Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loving WAR

Having read negative review after negative review from folks on this site, I just thought I would add something fresh.  I was very skeptical of WAR - didn't play in the open beta or preview weekend because I truely thought the game would fail.  Played WoW for 4 years, and thought that WAR was just another clone doomed for the shelf.  Until last week, I had no intentions of buying the game.  After a RL friend of mine talked me into it, I actually ended up pre-ordering it (almost too late) from gamestop after which I never received my head start key.  Just another kick in the balls from a game company, and once again my thoughts reverted back to the failure that was going to be WAR.

I got drunk as hell last night, stayed up until the servers opened, and created a character with reletive ease (I was surprised, I might add - figured I wouldn't even get in game last night).  Played for a couple hours before I passed out.  This morning I woke up, brewed a pot of coffee, and the only things I've done since are take short breaks to eat and use the restroom.  Yeah, its not a true breath of fresh air.  Yeah, most of it has been done before, ala WoW.  But, in my honest opinion, WAR just does it so much better.

Coming from games like UO and EVE, I despise PVP that has no meaning.  Running around bashing people who die and respawn, all the while gaining nothing except a few points and/or money - woop.  That is, until I tried WAR pvp.  Its fast paced, requires teamwork, and is just plain FUN.  I was expecting a clone of WoW BGs - but this, this is something different entirely.  WoW BGs are a chore, WAR RvR is FUN. 

The questing in WAR feels very similar to WoW, but since Im having so much fun doing RvR and scenarios I don't much care.  I full well expect this to get flamed, and again I don't really care.  This site is filled with WoW Fanbois who can't stand to see any part of their game get dethroned, but as far as Im concerned, goodbye WoW and hello WAR. 

-Para

Comments

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Jesus Christ man, don't you people go to work?

• kingbloopkingbloop Member Posts: 180

I like wow, and i like war so no flaming from me.

I enjoy the RvR in WAR a lot, its my fav thing about it, that and the rather funny quests you get on the Greenskin side. Common best quest in the game is picking up a drunk dwarf putting it in an empty barrel and kicking it off the castle. it should be repeatable with no exp, just cause its that amusing.

• aurickaurick Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by kingbloop

I enjoy the RvR in WAR a lot, its my fav thing about it, that and the rather funny quests you get on the Greenskin side. Common best quest in the game is picking up a drunk dwarf putting it in an empty barrel and kicking it off the castle. it should be repeatable with no exp, just cause its that amusing.

What made that even funnier for me was that the second or third quest you get is opening barrels floating by the edge of the water to see if they have beer in them.  Instead, they all turn out to have pissed off dwarves.  You scratch your head over that one -- until you get the quest to put the dwarves in the barrels and shove them over the edge.  Priceless.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by aurick

Originally posted by kingbloop

What made that even funnier for me was that the second or third quest you get is opening barrels floating by the edge of the water to see if they have beer in them.  Instead, they all turn out to have pissed off dwarves.  You scratch your head over that one -- until you get the quest to put the dwarves in the barrels and shove them over the edge.  Priceless.

Just dont open any strange barrels in Altdorf ! Trust me on this !!

• Alan0nAlan0n Member Posts: 576

So far I like what I see.  Its taking most of what is good about WOW and applying it to new ruleset.  Public quests are good but abit more polish on them and they would be even better.  They are to depending on how many are taking part and there is no script involved so 1 person is figthing the same as 30 would.

Overall I've enjoyed it alot today.  Servers abit laggy tho. 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

First impression is great! Jumping in that first PQ in the greenskin zone was allot of fun. Achieving goals in the world with random people without a hassle is awesome.  + the loot system and autorolls on rewards on PQ's which is very well thought out I must say. Can't wait till it's weekend.