Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP activities

Clearly PvP isn't part of questing so griefers and wanna be PKers can go play somewhere else.

That being said, there is a place for the challenge of competing with other players.  What are your thoughts and ideas for PvP?

Known PvP in CoS: Gambling.  Better than online poker!

Other MMO PvP type activities:

Bar Brawling - Simplest PvP implementation.  Some enjoy pwning others in this type of activitiy.  Can be useful for trying out new skills and evaluating damage output.

Capture the Flag - FPS standard for team play.  I think this is overdone.

RvR - done in AoC and seems to be nearly perfected with Warhammer online.  Clearly this isn't possible in CoS.

PvP activities I haven't found in other MMOs:

Tournament - scheduled (weekly) event players sign up for and must be present for play.  May include NPC entries.  Tournament winners receive prizes/trophy/name on plaque of tournament winners.

Challenges - mini-dungeons played for points/time.  Players receive rankings.  Some ideas for challenges are monster pit - how many monsters can you kill before getting killed, obstacle course - filled with hidden traps and passageways.

vs. Quest - two teams compete to complete a quest (non-mainline).

PvE challenge where the enemy mobs are controlled by a team of players.

Comments

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Well, firstly, online poker isn't that bad

Anyway, the developers have mentioned that they will have minigames, whether or not they will involve PvP is something we currently do not know.

As for PvP, there will be an arena, or coliseum, where PvP will take place.  Duels can go on here, as well as group vs. group battles.  Players can also wager on the battles and watch them; a lot like the system in Oblivion, now that I think about it.

I like the suggestions, too!

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by skipeth

Clearly PvP isn't part of questing so griefers and wanna be PKers can go play somewhere else.
    That being said, there is a place for the challenge of competing with other players.  What are your thoughts and ideas for PvP?
    Bar Brawling - Simplest PvP implementation.  Some enjoy pwning others in this type of activitiy.  Can be useful for trying out new skills and evaluating damage output.
    RvR - done in AoC and seems to be nearly perfected with Warhammer online.  Clearly this isn't possible in CoS.
    Tournament - scheduled (weekly) event players sign up for and must be present for play.  May include NPC entries.  Tournament winners receive prizes/trophy/name on plaque of tournament winners.
    Challenges - mini-dungeons played for points/time.  Players receive rankings.  Some ideas for challenges are monster pit - how many monsters can you kill before getting killed, obstacle course - filled with hidden traps and passageways.

Of your ideas, we were already considering a few.

Tournaments: These are Coliseum based. There will be solo and group tournaments, as well as Guild. In the case of Guild tournaments, you can enter as many players as you want, within a level 'bracket'. Then, you adjust who is actually going to face the next Guild team. There is a random role to select which team picks first. Then the other Guild gets to look at their team and pick their eight players. Then the first team gets the chance to change out two. Anyway, there is more to this, but we will offer tournaments.

Monster Pit: Not exactly what you were thinking, but similar. This is another tournament style, where your team faces a set of monsters in the Coliseum. The object is to survive. If both teams survive, the next round the monsters are tougher. The rounds continue until only one team survives. If all teams are killed in one round, there is an additional round.

Anyway, we are thinking along some of these lines.

• noobzornoobzor Member Posts: 43

thanks for the info jatar and hear are some of my thoughts

for monsters pit if both teams are defeated in the same round then will the last person to die on each team come back for another round or the entire gruop if so then will it be first death on the other and all monsters gone or the entire party?

now that i have that queston of my chest i feel like i am much lighter

well i think that some cool things that could happen is (say a guy got shot in the leg by an arrow would he slow down or if he got hit in the arm would his melee atks be less powerful and if he got shot in the head "obvios") 

another cool thing is if there where a "force field" that can only be passed by the partisepents that have a certain item but will be teleported back once the event is over.

what i ment by the paragraph above is the partisapents would be given this lets say talisman that allows access into the force field but once the event is over and you leave the force field your talisman is teleported back to the merchant to sell to another player.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by skipeth

Non-instanced areans and duels.  Only place for PVP in an MMO, IMO.

• skipethskipeth Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by pencilrick

Non-instanced areans and duels.  Only place for PVP in an MMO, IMO.

Sounds like you should be playing War or Eve which are both geared towards real PvP.  The storyline in CoS doesn't lend itself to an open PvP environment.

I think the real problem is when a company half-asses PvP like Turbine did with DDO.  PvP was never part of the design, then they got a huge backlash from the fanbase so they implemented crap. 

From the feedback Jatar posted, it seems that they are trying to put together some fun competitive activities for the players to take part in.   That's probably a more fitting description than PvP.

Speaking of real PvP pencilrick, I'd like to see an MMO that plays out more like Civ where one nation/race/whatever can completely conquer and destroy other cities/nations/races etc.  Now that's some serious PvP...  You go on vacation for a few days and when you return you find out that your kingdom has been overthrown and no longer exists.  pwn