Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I upgrade my current desktop now or wait? Cost/Benefit

nonjonronnonjonron Member Posts: 139

Hello,

I have the following hardware config:

P4 3.0 GHZ

1022 MB Ram

Nvidia GFORCE 7600 GS

I periodically upgrade to play various games.  Most of my gaming as of late has been confined to Eve On-line although I do dabble in EQ2.  There are some games coming up that hold my interest.  In the short-term Warhammer, in the long-term Diablo III.

I try to time my hardware upgrades to maximize my benefit and minimize my cost.  Question:  will I notice a significant increase in performance if I buy a new desktop in the < $1000 range at this point in time?  If so, does anyone have any hardware recommendations?  I have fallen behind somewhat on the current state of desktop technology.  Thanks.

Comments

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317

Based on what you have an by how cheap hardware has gotten you should definately go with a new computer than upgrade.  You can put together a rig that would blow yours out of the water for well under $1000

member of imminst.org

• nonjonronnonjonron Member Posts: 139

Any suggestions with regards to processor, graphics card, memory and sound card in the < $1000 range?  I was considering a Dell.

How would that machine compare to my current desktop?  Thanks.

• Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704

Hell for only $600 he can build a rig that will kill that one hes got by hundreds of percents better in benchmarks. Go with a new one. In a year or 2 we may see the prices start to go up again due to mining conditions in Africa for obtaining that rare elements found in these products and cell phones.

Who let you in the VIP section?

• frejofrejo Member Posts: 2

Go with a radeon hd4850 or hd4870 graphics if you want the most bang for the buck.

As for cpu a 3GHz core2 duo would suffice, I don't think a quad  core benefits games that much yet.

• ThunderballsThunderballs Member Posts: 365

yes the time is now - for a start we are in the middle of a recssion and we have evolved to quad cores at mass market prices and ram is crazy cheap.

you might be able to pick up a decent second hand pc for a $300 and stick something like a HD4870 gfx card in it nd that would be a decent machine for what you want.

Caveat Emptor

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

My PC is better than yours and I cant run the new EVE graphics upgrade :(

Like the man said you can replace your memory:processor:graphics bottlekneck for $650-$700.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL