Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard to play another MMO after playing Eve

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

So i've played Eve for a couple years+ after my time in eve i took a break and decided to try other mmos.

Well they just can't compare. I even used my old WoW ressurection scroll and tried WoW i played that for about an hour out of the ten free days they gave me.

Todays mmos just don't give you the freedom that eve does.

After pvping in Eve, pvp in other games seem meaningless.

I originally left eve due to my corp being lame and gate camping 100% of the time.

Maybe i'll comeback and try some crafting or mining.

Eve> every other damn mmo on the market, this pisses me off cause I wanted to try something new.

Maybe when CCP makes that vampire mmo I'll try that till then its back to the goo filled pod baby!

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• razerbladerazerblade Member Posts: 41

U should try PVP in WAR its pretty fun and AOC when they get it to what it should of ben at launch

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by razerblade

U should try PVP in WAR its pretty fun and AOC when they get it to what it should of ben at launch

While I will try WAR what bothers me about that game is that fact that when you die in pvp it doesn't mean anything.

Once you play a game with whiteknuckle pvp that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end, A game that has pvp, players are truly afraid of due to item loss and possible skill loss its tough to just pvp, die rez and not lose shit.

you have to ask yourself, why bother?

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by razerblade U should try PVP in WAR its pretty fun and AOC when they get it to what it should of ben at launch

While I will try WAR what bothers me about that game is that fact that when you die in pvp it doesn't mean anything.
    Once you play a game with whiteknuckle pvp that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end, A game that has pvp players are truely afraid of due to item loss and possible skill loss it tough to just pvp, die rez and not lose shit.

I agree, especially when the PvPers (in WAR) are handed gear on a silver platter and gear is still such a huge part of the game. PvE is a joke, and then we're encouraged to not even bother doing it. If they leave the gear in, then it's just a matter of he-who-plays-the-most wins, and if they take it out then it's just a slow version of Halo.

If I wanted this kind of PvP, I would have stuck with WoW's Arena. Nothing has changed.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I know what you mean, I played Eve for two hours. I did the free trial, couldn't get past the second hour. I got sick, very sick. I was almost hospitalized. I came down with what is called "Extremely Bad MMOitis". I was down for months, I couldn't even play a single player game on my console, it was bad. I had to go through therapy, I was very slowly brought back to MMO's through friends playing WoW. I played just a little bit at a time, just to get my gaming abilities and strength back. It took two whole years, but I finally pulled through and am happy to say that I'm a full blown, hard core gamer again.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Once you play a game with whiteknuckle pvp that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end, A game that has pvp players are truely afraid of due to item loss and possible skill loss it tough to just pvp, die rez and not lose shit.

Yeah I totally agree with you. It just seems like a waste of time to me too. I want PvP with some meaning to it and WAR just doesnt seem to offer that. Kill someone and they will be back in the fray a few minutes later. No-one is bothered about dieing in that game so indeed why bother?

I'm keeping my eye on Earthrise as it looks like the ground-based equivalent of EVE. Unfortunately it wont be finished until some time next year so it looks like EVE is the only decent PvP game around at the moment. Oh well.

Originally posted by Blazer6992

I know what you mean, I played Eve for two hours. I did the free trial, couldn't get past the second hour. I got sick, very sick. I was almost hospitalized. I came down with what is called "Extremely Bad MMOitis". I was down for months, I couldn't even play a single player game on my console, it was bad. I had to go through therapy, I was very slowly brought back to MMO's through friends playing WoW. I played just a little bit at a time, just to get my gaming abilities and strength back. It took two whole years, but I finally pulled through and am happy to say that I'm a full blown, hard core gamer again.

Bloody brilliant!!!

However I would never reccomend two whole years of playing WoW as suitable therapy. Surely that would have the opposite effect and plunge you straight back into soul melting depression wouldnt it? All those endless levels to chase, only to find yourself stuck having exactly the same experience over and over again. Yikes I'm feeling rather down just thinking about it

Originally posted by neonwire

I'm keeping my eye on Earthrise as it looks like the ground-based equivalent of EVE. Unfortunately it wont be finished until some time next year so it looks like EVE is the only decent PvP game around at the moment. Oh well.

Earthrise and Fallen Earth seem to have Pvp with some type of risk.

Have you seen the latest screens of earthrise? the game better comeout in 2010 it looks like it would need a freaking supercomputer to run. I believe NASA computers would lagg in that game lol.

www.tentonhammer.com/node/42923

Have you seen the latest screens of earthrise? the game better comeout in 2010 it looks like it would need a freaking supercomputer to run. I believe NASA computers would lagg in that game lol.

Yeah the graphics in Earthrise do actually look rather spectacular which of course gives rise to concerns about how well it would run. However I would certainly be willing to give it a try. Besides I'm a graphics whore so I had better start saving up for that NASA computer 

Fallen Earth seems to be less pretty and therefore might be more stable. I kind of prefer the various different factions within that game two.

To be honest I think both of those games are far more interesting than anything else in the pipeline at the moment......well as far as I can see anyway. Darkfall might deliver but to be honest I wasnt all that impressed with the trailer and I'm just not so sure considering its reputation. Hopefully it will surprise me though.

All of them are branching away from the mainstream level-based-themepark design that mmos seem to have taken though so those are three games I will be keeping my eyes on. They are all player driven mmos with real working economies and offer meaningful PvP. At last I might be able to log into a game and actually deal with players as well as the computer.

• GramisGramis Member Posts: 99

I hate to break it to you it seems that  desease you got from a previous game you`ve played (includes brainwashing and turning the subject addict to the said game) and looks like it just evolved to the last stage (where pacient begins to halucinate - cant really see other game than the one it caused said desease as being a good game, has the impresion that by playing the said game he is somehow a hardcore gamer - almost a demigod of gamers). Your desease is also known as "WoW syndrome".

Yeah the graphics in Earthrise do actually look rather spectacular which of course gives rise to concerns about how well it would run. However I would certainly be willing to give it a try. Besides I'm a graphics whore so I had better start saving up for that NASA computer 

Fallen Earth seems to be less pretty and therefore might be more stable. I kind of prefer the various different factions within that game two.

To be honest I think both of those games are far more interesting than anything else in the pipeline at the moment......well as far as I can see anyway. Darkfall might deliver but to be honest I wasnt all that impressed with the trailer and I'm just not so sure considering its reputation. Hopefully it will surprise me though.

All of them are branching away from the mainstream level-based-themepark design that mmos seem to have taken though so those are three games I will be keeping my eyes on. They are all player driven mmos with real working economies and offer meaningful PvP. At last I might be able to log into a game and actually deal with players as well as the computer.

If you like Earthrise, Darkfall and Fallen Earth also check out Crusades and Mortal Online.

with 5 new Sandbox mmos ariving in the next 1-2 years the future looks bright.

Will be a welcome addition to the Sandbox/Skill Based/ FFAPVP genre along with Eve.

Just sucks that at this moment we have no other sandbox, ffapvp options.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i am on war beta for almost 1 year (i can talk about war is less complicated that DAOC, and why i dislike war) and war rvr remember me when playing counter strike on fy pool day maps and now the beta is reset and have to lvl up and i got bored i am lvl 4

BestSigEver :P

If you like Earthrise, Darkfall and Fallen Earth also check out Crusades and Mortal Online.

with 5 new Sandbox mmos ariving in the next 1-2 years the future looks bright.

Will be a welcome addition to the Sandbox/Skill Based/ FFAPVP genre along with Eve.

Just sucks that at this moment we have no other sandbox, ffapvp options.

I was aware of Mortal Online but I didnt know anything about Crusades so thanks for that one. OK so thats 5 chances of there being a good original mmo coming out over the next few years. Thats great news and quite a relief actually. I was expecting to see more crap like WAR and Aion on the horizon but its seems like the future of mmos does indeed look brighter than I thought.

Originally posted by Gramis

I hate to break it to you it seems that  desease you got from a previous game you`ve played (includes brainwashing and turning the subject addict to the said game) and looks like it just evolved to the last stage (where pacient begins to halucinate - cant really see other game than the one it caused said desease as being a good game, has the impresion that by playing the said game he is somehow a hardcore gamer - almost a demigod of gamers). Your desease is also known as "WoW syndrome".

Yeah I found it kind of amusing and odd too that he caught his desease from EVE (most original mmo around at the moment) and ended up succumbing to the horror of all brain melting diseases known as WoW. In his weakened state of mind the WoW virus must have seemed so tempting with its simplicity and lack of effort required to play. Now he is part of the infected masses and in his fever he is hallucinating that he is a "hardcore gamer" as he mindlessly grinds those levels with the other infected victims. After two years of being exposed to the disease I really dont think there is anything that can be done for him as all he will now only be able to think on the most basic of levels. The next stage of his affliction will be WAR.

• SoraellionSoraellion Member UncommonPosts: 558

EVE is marmite, most hate it  and some love it. Once you tasted it and love it, there's nothing that is comparable.

• zappydogzappydog Member Posts: 7

I agree with the OP.

I started off with EQ, played 6 years, tried EVE because a buddy played it, did not do the tutorial and could not understand anything at all, moved to EQ2, played that for 1.5 years, then EVE again, did the turorial and have played it ever since, meantime i tried Vanguard, WOW, AOC, Tabula Rasa, but nothing ever since has worked out for me, only EVE.

So yeah, i also think it is hard to move to another MMORPG once you are entangled by what EVE has to offer, going into my 3rd year now, and i still learn new stuff and get new goals every week, keeping me in for the long haul it seems.

• pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

Ye played most mmorpg there is on the market and betas
    and EvE have more things and what is in my case I never need to grind/exp again.

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600

Lol I have to agree. Ive played EvE since 06 on and off to try other games. Each and every time i am left wondering "why am i leveling for again?" "Is this really pvp?". Its true that EvE is a game you either hate or love, but at least for me its the best game in the market atm.

As others have said, Earthrise seems to be one to look out for. If darkfall delivers i may play it though i am more of a sci-fi fan.

• eve_veteve_vet Member Posts: 3

yea me too I feel like in prison when trying games like wow and hard even go back to old games I been playing before EvE Online too.

LOL you Necro'd my newb thread!!

haha check it out this was before I really got into combat lol.

I still think my OP is true though

EVE > Everything else

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by Gramis

Yeah I found it kind of amusing and odd too that he caught his desease from EVE (most original mmo around at the moment) and ended up succumbing to the horror of all brain melting diseases known as WoW. In his weakened state of mind the WoW virus must have seemed so tempting with its simplicity and lack of effort required to play. Now he is part of the infected masses and in his fever he is hallucinating that he is a "hardcore gamer" as he mindlessly grinds those levels with the other infected victims. After two years of being exposed to the disease I really dont think there is anything that can be done for him as all he will now only be able to think on the most basic of levels. The next stage of his affliction will be WAR.

Some people are never funny, even when they try

• BorkotronBorkotron Member Posts: 282

I must agree with OP. After spending time in both Second Life and EVE Online, I do not want to go back to PvE/Quest/Raiding games again. If I wanted those types of games (fighting against computer A.I.), I would go play a single player. I find that the vast majority of MMO gamers prefer this type of cooperative play over anything that is competative between players.

I love EVE for it's no holds barred PvP and it's massive universe. I loved the fact that everything was player made and the economy was completey player driven. I loved not having universal banks and learning about all the various ways people played this sandbox game. Most of all, I loved that players had an impact on the world via territory conquest.

It's the same reason why I loved Second Life. While not a game, per se, I was still able to create and design anything my mind could imagine plus the virtual world is completey built by the world's users. So many people complain that there is no RP in MMOs but seriously, if you are looking for real RP (not combat based), then SL is the place for you.

Anyway,  if a game cannot offer me 1. User created world and /or economy 2. PvP/Full Loot 3. Player impact on world, it just anit worth my time.