Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review: Meh.

1235»

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Do yourself a favor and buy the game and at least play the 1st month. Get to the tier 4 world PvP, city seiges and PvE content.

I think you will be pleasantly suprised just how much fun the end game is.

I have been in beta for almost a year and have helped them test the endgame content.  It is a totally different experience than the early levels and I would be willing to bet most people's opinion would at least change some after playing tier 4.

The game has problems, it's not perfect nor is it gonna be a game everyone enjoys. Just don't judge it too harshly from the beginner experience.

• archer75archer75 Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Why aren't the graphics fully in yet?  I've heard this echoed a few times and must admit I don't know what people are talking about.

Is the open beta a low res version of the game? 

Graphics are essentially set to medium. The latest patch on the elder server has put in a slider for caching textures and that improves it alot. And if you force AA and AF in your video card drivers it also makes it look great.

Tribes 2 is back!!!! http://www.tribesnext.com/
    And from the makers of tribes: Fallen Empire: Legions http://www.instantaction.com/

• AvathosAvathos Member UncommonPosts: 155

To the OP:

One thing that you have to take into consideration is that WAR is new kid of the block and you basically want the quality and combat depth of WoW  and EQ-2 (which I played both) which have been in the market for like 4 years now. Both of those games have gone through extensive patching.

Regarding the scenarios you are correct.. there is Nothernwatch which equals AV. However, I have been testing the game for while (ahem... ELDER) and can tell you that there are more variations of the scenario system.

What I like from WAR is that from level 1 i can PvP and RvR. From day one you have masteries, talents and other stuff that other MMOs have introduced in expansions.

I dont have to grind for days arena points or raid for 4 hours every night  just to get 1 or if I am lucky 2 pieces of uber gear a week.

Final note to the exception of one class (IMO Dok) all other classes are very ver balanced. Not many MMOs can claim this one on release.

So cancel your pre-order.....sit down and enjoy looking youtube videos of WotLK.

• BroGamingPageBroGamingPage Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by archer75

Why aren't the graphics fully in yet?  I've heard this echoed a few times and must admit I don't know what people are talking about.

Graphics are essentially set to medium. The latest patch on the elder server has put in a slider for caching textures and that improves it alot. And if you force AA and AF in your video card drivers it also makes it look great.

Can you please tell me how to do this. I didn't see it in my nvidia control panel.

• Gios30Gios30 Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Avathos

To the OP:
    One thing that you have to take into consideration is that WAR is new kid of the block and you basically want the quality and combat depth of WoW  and EQ-2 (which I played both) which have been in the market for like 4 years now. Both of those games have gone through extensive patching.
    Regarding the scenarios you are correct.. there is Nothernwatch which equals AV. However, I have been testing the game for while (ahem... ELDER) and can tell you that there are more variations of the scenario system.
    What I like from WAR is that from level 1 i can PvP and RvR. From day one you have masteries, talents and other stuff that other MMOs have introduced in expansions.
    I dont have to grind for days arena points or raid for 4 hours every night  just to get 1 or if I am lucky 2 pieces of uber gear a week.
    Final note to the exception of one class (IMO Dok) all other classes are very ver balanced. Not many MMOs can claim this one on release.
    So cancel your pre-order.....sit down and enjoy looking youtube videos of WotLK.

Doom 3 should not be as good as Doom. Doom has been out for like 10 years and had lots of patches.

Is that what your trying to say??

Originally posted by xfrozenx

Can you please tell me how to do this. I didn't see it in my nvidia control panel.

The settings are there. However I have an ATI card so I can't tell you where to find those settings for Nvidia.

And from the makers of tribes: Fallen Empire: Legions http://www.instantaction.com/

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by xfrozenx
    Originally posted by Daffid011 Why aren't the graphics fully in yet?  I've heard this echoed a few times and must admit I don't know what people are talking about.

Right click your desktop, select nvidia control panel. Go to program setting tab, click on add and browse to your war.exe icon and click on that. Then change whatever settings you want and when you load the game those are the settings it will load with.

Anything listed as application-controlled is likely being defaulted to lower settings by the game right now.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

What I read was not bad but it could aswell have been a review of a single player game, not once did I see anything that has to do with the game being a MMORPG, sure a little talk about RVR,

Did you group?, are you perhaps already guilded? if so how did things turn out then? since I feel the game is very group oriented I was missing lots of details for that.

Anyway I just wish people either waited till a game was more evolved before making a review, or I hope people start making reviews of a MMORPG that speaks about things we can do in a MMORPG, instead of describing a game just like it's a single player game.

No comment on how it was written cause it was a good read, just it was missing lots of things to make it a MMORPG review in my opinion.

Sorry for the rest of my little rant

Originally posted by rafmeister

I would call PvE new and innovative. The public quests alone prove that. And how everything is integrated into a great storyline with the tome of knowledge. How PvE affects PvP and realm control. I don't know of a game that has better or more meaningful PvE.

There is nothing inovative about the PQ's. They are simply open raids initiated by the game instead of  players. And if you play off hours you can forget about completing most of them unless you have a regular group to group with.

As for RVR  scenarios not being like wow bg's... well both the tier 1 and 2 scenarios are. The tier 2 scenario  I have seen is Warsong Gulch just  a bit bigger and lots of window dressing on top.

Someone commented earlier that well are not all these games button mashers... well yes at a fundamental level they all are, but there are lots of things you can do to liven things up none of which as far as I can tell are present in the game. You can limit the number of skills you can have availble to use at one time thus forcing you to pick and choose your skill set for the area you are fighting in. You can make mobs resitant to different types of attacks.  While all of that is just more button mashing, it makes you have to actually think about what you are doing in combat. You can try the AOC route. That combat was actually fairly enjoyable, it just wasn't interfaced very well and the rest of the game wasn't much to speak of.

The OP pretty much pegged it on the nose. I pre-orderd myself and willl probably not play much beyond the first month or two as I don't see anything here  to keep me interested for more than a month or so.

I really wish I could find a cure for the munchkinism that  seems to have infrected all the game developers.

I would call the PQ's innovative because no other game has them. Not a single one. You may say it's like this or that, but it's not that. They are great and work well.

You can say the scenerios represent WoW BG's but I don't see it. One side of warsong is exactly the same as the other with different colors. Exactly. Same with EOTS. AB offers some variation in that the lumbermill is up high and the mine is down low. Obviously AV is different but that's also blizzards most hated BG.

Still I have 10x more run in Warhammer scenerios. And there are alot more with more variation as one levels.

Essentially all of these games are button mashers. Anything you play will button or click mashing when you really get down to it. It's all using what you have in the best manner to defeat a given class and counter their sets of abilities.  Button mashing doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I did a PQ last night on the elder server. I soloed it until the last boss which I couldn't take down. However I got a ton of influence and got myself some gear. So it's not a bad deal at all.

• reggiereggie Member Posts: 138

About combat or/and classes in warhammer. Yeh i also always thought animations and sound or at least some spectacular acknowledgement of you hitting or casting fireballs is whats missing in warhammer. Things are to subtle when it comes to animations however animations really are not bad at all though. For some classes the skills can just be alot alike the other skills you have and therefor be hard to distinguish.

I do think they need to work on sounds still to make skills distinguish more and be more spectacular.

However............

The classes in warhammer are really really well done. You have to get used to it for a while since you probably are spoilled by flashy graphics and kick ass sounds from other games so that makes it seem dull in comparison.

What makes the classes so cool are is that they arent button smashing at all like in other games. They need you to LEARN when and where to use each skill and once you take the time to learn your class you will see how well the classes and their skills are made. If you do not take the time to understand the skills and how to play your class with those skills you will not see what warhammer has to offer for you. Contrary to some posts i see which say its just button smashing its not like that at all.  If you play the game like you would wow, or most other mmorpgs for that matter,  then you dont understand anything of how to play your class in warhammer but you need to take the time to discover this. The more skills you get the more you will see the tactical choices you'll have to make.

Sure you'll use basic skills repeatedly and also this depends on your class but the skills are made so you can be an excellent player in pvp if you understand what the skills are for. In pve many of the skills will probably not show but in pvp they will and should.

Also many skills in warhammer are from the side, the back etc etc unlike other mmorpgs where you can just button smash and unload all skills from any angle and repeat till your target is dead. Warhammer skills are very tactical but you need to learn to see the values of the skills. Also weapon speed plays a role which is also a reason for why the combat is as it. I love this feature. Slow weapon and hard hits or faster weapon and less hard hits.

Not to mention that before lvl 10 you hardly even scratch the surface of char development. Later you get skills through masteries, you get a whole lot of tactics to choose from, morales to choose from. All of this will give totally different playstyles to your class and each with their own benefits.

You should also know that even though there's loads of pve in warhammer that most skills are tailored for pvp which is why you realy need to learn your skills and how to play your class well and to do this you need to pvp alot because thats where the classes/skills will come to their own. That plus be patient.

As an example. This open beta i tried the engineer. After playing the bright wizard i thought damn this class sux since the damage is subpar and the turret is mehh. Now im lvl 10 and i learned to apreciate the damage my engineer does which is actually pretty high just it comes in lower values but more values more rapidly so you dont notice at first how good his dps actually is.Plus i got new skills and more and more am i starting to love my engineer coz the skills that i thought were meh at first now showed me their true value, through learning in pvp, and when and where to use them in pvp and now i think the engineer rock and will continue to rock more each few lvls i gain. Engineer is a toolman with good survivability if played well and on top of that really good dps.

Originally posted by Gios30

To the OP:

Doom 3 should not be as good as Doom. Doom has been out for like 10 years and had lots of patches.

Is that what your trying to say??

There we go 2 minutes wasted...

Doom 3 and Doom belong to the same company. You cant compare a new introduced game against one that has been released for over 4 years. To make a fair comparison, compare WAR vs WoW_RELEASE or EQ-2 release.

Anyway, there alwasy two options; PLAY the game or NOT-PLAY the game.

Great work Reggie

• madstoogmadstoog Member Posts: 132

OP compared war to wow, thats not a review. end.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I agree with most of the OP's points.  Game just isn't doing it for me.  And the graphics and animation (more the latter) are a big turn off to me.  When I make my toon run, it looks like he/she has a rod shoved up it's arse.

All my RL MMO friends...we all tend to play differently...one plays DDO, the other SWG, the other Vanguard, etc..(varying tastes I guess), however we all tend to agree that WAR just isn't any good.  I don't discount the ones who genuinely like it.  But, on this title, at least, there seems to be a very strong divide amongst those who like and those who don't.  Only people I have found that like it seem to be on the internet.

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by rafmeister

I would call PvE new and innovative. The public quests alone prove that. And how everything is integrated into a great storyline with the tome of knowledge. How PvE affects PvP and realm control. I don't know of a game that has better or more meaningful PvE.

There is nothing inovative about the PQ's. They are simply open raids initiated by the game instead of  players. And if you play off hours you can forget about completing most of them unless you have a regular group to group with.

As for RVR  scenarios not being like wow bg's... well both the tier 1 and 2 scenarios are. The tier 2 scenario  I have seen is Warsong Gulch just  a bit bigger and lots of window dressing on top.

Someone commented earlier that well are not all these games button mashers... well yes at a fundamental level they all are, but there are lots of things you can do to liven things up none of which as far as I can tell are present in the game. You can limit the number of skills you can have availble to use at one time thus forcing you to pick and choose your skill set for the area you are fighting in. You can make mobs resitant to different types of attacks.  While all of that is just more button mashing, it makes you have to actually think about what you are doing in combat. You can try the AOC route. That combat was actually fairly enjoyable, it just wasn't interfaced very well and the rest of the game wasn't much to speak of.

The OP pretty much pegged it on the nose. I pre-orderd myself and willl probably not play much beyond the first month or two as I don't see anything here  to keep me interested for more than a month or so.

I really wish I could find a cure for the munchkinism that  seems to have infrected all the game developers.

I would call the PQ's innovative because no other game has them. Not a single one. You may say it's like this or that, but it's not that. They are great and work well.

You can say the scenerios represent WoW BG's but I don't see it. One side of warsong is exactly the same as the other with different colors. Exactly. Same with EOTS. AB offers some variation in that the lumbermill is up high and the mine is down low. Obviously AV is different but that's also blizzards most hated BG.

Still I have 10x more run in Warhammer scenerios. And there are alot more with more variation as one levels.

Essentially all of these games are button mashers. Anything you play will button or click mashing when you really get down to it. It's all using what you have in the best manner to defeat a given class and counter their sets of abilities.  Button mashing doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I did a PQ last night on the elder server. I soloed it until the last boss which I couldn't take down. However I got a ton of influence and got myself some gear. So it's not a bad deal at all.

Sorry its just an open raid nothing more nothing less. I suppose you could call the lack of choice about participating innovative, but thats about it.  As to getting influence and the resultant gear?   So what, I don't play these games just for the shinnies. Not being able to complete the PQ by defeating the boss takes a big chunk of the fun out of it. Been there an done that soloed all the way to the boss fight. Not my idea of fun. Two of the three times I actually qualified for loot I was not even there for the PQ but working on some other  quest both times I had no clue where the chest was going to pop up at the end and so missed out on whatever reward I was supposed to get.  If I want to play a solo game I perfer single player RPG's.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Doom 3 and Doom belong to the same company. You cant compare a new introduced game against one that has been released for over 4 years. To make a fair comparison, compare WAR vs WoW_RELEASE or EQ-2 release.

Actually the only comparison that really matters is how each game is today.   Since Warhammer is competing for todays subscription dollar against todays MMOs, it doesn't matter much what other games were like many years ago. 

Comparisons by release dates is fine for academic discussion, but is hardly relevant in terms of competition. 

• BroGamingPageBroGamingPage Member UncommonPosts: 492

Actually the only comparison that really matters is how each game is today.   Since Warhammer is competing for todays subscription dollar against todays MMOs, it doesn't matter much what other games were like many years ago. 

Comparisons by release dates is fine for academic discussion, but is hardly relevant in terms of competition. 

I second that. It only matters what games are out today and these new games being developed must be better then the games out today. Can't sit there and say "Was Asheron's Call in beta as good as these graphics are today in Warahmmer?" lol...

Thanks GOD there is a ton of other MMOs for you two to play.

I will be there bright and early on Sunday...

WAAAAGGGHHHH

• oceansongoceansong Member Posts: 12

100% agree with OP.  Cancelled my preorder. I think people are delusional for buying this game in 2008. This should have been release in 2004. Im gonna go back to waiting for a good SCIFI mmo.

Originally posted by oceansong

100% agree with OP.  Cancelled my preorder. I think people are delusional for buying this game in 2008. This should have been release in 2004. Im gonna go back to waiting for a good SCIFI mmo.

Dont let  the door hit you on the back

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

OP:

Hahaha. Ok good luck going back to old boring WoW or whatever :P At least I play in a different world than you

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• walker68walker68 Member UncommonPosts: 156

Ill have to agree that the combat is really poor and chunky at times.  The game world feels small and cut up compaired to other mmos ive played, with way to many Load Screens.

But I do like the class/race etc and the rvr is what ive been looking for since DAoC.

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

its just an urban legend thet the beta has beta grafics.

this IS how WAR looks like!

• CablespiderCablespider Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by CasaFranky

its just an urban legend thet the beta has beta grafics.
    this IS how WAR looks like!

Yes...this is how it looks! And it looks pretty good as it stands now in beta. Who knows what the future holds for a game that hasn't even launched yet. So whether it's true or not, it by no means is a crappy looking game in it's current state.

img155.imageshack.us/my.php

img124.imageshack.us/my.php

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188

I agree that WOW is polished and probably "better" in every way.  But, the problem for me (and others like me) is that WOW is boring.  It's old.  We're tired of it.

No 50.00 exp pack is gonna cure that.  It's still gonna be the same old blizzard grind fest that won't matter in a few months becuse the next patch is out.

I quit FFXI 3 years ago.  To this day i can still log in and have "decent" gear by most player's standards.  You take a 3 year break from WoW and you're a nub.