Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review: Meh.

Comments

• kaydinvkaydinv Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by smasha

Does anyone know what the deal is with the textures and things in the distance ect? There are no graphical options to improve it atm, but I'm really hoping its stuck on medium or medium low settings atm because frankly it looks terrible.

The graphics are fine. In fact, that's the way I want them. It gives the game a more gritty feeling, like I'm actually in a war. Stop crying and go back to WoW.

Sorry, just trying to save everyone some time.

• hardy83hardy83 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by airhead

If it's released essentially bug-free, then I will try it out. Since wow and eq2, the only other mmo released clean has been lotro (which i played a while as well).
    If there is interesting content (pve and pvp) then I might play a long time (6 months even)... but most of these games get kind of bleh around 2-3 months anyway. Personally I think that the expectation of a game keeping someone totally immersed for over 6 months is ludicrous. Sure, play and make some friends, and keep em, and play other games or do other stuff with them... why click the same 3 buttons over and over forever? kinda crazy if you think about it...
    But sounds like WAR, even with some stodgy animations would be worth a 2-3 month play, if it's clean, (which it sounds pretty clean from what i've read so far)....

This shows how stupid most posters are.

NO MMO HAS EVER BEEN RELEASED CLEAN.

This just shows you've never played WoW when it came out, it was a mess, EQ had issues, and so did LotRO.

Where the hell did this concept come from that if the game doesn't come out perfect it's a failure.

Can someone tell me? It has something to do with WoW, but that game was a giant mess when it came out, so what happened?

YOU'RE WRONG! THIS GAME IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY! EVERYTHING WILL BE FIXED FOR RELEASE ITS COMMON KNOWLEDGE YOU IDIOT. YOU'RE JUST...YOU'RE JUST A WOW FANBOY. STOP CRYING AND GO BACK TO WOW!!

Man, I think I'm starting to get use to this fanboi business.

Ah ya got me, I'm just a WoW fanbo...Wait I mean a War....Wait, I didn't compliment any of them.

I'm confused. Was your post suppose to make a point?

• PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502

Esactly how I feel.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

And so we reach the point where fanbois start saying:

"it gets better once you reach x level"

MMO releases are getting very predictable these days.

• ninaraninara Member Posts: 2

well i will 100% be playing darkfall now. this just confirmed it.

theres just to much cookie cutter mmo's now everything is trying to copy the wow/EQ model and its destorying the genre and making it boring and repetetive.

if not just to play an innovative new game that might actuallbe fun i will be playing darkfall to try and help to bring about some change in the mmo industry.

tbh War was a real let down for me, it had potential and they ruined it.

• PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502

I've played right to the end level and all that happens is you run outta PVE and you do the same keep map over and over again because people seem to only wanna fight Empire and Chaos.... I guess because they're the only cities open. The combat system doesn't ever get any better I mean all that happens is you have the same few skills in the skill chain but you just have different choices like in EQ2 but each skill choice you have are pretty much the same. The animations put my friend off from playing the game too because he said they're just shit and wont play until they look better.

Also for me when I logged in I just felt like I played this all before and frigging I can't be bothered to do it again beause one I've done it all in beta and two its like WOW with the Planetside capturing the bases at the end where theres little reward and little risk and ends up being a bore.

The game is very very easy and I never died too apart from in RVR where all it came down to was who are the most people and not skill.

• TeamFortressTeamFortress Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by Raztor

As in: "hype - cash in the money - and run?"

or ... screw the end game, it will be fixed later.

Odd which other game was polished up to level 20?

So the capitols sieges are still under NDA... 9 days before launch. Mmmm.

Simple question why? It is only ONE besieged capitol? 4 will be in "later".

Originally posted by PapaLazarou

I've played right to the end level and all that happens is you run outta PVE and you do the same keep map over and over again because people seem to only wanna fight Empire and Chaos.... I guess because they're the only cities open. The combat system doesn't ever get any better I mean all that happens is you have the same few skills in the skill chain but you just have different choices like in EQ2 but each skill choice you have are pretty much the same. The animations put my friend off from playing the game too because he said they're just shit and wont play until they look better.
    Also for me when I logged in I just felt like I played this all before and frigging I can't be bothered to do it again beause one I've done it all in beta and two its like WOW with the Planetside capturing the bases at the end where theres little reward and little risk and ends up being a bore.
    The game is very very easy and I never died too apart from in RVR where all it came down to was who are the most people and not skill.

Just like I thought....

And it won't do ANY good to the MMORPG industry either.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215

Agree, agree, agree hallelujah. Any game that APPEALS TO MASS MARKET IS DESTINED TO DOOM that is not backed up by milions of dollars for marketting campaign. Let's see how much money was poured by EA to WAR adv. Probably enough to survive.

• speculationispeculationi Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Steelrose

Agree, agree, agree hallelujah. Any game that APPEALS TO MASS MARKET IS DESTINED TO DOOM that is not backed up by milions of dollars for marketting campaign. Let's see how much money was poured by EA to WAR adv. Probably enough to survive.

majority of the 'mass market' is getting sick of the cookie cutter game builds now anyway so until these big companes start to work out that they will have to be innovated to gain customers instead of just creating pretty video's and hyping these games through the rough.

until then we, the community just need to show them that we are sick of this game format and they need to come up with something else to be successfull. the responce to this game and AoC is testiment to that.

Originally posted by TeamFortress

Exactly.

Déjà vu

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

There is no NDA - ask away. You know this is the case so why do you still insist this is the case?

Your point is that there is a US Elder server still under NDA where patches are currently pre-released. However, the CB testers tested all tiers and the capitol sieges and are free to talk about it. So you are outright wrong.

I was one of the CB testers so if you have questions just go ahead.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

I managed to play through level 1 before the servers went down and...

It's waay better than WoW's 1st level ever was.

You guys should really start putting things into perspective.

• KrazcoKrazco Member Posts: 167

WOW clone? i really dont see simularities,

graphics is more like LOTRO, and the rest feel more like Vanguard.. with a PVP focused twist..

theres nothing in this game that feels like wow. exept the look of the orcs.

And for me, thats really good, because i don't need 2 wow's.

The game is really good, but its not gonna become my main mmo though.

Want to play: Lego Universe

Originally posted by Sikhander

There is no NDA - ask away. You know this is the case so why do you still insist this is the case?

Your point is that there is a US Elder server still under NDA where patches are currently pre-released. However, the CB testers tested all tiers and the capitol sieges and are free to talk about it. So you are outright wrong.

One of my posts got deleted on this forum the other day because it refered to elder testing review which is under NDA. 

Originally posted by PapaLazarou

The maps are very linear too because they'll look something like this, which is the only image I could find as I uninstalled the game...

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/gameInfo/zoneOverviews/ElfZone/images/tierMap_HE-DE_tiers.jpg 

So say you're the Dark Elf and you'll go through a linear path of progression from T1 to T4.  There are two zones in each T apart from in 4 which has 5 and what will happen is RVR will slowly get bigger and take up more and more of the map as you go along. Eventually and I think it was in T4 when the RVR ran through the middle and PVE was on the outside of the map.
    I just felt like the whole game was setup like a game and not like a mmorpg where it feels like a natural world like in WOW. Instead you just follow a linear path of quests or RVR zones and follow that one path to the end where its a constant back and forth RVR fight that gets boring fast.

See the problem with high end RVR is it becomes a cluster fuck and the game isn't balanced for large RVR at all. All that happens when you get large volumes of players together is the largest army slowly wins but people are constantly disconnecting throughout the day and the army sizes go back and forth and so does the keeps held so noone really ever wins.
    Another problem with the RVR is ranged are too powerful and all you'll have is two sides and a big no mans land in the middle and then lots of evenmy standing on the keep who can hit you but you can't seem to hit them half the time because they're exploiting it. The melee all stand behind the Ranged because even with healers as soon as they try to melee combat in the enemy RVR gorup then they find themselves having like 100 ranged targetting them and noone can tank that alpha. It doesn't help that there are static spawns that you can't capture so you constantly have a set spawn structure in RVR which means that its  sooo much harder to wipe massive forces away.
    The actual keeps themselves you have a defending army standing in the keep and they have all the advantages in the world and so they should do because they're in a keep. However they have a static spawn outside the keep too close by which can lead them right up behind your army. So the attackers find themselves having two fronts to fight and that just makes everything sooo much harder. So you have this constant back and forth where the enemy will keep kicking your army away to its spawn point and then suddenly you'll get a rush and get to their keep door again. This will go back and forth till their door is down and this can take all day. Once you're in the Keep if you get kicked out of it which happens all the time then the whole thing resets and you have to go back to knocking down the first door again.
    Once in the keep however the next door you have to take is less defended but the problem you have is again you're being attacked on two fronts from the empire coming in the keep to save it and the people in the last building defending it. Now it wouldn't be so hard but the last door takes forever to knock down and all empire seem to do to stop you is get lots of bright wizards and spam a AIE on the door from a point where you can't atack them but you can see them..........
    If you knock down the door then because of collision detection it becomes another annoying cluster fuck in the building. I experiences no reward what so ever from spending like two whole days trying to take a keep and was like wtf..... is that it? Then when I logged back on the next day Order took the keep already and advanced into out Pragg areas or w/e its called. Thats the furthest they ever got before we pushed them back again.
    See its a constant back and forth and every fight plays out the same.

3 questions:

1. So it is only "door entering"? even in the end capitol where it is "multi" door entering.

No breached walls, bombarded walls  you can get trhough?

2. Before the end capitol you have the same technique on the Keeps which all have the same lay-out?

3. What about the instance in that end capitol (limited in players ?). That should give high rewards no?

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

Originally posted by Sikhander

One of my posts got deleted on this forum the other day because it refered to elder testing review which is under NDA. 

Yes - the Elder patches are under NDA. End-game is not unless it is played on the Elder servers. End-game has been tested in three different phases of the CB which is not under NDA.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by ninara

well i will 100% be playing darkfall now. this just confirmed it.
    theres just to much cookie cutter mmo's now everything is trying to copy the wow/EQ model and its destorying the genre and making it boring and repetetive.
    if not just to play an innovative new game that might actuallbe fun i will be playing darkfall to try and help to bring about some change in the mmo industry.

tbh War was a real let down for me, it had potential and they ruined it.

this entire thread was.... interesting, for lack of a better word.  there's lots of nerd rage in this thread, that's for certain.

however, the above is what made me smile.  someone actually brought up darkfall.  the more i read, both pro and con, about war, the more it sounds EXACTLY like what i thought wow would be -- a war between the factions with goals and objectives and sacking of the enemy cities...

posts about how great wow was at release really do show which people didn't play wow for the first 6 months.  tell me how un-buggy and great the server Hyjal was for the first 6 months, please do. 

anywho, i'm still of the opinion that the weight which should be attached to a review IS directly tied to the depth of play experienced by the reviewer of said game.

if you only played a few levels of a game; then, that's what your review is worth.  if you've played thru the end; and you go into details of THAT gaming experience; then again, that's what your review is worth.  if you honestly believed the game sucked and you only played for a few hours; that's fine; but you're really not telling me a lot about the game, so your review will be worth "that much" for me and others.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• originaleggoriginalegg Member Posts: 1,099
    Originally posted by micona

I want to know one thing what game does not involve button mashing ??? geez
    since the light of day of video games their was button mashing atari ,genesis,xbox and pc gaming .
    You can hate a game because it's not fun for you but to say their button mashing is plain dumb.

not dumb at all....dont be so defensive =)

want an example?  EVE

No button mashing/spamming there.

Dont bother pointing out anything else about the game.  Simple answer...it doesnt have button mashing.

Since nobody answered my 3 questions:here they are again. Can somone asnwer them if the NDA is supposed to have been dropped now ?

1. So in the Sieges: is it only "door entering"? even in the end capitol where it is "multi" door entering.

No breached walls, bombarded walls you can get through?

2. Before the end capitol you have the same technique on the Keeps which all have the same lay-out?

3. What about the instances in that end capitol (limited in players ?). That should give high rewards?

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by archer75

I would call PvE new and innovative. The public quests alone prove that. And how everything is integrated into a great storyline with the tome of knowledge. How PvE affects PvP and realm control. I don't know of a game that has better or more meaningful PvE.

There is nothing inovative about the PQ's. They are simply open raids initiated by the game instead of  players. And if you play off hours you can forget about completing most of them unless you have a regular group to group with.

As for RVR  scenarios not being like wow bg's... well both the tier 1 and 2 scenarios are. The tier 2 scenario  I have seen is Warsong Gulch just  a bit bigger and lots of window dressing on top.

Someone commented earlier that well are not all these games button mashers... well yes at a fundamental level they all are, but there are lots of things you can do to liven things up none of which as far as I can tell are present in the game. You can limit the number of skills you can have availble to use at one time thus forcing you to pick and choose your skill set for the area you are fighting in. You can make mobs resitant to different types of attacks.  While all of that is just more button mashing, it makes you have to actually think about what you are doing in combat. You can try the AOC route. That combat was actually fairly enjoyable, it just wasn't interfaced very well and the rest of the game wasn't much to speak of.

The OP pretty much pegged it on the nose. I pre-orderd myself and willl probably not play much beyond the first month or two as I don't see anything here  to keep me interested for more than a month or so.

I really wish I could find a cure for the munchkinism that  seems to have infrected all the game developers.

• zmortiszmortis Member Posts: 152

In reponse to the OP, thank you for writing an honest review of your impression of the game.  It goes to show that WAR is not the MMORPG to rule them all, and maybe people will have a reasonable set of expectations about what WAR is and what WAR is not.  WAR is not the best game on the market for anyone unless they like what WAR brings to the table. 

WAR does have innovative moments of game play in the PQs and RvR play.  WAR is based on an interesting Intelectual Property.  WAR can be very fun when playing involved sessions of cooperative RvR and PvP.

WAR is not the game everyone is going to love.  For those people that need a feature list like: player housing, immersive crafting system, high end visuals, an expansive set of character animations, a large selection of character appearance customization options, realistic violence modeling, etc.  then WAR is not going to be something you will enjoy. 

For those people who have fun playing a number of innovative MMORPG style classes, with MMORPG style PvP combat in a cooperative RvR environment, this game might just be what you're looking to play.  I've had fun playing the WAR beta so far, and I think there is definitely an audience that will enjoy the game. 

However, I don't think WAR will be everyone's cup of tea.  If their concern over the nitpicking details keep someone from being immersed in the play experience, that's a fact of their existance, and they shouldn't be expected to enjoy something that doesn't seem fun for them.  On the other hand, if you're not looking for the perfect MMORPG to rule them all, and the feature set does appeal to you, WAR can be a very fun game to play.

I hope this helps.

Ah this is so amusing.

Can someone PLEASE tell me where such hard judgment on a game nobody has played all the way through came from?

No ones played tier 3 and up, the graphics aren't fully in, most people probably only played for about 10 hours.

I mean it's a matter of taste, but this isn't even really the "real" game. It's missing a lot.

Why is it only MMOs that get this treatment? Why don't console games get this?

"OMG I still can't swim in GTA, it fails!"

"What? I still can't fly in Gears of War? Fail!"

"I can't believe I can't flip over the chess board on yahoo free chess if I'm losing. I'm never buying this game!"

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Why aren't the graphics fully in yet?  I've heard this echoed a few times and must admit I don't know what people are talking about.

Is the open beta a low res version of the game?