Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game doesn't want me to play!

Garland7GGarland7G Member Posts: 97

After the disappointment of AoC and in my opinion WAR, my search for a new mmo has brought me to FFXI after years of neglect. I saw the 08 collection for PC for 20$ and thought, what the heck? I knew the install was going to take 3 hours and planned ahead.It actually took me like 3 and half hours after all the patches and such, but okay.

So, I create my char and log in, hrmm. I knew the graphics were going to be bad since the game is old but....the graphics i were looking at were not the same as those i've seen on the web or even the back of the box! Everything was fuzzy and EVERYTHING had so many jagged edges.. hrmm, okay, something is wrong! so i try to config my graphics in game, change the resolution or something, anything! No luck, it doesn't appear as though this is possible through the in game menu (at least after 30 minutes of fiddling with menu's, i couldn't find any way to change the resolution.)

So, I log out and search the web for answers. No big deal, as an avid mmo player since uo/eq days its not totally uncommon to do this once in a while to get a game working properly. After a few searches it was becoming evident that the only way to remove the fuzzy/jagged edgy graphics and set the reso was to use regedit and change them in the registry...why such a hassle? Needless to say i didn't wanna fool around in there and screw things up worse, so after an hour or so of searching for "other" options i ran across an ffxi program that changes the reso...okay, cool.

i log back in, graphics are fixed and about what i was expecting in the first place, but now i have a new problem. The controls are horrid! I remembered while check forums that it was best if played with a gamepad. So, I log out and go unhook my xbox 360 wireless controller. Then search the net again, this time for device drivers to get the controller to work since i never really had a reason to use it on my PC before. Long story short the drivers didn't work and since my controller was the wireless version, i would need to go buy this 20$ adapter to get it to work for my pc. Hrmm, since thats what i paid for the game itself and i'd prolly only use it for ffxi (since i mainly play mmo on the pc and everything else on 360) I decided to tough it out with the horrid controls and learn to use them.

So, i log back in and begin running around and trying to get use to the controls. For every ffxi player on a pc i cannot for the life of me see how u can use these keyboard controls. I assume you all use gamepads .

So, i alt/tab out of the game to try one last time to find drivers for the wireless, no luck. But when i alt/tab back into ffxi and try to log in, im getting error code: 3001 and then it boots me...i can select my char and make it to a black screen before this pops up. I've tried using the help feature in pol with no luck, and since it was a brand new char i've even deleted the char and made an exact duplicate and still nothing.

I guess its back to the web for more searches...I just hope as a new player its worth the hassle, but at this point i cannot see how it could possibly be..

Comments

• TrexorTrexor Member Posts: 44

Or  you can open your ffxi folder and change your setting with the program they give you which makes the game sharp (depending on your pc) Just make sure you pick the U.s folder and not the china one or it wont save your settings. Macros are your bestfriend in ffxi pretty good controlls really hold alt and a number castes a skill pretty simple.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

First off, since no one else will, i want to apologize that your having a rough time getting started. :(

It was a rough start for me to with the controls, but given time it comes naturally to me now, in fact I kind of wish other games would allow me to play the entire game without using the mouse like FFXI does. *well I don't use the mouse anyways, some probably do*

For your graphics problem, their is a program in the FFXI folder in your computer that will allow you to change the graphics, including resolution, textures, and other things im not sure what they do exactly. Its the Final Fantasy XI config program under the tool folders, their 2 versions one japanese and one english on my computer, so make sure to adjust the english one.

As for the controls, just give it time and practice with it. The box should have come with a keboard mapping which I found very helpful when I first started playing, cause yeah, the controls are..diffrent..They'll grow on you if you rough it out, ive actually grown to prefer the controls in FFXI to other games, but that might just be me. Macros are very helpful as well, confusing at first glance to some, but you'll grow to love them.

As for the game crashing, I do not understand why FFXI crashes when you minimize out or anything similar, it does it to me as well, and I assume it has something to do with starting the game from playonline or something, but the fact is, you cannot minimize FFXI, or alt/tab or anything, if you do it will crash, and you'll have to log back in from scratch :P I assume it happens to everyone else as well

It sounds like you can't get in at all to your character now however, ive not had that happen, have you tried googling FFXI and the error code? If nothing turns up there, you can check with a gm through the playonline help stuff, I imagine they should be able to help you out?

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

I know how you feel.. I recently reinstalled FFXI to play with my old guild with a trial account and had forgotten how difficult it was just to set up the game. Install, playonline setup, patches, graphics, controls, reading essays if you're brand new to know how to start, etc etc.

I was using my keyboard too, and after about half an hour of play it became natural to me again. I don't know what to tell you, but if you are interested in this hardcore game, then i'd say that it's definetly worth all this hassle.

If not, uninstall and run for your life! FFXI is very unforgiving.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

About the error code thing, I did some googling myself and found this thread:

vnboards.ign.com/ffxi_tech_support_board/b22547/76532080/r92709343/

I don't really understand it, but it sounds like the problem might be with your router/modem or something, definantly try and contact playonline about it if you can't find any other solution.

Wish I could be more help :(

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

Sorry for you having troubles.

Couple of things though. I don't think that the game can be blamed for all the problems.  It's not FFXI's fault you have only a wireless controller.

However, the controls do get easier with the keyboard (I use keyboard only, i rarely use the mouse except when scrolling through inventory, Mog Safe, Locker, Listings on AH, etc)  and you can even set it up to use the buttons, W, S, A, D like more traditional MMO's.  I don't have mine set like this however.

The Alt-Tab thing is a fail safe built into the game by SE to stop people from running bots in the background.  You can run FFXI in native windowed mode through the settings in game or you can use a third party program called Windower (www.windower.net) and use it.  Again, you will need to configure some stuff but with it you can use some plugins to make your life easier like recast timers, auto-sorting of inventory (though this is available in game now too in configuration), along with a multitude of other things.

Remember though, SE has a strict policy when it comes to programs like this in that you can be suspended or banned if caught using them.  However, i've heard very very very few people say they've been banned using it and the ones i have seen, i'm assuming it was their attitude or something else that got them banned and they wanted to blame windower.

I do feel you though, this game was a complete and utter pain in the ass to get running but to me it was well worth it.  I do, though, keep a backup of all the dat files and my registry so that incase of a format or something, i dont have to install, i can just move the files over.  Makes things a lot easier than reinstalling.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

The resolution is changed in a separtate program. Start > Programs > PlayOnline > Configure FFXI (there might be another folder I am not sure). The game assumes you are using a resolution of i THINK 640x480 ... changing it to your normal resolution will fix the fuzziness. If you play on a wide screen monitor I recommend playing in windowed mode. You can turn this on with the config program from above. If you change the resolution to your widescreen settings all it does is stretch the graphics out, it doesn't give you more viewing area on the sides. It is okay considering the idea of wide scrren monitors was not even on the radar when this game was made.

The controls of this game are quite simple ... you can play it with one hand if you wanted to. Use the number pad:

• 8 - 4 - 6 - 2 ... Forward - Left - Right - Back ...
    • 9 and 3 zoom in and out
    • if you hit 7 while holding down the 8 key you start Auro run.
    • / Engages walk
    • * make you heal/lock onto target
    • - Opens menu
    • + switches windows
    • 0 switches targets
    • {CR} - works liek any other enter key

And then you can use the tradition arrow keys to move your camera with your thumb. I don't even know what 1 or . does if anything I don't use it. I THINK all this is in the instructions and on that card they give you with the software. Honestly, and this is probably because I have played since the NA release, a controller is not better in my opinion. I actaully use a wireless keyboard for my XBox when i play on that. The only problem you should have with the control scheme is if you are left handed and using your non-dominate hand to play. Just because you don't point and click on a mob 80 times to kill it doesn't mean it is a bad system.

ALT + Tab has always been a problem, but it is a problem they programmed in to the game to fight cheating. If you want to swtich windows just run in windowed mode, but you lose your abiltiy to alt+tab out of the game and force a disconnect when you are in a situation you don't want to be in.

• noxielnoxiel Member Posts: 48

Same happened to me. Got caught in the lovely $20 price ticket and bought a horrible almost impossible without a game pad, bad graphics old game.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by noxiel

Same happened to me. Got caught in the lovely $20 price ticket and bought a horrible almost impossible without a game pad, bad graphics old game.

/sigh.  You opinion became invalid at "horrible".  Stating opinions and your lack of skill as facts about a game shows you do not know what you are talking about.  It's a great game if you like Final Fantasy and the style it brings, It's not almost impossible to play this without a game pad as I use keyboard 100% and cant fathom how people play with a controller.  As far as the graphics, you obviously did not configure it correctly so again, you're inept.  Not the game.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900
    Originally posted by Suplyndmnd

Originally posted by noxiel

/sigh.  You opinion became invalid at "horrible".  Stating opinions and your lack of skill as facts about a game shows you do not know what you are talking about.  It's a great game if you like Final Fantasy and the style it brings, It's not almost impossible to play this without a game pad as I use keyboard 100% and cant fathom how people play with a controller.  As far as the graphics, you obviously did not configure it correctly so again, you're inept.  Not the game.

Bingo.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

Out of curiousity...

why are you playing on PC when you have a xbox360?...

The game is a lot more smoother on a xbox360... Tell you the truth... the game still look crap compare to xbox360 with a Geforce 8600 GTS. But personally, i think AoC look worse... for some reason.

none

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by wrongfeifong

Out of curiousity...
    why are you playing on PC when you have a xbox360?...
    The game is a lot more smoother on a xbox360... Tell you the truth... the game still look crap compare to xbox360 with a Geforce 8600 GTS. But personally, i think AoC look worse... for some reason.

I have heard a few people this week tell me that the 360 keeps getting fried and all they do is play FFXI.I think the 360 you need to limit the amount of time you play on it. I run both PC and 360 and I primarily play on the PC and use a keyboard for both platforms.

• SeiyuukiSeiyuuki Member Posts: 15

Its a great game in my opinion.

The graphics have a confic program

Start> All programs> Play Online> Final Fantast XI> Final Fantasy XI Config.

All the graphics options are there.

You can get modifications for the graphics, but I'm not sure if its legal to use them.... So I dont.

Though I like playing at a low res sometimes, makes me think back to FF8, the grain-like pixels that you got outside of battle, it was almost as if there was no destictive 3D shape to the characters.

• ipod80gbipod80gb Member Posts: 90

if u have a good graphic card for ya PC, this game will look great and run smoothly. Most people go for the consoles because of control issues but those dont bother me

• RproRpro Member Posts: 89

I have FFXI for both PC and 360. It looks better on my PC than my 360, and that's with a 1080p HDTV.

• arkimidiesarkimidies Member Posts: 3

I've got FFXI for PC, PS2(on my PS3) and 360, as for which one I play, it depends on my mood at the time, if I want to kick back and relax I'll play on my PS3 or 360, if I want good graphics I'll play on my PC.  As for the control 'issues' I've tried to play with a controler on either pc or console and I have to say the keyboard is much easier, to use imo.  I think where most people get into trouble is most other MMO's the spacebar is for jumping not for opening your chat window.

• Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver Member Posts: 270

The controls are easily changed. I personally use the standard W, A, S, D to move.