Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TAKE A LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS AND VOTE

2»

Comments

• Plasuma!!!Plasuma!!! Member Posts: 1,872

They just gobbled up the IP not too long ago, so I'm not surprised the graphics appear the way they do. It appears to be a case of either minimally functional shaders, lack of normal mapping, or simply no effort on the textures. I would say the problem is the textures, since the structures and many objects in those screens seem to have bad textures for their UVs.

I would be surprised and disheartened if they look like that at launch. For how long it's been in development, I'd say it looks pretty good.

• arkady09arkady09 Member Posts: 245

My GOD!!!  Star Wars (the movie, I mean and I know I'm mixing genres here) did better in the 70's....Come ON....It's TWO THOUSAND EIGHT

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

this reminds me a lot of earth and beyond.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

i'll post what i said before again for those that don't bother to read all posts..

Graphics don't make a game, GAMEPLAY AND CONTENT DO..  the graphics are good, we can only hope the gameplay and content is also...

Companies want to make money...  FACT.

The more systems a game will run on the more potential subscribers it will have, this in turn means more income for the company and more money to throw into the game in the long term..  you don't hear WoW players complaining about their cartoony graphics do you? they play cause they can run it and enjoy the gameplay (although i hate WoW personally, fair play to those that enjoy it).

If you want graphics over gameplay go play Age of Conan.

Originally posted by Antaran

i'll post what i said before again for those that don't bother to read all posts..
    Graphics don't make a game, GAMEPLAY AND CONTENT DO..  the graphics are good, we can only hope the gameplay and content is also...
    NOPE.  GRAPHICS immerse you in a world.  These look cheesy from the 1960's.

Companies want to make money...  FACT.
    They can do so by giving us some even moderately low graphics, NOT THESE.

The more systems a game will run on the more potential subscribers it will have, this in turn means more income for the company and more money to throw into the game in the long term..  you don't hear WoW players complaining about their cartoony graphics do you? they play cause they can run it and enjoy the gameplay (although i hate WoW personally, fair play to those that enjoy it).
    I bought a fast system FOR AOC (which ended up sucking) so I  DEMAND BETTER GRAPHICS.   The game should set the standard for computing needs, NOT VICE VERSA.  Kids will pester their parents to get the machine for the game they want.  In the end, everybody wins -- kids, with faster computers, hardware manufacturers, and STO. 
    Or at the very least, the graphics shouldn't COMPLETELY SUCK.

Tried that.  That's why STO has a shot.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579
    Originally posted by arkady09

Originally posted by Antaran

I bought a fast system FOR AOC (which ended up sucking) so I  DEMAND BETTER GRAPHICS.   The game should set the standard for computing needs, NOT VICE VERSA.  Kids will pester their parents to get the machine for the game they want.  In the end, everybody wins -- kids, with faster computers, hardware manufacturers, and STO. 
    Or at the very least, the graphics shouldn't COMPLETELY SUCK.

Tried that.  That's why STO has a shot.

With regards to your statement i've underlined all i can say is this, you fell for it like many others did. fair enough if your previous system was outdated by say 7 years but i've had my system for a long time now and i also was looking forward to AoC, but i didn't go out and spend a lot of money on a new system JUST FOR ONE GAME..  no one in their right mind has the money or resourses to spend on a new system just because a game they're looking forward to MAY not run on their current system..

my system specs :

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5600+

2GB Corsair Ram 800mhz

GeForce 8600GT 256mb DDR2 video card

this outperformed a lot of quad core systems and system with sli 8800GTX or 4gb ram etc. and i know this from just the first few days in AoC where people were complaining of lag issues and high latency etc and then saying what thier system was. I had ZERO lag (apart from those couple of days in it's second month where the server was unstable). Games shouldn't set the standard for computing needs as you put it, companies should design games for the average players if they want to make more money. Games companies don't get a penny for people buying new systems, parts designers and manufacturers do.. so why should games be the ones to set the standard for system needs??

Hmm, I consider and considered myself in my right mind when I bought a new system for AOC.  It supposedly, according to the hype, had great graphics (as you yourself said), unending areas to explore and novel combat.  

My old system was maybe  3-4 yrs old before I upgraded.  A bit out of date but truly I could;'ve waited another couple yrs probably aside from AOC.  I think people do upgrade based on new software and that's nothing to be ashamed of.  (Unless of course you bought it for AOC, which turned out to have none of what was advertised..) 

Bad move in retrospect, true.  And it will never be repeated in the future.  No game company will snow me the way AoC did.  Nope.  Only after reading the forums 2-3 months in will I even buy a GAME, much less a computer. 

That being said, I'd pay for a new computer for a good game.  In reality, you have to upgrade eventually, a year or two in advance to play a game.  Who cares? 

• ToadmonkeyToadmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 84
    You know, I would rather play STO, because if I have to wait that long for STO I would just give up and move on to better things, like a family.

Awwww start a family......maybe in a few years you can get a couple boys who will join you online causing havoc.