Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DnL is probably dead

alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I was browsing the web, and I ended in the dark and light forums

www.darkandlight.com/forum/showthread.php

It's appears to be dead already.

Comments

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by alakram

Im going to save this thread. Why? Because itll be interesting to compare the death of DnL with the death of Darkfall.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Arcken

Originally posted by alakram

Im going to save this thread. Why? Because itll be interesting to compare the death of DnL with the death of Darkfall.

I have my best wishes for darkfall but, reading this thread I was thinking the same. I had the idea that darkfall will end up with the same fate.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Yeah, it seems that small company + big promises = fail

• angelsfangangelsfang Member Posts: 93

IIRC, DnL didn't come out with gameplay videos before they pushed out their alpha game and called it a beta, and used closed beta keys as an incentive to push out their preorders, which alot of people fell for, and was unable to get a refund afterwards.  The whole thing smelled fishy.  The difference with Darkfall is that whenever they ran into technical or financial problems, they would rather postpone the release date than shove their unfinished product out and try to scam people's money.  There is a huge difference here.

• edramos12edramos12 Member UncommonPosts: 7

thats a shame

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

So the server just went offline one day, without a peep from anyone running it, and just stayed off? Wow thats low... I feel bad for them.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• DracisDracis Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

So the server just went offline one day, without a peep from anyone running it, and just stayed off? Wow thats low... I feel bad for them.

Well, from what I've read on the official forums and site, that's basically what happened. I personally stopped playing about a month after launch when I still couldn't log in properly. From what I understand they had some sort of auto-reboot system in place, which seemed to cause quite a few problems, and one of the supposed scheduled days it went down, it never came back up. Now about a month or so into the server being down a bunch of the forum mods, which are actually unpaid players, tried to tell everyone that the game wasn't dead, blah, blah, hype, blah. Well it never did come back up, even after the date specified by the mod/players.

I wouldn't feel to bad about any of those players left near the end. They knew they were playing a game with a large part of the code stolen and couldn't care less. It wasn't until the end and _Pix_ winning the counter suit against him, that I think a few of them started to realize that everything they were told and believed was one big lie. The people you should feel sorry for is the ones who overcharged several times and some by hundreds of dollars.

• majochmajoch Member Posts: 599

"He who can't be named" Is still hanging in there I see. 

• OmniBrainOmniBrain Member Posts: 1

Some years ago I noticed DnL here and was pretty interested on how the game will look and feel.

Meanwhile I lost track on it and when finally looking for it again, I read about servers are down and about stolen code.

Seems it is just true, most Games just fail, but you never hear about them before they are released.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by majoch

Which reminds me.  It's interesting how every "bad" game gets its share of ulta-fanbois.  Apparently there are people out there who live to take a contrary position at all costs.  Whether it's because they crave the attention or playing devil's advocate just gives them goose bumps, I don't know.  But my blocked-list is full of these weirdos.  I just hope for their sake that they don't actually beleive the games they are praising truly deserve it.

Someday someone will write a doctorial thesis on people like that.  Should be an interesting read.

• ZtyX2ZtyX2 Member UncommonPosts: 42

And the game is not dead yet. .. We just can't play it right now.

.. It's temporarily unavailable at an indefinite period of time.

Games are not dead untill the developers of the game say so. Obviously, they have to get through this Pixel idiot problem.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by ZtyX2

And the game is not dead yet. .. We just can't play it right now.

.. It's temporarily unavailable at an indefinite period of time.

Games are not dead untill the developers of the game say so. Obviously, they have to get through this Pixel idiot problem.

Not that you could play it when the server was up and running. This game was incrediable laggy and constantly hitching. It made the Vanguard launch look like silk.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

Yes its past dead, DnL was dead when it launched , development for that game was a train wreck and is nothing like DFO .

DFO in alfa looked better than DnL did at release.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Boreil

Yes its past dead, DnL was dead when it launched , development for that game was a train wreck and is nothing like DFO .

There is no Darkfall alpha that anybody has seen.

If you're talking about videos, the early DnL videos hyping all of its "awesome features" were pretty impressive too.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Kurush

Originally posted by Boreil

There is no Darkfall alpha that anybody has seen.

If you're talking about videos, the early DnL videos hyping all of its "awesome features" were pretty impressive too.

I think he was reffering to the people that visted the Devs in Greece and played and from what GNi said about it after what they saw. But no no Alpha testers have came forth with a video or anything. I didn't think they did for Alpha testing and closed beta's though due to NDA's. When open beta starts though you can probably expect a flood of info.

• repapipsrepapips Member Posts: 450

I pity those p[layers of DnL probably the game was under of update.. just my opinion

• EnahowaeEnahowae Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by repapips

I pity those p[layers of DnL probably the game was under of update.. just my opinion

DnL hasn't had any patches or updates for well over a year now. The head guy at NPCube reportedly sacked the entire staff and left.

I'm pretty sure it's dead, dude.

Survey says...

Played: UO, SWG Pre-CU (until 11/16/05), Various F2P's
    Playing: GW
    Awaiting: WAR, DF
    Never played: WoW