Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: A Fan's In-Depth Look

2»

Comments

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by InTheSea

Another WoW clone, no thanks.
    Also, this game has very little western support.

Sorry not a WOW clone. It has a real death penalty (experience loss) That all by itself makes it not a  WOW clone. I have actually played the game and although I had limited play time I really enjoyed myself in an MMORPG for the first time in a long time.

• GenjimaruGenjimaru Member Posts: 6

Yeah Aion really is a great game, been keeping up on it for months now.  The first thing that got me interested in it was its superb graphics which makes me think of a sort of dream realm.  After then on, I started to learn more and more about the game.  Some of the things that also impress me are the Abyss ;p, a huge mass pvpve zone hehe, massive castle wars and all that o.o.  Tbh there are just too many things to list about the game xD, it's just plain amazing ^^

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by knite16

Originally posted by angelsfang

Out of all those things you listed, only the combo system sounds remotely interesting.  Mission cutscenes..... wooow, feels like I'm playing a console.  Wait, why don't I just go and do that, seeing as console games like 360 and PS3 not only have cutscenes but an immersive storyline and professional voiceovers, even short movies.   I don't like games being labeled WoW clones too easily either but this time they themselves admitted it and on many occasions compared themselves to WoW, like when they were asked about the grind, they said it will be just like WoW (and unlike most korean grinds).  Aion has modeled itself using WoW there is no denying this.  Not that that's a bad thing, but don't expect some revolution.

RPGs on consoles used to be renown for their story (and cutscenes).  But not only that, it was something you had to follow.  You'd read the dialogue, read what the townspeople had to say, and you'd know the story.  The unfortunate thing with MMO players is many click through quests and story lines and just follow the *Go to point A and kill Mob B* bullet notes.  The cutscenes help tell the story for those who don't want to read it.  And there will be professional voice-overs.  The cutscenes especially will have them as well as some quests, but this is one of the last things NC North America will be hiring for due to the still rapidly changing client.

And on the WoW clone issue, I do agree with you that Aion was influenced by WoW. What isn't these days?  It's been stated before that Aion won't be a complete re-invention of the MMO world.  It will be very familiar to veteran MMO players from Day 1, but that doesn't mean it can't take those mechanics and make them shine where they once lacked.

I agree. I was going to comment on the fact that cutscenes help to move the story along. Even Final Fantasy XI (or whatever the mmo is numbered) uses them.

There is nothing wrong with utilizing devices that work in other types of games.

Just because a game is a MMO doesn't meant that it has to be limited to players controlling avatars and clicking dialogue boxes on and off.

Also I don't think they are doing anything revolutionary but they pretty much know that. This is not a bad thing. Just give me a solid game that I can get behind and I'm there.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

I completely agree, the graphics suck, big time. Well... not all the graphics, they are getting the look of the surrounding trees right... but combat, animations, OMG !!

Cutscenes was presented in Turbines games a looong time ago, and its in AoC as well. ITs a good thing, it does add to the immersiveness and I hope Aion's will as well.

Aion's flight thing, is a good idea, a completetly this-had-to-come-sooner-or-later, but still a good idea.

• mac579mac579 Member Posts: 34

I think that this game has all of the ingredients to be a winner. Again nothing super revolutionary but still very solid. I am totally psyched for this game!!!

Playing Guild Wars (all games in franchise but mainly GWEN and Nightfall) and WoW (just returned to this great game).

Eagerly awaiting Aion, Guild Wars 2 and Wrath of the Lich King.

Have also played CoV/CoH

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Ok I have to ask.

Nomnomnom is that a mouse eating that boccoli?  If it isn't, what is it?

Venge Sunsoar

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Personally, I think NCSoft (as much as I hate their csr's, I can't fault them this time) is doing something right with Aion. First you have sort of pseudo Lineage 2 2.0 graphics. That has always been a major selling point for that particular game. And the upgrades being shown around the net,  have kept that visual seduction.

Next you have some of Wow's basic mechanics mixed in, which should aleviate the grinde that people are worried about. PVE content looks amazing from what I have seen so far in reports and videos.

And and based on some reports, you get the equivalent of a flight fps pvpve. Now I don't think it will be necessarily twitch mechanics, but you can still seem to use most skills while moving/flying.

I think the melee ppl will have to watch out, because the casters/ rangers will be coming in like a squad of pigeons!  

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Kainis

I think the melee ppl will have to watch out, because the casters/ rangers will be coming in like a squad of pigeons!  

LOL... love this line.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Ok I have to ask.
    Nomnomnom is that a mouse eating that boccoli?  If it isn't, what is it?
    Venge Sunsoar

I think it's a miniature hamster, I had two of them when I was little, they're very cute :)

To people insinuating this game brings nothing new, well duh. No one said it would either. ^_^   And this is okay but there isn't one MMO out there at the moment that has had the right magic to a lot of people's attention for very long. I feel very starved for an immersive world, it doesn't matter if the mechanics are not different as long as they work well and aren't bugged to heck. I'll be so darn happy.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• knite16knite16 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Kainis

To "Flight of the Valkyries"  I can see it now! 

Some classes will have abilities that kill flight.  I know Spirit Masters have one and Templars have a "pull" move that brings enemies to them like hate would, only it works against players too, not just NPC (one downside of most hate mechanics).  Whether that works on flying opponents or not, we'll see.  Probably if they're close enough.

Templar Trick

Knite - Administrator, AionSource.com

• DawnJWDawnJW Member Posts: 108

About Aionsource, it´s a great Site. But the Administrator... Too bad.

Originally posted by DawnJW

But the Administrator... Too bad.

Says admin of the site that completely copied, word for word, AionSource's layout.

Says admin of the site that completely copied, word for word, AionSource's layout.

Looked my Site? It isn't the same..., what kind of stranger are you in this Forums who says that im copy things from AionSource.com...

• CrystallisCrystallis Member Posts: 5

Thanks for the thread. Its a great read to introduce others about a amazing upcoming game.

Looked my Site? It isn't the same..., what kind of stranger are you in this Forums who says that im copy things from AionSource.com...

Yeah, I did.  You changed it when AionSource found out you copied them and the members started on you.

Even the descriptions of the forums were 100% identical.  But, what's done is done.  Just don't flame an admin when you yourself have been less than perfect.

And isn't that Mark's avatar too?

*runs away*  

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

I stop this discussion, you guys don´t get it. mark has copied the things not and me not, the Theme and all things he has on his Forum is Free, it´s a standard layout. And You know I´m the first with this kind of Avatar. But to provide complaints i´m gonna change it and design a new one. Have a nice day.

Cheers,

Dawn

• The.DreamerThe.Dreamer Member Posts: 14

Poor Dawn. His envy towards Mark has consumed him to the point that his feeble mind has become delusional due the the over burdening  stress he has caused himself. Tsk, tsk.

Ever heard of being friendly? to somebody who helps other Players, ahve a own Legion, is Web designer and Game designer? Do you know what you're? A noob, you're at other Sites 14 years old and on this site you said 28. Why did do that, happily you live inthe USA and not in the EU so i'm not seeing you online at Aion.

Cheers,

Dawn

You fail to see that you lose all credibility the second you attack Mark. End of story, have a personal conflict against the guy whatever, not of our business just shut up about it.. Make your own site and try to build your own community and have fun with that, however blatantly ripping off his layout, avatar and nickname ( I mean what the hell is that about?), while taking any opportunity to defame him as admin of aionsource is highly unprofessional and childish.

If you would just quit with the aionsource's admin sucks comments and go on with your life none of us would bother calling you on what you've done in the past.. Well most of us I'd wager.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226

"Deflame" is mighty close to "deflower", Cynthe. D:

Anyhow, let's let it die. AionSource.com rocks, at least he admitted that. ;)

• VPellenVPellen Member Posts: 215

Keep personal conflicts to a minimum, please. If you want to take potshots at somebody on the forums, go invite them to play a game of Gunbound with you.

• HendoraHendora Member Posts: 34

Aw, dang this game sounds like fun. Watched some (alot) videos on UTube and it really look exactly as i want an MMO to look like. The design and feeling of Lineage II and with the easy-going playstyle of WoW along with the storys.

Can't wait!

Originally posted by Hendora

Aw, dang this game sounds like fun. Watched some (alot) videos on UTube and it really look exactly as i want an MMO to look like. The design and feeling of Lineage II and with the easy-going playstyle of WoW along with the storys.
    Can't wait!

It's almsot a dream of everyone, a mix of L2 and WoW. That's why I was interested in the beginning too, after doing much research I found more nice things about Aion.