Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Inviting Players Back!

2»

Comments

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

"Fion is such an optimist."

Very true.. I'm an optimist in all things. That and I'm not even close to as jaded as some poeple in this genre are, even though I've been playing within it for 7 odd years now. Also I see a very different game in SWG then a lot of people seem to. I've never been the type that enjoyed 100% combatant focused games like EQ or DAoC, FFXI or L2. I play MMOG's that offer a wide variety of activities, push the genre or try to bring something new to it. SWG is more what I look for in a MMORPG then any other game I've played in the genre (I've beta-tested just about every major MMORPG released since AO, including WoW, which doesn't impress me) since UO or old school AO.

ALso how exactly could the expansion be a diversion? It's not like 6 months ago the devs just up and said to themselves 'ok the ground combatant game isn't going like we'd prefer, so lets make space to get peoples mind off it.' It's something thats been in developement since before the game came out. Hell they had many of the details done a year before the game released. JtLS isn't a diversion, it's one of the most important parts of Star Wars.. and it's gonna be hella-fun, trust me :)

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

I am not saying that they created JTL as a diversion. What I am saying is it has become a diversionary tactic that the devs use now as an excuse to why they don't fix the ground game.

gamer: "hey wheres the combat rebalance?"

SOE: "we are too busy with JTL. we will get to it later."

gamer: "uhh ok what about the jedi overpopulation?"

SOE: "we are too busy with JTL. we will deal with it later."

gamer: "I don't plan on buying JTL. When is the ground game going to be fixed"

SOE: "we are sorry we cant help you with that. Buy JTL it is going to work we promise"

gamer: "But I don't want a space sim I want to play star wars."

SOE: "Star wars??? I'm sorry we are not familiar with that title."

gamer: OMG f**k it I'm canceling.

They have lost a lot of players due to bad decisions and are counting on JTL to save their asses.

ROLEPLAYERS UNITE!!!!!

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

Hmmm chances are slim to none I'd go back so..................Nope. Its just awful lol.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The 500K number is definitely a huge joke. 500,000 subscribers. We would all assume that subscibers was paying customers, but it's clear that is NOT the case. So, what could they mean? Most likely, 500,000 subscribers to the SWG fanclub, you know, the thing you need to join when you add a game to your SOE account?

Sage of Ryzom pulled the same thing, quoting beta subscriber nembers that were grossly exhagerated vs. the actual active beta tester base.

Just sick, slick advertising gimmicks.

I beta tested SWG and played the first three months before getting bored and noticing most of my guildmates and almost every one on my large friends list were gone. I received an invite to come back and check it out again a few months ago (similar offer to this, not sure if it was former players, or former beta testers). It only took a few days of play and reading the forums to see that little had improved.

Just further proof of something I made a point of near the end of Beta. There are certain things that NEED to be fixed before goiung live, because they are much harder to fix in the live environment. Development progress generally slows to about a tenth what could be achieved during beta. Somethimes, a few extra months of beta could accomplish more that the live team will achieve in a year or two.

If I get totally bored with testing RYL, which may happen soon, and a beta invite to EQ2 or WoW still hasn't popped up, I might try the return offer just to kill some time, but I'm not expecting much.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

AH so since you betatested and played for the first 3 months (and not since) you know more about the current state of the game, it's players and subscribers better then I do, someone who's been playing since Beta2.

Get off the ego trip.

• dabrydabry Member Posts: 2

For those of you guessing how many subscribers SWG has, Sir Bruce puts the numbers at about 250k.
    http://pw1.netcom.com/~sirbruce/Subscriptions.html

His method isn't perfect, but it works for most games. :)

• XanderZaneXanderZane Member Posts: 226

Originally posted by fatgato

Guess the mass exodus from the game has now got them to have to resort to bribing people :) .  

Exactly!! You know a game is starting to make a turn for the worse when the developers start begging people who left to come back and try the game with some minor improvements. I'm glad I passed on SWG. I had a few people who were playing asking me to join in, but I went with FFXI instead. Maybe not the best choice, but at least FFXI wasn't anywhere as buggy as SWG.

Xander

Xander

• XanderZaneXanderZane Member Posts: 226

Originally posted by Auggie

Originally posted by Fion

"Then all the other posts from other players that cancelled due to the stupid 10.3 patch"
    You mean the vibility bug? guess what.. it was fixed today. DAYS AFTER it was bugged. Patience poeple have a little stinking patience.
    A mass exodus is like AO's 12.6 patch where almost 50% of the poeple playing quite. 130 odd people is NOT a mass exodus when there are 500'000 people playing the game lol. I'm sure a lot of people canceled there accounts, especially Jedi. Serious pain in the ass. But it's fixed now.
    I swear some people get SO worked up about these games. You'd think it was real life.

Where you pulling these numbers from ? 500k subscribers I highly doubt that, more like 100k. See I can make up some numbers too image 

Seriously, SWG has been the most bug filled game I ever had the misfortune of playing, and their CS is the worse in the industry.  They just delete your CS tickets.

He might have been thinking of FFXI which is now close to 600,000 subscribers worldwide. I think SWG made it over 300,000 at one point, but they are no where near that populos now. Most likely between 100K-200K now.

Xander

Xander