Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What items at the grocery store do you buy only when they are on sale?

ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

In the spirit of avoiding the hot button political and religious issues, I wanted to come up with a thread that is completely non-controversial.  I went to the grocery store today and it made me think about what items I buy whether they are on sale or not and what items I wait until they go on sale before I buy them.

Some items I buy whether they are on sale or not: cereal, bananas, milk, juice, salad stuff (lettuce, tomatoes, etc.), deli items, soap, shampoo, tooth paste, cat food, cat litter, oranges, cheese, pasta, rice...that's not an exhaustive list, but those are the most common items.

Items I will buy only when they go on sale: chips, cookies, stawberries, grapes (depends on that one, sometimes I will buy them if they are not on sale if I'm really in the mood for some), pop (or soda as some parts of the country call it), fruit roll-ups (I love those things, but they are expensive), candy, black cherries, plums (that's not completely true, I bought some plums today that were not on sale).  I'm sure there's more, but those are the things that immediately come to mind.

You can flame me for those choices if you want to, but I'm not going to change my mind.

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

steak and cosmopolitan magazines.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

i only buy the cereals that are on sale. usually 2 for $5. sickening the price of cereals. the breakfast cereal company conspiracy at its best!

although, sometimes the captain and his crunchberries find themselves in my shopping cart.

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-

• PyrichPyrich Member Posts: 1,040

Basic are basics like the op stated.  Except for the cat products,  cheese,  and bananas.  I am a big bread guy though,  love me some rye,  real wheat,  etc,  etc.    Still buy the bratwurst,  sauerkraut,  jalapenos and large dinner rolls (the really large ones)  for the occasional weekend BBQ.

Steak is ridiculously high,  Even chicken has been too high.  Lately been making alot of rice and beans or split pea soup (which I love, but lately it's a twice a week thing).

**and what the hell is up with the price of eggs???  When i left the states a few years ago you could get a dozen for like $.50,  now they're like $2.50.....  WTF

Of course when I left gas was also about $1.30 a gallon also.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Birth control.

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

flank steak... maybe shrimp or some other kind of sea food... the good yogurt. not the cheap stuff.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

Hell i just buy what I want when i want it. If its on sale cool, if not oh well.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    Originally posted by bluberryhaze

i only buy the cereals that are on sale. usually 2 for $5. sickening the price of cereals. the breakfast cereal company conspiracy at its best!
    although, sometimes the captain and his crunchberries find themselves in my shopping cart.

I only eat LIFE cereal.  For some reason, I've liked it since a kid.  My mom wouldn't let us eat sugared cereal and LIFE was the only non-sugared cereal I really enjoyed.  Although when I examine the squares, I can still see some sugar added to it.

Have you ever heard Seinfeld's bit on LIFE?  He says, "Where do the makers of this cereal get off calling it LIFE?  Most cereals have names like 'Capt Crunch' or 'Frosted Flakes'.  But no, this is much bigger than that, this is 'LIFE'".

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

haha, missed that episode. although the top of my fridge(where i keep the cereal) looks like jerry's collection.

and yes, LIFE(all caps), is a great cereal. and it is lightly sweetened. Mikey likes it! 

Special K with the Red Berries  is more lightly sweetened goodness. 

Special K- sounds like another jerry conversation :)

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-