Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ventrilo ugh

2»

Comments

• noggy1980noggy1980 Member Posts: 343
    Originally posted by RedwoodSap

Yeah I think promoting some servers as text chat only is a good idea.

A text only server would just encourage guilds who use voice chat to roll there as they could dominate

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

never had a problem with people and vent, im in a pretty tight guild and i know everyone, and even still when i go into other guild raids and their vent, it really isnt that bad, you just dont let little things bother you. I can live without vent, and i dont mind using it.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by noggy1980

A text only server would just encourage guilds who use voice chat to roll there as they could dominate

Well  lets see.

1. Any guild doing so would be in violation of the rules and most likey banned if caught. Which would not be that difficult to do.

2. I'll take any  good text only guild over a guild that uses Vent/TS any day of the week. Seeing as text is much more flexible and properly set up actually easier to use than voice.

Why is it everyone thinks you are sitting there typing every thing out during a raid? You don't, you have everything hotkeyed. From general raid briefings to add warnings. In the time it takes a person to say one sentence in Vent. I have briefed my entire raid, given specific instructions to several groups and we are off and going already all with a single keystroke or mouse click. 

I can have multiple ongoing conversations simultaneously and if I miss something I can just scroll up on that particular chat box to see what I missed.

Do vent/TS guilds record all their raid chat for post raid analysis? I just parse my chat logs for that days  raid and can go over them with other officers looking for things we can improve on, or what we did right .

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by rafmeister

Originally posted by noggy1980

Well  lets see.

1. Any guild doing so would be in violation of the rules and most likey banned if caught. Which would not be that difficult to do.

2. I'll take any  good text only guild over a guild that uses Vent/TS any day of the week. Seeing as text is much more flexible and properly set up actually easier to use than voice.

I don't even think the provider would have to ban the voice users.  A server transfer would suffice, or disbanding the guild.

Besides, the disadvantages outweigh the perceived advantages when a voicing guild sets up on a voice free server.  This means anything the guild does is strictly limited to the ones in the guild.  There won't be anyone to replace guild members if some quit.  If the guild disbands, there won't be any other guild to go to who use voice.  All communication with anyone outside the guild is going to have to be in text, which means it will be difficult for the voicing guild to form pick-up-groups, or add temporary help when members aren't around.

Plus, I honestly think that the ones who would benefit from voice delegated servers are the ones who use voice.  That way, they know that everyone who is on the server is ready to jump in a pick-up-group, barter in chat, and possess the prerequisites to be recruitable in their guilds.  Everyone on the server shares their prefered voice software, so there isn't any compatability issues.

The communications barriers that we have imposed on ourselves is disrupting the experience for everyone: TS, Vent, or text-only alike. 

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE