Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The problem with arena is...

ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

..it simply crushes the sucky ones. While in a siege/RvR/bg/whatever you feel like you're doing something useful, in arena it's only you and very few players so you play a huge role in it. If you fail to win, your rating goes down. And if this repeats to -1500, it will both make you feel bad at PvP and make other people laugh at you.

For many casuals, this system simply ain't normal, they are expected to get the best PvP items from bgs/open world battle, which can be easily grinded with 1 button/leeched.

Arena, for me, is fun. I hate it when people blame the LoS, druid HoTs/Travel Form or melee so much. There are some imbalanced skills, but this doesn't mean you gota make 10000 topics on every WoW PvP forum you see that X class is OP.

With a mic and some base knowledge of WoW skills/mechanics you can reach 2k with almost any setup and even the most casual players can do it.

So please stop bashing the arena so much, it's close to the best PvP place where you can show your skills and not your guild's ability to zerg. It's a MMORPG, not a FPS so RNG and gear(well not really gear since s2, which is very easy to get, CAN complete with s4) has a role but, no matter how much you deny it, skill is on the first place.

Comments

• LeKinKLeKinK Member Posts: 899

tbh, i got the game at release and cancelled about 6 month ago. I am a pvper but I was never doing arena, I was always in AV and you can alway find some 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3 and even 5 vs 5 in there. The only reason someone can like the arena system is for the gear, wich I really don't care having all the top end gear.

These people usually click right off the bat on your character icon to armory you and start saying how better they are then anyone else. Rince and repeat, they pretty much all do that and its another reason I never wanted to even try arena. Associating myself to these folks was a big turn off.

Anyway it's my opinion, I know folk on here can be even more rude but w/e i don't care

• RavendasRavendas Member Posts: 19

Worst system blizzard ever implemented , WoW  arena PvP is lame and only serves a few pillar huggers and i suspect only 30% of the actual server population who engage in PvP , over and over again i have witnessed people turned down for arena teams because of their lack of the latest "keeping up with the jonses" items and or their talent build , invariably these people form teams that cannot possibly compete up against the seasoned no life arena players who they come up against destroying the will to play the arena  and the consequence of this is they settle for the charity epics while missing out on a significant  portion of the pvp scene .

This is breeding resentment at blizzard for their utter disregard for many many calls for more open PvP bg's and a more balanced arena system where those at the top with all the latest worthless epics can easily take on the lower level less well equipped new arena player with ease,blizzard should have scaled the arena into a ladder type system to even the playing field,It's all a moot point now as i forsee an exodus of major PvP players like myself to WAR it's what the larger majority of the PvP community are planning to do from my own observations.

Enjoy your worthless trinkets while you can it's too late to fix the PvP portion of this game now and blizzard will lose the PvP war , even with the pitiful addition of a few extra tacked on PvP elements in WoTLK it still fails.

• fuzzylojikfuzzylojik Member Posts: 432

Hey I have a rogue and lock and pardner with a druid friend.  I love arenas :)  It's ez when you have the right classes.  I won't say every class has equal chance but if you get the right combination you may come close...... Just roll an OPed class and it's just more ez mode.

The system really made me into a casual player.  You just have to maintain your quota of games for the week and you're set, we just play all our games over 1-2 days to maintain our 2200+ ranking, so it's extremely casual friendly.

Arenas is good for small scale PvP endgame.  It's gladatorial combat and that's it. Nothing more nothing less.  If you're looking for world PvP or large scale PvP it's not for you.  It's instanced and loot centric and easy if you have the right classses, skill and combinations.  It's for number crunchers and LOS pillar humpers.  If you don't like all these things, it's probably not for you. 

It's not all skill.  I would say it's a combination of skill + class choice + class combination + latency.  Some of these factors will of course weigh heavier than others.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Arena is realy good at showing who has only one PVP skill, forum ranting.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Wait I thought you could pay people to let you play on their team so you can get the items faster?!?!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Briansho

Wait I thought you could pay people to let you play on their team so you can get the items faster?!?!

You can do that, that's the thing that also shows how you have no skills, becasue if you pay, you will lose and your personal rating will suck, you will only get team rating but your personal rating will still suck.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

The problem with arena is that it's the only way to get that nice PvP gear once you're done with the BG honor grind.

I don't get a kick out of finding the best class/spec/gear combo and spending countless hours trying to figure out all the various rock, paper and scissor class/ability scenarios you might encounter... then praying to the allmighty god of MMOs that your latency is good and your twitching abilities don't suck due to lack of sleep and too much coffee.... and then it's over almost as soon as it started. I tried, but in the end I was left with a very anti-climactic feeling of "is that it?".

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Originally posted by Faelan

The problem with arena is that it's the only way to get that nice PvP gear once you're done with the BG honor grind.
    I don't get a kick out of finding the best class/spec/gear combo and spending countless hours trying to figure out all the various rock, paper and scissor class/ability scenarios you might encounter... then praying to the allmighty god of MMOs that your latency is good and your twitching abilities don't suck due to lack of sleep and too much coffee.... and then it's over almost as soon as it started. I tried, but in the end I was left with a very anti-climactic feeling of "is that it?".

All just excuses.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Arena is the greatest feature of WoW. There is one big problem itslef - its just multiplay... Sorry thats the problem of WoW at all - missing of massive multiplay...

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by SonofSeth

All just excuses.

For?

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

You can do that, that's the thing that also shows how you have no skills, becasue if you pay, you will lose and your personal rating will suck, you will only get team rating but your personal rating will still suck.

What about resilence? Are you saying a team of 3 with all green items and 0 resilence can take down a team of 3 with all purple and over 400 resilence combined if they have more skill?

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

What about resilence? Are you saying a team of 3 with all green items and 0 resilence can take down a team of 3 with all purple and over 400 resilence combined if they have more skill?

Do you even know how the rating system works?