Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Shade Of Grey: Order of Destruction is *evil*

One thing I thought was kind of interesting is that there's no shade of grey in Warhammer Online - the Order fo Destruction is really evil.  I wrote a whole Blog entry examining the evidence.

Generally speaking, MMORPG developers don't like to have truly evil sides, they go for a "shades of grey" approach because they're afraid that not enough players are going to be interested in playing the bad guys. 

So how do we explain current populations, then, where Destruction outnumbers Order on the scale of about 3:2?  Is it possible that people just haven't figured out just how evil Order of Destruction is yet, or does it not bother them?

Comments

• KillerEwokKillerEwok Member UncommonPosts: 118

Have you seen any of the warhammer stuff on the website or the 40k stuff? Destruction is pretty evil, unless sacrificing people to your demon god is what all the cool kids do nowadays

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

From what I understand about the whole Warhammer take on "Chaos Gods" is that they're actually human flaws given form.  So yeah, that's pretty evil. ;) 

If in stead by "Chaos" it was just entropy (a tendency for the universe to fall into disorder as outlined by laws of thermodynamics) then I would say they weren't particularly evil.  But, this is not the Warhammer take to chaos.

• emperorvlemperorvl Member Posts: 103

Both sides are evil.  Chaos doesn't hide it as well as "Order".  Think of it like the crusaders vs saladin.  Both sides fought a battle of "flesh and blood" for "gold n land". 

• Tuck2000Tuck2000 Member Posts: 361

Well the "Empire" does smell of old Rome. If they did not have the Chaos threat they would be ethic cleansing the Elves as Dwarves as they considered mutant races.

• pileopooppileopoop Member Posts: 91

I think the poll should be asking if people would rather play a totally evil faction, a shade of grey, or just play the good guys. You can't ask people to decide if Destruction is good or not when it is based on the Lore not peoples thoughts.

I'd say there's a difference between "having typical flaws" and being outright "evil."  The Forces of Order have typical flaws, but at least they're not destroying the universe for the sake of destroying it.

Originally posted by pileopoop

I think the poll should be asking if people would rather play a totally evil faction, a shade of grey, or just play the good guys. You can't ask people to decide if Destruction is good or not when it is based on the Lore not peoples thoughts.

That would be a good poll, but the main reason I worded it this way was just to check how many people were really aware of the lore and how many people cared.  I sort of snuck in a, "I'd play a totally evil faction" in the "I dont' care, just smash things" option.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Tuck2000

Well the "Empire" does smell of old Rome. If they did not have the Chaos threat they would be ethic cleansing the Elves as Dwarves as they considered mutant races.

Well not old Rome really the Empire is based off of the Holy Roman Empire. Technically everyone in Warhammer would be killing each other because of some dispute but Dwarves and Empire do have some form of alliance, and the elves did teach the Empire magic.

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452

"Order of Destruction"? What a weird title... So, I guess that would make the good guys the "Order of Order" then? Tee-hee! *cough*

• einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

The fact that someone who wrote an article that funny somehow managed to tolerate 1400 hours in City of Heroes almost makes me want to give the game another try.

Almost!

Good work.

einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton