Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wake me up when...

xaussxauss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 384

someone makes an MMORPG with the features i am after

Must haves

• non-linear gameplay (yes it needs to be a 'sandbox' of some description)
  • crafting to provide the best gear (not loot)... dedicated crafters to quest / learn / discover how to make the best gear, and be able to tech / spec / add abilities to their wares
  • both RvR / GvG... co-operative pvp with dynamic and meaningful outcomes in addition to regions where it is possible to freely pvp those from enemy realm(s) for instant gratification 
    • politics by other means (war) can be played out both within a race and between races to determine land and resource ownership / accessability
      • inter-guild (same race) conflicts
      • inter-faction conflicts between races
  • player housing on land in areas dedicated for housing to provide extra storage, player / guild shops, and crafting facilities... and the construction crafts to build them
  • multi-classing / prestige classing / no classing... basically greater freedom as to how players can build a char, perhaps with skills associated with other class(es) costing more to learn than those from the base class(es) the player belongs to

Must not have

• patronising lead-the-player-by-the-hand quest system
  • end up having seemingly endless instance farming / Raiding for loot
  • have FFA pvp (grief fest / gankfest)
  • instanced world

Preferably wont have

• WoWHammer toony graphics

im not asking too much... all the features pretty much exist already in games like DAoC, AoC, VSoH, Istaria, Ryzom, EVE, SWG or are promised in WAR, DF

Comments

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Dear Customer,

Your order has not yet been accepted, please contact our customer service team to resolve the following issues with your order:

• Your order requires a $200M USD deposit and unfortunately your credit card was declined. Please provide us with a credit card that has sufficient funds.
    • You specified a delivery date of Christmas 2008 but our systems indicate that it may not be possible to deliver your order until Christmas 2020. Please confirm this with our team.

We appreciate your custom and hope you will contact us ASAP so that we may proceed with your order.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

You could glance at WurmOnline.   It's amazing what some indy devs can do while million dollar budget devs fail at copying each other.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by Narshe

http://www.fallenearth.com

as said by Narshe.

It has kinda all you ask for, no player housing yet but will come.

Bound to have someting you wont like but well, thats the same in all games

• fuzzylojikfuzzylojik Member Posts: 432

I've seen this kinda post so many times and they all have conflicting "wishes".  I guess there is diversity in expectations after all.

Some people like crafting some people don't, I don't wanna craft all day to get the best loot just like I don't want to PvE and raid all day to do it.

If a customisable self-made MMO was magically spawned to cater to each and every ones needs, you probably will have almost as many MMOs as the number of players. 

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Crating is PvP with resource and profit management :P

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by fuzzylojik
    If a customisable self-made MMO was magically spawned to cater to each and every ones needs, you probably will have almost as many MMOs as the number of players. 

QFT

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

No no no you have it all wrong. People want the following:

1. Solo with every class to max level/skill

2. Solo all skills to make their own items so they don't have to interact with other people.

3. Solo all dungeons, make even elite dungeons solo friendly.

4. Spend 10 minutes max in a starter area.

5. Max skill/level within 3 days.

6. Jump

Holy crap I just realized something. If Blizzard got into the console market they would destroy everything!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by xauss

Must haves

non-linear gameplay (yes it needs to be a 'sandbox' of some description)
    crafting to provide the best gear (not loot)... dedicated crafters to quest / learn / discover how to make the best gear, and be able to tech / spec / add abilities to their wares
    both RvR / GvG... co-operative pvp with dynamic and meaningful outcomes in addition to regions where it is possible to freely pvp those from enemy realm(s) for instant gratification 

politics by other means (war) can be played out both within a race and between races to determine land and resource ownership / accessability

inter-guild (same race) conflicts
    inter-faction conflicts between races

player housing on land in areas dedicated for housing to provide extra storage, player / guild shops, and crafting facilities... and the construction crafts to build them
    multi-classing / prestige classing / no classing... basically greater freedom as to how players can build a char, perhaps with skills associated with other class(es) costing more to learn than those from the base class(es) the player belongs to

Must not have

patronising lead-the-player-by-the-hand quest system
    end up having seemingly endless instance farming / Raiding for loot
    have FFA pvp (grief fest / gankfest)
    instanced world

Preferably wont have

WoWHammer toony graphics

im not asking too much... all the features pretty much exist already in games like DAoC, AoC, VSoH, Istaria, Ryzom, EVE, SWG or are promised in WAR, DF

The Saga of Ryzom

Has most of that to some degree.

• SiruKaiSiruKai Member Posts: 73

Saga of Ryzom barely has Housing.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

I dont think Aion will have housing, but it does have that multi-classing aspect your looking for.

www.aiononline.com

www.aionsource.com

Coming Mid 2009.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • xaussxauss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 384

Originally posted by grimboj

Dear Customer,

Your order has not yet been accepted, please contact our customer service team to resolve the following issues with your order:

Your order requires a $200M USD deposit and unfortunately your credit card was declined. Please provide us with a credit card that has sufficient funds.

You specified a delivery date of Christmas 2008 but our systems indicate that it may not be possible to deliver your order until Christmas 2020. Please confirm this with our team.

We appreciate your custom and hope you will contact us ASAP so that we may proceed with your order.

hmmm i got $50 USD... just need to find 3,999,999 more likeminded 'investors' (each with $50 USD)...

Originally posted by fuzzylojik

I've seen this kinda post so many times and they all have conflicting "wishes".  I guess there is diversity in expectations after all.
    Some people like crafting some people don't, I don't wanna craft all day to get the best loot just like I don't want to PvE and raid all day to do it.

yes some people dont like the idea of player-driven economies, and the player inderdependence and interaction that creates causing subsequent game-world 'communities'... luckily for them, they would be able to buy their EQs from crafters, or just play one of the many games already out or in development that does not consider crafting as both a central and important aspect

the outlined 'wishlist' only really discriminates against those that consider FFApvp (and the associated greifing / ganking) to be important central characteristics for their choice of MMORPG, or those who really want a single-player game (linear quest game) set online with other players... agreed, they would need to look elsewhere

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by xauss

Must haves

non-linear gameplay (yes it needs to be a 'sandbox' of some description)
    crafting to provide the best gear (not loot)... dedicated crafters to quest / learn / discover how to make the best gear, and be able to tech / spec / add abilities to their wares
    both RvR / GvG... co-operative pvp with dynamic and meaningful outcomes in addition to regions where it is possible to freely pvp those from enemy realm(s) for instant gratification 

politics by other means (war) can be played out both within a race and between races to determine land and resource ownership / accessability

inter-guild (same race) conflicts
    inter-faction conflicts between races

player housing on land in areas dedicated for housing to provide extra storage, player / guild shops, and crafting facilities... and the construction crafts to build them
    multi-classing / prestige classing / no classing... basically greater freedom as to how players can build a char, perhaps with skills associated with other class(es) costing more to learn than those from the base class(es) the player belongs to

Must not have

patronising lead-the-player-by-the-hand quest system
    end up having seemingly endless instance farming / Raiding for loot
    have FFA pvp (grief fest / gankfest)
    instanced world

Preferably wont have

WoWHammer toony graphics

I 110% completely agree with everything you said. Thats exactly what I'm looking for too.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291

glad to see someone else thinks warhammer has cartoony graphics like WoW...thought i was going crazy there for a second.

(ps i like both their graphics, but after getting called an idiot over and over for suggesting they are cartoony in nature, i was starting to wonder....)

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by imbant

glad to see someone else thinks warhammer has cartoony graphics like WoW...thought i was going crazy there for a second.
    (ps i like both their graphics, but after getting called an idiot over and over for suggesting they are cartoony in nature, i was starting to wonder....)

I've heard this "cartoony" Warhammer argument a few times too, but....I guess I just don't see it.  Granted, my machine is a beast and things tend to look more clear on it than the average machine, not saying your machine is average, but WAR's gfx even not running at max level during Preview Weekend, looked a LOT less "cartoony" than WoW's.  They were more like somewhere between WoW on max settings and EQ2 on max settings, combined together.  Hard to explain, but they seemed much more three dimensional to me than WoW's.

Meh....nvm....I can't explain it....LOL.

I like the graphics is both games, but they don't appear the same style to me.  Maybe my eyes are just getting old.  /shrug

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BogSvarogBogSvarog Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by girlgeek

I've heard this "cartoony" Warhammer argument a few times too, but....I guess I just don't see it.  Granted, my machine is a beast and things tend to look more clear on it than the average machine, not saying your machine is average, but WAR's gfx even not running at max level during Preview Weekend, looked a LOT less "cartoony" than WoW's.  They were more like somewhere between WoW on max settings and EQ2 on max settings, combined together.  Hard to explain, but they seemed much more three dimensional to me than WoW's.

I like the graphics is both games, but they don't appear the same style to me.  Maybe my eyes are just getting old.  /shrug

Its a different style allright, the only commonality is they both are low-polygon, WAR has a reason to be because of its massive RvR.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by girlgeek

its colorful not bland like the real wold. thats why people say cartoon because they use allot of colors. IF its not crysis like gfx its cartoony.

• tetchytetchy Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Abrahmm 
    I 110% completely agree with everything you said. Thats exactly what I'm looking for too.

any dev company that can supply a decent fantasy sandbox, with top notch crafting (inc housing), and GvG and / or RvR should find it hard to fail - its amazing that they just dont seem to want to make one

( o )( o )

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by LordRelic

its colorful not bland like the real wold. thats why people say cartoon because they use allot of colors. IF its not crysis like gfx its cartoony.

Yup...that's the conclusion I too am forced to come to when I hear certain graphics referred to as "cartoony."  I don't know why people seem to like ultra REALISM in their fantasy games.  Personally, I prefer things a bit more bright and colorful than real life, when you're talking about the colors, and as far as 3D REALISM goes....perhaps some people just didn't get to look at Warhammer on very high settings?  O.o  Because, frankly, it's every bit as realistic as EQ2 on maxed settings, yet probably using a lot more efficient coding.  The shadows and ambient lighting is all FAR FAR beyond WoW's.  Go figure.  HAS to be the color to which people are referring.

I mean...."Gee my elves, orcs, dwarfs, squigs and writhing undead Chaos types don't look like they do in the REAL world...."  seems kind of an uhm.....delusional (??) thing to be saying.   lol   If THAT is what they're saying.....I want some of what they're SMOKING.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club