Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oblivion MMO please?

We all know how Oblivion is an awesome game.

What would make it amazing?   If it went MMO.

Would you play the Oblivion MMO? Or is it a bad idea?

Discuss :)

Jessixa <!--
* 70 Blood elf
* Rogue
* Darksorrow (EU)

Comments

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I would drop every MMO i am playing currently for a Elderscrolls MMO.

I still have oblivion and morrowind on my PC and whenever i get bored with MMOs and FPS games i load them up and explore and do some house robbing :)

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/index.php

http://vimeo.com/1631260 (latest video)

Described as a cross between Oblivion and Mount & Blade combat

Beta planned for october 2008 with a release shortly after that as they have been in closed beta for awhile now.

Prepare for the bottom feeders to tell you that the game doesnt exist, but if you have the time to read into it and check it out, you make up your own mind =)

Gl

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I would love an oblivion mmorpg, I thought someone was working on one a while back but it would need some changes and things added, one conflic I can think of is hey why dont you go read that book over there while I go repair our weapons and barter the hek out of this guy, but I prefer it if they atleast kept the books around to find treasure and etc.

• DraganceDragance Member Posts: 90

while i would love an elderscrolls mmo and it would sure be great (if elderscrolls cant bea good mmo i would quit mmo's all together) it might be a little hard to implement all of there fighting styles and systems into an mmo. but im sure if they were to make an mmo they would make it work amazing. and =tieing all of tamriel into one seamless world would make me gizz unconrollably.

but on another note, i know that i read somewhere that Elderscrolls V is going to have online capabilities. maby somthing like Fable II is going to have. now i don't know for sure so don't take my word on it completely.

~Drag

• Psiho246Psiho246 Member Posts: 482

Oblivion is crap. Insult to RPG genre.

If they made an Elder Scrolls MMO that is more like Morrowind, then id play it.

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291
    Originally posted by Psiho246

A LOT of people played and enjoyed that "crap", but you are of course entitled to your own opinion.

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Just say you want a sandbox with a questing focus.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• TuxideTuxide Member UncommonPosts: 213

Originally posted by Psiho246

I concur, Morrowind was better. Oblivion was way too dumbed down. Plus you can fly in Morrowind.
  • TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

I stoped playing Oblivium after 3 hours. I played Morrowind like 5 years.

• rhalerhale Member Posts: 17

morrowind was definately better than oblivion

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

If they dropped the fps part of it id play it as an mmo

Otherwise to much clicking for my tastes.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

LOL .. you *do* know that Oblivion can be played in 3rd person? I guess u never figure taht one out.

• DarkrangerxxDarkrangerxx Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

LOL .. you *do* know that Oblivion can be played in 3rd person? I guess u never figure taht one out.

He probably means doing things such as using a bow (which is impossible really in third person)

There is an online oblivion mod coming out... 12 players is its max atm.

Once its latest ver hits beta around September 1st im definetly trying it out.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Jessixa

IMO Oblivion was a steaming pile of crap.

Sure, lovely environments, I wont argue that, but the character models were FUGLY.

Scaling games are worthless to me, giving me no sense of achievement or improvement, as the NPCs and creatures level up alongside you... Your place remains the same in the world all the time, begging the question why level up at all, when the game can be completed pretty much without bothering.

Instant travel is lazy and makes 90% of the world (the wilderness) pointless past the first 2 or 3 play sessions.

GPS led questing is spoon fed gaming for the spoon fed instant gratification generation.

Horses were a joke.

90% of dungeons were pointless space fillers, lacking purpose, character or plot.

The Oblivion dimension, although nice the first time seen, was repetitive and boring.

The 'classes' in the game lacked identity or distinction, with all characters played ending up as a grey porridgy 'adventurer'... why even offer the false choice of class at all?

Sure, there were some nice touches... the paint troll quest, the vampire and assassin side quests/ plots, the environments, the diplomacy system, the free roam feel (I am not gonna call it sandbox, 'cause it 'aint :P )... just not enough to swing it for me personally.

To me, seeing as Oblivion is just a single player version of a MMORPG, it seems strange to suggest it should be made into a MMO, when it would play in practical terms almost identically to just about any traditional fantasy MMORPG out there (EQ2 for instance). Only not as good. Why bother making it?

Saying this, I would call for more of the Elder Scrolls series if I liked them or not, if only to take the solo quest grind casual-lite players away from real MMORPGs in order to let the genre get back to what once made it special- The people.

• RooseveltRoosevelt Member Posts: 341

What you guys have to understand is that Oblivion was the first game to take graphics to a new level like that. I actually remember the game informer article that showed the game and I thought "No way those graphics are at least 5 years too early!" the game is still amazing looking and matches up with games like Crysis and AOC, and it came out oer 2 years ago. So for the first game to "Set the bar" I tihnk they did alright. ITs just none of us want graphics that liked Morrowind. I loved morrowind for the ability to be and do whatever I wanted. I played the game religiously for 5 hours a day everyday after classes. I would leave the house at 9 get back at 12 and play till 5-6 o clock, get something to eat and go to night classes, then spend my evenings at the local Ale House with all my friends. Oblivion did not least me as along but it still was a good game. I think the next Elder Scrolls MMO or not will be the one to look out for.

This is his story....

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by Jessixa

It's in the works but I think that Bethesda will have to finish the Fallout MMO first.

Dumbed down in some ways but not many, and fixed alot of issues morrowind had its really a trade off friend.

That is only your opinion, I did not feel this way about the game, it had a very creative plot and if you actually read the books linked to the dungeons you understand the plots in the first place and there history. And by the way many of the quests are excellent have you even tried the thieves guild?

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

elderscrollsonline.com

No the game is not confirmed to be in development  but this domain is registered by zenimax, parent company of Bethesda, makers of The elder scrolls series, Oblivion and Morrowind.

• NikepwnsNikepwns Member Posts: 134

Hey guys, just to say if you go to www.tesnexus.com

There is a mod that lets you install oblivion online, make sure you download the mod manager before you do anything

Anyway there is tons of servers tons of stuff to do. its really good!

Played: WoW, Guild wars, Eve, SWG, and more

• shohadabanshohadaban Member Posts: 36

like we need ANOTHER fantasy based mmo

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

I thoroughly enjoyed both Morrowind and Oblivion

If an MMO is ever released about the Elder Scrolls world I would definitely support it

There are so many continents and unexplored lore in the world ..it just screams .."mmo "

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    Originally posted by shohadaban

like we need ANOTHER fantasy based mmo

One mans fantasy is another mans Scifi. 

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.