Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So we can't talk about stock price anymore?

hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

The thread I started on funcom stock falling is locked now and I have gotten a mod warning. I would like someone in charge to comment on this. We are not allowed to discuss the stock prices of game companies anymore?

Comments

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

You just have to leave the major advertisers alone.  FC does a lot of adds here, so mmorpg would not want you to insult a big revenue source.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

That won't help anyone if someone else makes a thread about stock prices. If we can no longer discuss this issue then a rule should be publicly available in the TOS. This is for everyone and not just myself.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

also what has stock prices gotta do wit mmorpg itself. gameplay wise...

its  business and if you want to discuss business go to another forum.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Originally posted by SgtFrog
    also what has stock prices gotta do wit mmorpg itself. gameplay wise...its  business and if you want to discuss business go to another forum.
    If the MMO company goes out of business then the game is over. You won't be playing ever.
  • FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

It would be very unfortunate if we were restricted from posting negative threads about studio's here due to mmorpg.com earning advertising revenues from said studios.

These days it is difficult to get information about sub numbers and so on, so as a community we often look for secondary indicators that may tell us something about the financial success of a game. Since Funcom is a publicly traded company with a large portion of its assets dedicated to AoC, its stock price provides a reasonably meaningful measure of the games true success.

The financial success of a game has implications for content addition, expansions, bug fixing, and in extreme cases server merges or even server closures. So yes I argue Developer's stock prices are relevant discussion for MMO enthusiasts.

Perhaps the thread was locked due to spam (ie you reposted the same stock info that was already on the boards)? Over the years I have found the mods here to be very fair, so I say give them the benefit of the doubt.

Originally posted by hobo9766

If the MMO company goes out of business then the game is over. You won't be playing ever.

it wont. Vanguard was in a worse situation ad its still going so no need to talk about stock prices.

its not that easy for an mmo to go down.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Yes, but many stocks have gone down. My own portfilio suffered a little hit. Truth be told they'll go back up again.

But that is the way of the stock market. You can't just point to a company's stock and say "hey, it's going down, they must be doing something wrong".

Stocks can go down when there is good news about the company.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • I would hate to see that happen, I would not like this site to become like gamespot where it seems a sponsor has it's deep pockets influence what goes on the site.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Yes, but many stocks have gone down. My own portfilio suffered a little hit. Truth be told they'll go back up again.

But that is the way of the stock market. You can't just point to a company's stock and say "hey, it's going down, they must be doing something wrong".

Stocks can go down when there is good news about the company.

yes in every business stocks are constantly goin up and down.

• Hamrtime2Hamrtime2 Member Posts: 360

it wont. Vanguard was in a worse situation ad its still going so no need to talk about stock prices.

its not that easy for an mmo to go down.

You do realise that if it wasnt for Sony that it would have gone under.  Sony bought out the company (dont remember the name) that made vanguard and Sony took it over.

AoC is going through THE SAME EXACT THING that happened to Vanguard.  One company put all its eggs in 1 basket and failed miserably. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by chillsan

I would hate to see that happen, I would not like this site to become like gamespot where it seems a sponsor has it's deep pockets influence what goes on the site.

The problem is that many players have lost sight of what these forums are for. They aren't fan forums they are private forums that are made available (free I might add) so that players can discuss games. However, it takes money to run them.

So if you want, (and I mean the "royal you") you can start your own site and have your members say whatever they want about any game.

But for a site on this level they need revenue. How do they get that? They sell advertising. And no company is going to advertise on a site where the players are hostile to their product.

To that end, if you had a product you wouldn't advertise on a site that lambasted it.

Now, you might say "but I'd use that as a wake up call to make the product better". True and good for you. However, if you can't make it better over night and you have employees to pay and rent to pay and equipment to maintain and insurance to pay and 401k's to pay into and medical etc, then you are most likely not going to be able to afford to advertise on a site that is hostile to your company.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

This was the appropriate sub forum for the thread also since age of conan is the reason for the falling of the price. Their are two views on this board we should be allowed to talk about stock prices and company finances while the other half is against it. I think we should be told what the official stance on this is. I won't post about it anymore if its against the rules but someone else may. It should be clear for everyone.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I think you have to question the motives of those who post stock information especially if they don't care for the game or company at all. They turn into flame bait threads. Sure its good to know how a company is doing but 98% of current subscribers only care about whats going on in the game. When you have 15 stock thread posts in a few week spaces from that type of person mentioned above then you have to ask where can people talk about the game itself. As I said i question the motives of those who post stock info, we don't see it in any other game from people who don't play anymore. EA's 52 week low, NCsoft laying off staff and merging etc.

The forums here I thought are not for a daily report of minute by minute stock concerns. These are not business forums.

• rangharranghar Member UncommonPosts: 145

You also need to take into account that they are in Switzerland. So you need to also base the stock price on the forex market. If you notice http://www.forex-markets.com/quotes.htm USD/CHF is currently a bid price of 1.1292. So basically 1 of their native currency is .88 cents USA. This wasn't the case earlier this year.

http://www.actionforex.com/technical-analysis/daily-forex-technicals/chart-of-the-day:-usd%10chf-2008091159721/ Will show you that the CHF did actually pass the US dollar at an earlier date, which would have increased value of stock in a foreign company. The support was hit and the currency is rebounding to the resistance point. You have to take intramarket data into consideration. Funcom's EBIT(earnings before interest and tax) Is lower than quarter 2 of last year. That will also cause the price to go down. Revenue has increased, but operating costs increased with it. If you read the financial data 800,000 copies of AOC were sold, but as of august 14 only have 415,000 customers. The stock will be lower because of the loss that they have taken due to launching a new mmo. Provided exchange between USD/CHF remains at current rate the funcom stock will rebound and increase in the following year. They have a good source of revenue and can cut operating costs pretty easy. I wouldn't worry about their stock, it will do fine.

Ranghar LoD
    Lords of Death

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Hamrtime2

You do realise that if it wasnt for Sony that it would have gone under.  Sony bought out the company (dont remember the name) that made vanguard and Sony took it over.
    AoC is going through THE SAME EXACT THING that happened to Vanguard.  One company put all its eggs in 1 basket and failed miserably. 

Sigil. Vanguard was it's only product. Funcom is a medium sized  corporation with several sources of income and two other MMOs in production. It's not the same situation at all.

I have one question for yah and one question only. 

Do you think Funcom stock would be where it is if AoC was a success?

The proof is in the pudding.  The numbers dont lie.  This is why the people (myself being one of them) who feel a bit betrayed by the lies of funcom get such a kick out of the price go lower and lower.

• Originally posted by Sovrath

I would hate to see that happen, I would not like this site to become like gamespot where it seems a sponsor has it's deep pockets influence what goes on the site.

The problem is that many players have lost sight of what these forums are for. They aren't fan forums they are private forums that are made available (free I might add) so that players can discuss games. However, it takes money to run them.

So if you want, (and I mean the "royal you") you can start your own site and have your members say whatever they want about any game.

But for a site on this level they need revenue. How do they get that? They sell advertising. And no company is going to advertise on a site where the players are hostile to their product.

To that end, if you had a product you wouldn't advertise on a site that lambasted it.

Now, you might say "but I'd use that as a wake up call to make the product better". True and good for you. However, if you can't make it better over night and you have employees to pay and rent to pay and equipment to maintain and insurance to pay and 401k's to pay into and medical etc, then you are most likely not going to be able to afford to advertise on a site that is hostile to your company.

You stated the obvious but still, this site shouldn't become like the aformentioned. Otherwise people do go to sites where they can discuss things in anyway they wish. That in turn means less visits, which means less revenue. A stock discussion is relevant to a game discussion in that said company is involved in game business. I agree that some posters get outta hand, but what I saw is they kept it in one thread and sorta just want to make themselves feel better about a company they are not happy with. It helps people vent their anger for what they perceive has been done wrong to them in some way. High powered stock brokers are not trolling these threads causing havoc and selloffs, most people who buy and sell make decisions based on financials, these are just gamers wishing to vent and come to place they feel comfortable. If they went and started plastering stock prices on every thread and hijacking other threads then I could the problem.

Hey Avery...How many posts on this site do you report as spam every day?  I bet its 20-30.

Sigil. Vanguard was it's only product. Funcom is a medium sized  corporation with several sources of income and two other MMOs in production. It's not the same situation at all.

The proof is in the pudding.  The numbers dont lie.  This is why the people (myself being one of them) who feel a bit betrayed by the lies of funcom get such a kick out of the price go lower and lower.

I really want to know what all you people base your information on. Read their Q2 2008 financial report and you will see funcom is in no trouble at all

EDIT: and for the record I don't play AOC. I don't like the game. I am not a "fanboi" of it. I think it was a subpar product...but as you say 'the numbers don't lie' so I would read the report and understand how foreign stock works before starting some arguement.

Ranghar LoD
    Lords of Death

• Originally posted by AmazingAvery

When you have 15 stock thread posts in a few week spaces from that type of person mentioned above then you have to ask where can people talk about the game itself.
    The forums here I thought are not for a daily report of minute by minute stock concerns. These are not business forums.

I edited your post a bit of it for brevity, but I think you do have a point. If they are making tons of threads about stock prices it's bad. Perhaps there should one STICKY at the top for stock price discussion so people can actually talk about the game without a large flood of those stock threads. Keep it in one, sounds good.

• SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952

The dropping stock prices and the endless amount of posts at the main forums about people playing on dead servers is enough for me. To have your companies stock go to an all-time low, 4 months after releasing your big budget game, is not a good thing by any means.

People can try and spin it any way they want, "Oh the economy is bad right now" "All stocks are dropping" blah blah blah. But the truth is that some companies are doing just fine right now.

Originally posted by ranghar

I really want to know what all you people base your information on. Read their Q2 2008 financial report and you will see funcom is in no trouble at all

Funny thing is...THEY STILL LOST MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF BORROWED MONEY.  You can sugarcoat it all you want but they are in big big trouble.  Wait till Q3 when they say they only have 50k subs left and are in debt more then they were at Q2.

It would be higher. Obviously. If you'd take the time to actually learn about stocks though you would know The only trouble Funcom is in from lowered stock price is the possibility of a hostile takeover by another company to aquire their properties. They're not going broke.

Agreed. I tried to break it down on page 2, but I am sure it was pointless =/

Ranghar LoD
    Lords of Death

Originally posted by ranghar

It would be higher. Obviously. If you'd take the time to actually learn about stocks though you would know The only trouble Funcom is in from lowered stock price is the possibility of a hostile takeover by another company to aquire their properties. They're not going broke.

Agreed. I tried to break it down on page 2, but I am sure it was pointless =/

WOW...all ive got to say is wow!

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

When you have 15 stock thread posts in a few week spaces from that type of person mentioned above then you have to ask where can people talk about the game itself.

I edited your post a bit of it for brevity, but I think you do have a point. If they are making tons of threads about stock prices it's bad. Perhaps there should one STICKY at the top for stock price discussion so people can actually talk about the game without a large flood of those stock threads. Keep it in one, sounds good.

I can raise my hand and agree with that. There are people who think they are experts getting a kick out of something that they perceive as bad. Whether it is or it isn't the motives of those, some of which have already entertained in this thread are there. Its not about the game anymore or the stock, it's about the hating, and that leads to flame fests. Having the freedom to express opinion is great, containing that in one place free up the space for the current in game chat, which I bet/assume is why most people who subscribe read these boards. If you notice the stock posts are made by people to "Gloat".

Funny thing is...THEY STILL LOST MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF BORROWED MONEY. You can sugarcoat it all you want but they are in big big trouble. Wait till Q3 when they say they only have 50k subs left and are in debt more then they were at Q2.

No part of that is true. AoC was revenue neutral. It paid for itself. Anything it earns from here on out is income.

Youre gonna make me bust out the public info on Funcom arent yah.