Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After trying WAR, im gonna fire up AoC again.

Why?

Combat and graphics.

As far as in corcerned, when people talk about next generation, or steps beyond the norm

WAR is past and present, AoC is the future.

When i compare AoC melee combat, ranged combat, animations, character movement, atmosphere, graphics....all of it is better than WAR.

Makes me think....Funcom you released to early, you had nothing to fear.

Comments

• ackmhedackmhed Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Mattius

Why?
    Combat and graphics.
    As far as in corcerned, when people talk about next generation, or steps beyond the norm
    When i compare AoC melee combat, ranged combat, animations, character movement, atmosphere, graphics....all of it is better than WAR.

So crappy graphics and crappy combat is the future? If you like a crap game why  go to WAR, AOC is here for you!

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

And who exactly claimed WAR was to be next-gen?

I mean, if you're all about the graphics, by all means, go AoC. Anyone claiming WAR has better graphics is an idiot. But hey, that's not what WAR is going for. Gameplay is key.

• PrometeuPrometeu Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by ackmhed

So crappy graphics and crappy combat is the future? If you like a crap game why  go to WAR, AOC is here for you!

IF there is anything that FC did right - that is exactly graphics/ combat animation and close combat system.

They have other flaws - and alot of them though - That's why I stopped playing AoC and atm Playing - Warhammer Offline: Age of Registration (this a quote from thse forums)

But hopefully WAR will deliver... or maybe AOC will be fixed... hope is evrything ihave atm...

Always a Keeper of The Dark Side [KDS]
    Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Opinions.

I for one do not like the combat system at all in AoC. It's new alright, but that is not neccesary better. And I sure hope this is not the future.

• WangermanWangerman Member Posts: 24

If Random lag spikes, Grey Map and Constant crashing even on a high end gaming rig is the future..... If clicking 3 extra buttons to do a trick that could be done with 1 button is the future.... If Funcon has the future of the MMO industry in their hands then.... Sigh I have nothing more to say.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Why?
    Combat and graphics.

your stuff, may I have..

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Why?
    Combat and graphics.

Don't get me wrong I am slightly on your side but I have to ask is this what MMORPG have come to "combat & graphics" to me it use to be so much more and definitly more then "combat & graphics", for that I could fire up numerous of single/multiplayer games to have "COMBAT & GRAPHICS" my MMORPG experiance needs to have more then that. But I do see a trend in this genre being more and more just "combat & graphics"

For a brief period of time AoC had that for me, the graphics where cool, had fun , it was just missing something, and i don't mean the missing feature's as I never looked forward to actualy playing the game so feature's never where a selling point for me. Just when playing the game, looking around, all that space, yet so little freedom, when I look at the graphicle quality of AoC I expect this big ass virtual world to wonder in, for short periods I did feel that, especially after Tortage, Connells Valley was a great ride, but the virtual world gave me to much restrictions.Will I go back to AoC, for now I am not sure, regardless how the game improves I feel it ends up being more and more pvp oriented and I didn't quite due to bugs or missing feature's afcourse I be glad for those with that playstyle that the game hopefully improves on what they have promised, myself more looking for that sandbox type of mmorpg (prefured sci-fi) I hope on seeing atleast within the next 3/5 years from now.

WAR however due to how the game looks/feels lends it more to be a fun MMO I see the two as completly different type of games/mmo's and I must say I do enjoy ToK allot (keep in mind I am a niche mmorpg player), I am not a pvp type of player (anymore) so maybe WAR will be fun for a shorter period or perhaps I might even have a go at pvp or rvr, but am not such a big fan of RVR, yet the game provides me with fun, it looks fun but differently then AoC for the time I did spend with it. WAR might end up the same with me as AoC did. When a game stops being fun there are plenty of other options to have fun with. Also WAR doesn't give me "THAT" MMORPG feel but I don't expect it from it as I look at WAR differently then how I look at AoC. But then both I consider more to be just "MMO's " but games like Vanguard/EQ/precuSWG and the like I consider more "MMORPG's"

But for now Spore is keeping me occupied for the time being.

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

Why?
    Combat and graphics.

I agree AoC's graphics/animations are the best on the market and I can understand the appeal of the combat system (didn't do it for me but it is unique). Personally though I will take a functioning end game and an at least partially honest dev team over pretty packaging

• MattiusMattius Member Posts: 167

Its definately not all about graphics and combat, I thoroughly agree, its really about game mechanics, and whether they are :

a) relatively bug free

b) interesting

c) useful and valued within the game, ie is crafting worth it...etc

Certain parts of WAR I enjoy, i like the RvR idea, i like the public quests, the careers and masteries seem interesting even though im not at that point,  they will probably end up working out better than the feat system in AoC.

At the same time, i cant suspend my disbelief at the graphics, and the combat in particular, its just old and tired when you come from a game like AoC, the particle effects and animations for casters....is very ordinary, and the melee combat is just slow....imo, at least at this stage. I also find the races/classes pretty boring as well (except chaos) but they are straight up tradtional warhammer fantasy, and so it should be, so I wont bag the game for that.

There is a lot to like about WAR, its already polished, and im sure Mythic will treat their customer base a lot better, damn it wouldnt be hard, but in terms of combat and graphics, its about 4 years behind.

• YamothYamoth Member Posts: 182

Sure graphic is somewhat important, but in the end, what kept many many players playing is the mechanic.  Updating a few sprites here and tweaking a few combat animation there isn't relavitely hard.  Trying to fix a crapped out combat system that riddles with bug and imbalance  is another.

• valkyrieUKvalkyrieUK Member Posts: 39

Now I agree that Conan has some pretty decent graphics.  I found it boring to look at but the quality was there all the same.  Consequence must be how many people you can have together at the same time without the server struggling or peoples frame rates dropping to unplayable level.

Now if you have simpler graphics then that opens the door to mass battles at a reasonable frame rate because resources aren't being gobbled up.

So as a player you make your choice - eyecandy or performance.

In terms of combat, casters seemed pretty much like every other MMO out there.  Which I always thought was a shame.  For melee it is still largely like every other game except that instead of hitting one key, you hit three instead.  When I played I didn't find it revolutionary at all - hitting combos right is just about muscle memory and comes with practice and then you don't notice you are doing it at all.

• kaishi00kaishi00 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by valkyrieUK

Now I agree that Conan has some pretty decent graphics.  I found it boring to look at but the quality was there all the same.  Consequence must be how many people you can have together at the same time without the server struggling or peoples frame rates dropping to unplayable level.
    Now if you have simpler graphics then that opens the door to mass battles at a reasonable frame rate because resources aren't being gobbled up.
    In terms of combat, casters seemed pretty much like every other MMO out there.  Which I always thought was a shame.  For melee it is still largely like every other game except that instead of hitting one key, you hit three instead.  When I played I didn't find it revolutionary at all - hitting combos right is just about muscle memory and comes with practice and then you don't notice you are doing it at all.

^This. AoC fans are too dense to realize there's nothing revolutionary about AoC combat. Casters are the exact same thing. Melees, you're pressing 5 buttons to do 1 skill, which is pretty pathetic in itself. Then they got the galls to tell us WAR combat is slower when it takes them 5 seconds to do 1 skill.

The graphics AoC has is exactly why their "end game pvp" (sieges) doesn't work. There's nothing "massive" about AoC.

• gamer2108gamer2108 Member Posts: 203

I didnt find anything revolutionary is AoC (unless you count the patches that create more bugs than they fix).

I personally found the combat to cumbersome and boring having to wait constantly to hit the next button is 6 button string to one combat move. The decapitation and dismemberment was cool at first but the slow motion animations soon became a burden as well and I wished I could turn them off.

As far the  graphics other than the high res ground textures and mass ground clutter when everything was turned on AoC didnt have much going for it. Lineage 2 which is 4 years old has vastly supperior character, armor and weapon graphics. And Aion which is coming out after the first of the year is even better than that.

I had high hopes for AOC when it came out but Funcom managed to destroy all those hopes within 2 months of terrible patches and bland game mechanics. The only thing massive about AoC is the level of failure for a game that could have been very good.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by kaishi00

Originally posted by valkyrieUK

^This. AoC fans are too dense to realize there's nothing revolutionary about AoC combat. Casters are the exact same thing. Melees, you're pressing 5 buttons to do 1 skill, which is pretty pathetic in itself. Then they got the galls to tell us WAR combat is slower when it takes them 5 seconds to do 1 skill.

The graphics AoC has is exactly why their "end game pvp" (sieges) doesn't work. There's nothing "massive" about AoC.

Is it a complete radical change? Definitely not, which rules out the term revolutionary.  It's different that's about it, I'd also disagree it's faster and definitely a bit cumbersome. I won't comment on melee combat though as I played a ranger, I thought the combat and profession went great together.

With all that said, I haven't had this much fun in an MMO since SWG launch era (anchorhead vs Bestine PVP).WAR IMO is far superior to AOC, I was highly skeptical about that before playing myself. Now that I have, I know there's no debate about it. I couldn't make myself logout yesterday.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Hope you have a nice PvE experience.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Palebane

Hope you have a nice PvE experience.

What is this PVE you speak of?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

What is funny is I went back to AoC after WAR also.

It is just more fun no matter how screwed up it is.

Guild Wars is still my game of choice now, but I am so done with the old ways of MMO's. The stand around and fight mechanics, the kill 10 x quests, the brightly colored UI with too much ADD like info all over...

I would prefer to focus on the world and the mobs.

I think there is something to this non-gear dependence, and I plan to find out...Now, for me the total problem with AoC is Funcom, as the CORE of AoC is good. Hopefully theses upcoming patches are the real key to fix AoC. Most of the new patch notes looks good.

So, no more sheep following for me, I plan to break the mold..and try something new.

• polypteruspolypterus Member Posts: 201

I'm not sure why everyone thinks AOC's graphics is all that good. Yes visually it can look pretty nice but the graphics engine is downright Neanderthal. AoC uses a brute force graphics engine driving a high polygon count resulting in chopped up zones and a low frame rate. WoW has a far better engine. It has smooth zoning, run time refinement and really good ground clutter algorithm. You may not like WoW or it's graphics but at least it was written by a team of competent programmers unlike AoC. I haven't seen war yet so I can't judge, but they would have had to screw up massively to make a worse engine than AoC.

Even if you are not a programmer you can figure this out for yourself. AoC requires much better hardware than WoW right? With that hardware what would stop someone from writing a WoW like engine with higher polygon count more bitmaps etc? The answer is nothing. They were just too lazy to implement it or did not have the technical knowhow.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

Well, this is the second page of posts and no one has said it..... so.....

This game is in open beta and there are no High Res Textures, AA (anti-aliasing), final lighting, and so on.

"That new car is ugly, it has no paint, rims, or windows!!!!!"

"Yes..... that is because we are in the automobile factory....."

STOP WHINING!

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Currently in open beta for WAR, actually wanted to long on the next morning unlike i did with AOC. WAR is a much better game, will have a much better launch that AOC and will have many more subs after three months. So I wish AOC much luck even if I hate funcom very much but I'll see you guys in WAR after you get tired of standing alone in a desert with nobody to do anything with. Kinda like it is now, WAR is more of a grouping MMO and AOC feels like I'm playing on my Xbox..lol But I guess AOC is just for some people, not sure why. I'm very happy with the way WAR turned out and what it's going to become. But watch how it rolls guys, the subs will be up not cut in half like AOC :) WAAAAAAAAGH

• ackmhedackmhed Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by polypterus

I'm not sure why everyone thinks AOC's graphics is all that good. Yes visually it can look pretty nice but the graphics engine is downright Neanderthal. AoC uses a brute force graphics engine driving a high polygon count resulting in chopped up zones and a low frame rate. WoW has a far better engine. It has smooth zoning, run time refinement and really good ground clutter algorithm. You may not like WoW or it's graphics but at least it was written by a team of competent programmers unlike AoC. I haven't seen war yet so I can't judge, but they would have had to screw up massively to make a worse engine than AoC.
    Even if you are not a programmer you can figure this out for yourself. AoC requires much better hardware than WoW right? With that hardware what would stop someone from writing a WoW like engine with higher polygon count more bitmaps etc? The answer is nothing. They were just too lazy to implement it or did not have the technical knowhow.

I agree completely. AoC's graphics are not that good. Sure, there are some outdoor areas that look ok, but animations, character graphics, and mobs are not that great. Just because the game has a high polygon count and a poorly coded engine that stresses GPU's doesn't make it have great graphics. I've said it before, but COD4 , Bioshock, Crysis, and HL2 all have much more realistic graphics with smoother character animations. WAR's and even WoW's graphics may not have the polygon or shader counts, but they still look and feel better.

• rr2realrr2real Member Posts: 448

Why?
    Combat and graphics.

BAHAHHAHAHAHA that funniest post of the year

AoC was a step back in MMOs

almost everything was bugged in AoC... the instancing is Guild Wars era, WAR has a much better environment because you actually see a war going on unlike in Conan

Funcom new Conan blew hard and just wanted to make a quick buck

• AlexanderTDAlexanderTD Member Posts: 97

[I dunno how to insert quote into already created message in this stupid interface, my reply is to original post]

I agree completely. Of course it depends on people, but i always avoided "non-space" MMOS for horrible graphics, animations and too simplified combat system. AOC was the first such game i played and i wasn't absolutely happy with it, but when i tried/looked at other games when i tried to find alternative it was like "omg, they expect me to pay for it?" ;)

i'm not sayint AOC is perfect, but it achieved my minimum requirements in terms of graphics&animation quality. Visualy believeable world is important, i'm not signing up to play chess after all.

I also like combat for it's realism - blood and stuff, and fatalities rock :) I'd like to see a game that would have all the strong sides of AOC in future. But till then - i'm playing AOC or EVE or nothing.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

Going back to AoC over WAR...are you insane man?!

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Channce

Going back to AoC over WAR...are you insane man?!

Nope....fun is the big difference.

Stiff player animations and slow, slow mo combat just does not work to me...