Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concerning New Level Sync Developments

MarokiiMarokii Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember Posts: 16

At least to me, anyway. I was reasonably excited over the level sync system until i saw this at FFXIclopedia this afternoon.

"Experience Boost

Loyal readers already know that the new Level Sync system and automatic scaling-down of equipment will add a heretofore unheard-of level of freedom to party-based adventuring, but that isn't the least of it! With the new version update, there will be more experience to be had as well!

Previously, enemies classified as "easy prey" or "a decent challenge" would provide a relatively paltry amount of experience points, leaving career-minded adventurers understandably dismayed. No more, however! Vanquishing these monsters will now lead to substantially larger helpings of EXP, to better reward players for braving the challenges these still-formidable foes present.

Information on the Level Sync system and equipment scaling can be found here."

This concerned me because, although I loved the idea of players being able to 'power down' to level with others, the idea of allowing people to get a substantial amount of EXP from weaker monsters didn't even cross my mind. I'm just worried that they've crossed a line between making something easy and making something too easy.

Of course we'll have to wait until it's out to properly judge, but giving substantial EXP boosts to easy prey and decent challenges strikes me as too much. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• CaliburXlCaliburXl Member Posts: 73

hopefully SE doesnt go overboard with it. i like the fact that ff11 is pretty hardcore, but i also understand what they are trying to do with the exp boost. one of  the biggest complaints was the huge exp grind. not to mention the fact that eben though the mobs are easy preyor decent, once you get a certain level its alot harder to kill them. im hoping this decision will find a balance with difficulty

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

Having my PUP to lvl 73 i can say that those jobs that are undesirable yet fun to play have a problem getting parties. Soloing EP and DC -- which is all MOST jobs can handle -- for exp takes FOREVER and since there is never and exp party for them that is the only option for said undesirables.

So you get 10-20 more exp a mob if you solo ... okay. I think it is about 850k exp to get from lvl 1 to 75. You can get maybe an average of 40 exp if you solo (lets take BLM or RDM sleep nuke method out of the equation) so you need to kill 21500 mobs on average. How many EPs can you kill in a day? 50-60? you are getting 2000 exp. Add another 20 exp per mob ... 3000 exp per day ... so you net an extra 1000. So you get to 75 in 280 days instead of 400 days. Still not efficent.

Just like the level sync ... this will not destroy the game mechanics. It will still be most efficent to find people within your normal level gap and party with a group of 6. Take 2.5 minutes to get 250-300 exp killing an imp is a lot more efficent than taking 3-4 minutes to kill an EP for 50 exp. Everyone really needs to settle down. Is really everyone that plays this game afraid of change? It is just giving you another option to level. If someone wants to take a year to get a job to 75 killing EP so be it.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by ic0n67

Having my PUP to lvl 73 i can say that those jobs that are undesirable yet fun to play have a problem getting parties. Soloing EP and DC -- which is all MOST jobs can handle -- for exp takes FOREVER and since there is never and exp party for them that is the only option for said undesirables.
    So you get 10-20 more exp a mob if you solo ... okay. I think it is about 850k exp to get from lvl 1 to 75. You can get maybe an average of 40 exp if you solo (lets take BLM or RDM sleep nuke method out of the equation) so you need to kill 21500 mobs on average. How many EPs can you kill in a day? 50-60? you are getting 2000 exp. Add another 20 exp per mob ... 3000 exp per day ... so you net an extra 1000. So you get to 75 in 280 days instead of 400 days. Still not efficent.
    Just like the level sync ... this will not destroy the game mechanics. It will still be most efficent to find people within your normal level gap and party with a group of 6. Take 2.5 minutes to get 250-300 exp killing an imp is a lot more efficent than taking 3-4 minutes to kill an EP for 50 exp. Everyone really needs to settle down. Is really everyone that plays this game afraid of change? It is just giving you another option to level. If someone wants to take a year to get a job to 75 killing EP so be it.

I agree with all of the above except I think a player can kill more than 50-60 EPs a day. :)

Personally, I think the level sync idea was mainly to make it easier for lower levels to find party members and for higher levels to have more leveling options - and I like it just for those two reasons.

• snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863

It's the same method that Everquest 2 has.

Believe me it helps a lot finding a party and all. Especially in FF where 1 level can really kill your xp in some levels.

For example let's say that  all the members in a party are 37 and one is 39. If that 39 dude levels up suddenly the xp drop significantly while the guy offers nothing great in terms of damage or whatever his role was. The level synch is useful cause it improves the party dynamics.

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.

• MarokiiMarokii Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember Posts: 16

I think the idea of the level syncing system is a good one, even if I have a few concerns like overcrowding of the good camps. But my biggest problem is the idea of boosting EXP from Easy Prey and Decent Challenges. No one's ever been expected to party on incredibly weak monsters so I don't see the point in increasing the EXP from those monsters.

I suppose it still matters how serious the boost will be and what it'll end up being in total. We'll have to wait until the 8th to see.

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

• HaltsTimeHaltsTime Member UncommonPosts: 30

Think this Level Sync is the best idea for FFXI, first off, we all complain out storage, everyone who plays this games knows it, that even though you have max mog and max gobbie bag, you want more, and paying that extra buck maybe worth it to have that extra storage but why go thru the time of mailing it or trading it to yourself?  With the level sync hell, no more getting lower level gears to help your buddy or walking around naked~

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

FYI ...

I have been killing some Lesser Colibri for exp and skill ups on PUP the past few days. These used to be 35-40 exp for a non-sanctioned, non-boosted kill before the update. So it is about double. An EP now nets me about 70ish exp, with Sanction 80-85 exp, with Empress Band and Sanction 120-123 exp. It takes a little under and hour to blow through my exp ring on PUP.

It takes an hour to loss my ring which mean I am are grosing 2000 exp/hr now. Which means getting to lvl 75 will take me 21 hours. Now look at an exp party that might get 4k/hr and it would take 10 hours to ding. 8k/hr 5 hours to ding. 10k/hr 4 hours to ding.

As you can see ... Soloing is still not the most effiecent way to gain levels in this game, but it sure does help some of those jobs keep focus and lets them get some exp between invites that is not campaign battle.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

HAHA i mentioned this Everquest idea a year ago and they never responded.There customer support was always dismal as far as i was concerned.I never heard of anyone getting there ideas even responded to.It always appeared to me that the devs involved in large guilds were probably making game assumptions and changes based off of there own experiences not off the communities.

It is a great idea ,just sad they took so long to realize it.I think this shows these developers and all others don't pay enough attention to what other games are doing and what can help there own games be successful.Partying has well been known to be this games biggest flaw of all time.Not because partying is pretty much needed,more so because forcing partying but giving so few options and mechanisms to do it was the flaw.

Square Enix is a pretty smart developer however,you can bet a full party can't just make a ton of XP as i am sure you are worried about.It does kind of cheese down end game stuff like players building up there points.You can't chain d/c anyhow for bonus xp ,has to be EM,so they knew what they were doing implementing EP and D/C xp boosts.What it may also do is give a little extra to those boring chores players do like going for seals[beastmen/kindred] or trying for a certain needed drop.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.