Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the game about?

propolyzpropolyz Member UncommonPosts: 182
There seems to be a big Hype about this game.. and noticing it has the same rating as DAoC it must be pretty good.. I understand its in space and theres spaceships you use for combat and such.. but what is the plot to the game? There is a plot correct?

---------------------------------------------
Darkage of Camelot | Since Day 1 |

Seabasz 50 Hero | Lancelot / Hib
Seabas 50 Enchanter | Lancelot / Hib
Vlyden 50 Bezerker | Guinevere / Mid
Vydien 50 Armsman | Bors / Alb
Hellzpyro 45 Wizard | Merlin / Alb
Oceany 45 BM | Mordred / Mid
Seabasy 48 Bard | Mordred / Hib

Darkage of Camelot
Seabasz 50 Hero | Lancelot / Hib
Seabas 50 Enchanter | Lancelot / Hib
Vlyden 50 Bezerker | Guinevere / Mid
Vydien 50 Armsman | Bors / Alb
Hellzpyro 50 Wizard | Merlin / Alb
Oceany 45 BM | Mordred / Mid
Seabasy 48 Bard | Mordred / Hib

Comments

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

The same plot as all MMO's. Do as well as you can, have as much fun as you can doing it.

There RP events and such you can read at Eve-online.com, but I've never gotten into them.

http://www.eve-online.com/

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

The plot in condenced form:

-Large Wormhole found
    -Many people travel through the wormhole to EVE
    -No one is sure where EVE exactly is
    -Wormhole suddenly closes, cutting off everyone in EVE from support from Earth and other human systems.
    -Famines, death, wars ensue. Many die.
    -Thousands of years pass and five empires rise up. Amarr, Gallente, Caldari, Minmatar, and Jove. None of the empires know of each other's existance.
    -The Amarrians discover jump-gates and new technology that allows them to travel great distances throughout EVE.
    -The Five empires begin to discover each other.
    -Wars between the empires begin.
    -EVE:Online is taking place in a time of relative peace, which is a rarity among the empires.

Killer 86%, Achiever 46%, Socializer 33%, Explorer 33%

Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• ZipehZipeh Member Posts: 265

im sorta curious what you would call a plot for an mmorpg .. i mean they are by their very nature open ended adventuring games, where a world is created and the players interact with the world and each other.  the players and their development, interaction is the plot, in this way all mmorpg have plots. 

but i have a feeling that this is not what you meant in your question, so if you could give me an example of a plot in a mmorpg and how it was important to gameplay i might be better able to answer you question.

• UltharUlthar Member Posts: 16

Hmmm, what it is about and what the plots are really are two different questions. It is about building up as powerful an organization as one can to accomplish whatever objectives one might have. This might be claiming a piece of space for one's self, or it might be to become the most feared pirate around.  Or it might just be to kick back, relax and watch, amused, as everyone else scurries around like ants mindlessly accumulating ISK.

The plots come in two flavors: player-driven politics and CCP-inspired storylines. The latter has taken a back seat to the former, as the players have created dynamics far and beyond the original scope of the game, and the devs have responded by allowing them to drive plot themselves. For the roleplayers (admittedly few have chosen to pursue Eve-traditional roles) there are Empire-driven politics, such as the current Caldari COLLOSUS Race between the top 10 representatives from each megacorporation. However, mostly these affect those who follow such things. Most players seek the thrills of non-Empire space, which by definition has little going on NPC-wise (hence it is open for anyone with the firepower to claim).

Since I stared my account I can think of two Amarran plots (the Tash-Murkon Cathedral thing and the Heirs' Frigate Tourney), a Minmatar plot (the whole ceremonial weapon thing), a Caldari thing (the Collosus Race) and a couple Gallente thing (the hunt for UDI terrorists, which players were asked to participate in; and the recent poll on Foritran's re-election). There was also a universal contest regarding bits of Jovian ambassador all over Eve, and from what I understand there was also something with the introduction of Tech II (at least, the Miner IIs).

However, as with everything Eve, the best thing to do is to check the Forums. There are all sorts of things going on, most of which are player-driven. There is an Events forum on the Eve website with a half-dozen events going on, and there are unannounced events for which the GMs draw on players from help, recruitment, Eve chat and other public channels. I've seen them do it a couple times, just never in my region of space. Also, there are things on the Empire-specific channels from time to time, organized by the players and perhaps not announced elsewhere.

Eve does something that takes a lot of guts to do, and for which I have great respect: They have done away with the plothammer, and encouraged the players to write their own plots. I always love games where I can pretty much ignore all the noise from the gms and do my own thing, with my own group, without the ever-present plothammer to smash me for not adhering to a script. I know that there are many people out there who need more direction or limits, and this game is not for them.

Now with Night Hawks OMGWTFPWNAGE power!

Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond the blood that flows
    Buried beneath the stream of time is where your power grows
    I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand
    Before the power that you bestow
    In my unworthy hand