Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC deserves some crap YES, disaster NO

2»

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Urrelles

Let's see.  AOC does deserve it's crap.  I honestly don't want the game to be a disaster, but then that would mean Funcom recovered and is now squeezing money out of people again.
    The game is bad enough that it should be a disaster.  It makes me sad that a game like Auto Assault, made by the good company of NC Soft  failed.  Yet a game like AOC, run by the worst company ever, could possibly survive.
    I don't want the AOC dead.  I want Funcom dead.  I wan't Funcom to get bought out by SOE.  Then I want SOE to fix Conan.  the fix will probably change everything in the game to something generic, but if Conan keeps its graphics, lore, and combat engine, I am all happy.  I don't care if the game is turned into a PvE game or all PvP.  Honestly if SOE took over right now, could they possibly make things any worst?

I'm angry that Funcom still keeps itself alive after 3 MMO launch failures.  Seeing them do the same mistakes and scams over and over upsets me.  Seeing a gem of a game ruined just really pisses me off.  I hate seeing peoples work wasted.  All the artist who started this project have been screwed.  Half of them can't even use this game as resume material because it was such a failure.  Seeing one of my favorite comic franchises disgraced by this company really pisses me off.  Now we got 2 crappy movies and a crappy game based around Conan.  <sigh>

They only have 2 mmos, not 3.

And get ready for the next crappy Conan movie, as Funcom is apparently helping to finance Lionsgates new movie so they can tie the movie and game together.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"I havent played AOC for months."

"But in a longer perspective, AOC has really improved since launch."

Say what?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Slampig

Say what?

Just go with the flow, common sense doesn't apply to this thread.

• Originally posted by Slampig

Say what?

Well, I'm just playing the game casual trying out different classes. I really ment that I haven't done any serious playing (spending hours per day).

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176
    Originally posted by SignusM

Originally posted by Alienovrlord

Originally posted by Lance08

AoC is the biggest disaster of the MMO world hands down.

Now, now.   Let's keep things in perspective.   Funcom did release a working (somewhat) game.    That puts them ahead of non-releases like Gods and Heroes. 

And Funcom remains an operating company after the game's launch.  That puts them ahead of Sigil and Vanguard. 

Sigil is still in charge of Vanguard, they just have SOE funds now.

Sigil had SOE fund long before the ugliest launch in AAA MMO history. That is why SOE took it over.  Strangely, VG is a pretty darn good game now. I agree the the poster who wrote the post you quoted. AOC is NO WHERE NEAR the worst launch in MMO history nor the worst game, or the worst disaster. Look at God's and Heroes; did not even release and still got sued.

If you picked up a copy of AOC and started playing today without seeing all the hate or knowing what was missed it is a far better game than many, many MMOs. I am not a fanboi either, I like lots of other MMOs and cannot wait for WAR after being in the CB. That being said, I used to defend LOTRO against the haters as well.  AOC is not a crap game even though it has bugs and fixes that are still being worked on and the company phylosophy sucks.

I refuse to play on AOC PVP servers due to the community so I do not have much to add as far as what is good or bad with the open PVP. WAR RVR is far superior regardless.

I think EVERY MMO release out there has had a sub-set, be it large or small, that bashes the game because not all games will appeal to all people and the opposing forces, especially here, become a rabid mob either trolling, bashing or defending the game of choice. There is very little middle ground.

• S1GNALS1GNAL Member Posts: 366

If you think that AoC is not considered a disaster game, then you standards are just way too low man. Or you probably never had any experience with the way Funcom threat their customers. Even scams like they stole money from peoples credit cards before their subscriptions ran out. Nah, you be a fool to not think that AoC is worse than worst piece of shit that have ever been made.

And this is not biased view, this the truth. You can check around the forums, and you will see that many people experienced the same things I did. I dont gain anything from lying, so why would I?

• Originally posted by dougmysticey

I think EVERY MMO release out there has had a sub-set, be it large or small, that bashes the game because not all games will appeal to all people and the opposing forces, especially here, become a rabid mob either trolling, bashing or defending the game of choice. There is very little middle ground.

I can't agree more. Well said.

• GhistGhist Member Posts: 275

I don't know.  Dark and Light and Vanguard while semi popular, didn't have a market share like Conan.  800K is probably  D&L and Van's combined original signups.

Age of Conan could have been huge if they had done things right.  They opened close or better than WoW and if you consider the requirements for the computer to run it, it would have been huge.  Now instead it's a prime example of what not to do.

The shear numbers make AoC the biggest disaster of MMOs because the promise of what could have been.

Waiting for the next thing

• ackmhedackmhed Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Crusher

I wont deny that I'm in some way is disappointed in AOC. I was drawn into the hype and defended the

game on the forums. I even flamed in the WAR section, not evening knowing what I was talking about.
    I havent played AOC for months. Not that I dislike the game, but rather that I'm sick of MMOs

and other games for the moment (I have pre-ordered WAR).
    Funcom should get a kick in the butt for all there promises etc, I can agree with that.

Also the game engine seems to be written in spagetti-code. The devs change, fix or

add stuff in one section of the game, just to break another part of the game. That happens

easily when the foundation of the core code is hastly written and not object oriented.

Instead of using scripts, they are probably adding game logic directly into the code core.
    Funcom aimed really high with AOC, and are now paying the price for it.
    But in a longer perspective, AOC has really improved since launch. And the upcoming

features look great. Funcom doesnt deny that they are looking at the good stuff of other MMOs

trying to duplicate the features into there own game. This is in some way bad, since the

core of the game has to be modified in an extent It wasnt built orginally for.

But, on the other hand it's good thing since they dont let the game engine limit

what they can bring into the game.
    AOC deserves some crap (I agree with that), but at the moment AOC it getting a really ridiculus

amount of crap that is not really fair. The game is not a disaster. The graphics and sound

is awesome, and I really like the inital PvE of the game. The PvP is a mess, which I hope

and belive they will fix. It just need some time.
    At the moment I'm taking a break from all MMOs. I've pre-ordered WAR and will check it out

when it's released. But after being burned by the AOC hype, I don't have to high hopes

about WAR. Not that I belive it is unstabled, unbalanced, bad PvP, but rather that I frankly

have never played a MMO that lives up to the hype at release.
    It takes years for MMOs to mature. WOW is great in it's own way, but lack the graphics and

sound of todays modern hardware. Same goes to EQ2, which has become a really nice.

At the moment, AOC has some aces in there deck of cards. The graphic in the game

is modern and will look great for years. Secondly, I find the melee combat system to

be plain awesome. I don't know any other MMO who can compete with those to

facts. Just give AOC some time (1-2 years), and It will be one of the bests MMOs

on the market.

This is the difference between a fanboy such as yourself and an unbiased gamer such as myself. You flame WAR without it even being launched in an unfair, uneducated, and pointless flame before the game has even been released. Beta's don't count; they are for testing and fixing. I flame on AOC after trying it for 30 days and giving Funcom a fair chance to at least deliver a halfway decent game. AOC is not only a crappy game, probably one of the worst MMO's I've tried outside of Horizons, it is also backed by extremely poor customer service and a company that is both dishonest and disingenuous to it's customers.

You bring up WoW. Why? What does WoW have to do with AOC? Fanboy's love to bash on WoW's graphics because it doesn't stress today's (or yesterdays for that matter) hardware. So what? Graphically they went a different direction than EQ2 and AOC. And guess what? It worked. They used ART to design their game, and succedded splendidly. A seamless world that is open to explore and colorful, and in many areas down-right beautiful, is what WoW is.

AoC's graphics are as disappointing as it's gameplay. Characters all look the same, animals such as horses and other mobs look downright ridiculous. As demanding as the game is on hardware, I expected awesome graphics. Compared to Crysis, Bioshock, Callof Duty4, Oblivion, FEAR, and even Halflife2, AOC's graphics are gimp. For an MMO that is as extensivly instanced as AOC is, I expected much better graphics. From weapons, to mob/character animations, to armor and even character graphics, AOC does not deliver.

Funcom delivered on nothing, and they do not deserve 2-3 years of time to get it right, and AOC will never be right no matter how many years they try to patch it up. It is a failure of monumental proportions on almost every level, backed by a company that has no direction and treats it's dwindling player base poorly. Bugs at launch I can take, and even expect. I can forgive that. But being lied to, treated poorly, and dealing with both a company and GM's that have no clear direction on where their MMO is headed I cannot take. Not to mention releasing a game that is not even half finished.

AOC is garbage, and Funcom deserves every bit of flak they are getting.

• Originally posted by ackmhed

This is the difference between a fanboy such as yourself and an unbiased gamer such as myself. You flame WAR without it even being launched in an unfair, uneducated, and pointless flame before the game has even been released. Beta's don't count; they are for testing and fixing.

I think you got it wrong. I flamed WAR before, but now I'm actually looking forward to play the game.

But being burned by the AOC hype, I'm very careful in having to high hopes about WAR. It will have it's strong side (just like AOC), but also weak side. It's just a fact.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Ed2099

I'll take MMO disasters for $50 Alex.
    What MMO release in 2008 lost half its player base in the first month after massive hype of non existent features?

Best post in this thread

AoC / FC deserves every bit of flack, and then some.

How do you go from the initial, hugely positive feel from the massive number of players on release, to the disaster we have now?  The majority of core issues that plague AoC are still the same from release (gameplay and technical).  Then there's the stuff that FC breaks from their own patching, which adds even more s**t to the big pile of s**t that FC needs to feed off of.

***IF*** this game gets fixed, I'd be intrigued to give it another shot.  But until then, feel free to fling poo at AoC and Failcom.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• gamer2108gamer2108 Member Posts: 203

Two months ago i would have agreed with the OP. But 3 months of promises they never keep and patches that are so bad I wish they would just stop patching and roll the servers back 2 months is just terrible.

This game could have been so much more if it only had good management behind it. Its almost like they want this game to fail the way they do things.

And I dont mind dangling a carrot in front of us if we eventually get the carrot but this is just completely uncalled  for. How can any company release a PVP oreiented game with the main PVP core mechanics missing???

• RaktmoreRaktmore Member Posts: 52

Ya, I have recently bought a time card for AoC (Didn't trust them with my CC) and I've been having some fun, might just be because I'm lv 16 though. I've basically only seen like 5 or so people in an area at a time. Might be bigger once I leave Tortage though. But even so this game isn't really that fun in my opinion. It's got talent yes, but it just seems like it's missing something. Maybe it's because I'm expecting after lv 20 that I'll be bored?

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

They show only interest in your money and hope some or alot believe there hype till the stock holders report that has to come showing desaster and my guess just not supporting it.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525
    Originally posted by Ghist
    The shear numbers make AoC the biggest disaster of MMOs because the promise of what could have been.

That is a good point.    The definition of 'biggest' could be the sheer number of people affected rather than the degree of failure. 

BTW - I have no idea if zazz was agreeing or disagreeing with my previous post in his reply  lol

• clamdipclamdip Member Posts: 58

The sad thing is that the only reason this game lists number 5 in MMORPG's Most Popular listing is because people log in to the forum and tell just how dicked they feel buying this massive pos.

I am a huge fan of Conan and Howard and I feel completely robbed with this game. Here I thought the movies screwed Conan, well I was wrong, this game makes the movied look downright honorable.

• UrrellesUrrelles Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by clamdip

The sad thing is that the only reason this game lists number 5 in MMORPG's Most Popular listing is because people log in to the forum and tell just how dicked they feel buying this massive pos.
    I am a huge fan of Conan and Howard and I feel completely robbed with this game. Here I thought the movies screwed Conan, well I was wrong, this game makes the movied look downright honorable.

Actually I found the games lore to be true to Conan.  Even the music had a profound affect that reminded me of the Conan movies,  but in this game Conan was actually a hardened well trained fighter and not some idiot slave boy with a strong accent.  If the gameplay and content were solid, this game would be a glorious victory for the Conan franchise. 

• Balthaazar1Balthaazar1 Member Posts: 531

These fools at Funcom flew too close to the sun, thinking they were Gods.. and they burned for it.

------------------------------

'Cry Havoc, and Let Loose the Dogs of WARRRRR!!!'