Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes needs a new feature: Create your powers

MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230

Let's face it: the endgame is boring. That's what got me to quit after I leveled my main superhero, The Melting Point (fire/ice blaster) to 50. Just before I quit they added the alien portals, which were interesting ... for a moment of time, but quickly got boring again.

This game has two distinctive properties that make it a really good game: the character customization and the combat.

The character customization is second to none. It's more detailed than The Sims 2 or Star Wars Galaxies. There are so many ways you can create your character it's mind-boggling. You can even create characters based off of other superheroes/supervillains. I did this to create David Dunn and Mr. Glass characters (from Unbreakable - the first being a tank with super strength/invulerability and the second a mastermind with thug minions) and for the most part they looked like the characters in the movie (although I don't think I could find a trench coat to fit David Dunn with...)

My point is, the character customization is incredible. But when I found about the limitations of the powers you could have, I was struck. Yes, I know Champions Online will release some of these restrictions, and give you more options for your powers - but I want more than what they proposed.

When I heard of the concept of City of Heroes, I knew right then and there what character I was going to make: Bubblegum Boy! He blows huge wads of bubblegum until they burst and make the enemies all sticky - slowing them down, or paralyzing them. He can also use his amazing chewing powers to wrap enemies and constrict them until they implode! I guess I should also tell you now that what I pictured was a boy that looked kind of like Ness from Earthbound. So they should add boy/girl/young huge into customizaiton.

I thought I would be able to customize my powers. You might think this would be hard, but I don't. What do powers require? 1) Graphics and 2) Statistical information.

1) The graphics would be user-created, using a robust system similar to the character customization. It would cause more lag for older computers, but screw the cheapies. They probably don't have enough money to be playing a 15 dollar a month MMORPG anyways. Everything from color, shape, special effects, size, name, ane speed of power (which would be tied into the statistical information) would be made and calculated by the player, and the icons as well would be developed by the player. For newbies or people who just don't want to spend a lot of time doing this could just use pre-made graphics made by the developers (that are already in the game).

2) Statistical information. You would be given ... say ... 100 points to allocate which can go up (by nerfing the ability) or down (by buffing the ability) and when the 100 points are spent, the statistical information of the ability is finished. To prevent people from making all finishing moves, the ability to nerf the cool-down (which would drastically increase the points) would be restricted and slowly loosened for powers only obtainable after you reach certain levels.

There would be bars that could go up, down, activate, or deactivate (buffs and nerfs of powers), taken directly from the power enhancements of the game - and as such - the power enhancements would auto-restrict themselves for the player (such as, you couldn't put accuracy improvements on a power that always works):

1) Accuracy Bar

2) Activation Acceleration

3) Confusion Duration

4) Damage

5) Defense Buff

6) Drain Endurance

7) Endurance Discount

8) Fear Duration

NA) Fly Speed - this is a general power pool set power

9) Heal

10) Hold Duration

11) Immobilize Duration

12) Intangible Duration

NA) Jump Height - this is a general power pool set power

13) Knockback

14) Recharge Reduction (with restrictions mentioned above)

15) Recovery

NA) Run Speed - this is a general power pool set power

16) Sleep Duration

17) Snare

18) Stun Duration

19) Taunt Duration

20) toHit Buff

21) toHit DeBuff

22) Cone Range Increase

23) DeBuff Defense (made this one up)

24) Range Increase

25) Resist Damage

(And anything else I missed - and the order would be different but you get the picture)

For this revamp of powers, current player's characters would be allowed a complete make-over, everything from name to powers to costumes, but at the same time keep the badges and all the other awards and stuff they earned throughout the game.

There would be an all-new beginning set-up area in the game called "The Simulation Room" which you are free to create new powers, revamp your character, and test it all out in a safe environment inside the main building in the beginning of both games. There would be a door going to the outside with a warning Once you go out of this door, you cannot enter again unless you have a Simulation Room Token the token being the new gateway to revamp your character.

So, could it be done? I know it's a little, "Second Life-ish", but I think if the development team put their heads in order they could make it easy as pie to make new powers at no expense to the creative aspect of the idea.

If they did this, it would pull me back to play the game again. But they probably never will, due to the lazinessness of developers and the fear of true innovation within gaming.

Comments

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by Mackerni

I thought I would be able to customize my powers. You might think this would be hard, but I don't. What do powers require? 1) Graphics and 2) Statistical information.
    1) The graphics would be user-created, using a robust system similar to the character customization. It would cause more lag for older computers, but screw the cheapies. They probably don't have enough money to be playing a 15 dollar a month MMORPG anyways. Everything from color, shape, special effects, size, name, ane speed of power (which would be tied into the statistical information) would be made and calculated by the player, and the icons as well would be developed by the player. For newbies or people who just don't want to spend a lot of time doing this could just use pre-made graphics made by the developers (that are already in the game).
    2) Statistical information. You would be given ... say ... 100 points to allocate which can go up (by nerfing the ability) or down (by buffing the ability) and when the 100 points are spent, the statistical information of the ability is finished. To prevent people from making all finishing moves, the ability to nerf the cool-down (which would drastically increase the points) would be restricted and slowly loosened for powers only obtainable after you reach certain levels.

Interesting idea.  It has been suggested many times.  Personally, I have no problems with the powers as they are now.  However, your suggestions on graphics changes is interesting.  Here's my problem with the whole thing though:

1. You can't just say, "screw the cheapies."  Less people that can play a game = less revenues for the company.  Ability for a ton of people to play is one of the reasons why WoW is so successful.  Inability for a ton of people to play (restrictive graphic requirements) is one of the many reasons why AoC is currently dying.  Therefore, additional graphic requirements must be tempered with the low to moderate computer spec's at the time.
    2. I extremely doubt that stat system for powers will ever see the light of day.  They tried a more skill-based system as the original idea, but scrapped that for the class-base system that is now.  The reasoning behind it was the inability to balance characters.  Yes, class-systems suck for a lot of people, but they do allow easier balancing for the devs, so they can work on other stuff more.

As I said, I have no problems with the current power system.  It works, allows for a lot of variance between characters within the same class (they usually won't have the same primary/secondary power combo, unlike a majority of other MMORPG's where each character in each class essentially has the same skills)  Granted, I think the color/graphics options for powers is viable and cool.  But, I have no complaints about the power sets as they currently are.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

But how would you balance the powers for PvE and PvP?  Especially with players creating hundreds of new powers.

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230

I promise you guys I will expand and resolve every issue you guys have and possibly could have. This is possible.

Just give me time. I'll have something posted here soon enough - along with that, I will have it pitched to the developers of City of Heroes/Villains.

• mrguy123mrguy123 Member Posts: 69

Wow. It amuses me that you think this is actually possible. What is even more amusing is that you are acting as if the developers are going to have a conference meeting with you about the idea.

• ipod80gbipod80gb Member Posts: 90

somehow i think tat all the game developers (including Cryptic) alrdy thought of these ideas

Originally posted by mrguy123

Wow. It amuses me that you think this is actually possible. What is even more amusing is that you are acting as if the developers are going to have a conference meeting with you about the idea.

One day you will see. One day, you'll ALL see. Not only am I going to college for software engineering, but I already modernized an ancient philosophical religion that will put everybody - including us - to shame.

If you don't believe me, I'll show you the papers. It was so obvious all along...

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353
    Originally posted by Vato26

Huh? Could you clarify? Wouldn't nerfing an ability make it weaker, thereby lowering the points you could allocate to it? And wouldn't buffing/debuffing happen in-game through enhancements and team/enemy powers? Also, what "cool-down" are you talking about?

Interesting idea.  It has been suggested many times.  Personally, I have no problems with the powers as they are now.  However, your suggestions on graphics changes is interesting.  Here's my problem with the whole thing though:

1. You can't just say, "screw the cheapies."  Less people that can play a game = less revenues for the company.  Ability for a ton of people to play is one of the reasons why WoW is so successful.  Inability for a ton of people to play (restrictive graphic requirements) is one of the many reasons why AoC is currently dying.  Therefore, additional graphic requirements must be tempered with the low to moderate computer spec's at the time. Speaking as one of the "cheapies," you'd definitely lose me here. I keep my subscription active, even when I don't play for a month or so. However, I choose to spend my money on other things than graphics cards. It's why I don't play Tabula Rasa. Looked like a great game, sounded fun and interesting, but my machine couldn't support the beta so I never bought it. Wouldn't want CoX to go the way of Fury.
    2. I extremely doubt that stat system for powers will ever see the light of day.  They tried a more skill-based system as the original idea, but scrapped that for the class-base system that is now.  The reasoning behind it was the inability to balance characters.  Yes, class-systems suck for a lot of people, but they do allow easier balancing for the devs, so they can work on other stuff more.

As I said, I have no problems with the current power system.  It works, allows for a lot of variance between characters within the same class (they usually won't have the same primary/secondary power combo, unlike a majority of other MMORPG's where each character in each class essentially has the same skills)  Granted, I think the color/graphics options for powers is viable and cool.  But, I have no complaints about the power sets as they currently are. Nor do I.

What Vato said.

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.

Because it will take me probably a month to heck-free my other arguments, here's my own to the "screw the cheapies".

When gameplay is suffered because the PC video game consumer will not buy a PC video console, I get pissed. Gameplay should always win out graphics. Why do you think D&D was so popular before there were computers? City of Heroes has been out for years and has been barely been touched with by new graphics. Don't you think it's time by now that, instead of improving the actual graphics, we improve the ability to control the graphics ourselves? I know that Second Life is almost always laggy, but it doesn't have to be that extreme. I always thought a game like Second Life would come about some day - just not so quickly. Hell, my favorite video game for years, Unreal Tournament, had so many user-made mods because of the programs it included in the software which allowed you to make new maps and such. You could literally make and do whatever you wanted to do in that game, if you had the programming and graphical design skills.

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

This topic is turning out just as amusing as I thought it would when first brought up 2 days ago.

One day you will see. One day, you'll ALL see.
    I believe you left out "muhahahahaha...!

Once you've got your airtight design docs in place, go pitch it to Emmert. What you describe would have to be built into the system from day 1, so Champions Online is a much better hope. And the simplified graphics there would be much easier to customize than the CoH realistic look.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Player created powersets would be a game balancing nightmare for NCSoft.

Besides, there are numerous powersets now especially with proliferation.  A Shield powerset is probably in the works as it has been ask for many times.  They'll probably add more as they see a need for it.  Willpower and Dual Blades were added because of player requests as well.

They are working on player mission creators.  I'd definately prefer that to create your own powers.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Amarsir

This topic is turning out just as amusing as I thought it would when first brought up 2 days ago.

One day you will see. One day, you'll ALL see.
    I believe you left out "muhahahahaha...!

Once you've got your airtight design docs in place, go pitch it to Emmert. What you describe would have to be built into the system from day 1, so Champions Online is a much better hope. And the simplified graphics there would be much easier to customize than the CoH realistic look.

what he said.

the powers can't be customized because of how the game was initially created.  in order to make the powers themselves customizable, they would have to remake the game from the ground up...

also to the op, um... good luck with that philosophy/religion thing.  just don't wear nike and try to beam up to the spaceship.... that doesn't turn out how you think it will turn out.

edit: after checking out the op -- give it a few years, you're still in your teens, you'll understand in a few years.  life gets a lot more complicated and not so black and white and a lot of things you thought you knew for fact... aren't.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494

Blah balh blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
     but screw the cheapies.
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah  

This was all I actually saw. Did he at any point in this thread say anything that could be considered actually intelligent? Or was it pretty much a cut and paste from some technical article he googled?

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by Wikkedbowtie

Blah balh blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
     but screw the cheapies.
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah  

This was all I actually saw. Did he at any point in this thread say anything that could be considered actually intelligent? Or was it pretty much a cut and paste from some technical article he googled?

The customization in power graphics could be a legitimate option.  Personally, I'd love to have specific areas of the body where I could have my characters shoot energy beams from (Eyes for example).  But, the only powerset that I know of currently that has that is Radiation Blasts (X-ray eyes - only 1 power in that whole set).  Seriously, it is feasible to change the placement of powers and the color/graphics of powers.  However, the change would have to be tempered with more reasonable graphics requirements so as to not "screw the cheapies."  But, as I have stated before, I'm not complaining about the powers as I think they're fine they way they are currently.  However, a change like this, if tempered with reasonable graphic requirements, would be welcome in my eyes.

I do agree, though, that the 2nd portion (customizable powers) will never work in this game.

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494

Something I don't think the op considers is that all aminations are saved on the players hard drives, not on the servers. So everytime someone created and new animation the client would be out of date and you would have to download another patch.

I've read postss about people who altered the color of their blasts and everything by messing with the pigg files on thier machines. No one else will see it the way you do, but you would get what you want.

I am not, however, condoning pigg diving!!!! Doing such things are against the EULA.

To get airtight design documents I would need to play the game again like nothing else mattered. I would have to play all the classes and level all of them to level 50 and review their powers and their strengths, weaknesses, which currently being a college student right now is impossible. Even more of an impossibility, if what you said is true and it isn't possible to implant in City of Heroes (which is bullcrap, it would just be a nightmare BIG DIFFERENCE), then I would have to ask the devs to play Champions Online and be given an extensive amount of powers or whatever to make it so it wouldn't take me forever to make my evaluation. I could do it, but I have nigh time right now to do it.

One of my pet peeves is the word impossible.

Originally posted by DrowNoble

Player created powersets would be a game balancing nightmare for NCSoft.
    Besides, there are numerous powersets now especially with proliferation.  A Shield powerset is probably in the works as it has been ask for many times.  They'll probably add more as they see a need for it.  Willpower and Dual Blades were added because of player requests as well.
    They are working on player mission creators.  I'd definately prefer that to create your own powers.

A nightmare tha would be worth it!

Well, I want a bubblegum powerset. Give me bubblegum powers so I can make my Bubblegum Boy. And allow child superheroes among with that (as he is a boy).

You don't understand the kind of impact creating your own powers could give to your character. Whenever you get tired of your character, you could do a run of a series of missions that evolve getting a token to revamp your powers again anyway you could ever dream of. It would be like the game that never ended, because there would be so many different combinations, you could be anything you'd desired.

But that doesn't mean I don't desire player mission creators. If they can pull it off right - with a huge amount of customization with an easy-to-use interface, it could be a blast. More games should go into this direction by far, but what I'm saying is, is more. Allow the players to create their own characters, their own names, their own bios, their own powers, their own story with their own story arches, while all at the same time giving players the ability to do many things. City of Heroes is boring because it only does two (well now three) things well: fighting and character customes (you can throw in crafting now, but it's nothing like Star Wars Galaxies crafting).

Originally posted by damian7

the powers can't be customized because of how the game was initially created.  in order to make the powers themselves customizable, they would have to remake the game from the ground up...
    also to the op, um... good luck with that philosophy/religion thing.  just don't wear nike and try to beam up to the spaceship.... that doesn't turn out how you think it will turn out.
    edit: after checking out the op -- give it a few years, you're still in your teens, you'll understand in a few years.  life gets a lot more complicated and not so black and white and a lot of things you thought you knew for fact... aren't.

If that's true, NCSoft could just make an entirely new game. I think I know what's going to happen...

Champions Online ---> A little power creation; new superhero game ---> A little more power creation; new superhero game ---> even a bit more power creation; another superhero game ---> What I envision is the reality of player-made customization of his own superheroes.

About my philosophical faith, you have no idea what you are talking about. I don't believe in any of that stupid dogmatic cult, scientific, or religious bullshit everybody seems to have be ringing through their tiny heads. You can't label me because there is no true definitions to who I am or what I stand for. All I can do is try to explain to you what it is I am and what I'm trying to accomplish. That, unless, you understand some very cryptic phrases: such as, my philosophical faith is that of an absolute literal omnitheist. But reading some inexperienced religious bullshit as to what a true omnitheist is, is not the real definition of it.

My generation will rule America and your generation will depend on our generation to live well when you're old. What is radical now can be the norm within a generation. If nobody has an open mind for new ideas and innovations, there will never be any progress towards sustaining a more positive future than the last generation.

Why don't YOU Google my ideas and find out yourself?

Originally posted by Vato26
    I do agree, though, that the 2nd portion (customizable powers) will never work in this game.

Oh, it's possible, but it would takes months and months of planning and months and months of testing before you get something balanced and realistic.

If they worked exclusively on my idea, I bet in around a year (or more) or so they could finally put it in. That would be worth what ... four updates? That sounds about right.

Something I don't think the op considers is that all aminations are saved on the players hard drives, not on the servers. So everytime someone created and new animation the client would be out of date and you would have to download another patch.
    I've read postss about people who altered the color of their blasts and everything by messing with the pigg files on thier machines. No one else will see it the way you do, but you would get what you want.
    I am not, however, condoning pigg diving!!!! Doing such things are against the EULA.

Animations could not be loaded like a stream of content and be stored like a website cookie for further use? (Although I'll admit they would probably have to upgrade their servers)

News to me.

I wish I was working in a video game company and had a reputation to do what I want in a video game ... I'm so sick of the standard video game.

(When I first saw Second Life, I was like, "YES! Now this is what I'm looking for." But then I saw that it's more about making money, having virtual sex, and a system that almost looks like it's designed for the LACK of content that made me want to scream)

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

Once you get out of college and into a production environment, and are given a position with responsibility for yes/no decisions, you'll get a lot more comfortable with it.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

Once you get out of college and into a production environment, and are given a position with responsibility for yes/no decisions, you'll get a lot more comfortable with it.

like i said, give him a few years to be on his own and have to live in the world... all his talk will radically change as 'da man' crushes his dreams of omnipotence.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• Plasuma!!!Plasuma!!! Member Posts: 1,872

One of my pet peeves is the occasional optimist who says "One of my pet peeves is the word impossible".

I'll just use another phrase, then. How about "It can't happen"?

Originally posted by Plasuma!!!

One of my pet peeves is the occasional optimist who says "One of my pet peeves is the word impossible".

I'll just use another phrase, then. How about "It can't happen"?

people who don't like the word 'impossible' have probably not tried anything terribly difficult in life, yet.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Personnally, I would have liked a feature to call my other heroes/villains instead of Shivans.

I understand it would have require some work, especially with how many powers are been used and the AI of the summoned support; but it could have been minimal work if you don't mind respecting it perfectly, some work if you want to make the players extremely happy, and tedious work if you want to reflect the reality of their alternates and wouldn't have make the player that happy.

Partly realist to their existing alt and SOME work would have been better in that way:  You have to select a few powers to be used (10 only?), in that order of priority...this would have made the players PLAY with the AI which wouldn't have been perfect to figure out how to best set their alternates.  Of course, some AI works would have been thinkable, or some powers simply prevented "until the AI allow it, if it evers does".

See, the idea of a feature, is to keep the players...playing.  Toying with everything.  In fact, the amount of work vs the amount of play time is relatively minimal.  Most changes and new features they bring in...these don't make the players...play.  They are all cool, cute, estethic...but not playable.  Been able to call 1 of my alternate as support NPC once a week, I would have thinked about how to adjust my alternate, perhaps play it more, perhaps rechange the order of the powers in tray 1, perhaps earns new ways to call a precise alternate more often...and so on.  If the graphics are too requiring, maybe there could only be 1 alternate on the call-duty at a moment, and if you change that, you need to zone to actually change who answer the call...or something.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren