube of the korean closed beta and you'll see why we're all anticipating it 

knite's post:

http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/253/view/forums/thread/200615

• jimbles4000jimbles4000 Member Posts: 30

Great place to see some stuff about this game

http://www.aionsource.com/

best site for aion info.

• Ork0909Ork0909 Member Posts: 2

I think I'll hold off my official judgement on this game until it comes out. Unlike Wow or WAR, it does not have that giant franchise lore background that has initiated alot of interest in just seeing these worlds brought to life. However, it does seem as if the combat could be pretty fun. If it ends up not being made of fail like AoC and seemingly WAR (Although I still hear some good reviews about both), then there is a good chance I will give it a chance.

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

Haha, how is WAR full of fail? AoC has a moron company at the head, they focused on graphics more than gameplay, and their "innovation" must be credited, but it still doesn't make a good game. You play a game because it's fun, not because it's so revolutionary.

The genre will progress slowly, with games building on each others' success, taking it one step further or putting their little "spin" on it. What's wrong with that? It's how every game genre progresses (that I know of anyways). Sometimes when you try too hard to be innovative, you fail.

As for Aion, I'm sure we'll see a fair number of people screaming "WoW clone!" for this game as well. It won't hurt its potential success though, because those people will end up trying it sooner or later. Or they'll all wait for Darkfall! Whichever comes first

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

This game isnt about instanced Raids or battlegrounds, so how is it like WoW?

Endgame in Aion is more like L2's with a RvR flavor amd without the grind, with open world raids, sieges, guild politics, drama and massive pvps.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Ork0909

Alright, I'm a guy who knows nothing about Aion and is very skeptical. I pretty much have my only MMO experience in WoW (I have played some other games, but not more than a week). I am looking for something new and something fresh...what does this game have to offer me that I can't get from any other game? (Please don't say flying)

Well, you could go to Aionsource.com and do some research.

edit: oops... Jimbles already gave you the link.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jimbles4000jimbles4000 Member Posts: 30

Meh its ok it helps to beat it into anyone lookin for info

:P

• PrintscreenPrintscreen Member UncommonPosts: 100

This game is graphically orgasmic....I've been waiting for Aion along with Ragnarok 2 for years. I specifically bought an ati 4870x2 just so i can play Aion all decked out in a graphic orgy.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

This game is nothing like WoW, I just hope it turns into an MMO like FFXI without the hard grinding and stuff. But many events along those lines.

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69

Biggest thing is a real honest to goodness death penalty. And having actually played the game I can vouch for the fact that it is not  a WOW wanna be.