Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG this game IS the WoW Killer!

I didnt think it was possible but I believe this game was actually created with the intentions of taking over WoW. So many games have come out to try and be different and strike into new directions to only fail. But the formula of WoW cannot be defeated it can only be surpassed and therin lies the destruction of WoW.

But also lies the strength of WaR is the FACT the Reality that this IP is where WoW stole its Ideas from in the first place! So no one can really say WaR is WoW 2.0 becasue its Actually just WarHammer. WoW is really War beta.

Basically WoW is Star Wars 1, 2, 3 and War is 4, 5, 6. 

Comments

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571

Orc (OR'k) is a word used to refer to a race of various tough and warlike humanoid creatures in various fantasy settings, appearing originally in the stories of Middle-earth written by J. R. R. Tolkien and derivative fictions.

Tolkien sometimes, particularly in The Hobbit, used the word "goblin" instead of "orc" to describe the same type of creature, with the smaller cave-dwelling variety that lived in the Misty Mountains being referred to as "goblin" and the larger ones elsewhere referred to as "orcs".

So, according to your reasoning, LOTRO would be Star Wars 4,5,6.

• MultaniaMultania Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by xcalibur

Orc (OR'k) is a word used to refer to a race of various tough and warlike humanoid creatures in various fantasy settings, appearing originally in the stories of Middle-earth written by J. R. R. Tolkien and derivative fictions.
    Tolkien sometimes, particularly in The Hobbit, used the word "goblin" instead of "orc" to describe the same type of creature, with the smaller cave-dwelling variety that lived in the Misty Mountains being referred to as "goblin" and the larger ones elsewhere referred to as "orcs".

what u smoking? I want some

Originally posted by noPHear

I didnt think it was possible but I believe this game was actually created with the intentions of taking over WoW. So many games have come out to try and be different and strike into new directions to only fail. But the formula of WoW cannot be defeated it can only be surpassed and therin lies the destruction of WoW.
    But also lies the strength of WaR is the FACT the Reality that this IP is where WoW stole its Ideas from in the first place! So no one can really say WaR is WoW 2.0 becasue its Actually just WarHammer. WoW is really War beta.
    Basically WoW is Star Wars 1, 2, 3 and War is 4, 5, 6. 

WAR=DOAC on Crack

Originally posted by Multania

WoW ripped off War's story in the same way that War ripped off WoW's gameplay.  Neither one of them were original.

WoW ripped off War's story in the same way that War ripped off WoW's gameplay.  Neither one of them were original.

Hmmm maybe WoW Ripped off EQ gameplay, which ripped off OU game play...LOL

• PepsipwnzgodPepsipwnzgod Member Posts: 203

maybe no one cares who ripped off who as long as the product is at least half decent.. nothing's going to kill WoW, i'm not saying War wont be huge i'm saying WoW isnt going anywhere, it may dip into the #2 spot for a bit but not everyone is crazy pvp obsessed so you'll see

-----------------------------
    IVE PLAYED WOW AND LIKED IT SO IM A FANBOI PLZ FLAME MY THREADS CUZ I MIGHT MENTION WOW

Hmmm maybe WoW Ripped off EQ gameplay, which ripped off OU game play...LOL

That's the point .  Hardly any popular fantasy is really original, that's why there are so many damn elves running around  .

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I love WAR but would people please STOP posting crap like this? Anyone with half a brain knows that another game isnt going to bring down WoW. To possibly even come close to taking over WoW on the top subscriber list takes alot more than just creating a great game. BTW I dont like WoW anymore. Played WOTLK and feel its the same old BS. The expansion will still outsell WAR.

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

You want original? Hello Kitty Online. Go have fun.

Originally posted by xenogias

I love WAR but would people please STOP posting crap like this? Anyone with half a brain knows that another game isnt going to bring down WoW. To possibly even come close to taking over WoW on the top subscriber list takes alot more than just creating a great game. BTW I dont like WoW anymore. Played WOTLK and feel its the same old BS. The expansion will still outsell WAR.

Only time can bring down WoW....When .Hack type game comes out or matrix...GG wow =P till then WoW is going to be around...People are having kids all the time...these little freaks need to play something colorful...I rather have WoW exist so they dont set their little eyes on WAR...

• LokyLoky Member UncommonPosts: 182

Only time can bring down WoW....When .Hack type game comes out or matrix...GG wow =P till then WoW is going to be around...People are having kids all the time...these little freaks need to play something colorful...I rather have WoW exist so they dont set their little eyes on WAR...

I like the last sentence....

I dont want to play the #1 game out there cause all the others are. I need unique, a bit of a chanllenge.

Why does everyone think something "HAS" to dethrone WoW. For all i care, all the hardcore pvp ers and rvr ers out there can come settle down in WAR. That is it. I dont want to RvR people out there to kill mobs and pve. So if it means WAR has a less subscriber player base then WoW or whoever so be it. As long as people wanna smash each other though our keyboards , im game.

• vvvemmavvvvvvemmavvv Member UncommonPosts: 51

there we go again...

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

I used to think AoC and WAR, plus maybe Aion and some other games in 2009, would, together, deal the knockout blow to WoW.

Well, one of them tripped over the bullsh*t he kept spreading and has fallen into a pit of fail. Let's hope this next contender will pick up the slack.

• HawkaronHawkaron Member UncommonPosts: 208

Eh, Warhammer wasn't a MMORPG to begin with, but WoW is and always been. How can WoW copy anything from WAR when WoW has existed since 2004 while this game isn't released yet. You might be correct about that Warcraft stole ideas from the Warhammer lore, but Warhammer the MMORPG which is a PC game stole gameplay aspects from WoW, such as the interface and that lame quest system.

This is the best signature ever. Well, it is really up to you to decide. :x

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

yes and wow stole its gameplay from everquest... why does everyone credit wow when they should be crediting EQ and UO?

• AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by crunchyblack

yes and wow stole its gameplay from everquest... why does everyone credit wow when they should be crediting EQ and UO?

And EQ and UO stole their gameplay from Diku-based MUDs. Blah blah blah. I'm sick of this tired argument. Noone steals anyones ideas, the way games go are they continue to evolve, not 'so and so ripped off so and so'. I hate that crap. Then again, I've been playing muds for 12 years, so...

Here, check out this entry from DikuMUD's wikipedia page.

"It has been proposed by Raph Koster (lead designer of Ultima Online and chief creative officer of EverQuest II) that Diku has resulted in the greatest proliferation of gameworlds due to being the easiest to set up and use.[3] [4] He has further pointed out that the Diku gameplay provided inspiration for numerous MMORPGs, including EverQuest, World of Warcraft and Ultima Online.[5]"

• p4nd4m45t3rp4nd4m45t3r Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by crunchyblack

Because most people that play MMO's came into the genre when WoW came out so they never played the old games.

• 1pitboss1pitboss Member Posts: 70

The fact of the matter is orc or orks never existed before J.R.R Tolkien dreamed them up. No where in any mythos in history did they live except in his books.  Now goblins and elves and such have been with us through out history. So really they all ripped him off so thank god there was such a talented writer. Of course I should add that H.P. Lovecraft was a true genius creating a totally new mythos from nothing and could not have been as far from any human ego as one could be.

• fingisfingis Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by 1pitboss
    The fact of the matter is orc or orks never existed before J.R.R Tolkien dreamed them up. 

Hmmm, the epic poem Beowulf mentions orcs. 1313 AD or somewhere around there. Tolkein was a scholar of that stuff.

• CamisadoCamisado Member Posts: 98

I just want to say that, Ive played WoW and AoC and War.....and many other games since '98.  I dont play WoW anymore. And AoC and War are very much the same... Completly different but the same as the missed the MMO factor. Its a lvl game. AoC is more open in the sence that GW is more open.  War is very compact and as AoC is compacted to WoW, War is worse....top guilds will own all pugs. Grinding...ack on a very tight scale 100s of meters apart. They increased mob animations this week to make them harder to target...hence more difficult . I dont know what to say but the hype of 2k8 MMOs...huge let down.

Btw Im currently playing Rose Online for my compacted Lvl/economy fix. And I can make atleast a dozen arguments why Rose is better than both War and AoC on several fronts.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Orcs predated Tolkien being mentioned in the original Beowulf and most likely appearing even before then.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Camisado

I just want to say that, Ive played WoW and AoC and War.....and many other games since '98.  I dont play WoW anymore. And AoC and War are very much the same... Completly different but the same as the missed the MMO factor. Its a lvl game. AoC is more open in the sence that GW is more open.  War is very compact and as AoC is compacted to WoW, War is worse....top guilds will own all pugs. Grinding...ack on a very tight scale 100s of meters apart. They increased mob animations this week to make them harder to target...hence more difficult . I dont know what to say but the hype of 2k8 MMOs...huge let down.
    Btw Im currently playing Rose Online for my compacted Lvl/economy fix. And I can make atleast a dozen arguments why Rose is better than both War and AoC on several fronts.

Is'nt this a thread you just posted and getting flamed on?

Rose Online (P2P)?

Ok, maybe thats why you dont like any of the mainstream games with subscriptions.

Korean mmorpgs have there purpose though. For what, I have no idea.

So if you like Rose Online, then here is a video for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fUadzVa0fc

• Balthaazar1Balthaazar1 Member Posts: 531

Trolls will be Trolls..

------------------------------

'Cry Havoc, and Let Loose the Dogs of WARRRRR!!!'

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Hawkaron

Eh, Warhammer wasn't a MMORPG to begin with, but WoW is and always been. How can WoW copy anything from WAR when WoW has existed since 2004 while this game isn't released yet. You might be correct about that Warcraft stole ideas from the Warhammer lore, but Warhammer the MMORPG which is a PC game stole gameplay aspects from WoW, such as the interface and that lame quest system.

Warcraft's beginnings were not MMO, there were 3 Warcraft RTS computer games released long before  WoW, and it's the concepts in those games that were ideas ripped from the tabletop game Warhammer.

So the argument WoW was an MMO first doesn't fly, due to the fact that WoW is based on the Warcraft RTS Lore, which is ripped from Warhammer... But we've ALL heard this argument time after time again.

As for WAR copying WoW's mmo features, ALL mmo's copy, modify, and build upon features of their predecessors. WoW wasn't the first MMO, it wasn't even the second,or third, fourth, etc, etc etc. But it did take ideas and concepts from all of the games before it and made MMO's more accessible for players with various gaming styles... And WAR is going to try to do the same thing, and to that I say best of luck to EA Mythic!

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by 1pitboss

The fact of the matter is orc or orks never existed before J.R.R Tolkien dreamed them up. No where in any mythos in history did they live except in his books.  Now goblins and elves and such have been with us through out history. So really they all ripped him off so thank god there was such a talented writer. Of course I should add that H.P. Lovecraft was a true genius creating a totally new mythos from nothing and could not have been as far from any human ego as one could be.

A couple of you have indicated this, but I thought it to be well known that Tolkien took his inspiration from the ancient English, specifically Beowulf's "orc-nass" which translates to "death-corpses". Beowulf was written around the middle of the 8th century. This would predate Tolkien's work by a few years.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online