Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is WAR something I might like?

Here's my criteria:

• PvP. I love it. It must be fun, easy to access, it must require some sort of actual player skill... not button mashing where the outcome is determined by equipment.
  • Skill. I don't want to play a game where I loose to some 11 yeared old kid because he has lewd gear and has played 1000 hours. There must be more to it than the obvious use of abilities we know from wow.
  • Interesting classes. Like when the classes are more interesting than the usual warrior, rogue, mage crap we see.
  • Technical solid. I've got a pretty good rig(athlon64 x2 6400+, HD 4870 512 mb, 2 GB ram), so I'm expecting it to run smooth at high details and good resolution.
  • Minimal PvE grind. I don't mind a bit of PvE, but I hate when it's necessary for me to grind 100 hours before I even get to the good PvP
  • Epic. Love epic battles :D
  • Combat. The combat mechanics itself must be fun and fluid. I hate looking at my character take and give hit after hit with me pressing the occasional spell button. It's boring as hell. AoC had great combat, but some other game breaking problems in my opinion. Now, I know the combat isn't like AoC, but I'd like some movability when fighting.

So yeah, would like the opinions of people playing the game(that means, fanboys and haters who haven't played don't need to tell me if they think it's good or not).

Also, is there a trial or buddy key system comming our way?

Comments

• MrElusiveMrElusive Member Posts: 11

well, 1v1 pvp is usually dependant on kit / class.

• however, you almost never 1v1 pvp. The RVR scenarios and Keep attacks are all team based. If you can get yourslef in a good group with balanced classes level and equipment mean jack

• technically, you should be OK. I've got E8500 (2x 3.16) + 8800GTX + 4GB ram and i run fine on moderate graphics, although it can get very glitchy in places

• as for pve grind, you don't even need to PVE to level up (if you want). You get exp, money, items and renown points for killing enemies and taking part in scenarios. as you level up renown, you can buy extra kit from keep vendors. however, as expected, you get better stuff from PVE

• Classes are Ok as it goes. All classes are mirrored on both sides but  there are some nice features which make them individual. E.g. Bright Wizards can blow themselves up if not careful and Ironbreakers build up grudge for extra damage etc

• As far as it goes, combat is the same as the rest of the mmo's. Auto-face, aout attack etc. Its very press a button and watch. Press another button etc. I think healers ger the best combat tho. Tanks and melee dps can be very boring

Unsure of buddy key and trials.

• Originally posted by Jackcolt

Here's my criteria:

PvP. I love it. It must be fun, easy to access, it must require some sort of actual player skill... not button mashing where the outcome is determined by equipment.

It is easy to access on a well populated server.  The game does allow for skill.  Many people button mash, but if you use your Action Points efficiently and special effects well you aremuch better.  In this regard it is most like CoX, not WoW. 

Skill. I don't want to play a game where I loose to some 11 yeared old kid because he has lewd gear and has played 1000 hours. There must be more to it than the obvious use of abilities we know from wow.

Gear is important.  But it is not the be all end all.  You should be able to get good gear quickly and easily via the renown stuff.  A purple item is not easy get, but from what I have seen they are not head and shoulders above other just nice to have.
    Does it outweigh skill?  That is hard to say.  A huge difference probably will.  A level 1 in starter gear is definitely at a serious disdavantage against a lvl 11 in renown gear.  The itemization on one if the early renown shields is borked and gives ppl literaly double the block rating they should.

Anyone who says it has no impact is either wrong or lying.  But I have not found it to be out of bounds and in the end I accept this since the extra customization it allows is substantial and i appreciate.  With the exception of the above mention shield which is simply broken and need its block rating cut in half or more.  I play a tank so this is not me being bitter, it is broke.

Interesting classes. Like when the classes are more interesting than the usual warrior, rogue, mage crap we see.

I think you will find them fairly interesting.  Contarty to WoW fanboys the Tactics and Morale combined with the Masteries means there is actually a lot more customization than WoW has.  Keep in mind you can have up to 4 caraeer tactics loaded out and can switch load outs whenever out of combat.  They significant abilities.  For example one sowrdmaster tactic add 10% extra crit in improved balance and 20% extra crit in perfect balance that means eveyr third attack has 33% chance to crit and those third attacks are generally the serious heavy hitters.  So they are subtantial
    The only thing here is to realize that the mirror classes are pretty similar.  Not the same DO NOT make the mistake.  If you think a Black Orc and Swordmaster do the same things you will be very wrong.  A Swordmaster can bypass armor and an BO cannot.  That alone is rather big.  However they are very similar.
    So there are not 20 distinct classes but saying there are only 10 is not quite right. Either way their on 10 interesting classes on whatever side you pick.  Or at least  I think most of pretty cool.  Not quite as novel as Guild Wars, but still pretty decent and full of a lot of flavor

Technical solid. I've got a pretty good rig(athlon64 x2 6400+, HD 4870 512 mb, 2 GB ram), so I'm expecting it to run smooth at high details and good resolution.

Hard to say here but most likely you should do fine.  Although the large Keep Battles I am gonna say almost everyone is well advised to go to fastest framerates.

Minimal PvE grind. I don't mind a bit of PvE, but I hate when it's necessary for me to grind 100 hours before I even get to the good PvP

You can get into the action immediately.  Going RvR or scneario bolsters you to lvl 8 18 28 38 depending on Tier (note you cannot go more than ten above your level)  You can be level 3 or 4 and out of starter area in an hour or two.  You won't be super amazing but you can od fine in PvP and PvP gives you xp and renown points.  You could never touch PvE every again.  Although you can easily do a little PvE for an hour to get a nice blue item from a Public Quest if you wanted or whatever.
    Only caveat here is RvR is not always efficient for XP,  Scenarios are pretty good xp.  And RvR with a lot of action is good xp, but if you doing a lot of chasing obviously your xp/minute may go down etc.  Of course you also get renown which you can't in PvE.
    Also Renown gives bonuses to stats and resistances and tacts.  At the vvery high levels it gives up to 5 (in addition to normal 25) mastery points.  So getting renown is definitely good for morethan just gear.

Epic. Love epic battles :D

Taking a keep can be quite large, taking a racial fortress is huge.  Just plain mind boggling.  In Beta I was in like 80 v 80 battles it seemed like.  Not the norm but it happned.
    There were a couple pretty crazy Keep pushes too.  With like 40 v 40 or so.  Hard to tell people go in and out.

Combat. The combat mechanics itself must be fun and fluid. I hate looking at my character take and give hit after hit with me pressing the occasional spell button. It's boring as hell. AoC had great combat, but some other game breaking problems in my opinion. Now, I know the combat isn't like AoC, but I'd like some movability when fighting.

The combat is similar to CoX.  Not as good animations and still some bugs to hammer out.  It has a 1.5 second GCD.  Movement and messing with other people's movement is important.
    One of the things to remember is since it is like CoX and to some degree Guild Wars.  Fights can last an indeterminant amount of time if people are not dying.
    Generally, without a lot of focus fire or a huge crit, people do not get one or two shotted.  And tanks can stand up to damage for quite some time.  But people are usually doing a lot of things.  And since Action Points are always regenerating at a serious rate the action is sustained.
    The sustained action is what is important to understand.  You cannot rely on any class to go OOM (well not without using a skill that saps AP).  Therefore a well coordinated team can be a frigging killer.   And things like Keep battles against good players can be Epic.
    If everyone just died to spike damage all the time keep battle would be a joke.  If everyone went OOM after 5 minutes and had to drink water, it would be a joke.
    You can literally fight for an hour straight and never stop.
    So yeah, would like the opinions of people playing the game(that means, fanboys and haters who haven't played don't need to tell me if they think it's good or not).
    Also, is there a trial or buddy key system comming our way?

Most likely this game meet your needs.  However it can be somewhat clunky.  That might turn you off.  Otherwise I would say yeah like 80% pretty good for you.

And keep in mind while it is stable there are some funky bugs/exploits still.  Nothing huge.  Rare graphics that might require a relog.  Some stuff that can be gotten on top that should n't be etc.

• Homeslice513Homeslice513 Member UncommonPosts: 180

PvP is very easy to access. It either requires pushing a button to enter a scenario or running into the RvR area in a zone. Although usually with those you catch some people there but most of the times I have been it is just to take back over the keeps or towers and you do not have much of a run in. I would play on an Open RvR server though so that way you know everyone is always flagged if you are looking for full world PvP.

I find the skill needed in this is teamwork. The oppposite classes are not clearly marked though you can learn them from checking the score board in a Scenario. But people need to learn their class and some strategy. Some tend to just like to try and pound on a tank while they are being healed instead of finding the healer that is keeping them alive or the dps that is taking out your own healers.

I find there to be some interesting things about the classes. I play a Shaman right now and can basically build up better healing by attacking or better attacks by healing. And I know different classes have similar variances.

I have found some graphical bugs but nothing that is game breaking for me though I am hoping they start tweaking these soon enough. You should have no issue playing on high settings though as I do and have less of a system than you do.

As someone else stated here you actually get xp from pretty much anything and everything. One of the things I believe they did right is allowing you to queue for scenarios anywhere and when you leave the scenario you are back where you were when it started. So you can go about and do whatever you want to be doing, quests, PQs whatever and then go right back to doing it. Though I wouldn't leave a PQ for a scenario but I am trying to get all my storyline done as well.

Not sure exactly what constitutes an epic battle but I am hoping to see some myself. I love when a scenario is close and not just one side dominating the other but I am not considering that epic just more exciting. I did notice the party system in the scenarios allows for 10 groups I think so that is a lot of folks in one Warband (raid).

I don't think it is a total hit the spell button on occasion but I wouldn't say it is anything totally different either. However, you are moving a lot and are very active while in combat at least in PvP in PvE it is pretty much just stand and shoot unless of course you are in a group and need to deaggro or gain aggro if you are a tank.

Overall, I am having a lot of fun myself. Just wish more people were doing PQs to help make the storylines easier to complete. I got lucky last night and got a whole chapter done with the same group. Though in a previous chapter I only saw people doing one of the PQs twice. It seems most people just pick a PQ and do it over and over again for the most part.

• Originally posted by MrElusive

well, 1v1 pvp is usually dependant on kit / class.

however, you almost never 1v1 pvp. The RVR scenarios and Keep attacks are all team based. If you can get yourslef in a good group with balanced classes level and equipment mean jack

technically, you should be OK. I've got E8500 (2x 3.16) + 8800GTX + 4GB ram and i run fine on moderate graphics, although it can get very glitchy in places

as for pve grind, you don't even need to PVE to level up (if you want). You get exp, money, items and renown points for killing enemies and taking part in scenarios. as you level up renown, you can buy extra kit from keep vendors. however, as expected, you get better stuff from PVE

Classes are Ok as it goes. All classes are mirrored on both sides but  there are some nice features which make them individual. E.g. Bright Wizards can blow themselves up if not careful and Ironbreakers build up grudge for extra damage etc

As far as it goes, combat is the same as the rest of the mmo's. Auto-face, aout attack etc. Its very press a button and watch. Press another button etc. I think healers ger the best combat tho. Tanks and melee dps can be very boring

Unsure of buddy key and trials.

Need to be careful about statements like the highlighted portion.  A Swordmaster (elf tank) at level 9 can be fairly boring if you are not into that sort of thing.

A Swordmaster at level 35 has a 10s 40% snare, an AoE root, an AoE knockback every 10 s (real CoX like KB, ie. change their position you can knocksomeone into a corner and block them with collision), has a Juggernaut to get out of any snare or root or stun every 30s, has Guard to help siphon damage off an ally, an AoE debuff and PBAOE attack.

Finally SM get a level 2 Morale ability that allows them to jump 100s of feet through the air to someone and automatically lay down a 60% snare.  Kind of like a jedi Gurdian in KOTOR.

So if you just sit there and bash it up it might get boring.  But even a tank has alot sorts of tools to control the battfield in interesting ways.  A swordmaster can both defend and disrupt or even penetrate a line completely and go after a healer with a great sword and stun/silence/disrupt.  They don't have the damage of a Witch Hunter but they can still threaten and do a number of novel things as well as just bash it up and protect some backline guy.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Thanks for the well-written replies. Yeah, I wasn't looking for a game where items have no influence, but one where skill also has a say in who wins a battle(be it RvR or smallers PvP)