Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classics

FaliceFalice Member Posts: 329

Maybe it's just me, but I miss the classic rpgs... Although I'm glad to see that some of it is coming back in the form of D3 and Dragon Age, I still wish there were more isometric rpgs available in the style of Baldurs and such.

I also miss the classic turned based console rpgs, where you had time to think and strategize, I can't stand these new J-rpgs that supposedly have "real-time" encounters, they just don't work for me... I want to be able to take full control of every detail including control of my squad, not just the main character.

Anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

While I can see what you mean by old western RPG's, I really don't understand why you miss turn based JRPG's.

There are still tons of turn based JRPG comming out for consoles these days. The Xbox360 currently has Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Enchanted Arms, while Disgaea 3 just came out for the PS3, and Enchanted Arms is avaible on the PS3 as well.

You can also find tons of turn based JRPG's on the Playstation 2. I heard a lot of good things about Persona 3, which was nominated for RPG of the year a few time and It probably won one or two awards.

There are also quite a few on handhelds.

Plenty of turn based JRPG's around.

• FaliceFalice Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by Gameloading

While I can see what you mean by old western RPG's, I really don't understand why you miss turn based JRPG's.
    There are still tons of turn based JRPG comming out for consoles these days. The Xbox360 currently has Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Enchanted Arms, while Disgaea 3 just came out for the PS3, and Enchanted Arms is avaible on the PS3 as well.
    You can also find tons of turn based JRPG's on the Playstation 2. I heard a lot of good things about Persona 3, which was nominated for RPG of the year a few time and It probably won one or two awards.
    There are also quite a few on handhelds.
    Plenty of turn based JRPG's around.

Well I have a 360 and I'll admit I am looking forward to some Jrpgs that're coming out later, but the current batch wasn't up to snuff for me.

There is one game (White Knight Story) coming out for the PS3 which isn't turn based that seems pretty neat to me so far.

PS2 games don't intrest me.

I wouldn't mind seeing a full fledged Isometric (Baldurs style) warcraft rpg, that would really float my boat...

More than anything I really really really really really can't wait for Diablo 3, I can't stand that it's probably going to be a few years before they release that bad boy... at least that's my guess.

• saniceksanicek Member UncommonPosts: 368

Well, there are many independent games of varying quality and also many mods for Bioware games like BG2, also don't forget NWN2 and its modules, it is very much like isometric BG alikes in spirit. Try for example rpgwatch.com or gamebanshee.com and I'm sure you can google up tons of other stuff.

PS: Enchanted Arms had a very good combat system, I really enjoyed it, very simple yet intriguing, a step up from the typical FFesque menu commands. edit: also GLing forgot Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia for the X360.

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
    +plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
    Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.