Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers: Core vs Open

For those who are playing Warhammer already;

I'd like to know how you feel about the 2 different servers and their rules .. does "open" servers just feel like a gank fest or not.  I usually play on "open" servers but have found that they are not always fun on some games. 

I've also played on some "Core" servers that just got way too boring to play on. 

So, would like to know what you guys think so far.

Thanks

Comments

• honkeytonkmahonkeytonkma Member Posts: 96

Core If you like to be a care bear nub

Open if you still like to be a nub but less of a care bear.

• Originally posted by honkeytonkma

Anyone who says an answer that is some sort of permutation of this should be ignored.

Its an interesting question in WAR.  Beacuse the different racial pairings are mixed different.  The Elf pariing is pretty separate.  The Dwarfs and orcs are mixed together I think even some of their PQ are shared and competitive.  Empire is kind of in between.

So if you try to play in the dwarf area on open versus playing in the Elf area it will probably be wildly different experience.

I would predict that what ever side is outnumbered will PvE in the Elf area.  And trying to PvE in Dwarf area will be very unproductive.

And if any slack jawed people try to claim that does matter well then they are ignorant.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by honkeytonkma

You do realize what a care bear is right? It's a cute and cuddly bear. So you just basically stated the he would become a cute and cuddly noobie. Are you trying to pick up men online? :) Not that it matters, I just find it funny that people online have resorted to the worst diss's ever to try to put someone down. ANd before you open your mouth again, alot better PvP can be found on those cute and cuddly servers. If you don't believe me, go find out for yourself.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I'm an open fan myself. Too bad there is this matter with the open server ruleset as of yet; the chicken rule applies to you when you travel to a lower tiered zone; also outside the rvr designated areas. Meaning you can't gank lowbies nor complete pve stuff in previous tiers since you'll be turned in a chicken almost everywhere.

note: Just came back from holidays and the above is the situation as far as I know it; I do hope they have or will change this ruleset. Changing you in to a chicken only from the moment when you engage in pvp in lower tiered zones would be a nice compromise to me.

• LeKinKLeKinK Member Posts: 899
    Originally posted by DarkPony

I'm an open fan myself. Too bad there is this matter with the open server ruleset as of yet; the chicken rule applies to you when you travel to a lower tiered zone; also outside the rvr designated areas. Meaning you can't gank lowbies nor complete pve stuff in previous tiers since you'll be turned in a chicken almost everywhere.
    note: Just came back from holidays and the above is the situation as far as I know it; I do hope they have or will change this ruleset. Changing you in to a chicken only from the moment when you engage in pvp in lower tiered zones would be a nice compromise to me.

yeah the chicken rule got nerfed. Only aply to tier 1 now if i remember.

• Originally posted by DarkPony

They changed it so that Tier 2 can go to Tier 1 and tier 3 to tier 2, but tier 3 get turned into chickens.

If this is not good enough then I do not know what to tell you.  I could destroy a level 11 as a level 21 and I would have a mount.  As sword master a level 11 would do like 5 damage to me with over 3k HP and my attacks would be hitting for, according to my tests, over 300 on a crit and over 200 normal with a great sword.  Plus with two AoE attack which debuff resistances and knock things around I could seriously mess up a lot of newbies.

So if you want to spread the misery and smash newbs then you can.  And you can do all the PvE you want as a higher level.

But if you want to go in as a level 40 and be close to invincible sorry.  I can't possibly see how you can argue that this matters in anyway though.  Since Tier 2 can smash Tier 1s anyway. 

A level 21 witch elf will kill even a well geared lvl 11 Ironbreaker in nothing flat.  A level 21 WE is very painful to even a lvl 18 sowrdmaster with over 50% mitigation in armour and 20% blocking with shield.  A lvl 11 IB will die in seconds.

The only difference is if they band together the Tier 1s have a chance.  I remember rolling on a PvP server with my Tauren druid.  First thing i saw was a lvl 60 (max at the time) alliance druid in first small town the starting area killing all the NPCs and various level 3-9s  trying to kill her. 

It was RETARDED.  Not fun,  not paingful.  Nothing.  Just plain stupid.  No amount of low levels had a chance and this druid was just camping for no reason and it had no effect on gameplay.  I watched for a bit and went and killed some wolves woooopy.   Because what was going on there was worthless.

Beware of anyone who advocates for lvl 40 being able to go to Tier 1.  They have no interest in a good game.  In fact they probably have serious problems.

• fuellefuelle Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by LeKinK

Did they change it again?  Last thing I read on the Herald was that you would be chickened if you went to 2 tiers below your tier.  This would allow you to go to both tier 1 and 2 until you got to tier 3, which should be plenty of time to complete lower tier PvE stuff in other faction zones. 

Edit: Has anyone who isn't frothing at the mouth because they are rabid with pvp fervor played on the Open ruleset?  How was it?  I am considering giving it a try but, I dont want to waste my time if it wasn't fun.

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

Thanks, so far many of you guys have been a lot of help  =)  have enjoyed your imput !

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

Right now you gotta be crazy playing Order on an open server.

Open is pretty broken atm with destruction zerg being like 3/1 to order in numbers.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019
    Originally posted by fuelle

Did they change it again?  Last thing I read on the Herald was that you would be chickened if you went to 2 tiers below your tier.  This would allow you to go to both tier 1 and 2 until you got to tier 3, which should be plenty of time to complete lower tier PvE stuff in other faction zones. 

Edit: Has anyone who isn't frothing at the mouth because they are rabid with pvp fervor played on the Open ruleset?  How was it?  I am considering giving it a try but, I dont want to waste my time if it wasn't fun.

Glad to know this. If this applies to Open as well then I will definitely be playing on an Open RvR server. That's a great way to do things.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

i normally play on open pvp servers myself but this time i'll go core. when the devs first started the rulesets for both, i remember them stressing how core is really how they want the game to be played. playing core server during beta showed me theres PLENTY of rvr action in the right areas to satisfy my pvp needs.

• fuellefuelle Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Salio69

i normally play on open pvp servers myself but this time i'll go core. when the devs first started the rulesets for both, i remember them stressing how core is really how they want the game to be played. playing core server during beta showed me theres PLENTY of rvr action in the right areas to satisfy my pvp needs.

This is exactly what I have been thinking.  Whenever I wanted some pvp, it was always readily available.  This is why I'm not sure if i want to bother trying Open, because I feel like more pvp is just going to be too much pvp as well as take away from the more meaningful pvp in the RvR areas.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by gestalt11

They changed it so that Tier 2 can go to Tier 1 and tier 3 to tier 2, but tier 3 get turned into chickens.

If this is not good enough then I do not know what to tell you.  I could destroy a level 11 as a level 21 and I would have a mount.  As sword master a level 11 would do like 5 damage to me with over 3k HP and my attacks would be hitting for, according to my tests, over 300 on a crit and over 200 normal with a great sword.  Plus with two AoE attack which debuff resistances and knock things around I could seriously mess up a lot of newbies.

So if you want to spread the misery and smash newbs then you can.  And you can do all the PvE you want as a higher level.

But if you want to go in as a level 40 and be close to invincible sorry.  I can't possibly see how you can argue that this matters in anyway though.  Since Tier 2 can smash Tier 1s anyway. 

A level 21 witch elf will kill even a well geared lvl 11 Ironbreaker in nothing flat.  A level 21 WE is very painful to even a lvl 18 sowrdmaster with over 50% mitigation in armour and 20% blocking with shield.  A lvl 11 IB will die in seconds.

The only difference is if they band together the Tier 1s have a chance.  I remember rolling on a PvP server with my Tauren druid.  First thing i saw was a lvl 60 (max at the time) alliance druid in first small town the starting area killing all the NPCs and various level 3-9s  trying to kill her. 

It was RETARDED.  Not fun,  not paingful.  Nothing.  Just plain stupid.  No amount of low levels had a chance and this druid was just camping for no reason and it had no effect on gameplay.  I watched for a bit and went and killed some wolves woooopy.   Because what was going on there was worthless.

Beware of anyone who advocates for lvl 40 being able to go to Tier 1.  They have no interest in a good game.  In fact they probably have serious problems.

Thanks for the info (and others as well!)

Great news for me, to be honest. Not so much due to the extra option to gank lowbies, but much more because of the added excitement of higher leveled bastards roaming your neighborhood.

My personal WoW pvp server anecdote; The first time I encountered a level 60 tauren warrior in WoW I nearly crapped in my pants; he was on a S&D mission to kill me and others who had been attacking lower leveled hordelings questing in Hillsbrad. Trying to avoid that big lumox while still getting an occasional kill was exhilarating gameplay for me :) And a great incentive to become big and bad myself one day.

In my opinion an mmo gets more diverse and exciting when people get to physically show their advantage in combat prowess out in the world a.k.a. the occasional gankage. PvP is almost never fair and balanced, nor is war and violence in real life.

But that comes from a free for all pvp fan ;-)

And if I am really honest I have to say that being ganked by a higher leveled player who obviously outclasses me is less frustrating and more of a cause for a sigh and a laugh then getting my ass handed to me by someone of my own level range (let alone; below my own level >_<)

• ParkCarsHereParkCarsHere Member Posts: 666
    Originally posted by Salio69

Exactly. I am like you and usually play on the Full PvP servers, but I will be rolling Core for this game. Mythic made the game under a Core ruleset, and added Open after people showed interest in it. I think both will be solid server choices, but Core seems like the best for me. RvR PvP will happen a lot of either server, but Core rules seem more fun to me.

• p0r4p0r4 Member Posts: 7

There are a lot of people who cant decide between the two, most often they want open pvp but are not happy with the content restrictions (the chicken mechanic kicking in when entering lower tier zones).

The thing that most do not fully comprehand is that while it is true that the pvp lakes are a relatively small part of the lower tiers, they take up 95% of the 4th tier, where most of the action will take place endgame... effectively defeating the purpose of 'open' servers....

I, personally will roll 'core' on this one, pvp is the central focus of the game as it is, + the above mentioned and it seems obvious that the optimal experience will be on a 'core' server...

• Originally posted by fuelle

They did an Open server in the laste few days of OB.  I didn't try it as I wanted to do Tier 2 stuff and had my guy on one of the Core servers from the start of OB.

• XristoXristo Member UncommonPosts: 41

I love the sound of open rvr but I have a question.  Lets say you respec a tradeskill (if possible), does it require the lower tiers to level up or could you level your skills in the higher tiers? 

I apologize if this is an ignorant question.  Im stuck in Iraq and can't even play my CE i ordered because Satellite internet sucks for downloading the client lol.

Anyways, cant wait to play!  Thanks for any responses!

• Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by gestalt11

Thanks for the info (and others as well!)

Great news for me, to be honest. Not so much due to the extra option to gank lowbies, but much more because of the added excitement of higher leveled bastards roaming your neighborhood.

My personal WoW pvp server anecdote; The first time I encountered a level 60 tauren warrior in WoW I nearly crapped in my pants; he was on a S&D mission to kill me and others who had been attacking lower leveled hordelings questing in Hillsbrad. Trying to avoid that big lumox while still getting an occasional kill was exhilarating gameplay for me :) And a great incentive to become big and bad myself one day.

In my opinion an mmo gets more diverse and exciting when people get to physically show their advantage in combat prowess out in the world a.k.a. the occasional gankage. PvP is almost never fair and balanced, nor is war and violence in real life.

But that comes from a free for all pvp fan ;-)

And if I am really honest I have to say that being ganked by a higher leveled player who obviously outclasses me is less frustrating and more of a cause for a sigh and a laugh then getting my ass handed to me by someone of my own level range (let alone; below my own level >_<)

In WoW a level 60 Rogue or Druid can one shot a level 5 and can do so with absolutely no chance of having you detect them.  They can then restealth in seconds.  Outside in my rank 10 PvP armor (pre-BC) I with talents could stealth faster than a lvl 5 can run.

I know i had a level 60 druid on a PvP server and I did it.

It would be purely random death for newbs

You might as well get a 20 sided dice and roll it once a minute and when you get a 1 run of a cliff and suicide.

Wanting higher levels to be around and dangerous.  Meh I guess its personal taste.  But having instant unstoppable death is just silly.

Yeah you could avoid that Warrior.

But I guarantee you.  If  it was me with my tricked out feral druid you would simply have died and there would be nothing you could do about except call another level 60.  You would never avoid me, because you could never see me and I would be faster than you.  You could run because I would one shot you.  Your firends could not kill me because I would heal through anything you tried and could easily run away.

I played in hillsbrad I know what it was like.  I played there before the SS/TM fights stopped. 

Warriors have a weakness that levels will never solve and can always be taken advantage of.  Namely you can see them.  All they can do is camp but you can avoid them.  You would never avoid certain other classes.  If they want to grief your only option is to call another level 60.

If it had been me instead of that Warrior I could have completely prevented your entire party from doing anything at all.  I could have camped you and killed you over and over until you logged or called another level 60.  And that level 60 most likely would have never found me unless it was a a hunter who knew how to use flare and given the speed of my stealth even that wouldn't work.  Plus I could solo hunters anyway.  Even then I would just wait until he left and do it to you again until you logged.

If Mythic lets level 40s into tier 1 it will be the same way.  Call a level 40 or GTFO. 

Why bother when a tier 2 is more than dangerous enough to give you not only that same feeling but also at least a remote chance of fighting back? 

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I won't be going for Open RvR because the game is not balanced for one-on-on battles, it's balanced for larger battles. When I RvR I prefer to do it with other people anyway, so I might as well just do it in the designated areas and scenarios with everyone else.

Also, I'd like to head back into the PvE starter areas now and then without having to worry about becoming a chicken.

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188

Think about this.  Imagine being Lv40 and entering a T2 or T3 zone, attemping to wtfpwn people trying to complete PQs! That will be AHELLVA lot more fun than some r337ard killing Lv1 lowbies because he sucks at high level PvP.

Trust me there is still gonna be opprotunity to gank in this game too.  ... but what if all the Lv20s and 30s gang up and kill you!  HAHA ur like a raid boss to them.  So yeah, I think there is some opprotunity to have fun with lowbies in this game without being rediculous and letting people rape/pillage Lv1 areas.

• PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502

I think core is how the game is meant to be played tbh

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

i'll be rolling on a core server, they have done the rvr right so the losers at max lvl that suck against people their own lvl won't be ganking lowbies.I like pvp but some one 50 lvls higher ganking and camping me just isn't fun.

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by PapaLazarou

TBH there's alot of open RVR action even in a core game.  I agree with you and that's why I will probably roll core as well.  The game is full of PVP.

• PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502
    Originally posted by Black_Elvis

Originally posted by PapaLazarou

TBH there's alot of open RVR action even in a core game.  I agree with you and that's why I will probably roll core as well.  The game is full of PVP.

I mean on each map there are RVR zones built seemless into the world and in Tier 4 the RVR zones run through the middle of the map and PVE on the outside. So this gives much more direction to capturing bases and puts everyone in the same spot but Open RVR would ruin this and people would just go off on their own and solo PVP.

The game is not built for solo PVP.

• GreenfeenGreenfeen Member UncommonPosts: 47

I'll be playing core. Theres only 40lvls to the game, being able to go down 1 tier thats huge. It was a big enough deal to have lvl11's with some tier2 reknown gear in tier1 to toughen up the fight. A big enough deal I did it myself at lvl11. Now throw in peeps +10lvls/skills/gear you'll never be able to enjoy the area that matches your current tier/lvl.

Sure there might be some content Ill miss but thats cool. Ill just be happy that the next character I would set up has something still fresh in the game.

I also think core will have better pvpers. Pvpers looking to have their skill as a player be the difference as compared to the real carebears who only jump forward when they have 10 lvls on the other guy.

2cents.