Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamer's Bill of Rights

13»

Comments

• JenneroflokJenneroflok Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by InTheSea

Originally posted by Jenneroflok

As someone who started playing computer games on an IBM PCjr that I bought within a few weeks of it's release and has been playing all type of Computer games Since Wizardry 1.  I can tell you, short of a 100% boycott of the industry none of those demands will be adopted by the industry as a whole. 

WRONG. When players get sick of unfinished content the company gets a reputation hit. Funcom is a good example.

PC gamers will start to demand better and better games it's just a matter of people speaking up and not accepting bad or unfinished games.

Yes the Company will take a reputation hit, case in point SOE after what they did with NGE (Although, I think i blame Lucas Arts more for NGE then Sony), but as long as enought money is flowing in to not only pay for the game operations, but make somewhat a profit,  they will see bad reputation as a blimp in the radar that will even out in the long run.   The only a really hard hit in their bottom line will get companies to change their behavior; other case in point , even though several people left SWG, sony has not gone back to pre CU or even NGE servers.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084
    Originally posted by Volkmar

Originally posted by rikilii

Originally posted by Volkmar

The what are those funny plastic tags that are pinned to all the merchandise I ever buy in a store?  For that matter, why do stores lock up at night when no one is around?  I mean, most people would like to be able to buy shoes at 10 o'clock on Sunday if they need to, and would be happy to leave money on the counter.
    Copy protection may not prevent professional or advanced piracy, but it does prevent casual piracy, like where you make a copy of a disc and give it to your friend so he doesn't have to buy it.  This can be a significant source of lost profits for game companies.
    Who the hell cares about retailers.  Do you really think anyone gives a crap if some huge corporation can't make a profit by wasting your gas to sell you a useless box?  Name one video game retailer that you wouldn't gladly push under a bus.

1) are you serious or are you just pulling my leg here? you compare copy protection to the plastic tags in shops? Those are to prevent stealing, they do not hurt you as a customer! they do not lessen the quality of the product at all! You buy it, you pay, you get rid of the tag, done!

That's not always true.  A lot of the time, there's a big extra hole in my item that shouldn't be there.  Sometimes they forget to take the tag off, and I set off the alarm--very embarrassing. 

The copy protection would be like that if you try to use the latest t-shirt you just bought on your sewing machine, it stops working!

Effective copy protection shouldn't affect your enjoyment of a game any more than inventory control tags affects your enjoyment of your t-shirt.  If it does, complain about the TYPE of copy protection, not the concept of copy protection in general. 

And the night openings? that has NOTHING to do with people being considered criminals and ALL about people not wanting to work when it is 22 o'clock. Not to mention labor laws and the like. But hey, go to this wonderful site called www.amazon.com and guess what? you can place an order even at 00:00!

Like I said, if you didn't have to treat 99% of your customers like criminals in order to take care of the 1% who really are, you wouldn't need employees at 00:00.  You could just leave the door to your store unlocked, people could come take what they need, leave the money on the counter, and turn off the lights when they leave.

Amazon.com is no substitute, because I have to wait at least 2 days to get my purchase, kind of like how I might have to wait for a day to play a game that requires an internet connection, and they have no analogous concerns over theft, because they don't send it to you until after you pay for it.  I guess the only analogous thing they have to worry about is credit card fraud.  To help combat that, they actually require you to enter that little 3-digit code from the back of your card.  See, they're treating you like a criminal too.  How dare they?!?!?

2)Yeah! I can see it happening in EA boards of director "Sirs.... here are the latest date on piracy... 80% of it is professional piracy from the internet.... 15% is people buying copied disks and 5% is friends loaning each other games" "LET'S HIT THE 5%!"

I don't know the real numbers, but I highly doubt YOUR numbers are even close to reality.  Large scale professional pirates are easier to catch and can be shut down by other means.  It's the people who would make 1 or 2 copies for their buddies that are the bigger problem, I'd bet.

Beside.... NOTHING stops those friend to download a modified exe from even legittimate sites as many people cannot suffer the "cd must be in the drive" limitation. But honestly? Copy protection done to hurt friends loaning games? seems absurd to me!

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but no copy protection scheme needs to prevent loaning of games, only COPYING of games (i.e. you buy a copy, then make 4 copies of it and give them to your friends so they don't have to buy them).  Console games are considered to have near-perfect copy protection, and you can loan, resell, or rent out console games all day.

3)You might not care about retailers, but publishers surely do! What I meant is that publishers might even want to create a bigger digital download distribution system, as that would cut down a lot of costs, but they cannot simply ignore giants like GameStop that would fight really hard against such a system as it put them out of the market.

Publishers care about retailers NOW, because they sell a lot of through off the shelf, impulse buys, especially for more casual titles, and around the holidays when parents are buying crap for their kids.  That will probably change as people become more accustomed to downloading games (just as they have with music).  The publishers would probably be delighted not to have to share the profits with the retailers.  The extra money they make could be put into advertising to get more people to download.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Amen

Finally some sense

• MilkyMilky Member Posts: 339

I SUPPORT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!