Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is the best, Anarchy Online, Neocron, Endless Ages, or Star Wars Galaxies?

WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402

I am getting into sci-fi MMORPGS. I want one with a good storyline and great, involving gameplay. I have played all games but not an extent. I was wondering if those who have played these games to an extent could tell me the pluses and disadvantages of the games. (One games is fine, I will just be grateful for the information)

P.S. Updates and future updates are also welcome information.

-Thanks and sorry if this is a trouble.

Comments

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

Out of that list, Anarchy Online is the best.

if endless ages was still like it was in beta i would have picked that

• acrobuddyacrobuddy Member UncommonPosts: 66
    AO.. hands down over any of those :)

-Scott

• BearishSunBearishSun Member Posts: 50

Definately AO.

I just started playing again few days ago and game has changed very much. It's excellent.

Uglyyyy!

• ZnithZnith Member Posts: 212
    Another vote for AO. 

• Kriminal99Kriminal99 Member Posts: 377

Well first off those dont even belong in the same category.  Neocron and Endless ages are video games and Anarchy online is just a virtual chatroom.  Ive heard that SWG is the same type of game as Anarchy.

Anarchy has really good graphics but absolutely no depth of gameplay... You feel really stupid when you look in your game folder and see that all the weapon sounds comes down to like 5 wav files... every weapon armour etc pic is used for like 100 different weapons and mobs, the tradeskill system is really lame there is like only one thing that can be made of any use.  The only thing that changes through out the all the game is a few numbers and the scenery.  Items look exactly the same, attacks are exactly the same just more damage or longer from level 1 to 200 (or wherever it goes now)  Its lame ass sandwich style combat where you don't do anything but watch, and its takes way to long considering you have nothing to do except press 1 for medkit and b for burst every couple of minutes.  The differences from one class to another are very minute, consisting mostly of their special attacks of which all classes can have a weak version of anyways.  The different weapon types are all very similar.  Anarchy has pretty good graphics compared to the other games.  The company running the game is cold and does not treat customers well, but you are unlikely to come into contact with them except maybe on the forums or if you have a bug.  The main purpose of this game seems to be to have people to talk to if you dont have them in real life... 

Neocron is the total opposite of Anarchy...  It has an fps combat system but you must aim before being able to hit your target sort of like Deus ex, every weapon type has very distinct advantages and disadvantages, as does every class (which are pretty closely tied to one weapon type as well)  Theres extremely long range rifles, and then remote control drones which you fly around and shoot things with, Cannons and pistols which do decent damage up close and then Psi attacks which do obscene damage or conteract defensive buffs but only a defensive weak character can use them, and then the healing/defensive discipline which is very involved and no less fun to play then any other character.  You have many other skills that the different classes excell at, hacking to get peoples items or steal Outposts for your clan (and soon will have many more uses), characters that can make themselves invisible, Drive or gun armed vehicles, and then a really good tradeskill system where you can make most items in the game and quality matters for the weapons.  There are a somewhat limited number of weapons and each type is used 3 times, but weapons are somewhat customizable so 2 weapons are rarely exactly alike.  The game IS a roleplaying game despite what it may sound like up to this point, with a very in depth and important leveling system - You can still beat someone somewhat higher level than you with tactics or fps skills, but levels do make a big difference.  Leveling is much faster than other mmorpg games, but it would still take a while to cap a character (The last 20 levels or so are the slowest).  The game is usually suffering from balance problems in one form or another and do not seem to have anyone capable of carefully analyzing the results of changing different aspects of the game, despite the fact that the game seems to have been delicately balanced when first created.  Many things are added and taken out either just for "story value" or because people demanded them without realizing what it would cause, and these things often greatly unbalance the game.  The graphics havent been great but are supposed to get better with the DOY version of the game coming out.  The company that runs this game treats customers REALLY BADLY however, and you are likely to run into a gm sooner or later and catch flak from him for whatever he feels like giving a hard time to you for (Volunteer gms have unlimited authority in this game and rules are not clearly defined).  They also have the same "we dont give a shit" attitude towards bugs as the company that runs AO, And have a particular communist attitude on their forums.  Last thing-  While the game has the set up to provide a really deep and enriching long term experience, they seem to lack the logical thinking skills to do this correctly.  There are Outposts for clans to fight over, but they hardly do anything.  Pvp used to be really fun, but they gave everyone a safe slot for the only thing worth getting in pvp and then locked the quickbelts so only a hacker can get whatever is your PVP reward.  Now PVP is as pointless as quake or something.  They put obscene numbers of greatly overpowered guards in all locations so it is impossible for different factions to raid each others camps.  If they wisen up the game could be much better, but it doesn't look like thats ever going to happen.

Endless Ages is somewhere inbetween the first 2 games.  It is also fps combat, but it is just straight fps like tribes or something (you get jetpacks and can fly all over the place).  The graphics are about as good as AO's graphics.  You level the way you do in Ultima Online, using a skill raises it.  However the amount of time it takes to cap a skill in Endless Ages is rediculously more than UO...  Someone told me they macroed a skill every night for like a year or 2 to cap it (a skill that raised slower for that class but still)  There is limited difference between different weapon and skill types, there is basically just straight shot and AOE  (and then melee), there isn't like drastically different strategies or advantages/disadvanteges for the different classes or anything.  The tradeskill system is alright but not great, there is only a few weapons per weapon class, and armours per armour class and the last few aren't makable they can only be found and once you find them you never lose them.  There are only a couple items that high level players require that tradeskillers can make like healing.  The game has pvp but the pvp is just like quake or something and gets boring fast, there is little benefit for doing it; the decent items are no drop and this causes the game to stagnate quickly.  The company that runs this game seems decent but maybe going downhill, they seem to be too involved with the world and trying to control players from doing whatever they want, although nowhere near as bad as Neocron. 

All I know about SWG is that it is sandwich combat and that alone tells me not to expect much from it. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PROBABILITY(YOUR STATEMENTS BEING MOTIVATED BY FEAR(I>U)) > .5

Someone doesn't like AO and thats your opinion and you have a right to it image

However..  to say just AO is a virtual chatroom is correct by my standards.   All mmo's are fancy chatrooms. 

As for the weps and armor.. yes some are the same but it's the quality that makes them different.  You could say SWG is pretty lame in this aspect because they only have a limited amount of armor and weps that are actually useful.   It's definately a numbers game.  There is crafted armor.

As for differences in class.. have you every played a Nanomage vs a Soldier?  Quite a bit of difference there as a solider relies on guns and a mage relies on blasting.  Thus a soldier needs are vastly different than a mage.  It's mostly the race you choose that determines your gimpness.  A trox nanomage is kinda silly but it can be done if thats what you want.  You won't be casting the 'great' spells but I guess you could run around looking all sexy in your muscular build

As for CS, most all mmorpgs suck and I've played quite a few in my time from UO to CoH.

Originally posted by Kriminal99

Well first off those dont even belong in the same category.  Neocron and Endless ages are video games and Anarchy online is just a virtual chatroom.  Ive heard that SWG is the same type of game as Anarchy.
    Anarchy has really good graphics but absolutely no depth of gameplay... You feel really stupid when you look in your game folder and see that all the weapon sounds comes down to like 5 wav files... every weapon armour etc pic is used for like 100 different weapons and mobs, the tradeskill system is really lame there is like only one thing that can be made of any use.  The only thing that changes through out the all the game is a few numbers and the scenery.  Items look exactly the same, attacks are exactly the same just more damage or longer from level 1 to 200 (or wherever it goes now)  Its lame ass sandwich style combat where you don't do anything but watch, and its takes way to long considering you have nothing to do except press 1 for medkit and b for burst every couple of minutes.  The differences from one class to another are very minute, consisting mostly of their special attacks of which all classes can have a weak version of anyways.  The different weapon types are all very similar.  Anarchy has pretty good graphics compared to the other games.  The company running the game is cold and does not treat customers well, but you are unlikely to come into contact with them except maybe on the forums or if you have a bug.  The main purpose of this game seems to be to have people to talk to if you dont have them in real life... 

• AzzazzimonAzzazzimon Member UncommonPosts: 211

How much or when did you play AO Znith?

Nanomage is a breed, not a profession(class)...

I assume you mean Nanotechnican tho.

The diffrent breeds doesn't have THAT much diffrence in the end game, usually matter most at tl 4 and tl5 caps.

I think Kriminal99 explained AO very good, and if FC come out with a new weapon/armor, then it's just another color of another item 99% of the time..

And it's supposed to be a Sci-Fi game, but one of the best clan helmets are a skull of a dead cow...

As I have said in AO section of board, the game is fun at low lvl, there are some content, but when you get higher lvl the only reason to play is because of your friends there, the game itself isn't much to care about.

-------------------------
    Azzazzimon

-------------------------
    Azzazzimon

Originally posted by Azzazzimon

How much or when did you play AO Znith?
    Nanomage is a breed, not a profession(class)...
    I assume you mean Nanotechnican tho.
    Yeah I meant nanotech..    seems I had a brainfart.    I am playing AO right now.. been playing on and off since it's release

• SkrmettiSkrmetti Member Posts: 8
    I can't speak for the other games (I tried to play AO but had such difficulty getting an account set up and working that I gave up), but SWG is in good shape now and getting better by the month.  It was definitely rough at launch, but the refinements and content additions since then have been great.  The depth of the player economy is truly amazing, character customization is better than any I have seen, there are a lot of professions, player cities are pretty well done, there are a lot of interesting locations in the game, and hey, it's Star Wars.  There are still grounds for complaint, but I'm very satisfied with the game and look forward to both the expansion and the upcoming patches.

WootHog: the social network site for MMO gamers

• AndthensomeAndthensome Member Posts: 2

__________________________________________________________________________________

I like AO the best.  I'm not sure how much time you put into AO, Kriminal99, but it probably wasn't a lot.  The tradeskill system is really lame and can only be used to make one thing of any use?  LOL, okay, then what about viral triumverate eggs that add 15 to int and psy plus 150 health and nano plus added damage to each of your hits?  Or what about treatment libraries which can be put into one of your utility slots to help you squeeze into that implant or symbiant that helps raise your skills/stats/ac/shield/hp or mp heal delta/etc. etc.?  Or what about a personalized robotic brain that raises your intelligence even further?  Or what about CAS armor?  Or what about Guns or a myriad of other things that are useful?

You say that combat is boring and you hit attack and sit back, maybe hit burst once in awhile or a special that is very weak?  LOL, man are you misinformed.  Agents can do 10k+ aimed shot every couple of minutes at relatively low levels, and 14k+ at mid to higher levels.  As a Martial Artist I have to do Limber, Dance of Fools, and before even engaging in battle I do Evasive Stance (since that lasts 10 minutes), all of which raises my evades into the freaking stratosphere.  Then I do Blessed With Thunder that puts a dot on the mob or person, then brawl and sometimes Dimach when in pvp or in an emergency situation with a mob.  Then I do a Chi Conductor and then another Brawl (since that refreshes quite fast), then maybe a heal with the Xuyun line of alien perks called Red Dawn that heals me for a lot plus my own nano based heal and a first aid spindle (usually I don't have to heal much because of my high evades, but when taking on hecklers in Shadowlands it's a different story).

True, there's no real storyline per se, but it does seem sort of like a story line when you're battling aliens that are invading player made cities or going on a raid in the Shadowlands into the bowels of the temples.

I personally like it way better than SWG because SWG just seemed boring to me.  I can't speak for it now after they released the space expansion, but I'm sure I would still prefer AO.

Neocron in the beginning catered to griefers because the way it was set up.  I'd go more into it, but I can't remember the name of the word used when determining your pvp status in that game.  It allowed higher lvl characters to attack and kill noobs without penalty and the noobs couldn't fight back otherwise get negative whatchamacallit (can't remember the name).  Was stupid in my opinion.

• rohbshoprohbshop Member Posts: 308

i almost went back to SWG, since a few people were making it sound really good here, and then i checked out some SWG forums and found out just how many issues the game has.  What i cant believe is that a few people that post here were touting SWG PvP as good, and then when i go to the forums i see all kinds of complaints about the way combat works, and how Sony is supposed to totally redo the combat system.  How can someone say the pvp is good when the combat system is being overhauled?  That makes no sense to me at all :p

Anyhow, i'd maybe visit some forums to get a general idea of whats going on in those respective games.  I think the general impression of a focused game forum says alot more than what a few people might think.  I'm talking about forums only about the game your interested in, not general game forums like this one.

• diegolinkdiegolink Member Posts: 195

Anarchy Online is the true Sci-Fi MMORPG experience, its the best youll find.

Here are my reviews:

Anarchy Online: Cool, good storyline, mature and helpful community, good graphics, great music and sound, good Customer Service, Roleplaying is great...if you hook with the right people and know how to roleplay in AO (here you dont roleplay a gay elf, RP is more about politics and tensions among the factions). But it also have flaws too, its buggy, youll see some fishes "swimming" out of the water, or even see some Atrox without heads!

Star Wars Galaxies: Buggy,buggy,buggy,buggy,buggy........BUG fest!, VERY laggy, youll need a great PC to survive the lag. Oh and the PvP is very unbalanced. HINT: if you like SW, play KoTOR and watch the first trilogy, I did image

Neocron: Whats that? All i know is its about  criminals, punks and whores shooting everywhere.

Endless Ages: This game is sweet. The gameplay is nice, its a MMO RPG/Shooter. Flaws: Buggy and graphics are horrible.

In conclusion:

1- Try Anarchy Online an and stay away from SWG, and dont listen the SOE fanboys! Im sure you dont want to be like them.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Anarchy Online hands down...not even a close race or a hard decision image

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Now hear me out, its just an opinion, I don't want yours. .

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Anarchy online is just a virtual chatroom. 

hmm

how long did u play AO?

That's not exactly an accurate discription.

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Now hear me out, its just an opinion, I don't want yours. .

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• HifructoseHifructose Member Posts: 308
    No depth of gameplay? I played AO for almost two years, and I never even got over level 110.  wait wait, listen..it's because...this game has insane depth.  I made so many unique alts, I found multiple ways to break archetypes for profs set by guide websites and other things multiple times, I made some twinks that I had never seen made by anyone else, and I ultimately drove myself insane witht he possibilities of this game. I would constantly have ideas for new combinations.  These game so incredibly wonderful for a myriad of reasons even other than this; it has spoiled me and made a search for a new mmorpg almost impossible.

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

I have to agree with the general consensus here...

AO was da bomb back in its day. I had actually hoped they would do an AO 2 instead of just adding expansion packs to what is unfortunately an outdated game.

I remember when this game was EQs biggest competitor. If you were an MMO player back then you either played EQ or you played AO. In my opinion AO was the better game.

ROLEPLAYERS UNITE!!!!!

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• SufinsilSufinsil Member Posts: 38

OR it was Asheron's call, the bugged release of AO and its open beta was so bad it took awhile to get it fixed it made into a great game by the time shadowlands came out.

I dont think someone played past lv 10 and got perks. At first all i thought i would have for 200 levels was burst and fast attack, then i hit 10 and looked at the wonderful list of abilites i can choose to get in the coming levels.

All these games are different and it doesn't make sense to compare. Try them out, found out which style is for you.

Star wars galaxies i had fun with the trial, but then after awhile i realized all i did was get a mission, go to nav point, kill 5 things, mission done i got cash and exp. I like any crafting that requires you to harvest resources, and each type of resource had different types which can give the item bit different attributes depending what you used to create it. All combat seemed either i was fighting a ranged mob, or melee mob.
    It is fun i suppose i wish it had more direction.

One thing i hate is playing one MMO and getting used to the style and graphics, its hard to change over for me.