Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria: The Rune-keeper

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

The Mines of Moria, the first expansion for Lord of the Rings Online which is currently in beta, offers many new dark places for adventurers to explore and a new class for players to use while exploring these places. Today the folks at Turbine have released detailed information on these Rune-keepers and their secrets.

Is this Magic?

A question I know some of you will be asking is "Does the Rune-keeper use magic?" The answer is a little yes, and a little no. In Tolkien's world, and in our world, ‘magic' is a term for explaining things that are not well understood. A perfect example of this is when Sam was offered to look in Galadriel's Mirror:

'And you? ' she said, turning to Sam. 'For this is what your folk would call magic. I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem also to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel.'

Rune-keepers utilize the Power of writing and of words to change small bits of the world. There are some who would call this magic, while others would call this the natural way of things.

It is worth mentioning that of the races of Middle-earth, only Elves and Dwarves have such innate Power. No Man or hobbit scribe could harness the power of runes in these ways; such talents are not part of their nature. Yet to an Elf, such things can be as natural as breathing.

Read more here.

Comments

• TheTruthToldTheTruthTold Member UncommonPosts: 107

With the Rune-Keeper, going full damage spec, replace the hunter as the single target DPS class? The question also goes the other way as well; will the minstrel still be the best healer. Would having 2 Runekeepers end up a better choice then a hunter and minstrel. Also, what of the Area of effect abilities? Are these potent, as the champion?

For me, this new class seems difficult to picture. I like the concept of a class that can heal or dps at various levels and potency, as per traited. With such a delicate balance, this class can range from a perfect addition, to an overpowering class. I look forward to this new aspect of play, and seeing the answers to my questions unfold.

• DarVashielDarVashiel Member UncommonPosts: 80

I don't post much but had to on this one. I can't wait to try The Rune-Keeper!!!

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I haven't played a Dwarf character yet. I may give it a shot as a Runekeeper.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Lazer7

With the Rune-Keeper, going full damage spec, replace the hunter as the single target DPS class? The question also goes the other way as well; will the minstrel still be the best healer. Would having 2 Runekeepers end up a better choice then a hunter and minstrel. Also, what of the Area of effect abilities? Are these potent, as the champion?
    For me, this new class seems difficult to picture. I like the concept of a class that can heal or dps at various levels and potency, as per traited. With such a delicate balance, this class can range from a perfect addition, to an overpowering class. I look forward to this new aspect of play, and seeing the answers to my questions unfold.

Yea it will be really interesting to see how the RK works out, the mecanic sounds really run and I hope that the class delivers! It will be really hard for Turbine to balance theese 2 new classes and make them fit with the old ones...

But anyway: Mines of Moria seems more and more ike the perfect expansion, keep up the good work Turbine

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

The forums at LOTRO are awash with controversy and angst (much of it pretty ludicrous, in my opinion) about how the Rune-Keeper class somehow "breaks the lore".

I say, lighten up, people. This is just a game based on novels upon which it is reasonably well based. Cut the developers some slack. People just need to chill about this issue, imo. The RK sounds like a fun class to play.

My biggest concern with this class is with its dual role. As others have mentioned, will it be a more useful class than either the hunter or the minstrel? Will groups now be saying in the LFF channel, "5/6 for quest. Need RK -- NOT a mini"? I sure hope not.

As with any hybrid class, I would hope the RK can only be a "fairly good" healer or a "fairly good" source of dps. What you give up in power you gain in flexibility. The class should function like, say, a pally or druid or shaman in WoW. In other words, it should NOT be as good at healing as a minstrel, and it should NOT dish out more dps than a hunter. If it does, I think the introduction of this class could really mess this game up.

I don't want to feel like my hunter and minstrel are now "outclassed" and upstaged, as it were, by the RK. Other than that concern, I say, bring it on, Turbine! :)

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Lazer7

Your questions, are Options, somthing MMO's have been lacking. Options are good.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by tmr819

The forums at LOTRO are awash with controversy and angst (much of it pretty ludicrous, in my opinion) about how the Rune-Keeper class somehow "breaks the lore".
    I say, lighten up, people. This is just a game based on novels upon which it is reasonably well based. Cut the developers some slack. People just need to chill about this issue, imo. The RK sounds like a fun class to play.
    My biggest concern with this class is with its dual role. As others have mentioned, will it be a more useful class than either the hunter or the minstrel? Will groups now be saying in the LFF channel, "5/6 for quest. Need RK -- NOT a mini"? I sure hope not.
    As with any hybrid class, I would hope the RK can only be a "fairly good" healer or a "fairly good" source of dps. What you give up in power you gain in flexibility. The class should function like, say, a pally or druid or shaman in WoW. In other words, it should NOT be as good at healing as a minstrel, and it should NOT dish out more dps than a hunter. If it does, I think the introduction of this class could really mess this game up.
    I don't want to feel like my hunter and minstrel are now "outclassed" and upstaged, as it were, by the RK. Other than that concern, I say, bring it on, Turbine! :)

I'm afraid I'd be one of those players who feel that it doesn't fit.

Because of games that have gone before that include everything but the kitchen sink, it seems difficult for  players to imagine why it should be a problem.

But it just doesn't fit. I'll have to join those discussions as I was dissapointed in this addtion as well but felt conflicted as I was feeling inclined to try the class.

Still doesn't fit ; )

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AOCtesterAOCtester Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 431

oh I didn't know there was healing in LOTRO....  lol

Wait - I go get my flute !!

And ... I dont remember Tolkien talking about runekeeper.... 

Lore ?

What lore ?

LOTRO is build on crappy system that is said to be following the lore.  Then the devs break it when ever they see fit.

Seriously - I tried to like LOTRO but the moral system and the music playing just made me threw up.  Will that change with runekeeper ?   Nope. 

I like many others that love the LOTR story will have to keep playing battle of middle earth to enjoy what a MMO about LTRO could have been.  And you know what.... There is MAGIC in it.  And HEALING !!

Now pick up ur flutes so I can keep ROFLING.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

No Man or hobbit scribe could harness the power of runes in these ways; such talents are not part of their nature.

Yet another example of Turbine butchering Tolkien's lore. Just like when they originally said there were no magic users in Middle Earth other than the Istari.

Little quote from Gandalf:

I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves… Men… and Orcs.

The Witch-King of Angmar - he wasn't an elf or a dwarf. And there are more examples.

I think it's fair enough that they're going to restrict the class to elves and dwarves - but they could do so without breaking lore. At the time the mmo is set in, the races of Middle Earth have withdrawn from each other a bit. So it'd be conceivable that the bulk of such lore has simply passed from memory amongst humans.

It's like they hired a cave troll to do their research...

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Two things.

1.  I am looking forward to trying out the Rune-keeper.  This is a very unique class that has a mechanic never before seen in an MMO game (that I recall).  It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

2.  It's not Turbine's fault that a class like the RK is going to be in the game, honestly, it is Tolkien Enterprises fault for letting the company butcher the lore and the world of Middle-Earth.

Edit:  LOTRO has been beyond hope for staying loyal to the lore since beta, in my opinion.  There are all kinds of things in the game that do not fit in the world of LOTR. 

Magical leaves following behind Hunters.

Summoning someone to your side using an acorn.

Summoning Ents to smash monsters.

Turning invisible.

Etc.

So I have learned to view the game as just a game set in Middle-Earth, not a virtual LOTR world.

If nothing has changed to this point, nothing is going to change in the future, no point in complaining about it.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• ItsMeAgainItsMeAgain Member Posts: 10

That is exactly what I was thinking, will this ruin the mini class.

Originally posted by green13

Well, they work for cheap.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Hey that comment on trolls was demeaning....I mean they have feelings too you know.

I am excited about the RK and will roll one right away (and lvl my 2 lvl 50's to 60)....who needs sleep anyway?

• jarishjarish Member Posts: 526

No Man or hobbit scribe could harness the power of runes in these ways; such talents are not part of their nature.
    Yet another example of Turbine butchering Tolkien's lore. Just like when they originally said there were no magic users in Middle Earth other than the Istari.
    The Witch-King of Angmar - he wasn't an elf or a dwarf. And there are more examples.
    I think it's fair enough that they're going to restrict the class to elves and dwarves - but they could do so without breaking lore. At the time the mmo is set in, the races of Middle Earth have withdrawn from each other a bit. So it'd be conceivable that the bulk of such lore has simply passed from memory amongst humans.

Men now do not have this power...the Númenóreans did back then, but those men are no longer around. When Gandalf is speaking of Men...he is talking about the Númenóreans.

Brandywine Global LFF chan "/joinchannel glff"

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Originally posted by AOCtester
    oh I didn't know there was healing in LOTRO....  lol
    Wait - I go get my flute !!
    And ... I dont remember Tolkien talking about runekeeper.... 
    Lore ?
    What lore ?
    LOTRO is build on crappy system that is said to be following the lore.  Then the devs break it when ever they see fit.
    Seriously - I tried to like LOTRO but the moral system and the music playing just made me threw up.  Will that change with runekeeper ?   Nope. 
    I like many others that love the LOTR story will have to keep playing battle of middle earth to enjoy what a MMO about LTRO could have been.  And you know what.... There is MAGIC in it.  And HEALING !!
    Now pick up ur flutes so I can keep ROFLING.

There is no healing in LotRO, it is morale. You boost the player's morale to continue to fight, it's clever and defiantly saves face to what you call lore breaking.

I'd have to say from my experiences through-out the launch and onward they have followed the lore quite well. They do care about not butchering his work, unlike what you could say SOE did to SWG's lore.

I'm looking forward to both the new classes and will be playing the RK first. This article was informative for those that didn't already dig for information on these two classes and the expansion. Otherwise it was old news just clarified.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by solareus

Minstrels are also Conjuction skill users, so they will always be a vital part of a group regardless if there is new heal class or not. Minstrels also learn the different group conjunctions and can set them up for a group so they all know what color to use.
    If you have not been in a situation where it is crucial to hit the conj, then you have not ventured into any of the more harder areas where one one miss could mean a group wipe. Death pentalty is not high , no, but nothing is worse then lieing dead after a wipe.

Hmm this is not correct... Minstrels dont have any conjucntion starters and any group leader can set up which conjucntion to do, its not tied to class!

And people, if you are going to comment on the lore, maybe you should do some reading first (LotrO is based on the BOOKS not the MOVIES btw)...  clearly the Runekeeper is a HUGE lore stretch but IMO it fits with the current game Turbine have made and with the existing classes! Looking forward to trying one :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• TheTruthToldTheTruthTold Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Papadam

Hmm this is not correct... Minstrels dont have any conjucntion starters and any group leader can set up which conjucntion to do, its not tied to class!

And people, if you are going to comment on the lore, maybe you should do some reading first (LotrO is based on the BOOKS not the MOVIES btw)...  clearly the Runekeeper is a HUGE lore stretch but IMO it fits with the current game Turbine have made and with the existing classes! Looking forward to trying one :)

There is magic in the books of Lord of the Rings. Gandalf speaks of learning it. There is also keepers of the ancient languages, much as rune-keepers are. The language held a power, such as they feared the dark language. There are many things in the books that was barely touched, that gives the Rune-Keepers justification, though the way they have done it is very thin; very stretched.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

One of the things I have appreciated in LOTRO is the way things are generally "toned down".

For example, the armors in LOTRO are not, for the most part, gaudy and ridiculous (as I think they are in WoW, frankly).

Seeing lvl 70 players in WoW running about in their ludicrous purples, festooned with giant burning skulls and glowing shoulder pads and huge razor-like protrusions every which way, always just makes me laugh. Who could actually fight in a Halloween costume like that?

In LOTRO, things look a bit more down to (Middle) Earth. Some skill animations are meant to serve as visual cues (both to yourself and other players) of what skills are being played, but these are more "hints to players" than garish displays of "magic" -- such as the ghost swords that appear when minstrels play a certain song evoking the past. But nothing -- at least thus far -- seems too "flashy" in my opinion, except perhaps the conjunctions, but perhaps those need to be flashy since they are a special event.

With the Rune-Keeper, I do hope that the animations are modest and simple, and that, as I mentioned before, this class does NOT nullify or weaken, comparatively speaking, other classes in the game. From what I have seen thus far, I'm concerned that the RK class, while interesting, may be overpowered. I am particularly concerned that my minstrel, who can also "go healing" or "go dps" (War Speech) will be but a poor runner-up to the RK. It'll be interesting to see how this class plays out.

One of the things I have appreciated in LOTRO is the way things are generally "toned down".
    For example, the armors in LOTRO are not, for the most part, gaudy and ridiculous (as I think they are in WoW, frankly).
    Seeing lvl 70 players in WoW running about in their ludicrous purples, festooned with giant burning skulls and glowing shoulder pads and huge razor-like protrusions every which way, always just makes me laugh. Who could actually fight in a Halloween costume like that?
    In LOTRO, things look a bit more down to (Middle) Earth. Some skill animations are meant to serve as visual cues (both to yourself and other players) of what skills are being played, but these are more "hints to players" than garish displays of "magic" -- such as the ghost swords that appear when minstrels play a certain song evoking the past. But nothing -- at least thus far -- seems too "flashy" in my opinion, except perhaps the conjunctions, but perhaps those need to be flashy since they are a special event.
    With the Rune-Keeper, I do hope that the animations are modest and simple, and that, as I mentioned before, this class does NOT nullify or weaken, comparatively speaking, other classes in the game. From what I have seen thus far, I'm concerned that the RK class, while interesting, may be overpowered. I am particularly concerned that my minstrel, who can also "go healing" or "go dps" (War Speech) will be but a poor runner-up to the RK. It'll be interesting to see how this class plays out.

I agree with you.

It's not a high fantasy mess. Not to say that that can't be fun. But there seems (seemed?) to be more integrity to the game, more subtle game design.

• boyobearboyobear Member Posts: 13

If you think about it, neither Gandalf or The Witch-King are Men that we know in Middle-Earth today.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I am amused at the lore whiners.  It is a game for heavens sake, enjoy it for what it is and stop your whining.  If this ruins your connection to the game then don't play, I am sure you are a very small minority.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I am amused at the lore whiners.  It is a game for heavens sake, enjoy it for what it is and stop your whining.  If this ruins your connection to the game then don't play, I am sure you are a very small minority.

Why, does it threaten you that people enjoy the idea of integrity to the source material? Or does that type of thinking not even factor into your own life?

It's ok if it doesn't, many people don't appreciate art or music or what have you on that other level. But just know that there are people who do.

edit: nevermind, looking at your post history you seem like you are striving to be a curmudgeon.

• freakworldfreakworld Member Posts: 67

it's sad that I have a founders account and just can't bring myself to play the game.

Need someone to play it for me, thats it! lol I just keep running into parts that they want you to kill 100s of mobs. I just can't stand to do that. But I am also a person that can't stand to skip something. So I just stopped....