Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did the name "Tauren" originate in World of Warcraft?

This is an honest serious question I have read through alot of norse greek myth, and I never once have I read the words "Tauren" before in my life. I am not talking about the concepts of Tauren I mean the actual physical writing of "Tauren" in mythology. We all know of minitaurs but thats not what a Tauren is at all. So has anyone out there got some sort of document online or credible site that has Tauren listed as a part of Mythology.The reason I bring this up is a dispute for the game "Runes of Magic" which has a video of a man fighting a "Tauren" in it. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/videos/gameID/351/videoId/1281

This is his story....

Comments

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

To my knowledge I can't recall anything. I am guessing they took Taurus the bull, and the idea of Minotaurs and combined the two. They changed the word around a bit, and dropped the half human part and came up with Tauren and the idea of a full Anthromorphic bull.

Somewhat like the Charr in Guild Wars. A bipedal cat species with a name that I haven't heard off.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

taur = bull

en= in  or could be an abuse of an/ian which means from/belonging to/related to.

So the name isn't really new or orignal unless blizzard bought latin a while back.

As for anthromorphic bulls if anyone cared to look it up for a short while it wouldn't take long to find the same thing a few thousand years old, with a decent chance of having the same name.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• FrotusFrotus Member Posts: 91

Warcraft Orc Peon was stolen from Warhammer Universe if we are going to go this route.

Paladin was stolen from D&D

Hmm we could go on.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Taurine is an organic acid coming from bulls.

It's one of the main ingredients of Red Bull drink and it's called this way because it comes from the latin Taurus which means bull in latin.

I believe WoW did the same by naming the bull like race after it's latin name, and indeed looks like Blizzard created the word Tauren

• RooseveltRoosevelt Member Posts: 341

I have looked high and low, not just on web pages but also in books at my own home, no where did I find Tauren listed from any othe source. Its not Norse, Greek, North American Folk, nothing! The Word Tauren was originated from WoW, and I am sorry guys but I think its Bull (pun intended) that another game can just take the same looking model and name of a creature and get away with it.

This is his story....

• FrotusFrotus Member Posts: 91

The models are of Minotaur though.

Even WoW's Tauren is just a minotaur with a different name and some lore around how they fit into the Blizzard universe. So if they did first use latin logic to form the word, then it wasn't because they created the concept or the race. They were just the first to use latin to form the proper name so they didn't have to refer to them as Minotaur.

That would be like me calling Rat people Raten and then trying to say no one else can call rat people Raten. I guess no one other than Tolkien can call people with pointy ears that live in trees elves either.

• freeidfreeid Member Posts: 92

Arnt Taurens people born unsder the sign of Taurus the bull in the zodiac calendar?

• JessixaJessixa Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Frotus

Warcraft Orc Peon was stolen from Warhammer Universe if we are going to go this route.
    Hmm we could go on.

No game terms are 'stolen', you can't expect a different name for every class in every game.. Games simply use the name because it sounds right for the class. For example 'paladin', yes it was from D&D but you can't expect it never ever to be used again.

Jessixa <!--
    * 70 Blood elf
    * Rogue
    * Darksorrow (EU)

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by freeid

Arnt Taurens people born unsder the sign of Taurus the bull in the zodiac calendar?

Obviously "Tauren" is derived from Taurus.  WoW is a compliatioin of derived ideas, put together very well.

Nothing wrong with that.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Hmm we could go on.

I think you'll find there were Paladins during the Crusades, bit of a barney in the holy lands a few hundred years ago which probably, don't quote me, but PROBABLY predates D&D...

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

Hmm we could go on.

Orc was taken from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.  Being a bit of a nerd he didn't care for the way some of the jocks at oxford treated some of the other students.  The worst of these being the athletes from the rowing team.  The name "orc" is an anagram of "Oxford Rowing Club"

Paladin is the term for the imperial palace guard of the catholic church back in the middle ages.  Their namesake is derived from Lord Palatine (an earlier leader of their order)

I think some of us are getting a little carried away with these "rip off" accusations.

• SplatzorSplatzor Member UncommonPosts: 92

Next it will be that " insert game name here"  uses Hit pont and not health , and the next game uses health and not hit points, oh and don't forget the use of the deadly HAM to show a players total health.  Oh no this game has a UI ,  they are ripping of WoW.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by ghostinfinit

Hmm we could go on.

Orc was taken from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.  Being a bit of a nerd he didn't care for the way some of the jocks at oxford treated some of the other students.  The worst of these being the athletes from the rowing team.  The name "orc" is an anagram of "Oxford Rowing Club"

Paladin is the term for the imperial palace guard of the catholic church back in the middle ages.  Their namesake is derived from Lord Palatine (an earlier leader of their order)

I think some of us are getting a little carried away with these "rip off" accusations.

Which normally I would smile and go hey you know that sounds right, except for the fact with the whole norse mythology. I mean thats a clever way to say you concieved of the idea of the orc , but when you are taking welsh,gaelic, and norse mythos into account...

Anyhow:

Taurens are people born under the star of the bull,

Virgo's are virgo's because it's easy to state.

Now try to find a word that matches up for taurus.

Exactly.

Tauren is the only thing that one could come to mind "Taurenite" maybe but there is still "Tauren" in there.

Funny world.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

Next time theres new game and it has swords its ripping off WoW since Blizzard invented those too! Btw isnt taurin some sort of vitamin or something too?

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Thats Taurine, discussed already.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

I think WOW stole the word man from the 10 commandments??  How unoriginal of them to call humans, humans.  They should've been unique and called them something else.  Blizzard is a bunch of hacks I tells ya.

Will nerds sink any lower trying to disscredit everything Blizzard does?  I can imagine the dorks cowering over their Warhammer cards, snickering and giggling to themselves...thinking up other ways to bash Blizzard.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

I am impressed that the trolls did not ignite a flame war.

To the original topic, dont know if tauren are a blizzard invention but its used well in WoW and WC3, and I love the North American theme with totems and such,

Thunderbluff is still one of my fav cities.

• faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199

As others have said Tauren is obviously a play on Taurus. Also the classic man bull the "Minotaur" basically means Bull of Minos. The legends of the Minotaur are obviously where the idea springs from. Blizzard just dropped the location in the name.

In a gaming sense, I seem to remember that one of the AD&D Dragonlance expansion sets had a player character race that were basically Taurens. They had a very Roman look and feel to them. For the life of me I cannot remember what they were actually called.

• tetchytetchy Member Posts: 30

wow invented everything

all classes and mobs were invented by wow

the idea of character 'progression' and levels and skills and shit were invented by wow

wow invented the computer and the internet

wow invented gamers and all other people and languages... and food and water and air and stuff

if all the above is true then yes they did... if not then...

( o )( o )

Originally posted by tetchy

wow invented everything
    all classes and mobs were invented by wow
    the idea of character 'progression' and levels and skills and shit were invented by wow
    wow invented the computer and the internet
    wow invented gamers and all other people and languages... and food and water and air and stuff
    if all the above is true then yes they did... if not then...

Oh Oh Oh I spotted a Troll... can i keep him?

• bee52bee52 Member Posts: 158

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladin

Not picking fault. I just thought I'd wikipedia and see what I came up with. I was surprised!

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

Blizzard loves to steal or to modify and claim it as their own,exemples:

SC storyline - ripping heavily from 40k universe

Dwarfs - their style,habits and technology - ripped heavily from warhammer universe

Very few ideas are original ... Diablo is quite original.

Originally posted by demolishIX

Blizzard loves to steal or to modify and claim it as their own,exemples:

Please point to a post where blizzard say they 'invented'.
    SC storyline - ripping heavily from 40k universe

Show you have no idea of the SC story. the only similarities are the Marines and the Zerg.. too races that are the staple of the sci-fi genre.  And that were around way before WH40k and SC.
    Dwarfs - their style,habits and technology - ripped heavily from warhammer universe

Just so you know Warchammer did not invent dwarf, their style, accent (always scottish?) and their technology.
    Very few ideas are original ... Diablo is quite original.

• AgamemmnonAgamemmnon Member Posts: 37

well, up until know only the first tfew posters seem to have been able to answer the OPs question, let me support them:

Yes, i do think too, that Blizzard created the word Tauren in connection to a minotaur-like race, i think they did it coz the Tauren are nothing like the original Minotaurus from crete, or most of its fantasy literature derivates...

To all others, you do not discuss that for real are u? who invented dwarves and whatever lol.....

You can sum it up with the following words: MOST of modern fantasy elements are based or even just completely copied from real life mythology, legends or just plain historical events or facts (like paladins from europe medievel times, assasins (the name assin is etymological derived from saladins (sry just know the german word) Hashaschine, murderers), mages, witches  WTF?

The question is not who is stealing from whom, but who creatively adopts his "stolen goods" in a original und unique way...........This is what WOW did with minotaurs...well if nicely altered or not is opinion....

peace out

• bee52bee52 Member Posts: 158

Hey then protoss are similar to eldar as well!