Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To everyone pre-ordering MMO.

STOP IT.

If the company doesn't give you a demo or trial please stop being so obvious and manipulatable into buying something you hardly know.

We've seen it with AoC, lot's of disappointed players and you were all had.

We see it with WAR, they all pre-order the game just to be able to play beta a week before release. I can't wait till 100.000 people go on the forums to tell everyone in big bold letters they're disappointed for whatever reason.

If you stopped pre-ordering games we might be able hold companies accountable if they bring out broken games and people could vote with their wallet.

If you pre-order every MMO like a chicken little there is very little people can do when companies make a profit before the game is even launched.

YOU are the reason companies are able to release trash.

Comments

• NogginNoggin Member Posts: 808

Saw it, played it, liked it, pre-ordered it.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by InTheSea

STOP IT.
    If the company doesn't give you a demo or trial please stop being so obvious and manipulatable into buying something you hardly know.
    We see it with WAR, they all pre-order the game just to be able to play beta a week before release. I can't wait till 100.000 people go on the forums to tell everyone in big bold letters they're disappointed for whatever reason.

If you stopped pre-ordering games we might be able hold companies accountable if they bring out broken games and people could vote with their wallet.
    If you pre-order every MMO like a chicken little there is very little people can do when companies make a profit before the game is even launched.

Absolutely agreed!

Unfortunately , most of us do not posses enough self control to do it. And game companies count on this.

I myself , can not be more jaded and experienced.

And still i went and bought AOC. I just couldnt hold myself. I fall in something not unlike addict crawing

Same will be with WAR....

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

first game i ever preordered was AOC, and i didnt regret it.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

STOP IT.

People can still vote with their wallet. They can stop playing the game after the free month. There is nothing wrong with pre-ordering a game. I research a game I am going to play and if what I read and see looks good I will pre-order it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! You take a chance every time you buy a game no matter what the reviews say, it may be the best game in the world and some people still wont like it.

Almost no company offers DEMOS for an MMO. Trials usually dont come out for at least the first few months. if you want to wait that long to play a game, that is your choice. When I am awaiting a game release that I have been watching, I am not going to wait for some stupid trial to come out to play it. This is no different than buying any single player game on the market, you take your chance every time you buy any game on if its good or not. Heck I bought madden 08 for the wii last year and felt it was a 50 dollar waste due to the bugs it had and that was after all the great reviews. 

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

This isn't just MMOs or PC Games, it's video games in general. If I didn't purchase any game unless I'd played a demo/trial first, well, I wouldn't have played many games at all.

Yes, we, as the gaming collective, could all boycott and refuse to purchase any game until demos/trials are released, but what are the odds that we are ALL going to do that?

Since it's not going to happen, I'm waiting on my WAR CE preorder from Amazon.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

I don't see If enough people will follow your suggestions. And even If people follow your suggestions anything will change.

And anyway, this is a MMORPG forum.  You can't decide if a MMO is good playing the trial. You can't see if a game as EndGame based on a trial.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Teiman

I don't see If enough people will follow your suggestions. And even If people follow your suggestions anything will change.
    And anyway, this is a MMORPG forum.  You can't decide if a MMO is good playing the trial. You can't see if a game as EndGame based on a trial.

Dude. Is it worth grinding a crappy game for countless hours just to see how good the endgame is? -No

Trials are good and they work. If the game fails to hook me within the first few days, it's not my failure - it's the game's failure. I can't possibly like any game, can I?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

STOP IT.

lol @ depressed and jaded OP.

I'm really struggling to find the energy to counteract your jibberish but I'll try... by god I'll try...

aoc is a different game, by a different company, with a different target audience, with different requirements, a different engine... (registering yet?) ... with different beta testers, with a different budget....

Using your logic I have concluded that all Christians are terrorists, all cars will break down on their next journey and that Obama will start a war.

<edit> Your narrowmindedness makes me so angry that I cant type properly.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• fuzzylojikfuzzylojik Member Posts: 432

Tried WAR, liked it and pre-ordered.  Didn't try AOC tho. 

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Or players could listen to what developers are saying instead of what the players are hyping.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by grimboj

STOP IT.

lol @ depressed and jaded OP.

I'm really struggling to find the energy to counteract your jibberish but I'll try... by god I'll try...

aoc is a different game, by a different company, with a different target audience, with different requirements, a different engine... (registering yet?) ... with different beta testers, with a different budget....

Using your logic I have concluded that all Christians are terrorists, all cars will break down on their next journey and that Obama will start a war.

<edit> Your narrowmindedness makes me so angry that I cant type properly.

Why do you assume the OP played AoC? Only your post seems to be jibberish to be honest.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

I'm sorry but if any veteran MMO player can't tell within an hour, sometimes less, if the MMO has any value for them, they hardly know themselves.    Do you read 1/2 the book before realizing it sucks or watch 1/2 a movie to realize, "Hey this is kinda boring"?   To me, if the 1st chapter isn't interesting, the book isn't worth my time.  For a MMO, If the 1st hour, heck, the 1st 15 minutes doesn't make me sit up and go !!woah!!,whats the point.  MMOs don't get BETTER after a few months if they stink in the beginning.    They only get worse.  A MMO, like a movie, book or commercial should knock you socks off or at least intrigue you right from the get go.  If it doesn't, why bother. 

If a developer can't get the basics down like low level character development, good UI,  good control, stability, nice graphics, decent quests and an immersive world, they certainly can't accomplish anything else.  All the basics can be determined within minutes, a short play session, not days or months. 

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by Teiman

IMO you shouldn't hafta wait till Endgame in a MMO to see if it is good. Any MMO should be fun within the first few days. I find tho...many games can be fun n exciting at the start...then after a week or two I begin to feel the grind/bordom.

But as to the OP..I agree. The first game I ever pre-ordered has been AoC, and got the CE even! I have decided now I will not pre-order another game. I don't think I will miss much if I wait a week or two n see how reviews go.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Oh yes what developers aren't saying, that is important.

As for telling if you'll like an MMO in the first couple of hours you can only tell if you like the core mechanics or not.    Not if you'll like the whole game.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• ScarzarScarzar Member Posts: 10

haha man have u even played WAR???? LOL AOC u could tell was going ot be a disaster 2 mins into the game... WAR i played up to lvl 20 half the game NOTHING like AOC.

WAR is not trash your the trash that makes it so hard to release games that are of quality go back to trolling the DF forums dude and stop filling our heads with useless information.

WAAAAAAGH

• InTheSeaInTheSea Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by Scarzar

haha man have u even played WAR???? LOL AOC u could tell was going ot be a disaster 2 mins into the game... WAR i played up to lvl 20 half the game NOTHING like AOC.

WAR is not trash your the trash that makes it so hard to release games that are of quality go back to trolling the DF forums dude and stop filling our heads with useless information.

I never said WAR was trash, but I know a lot of people are going to be disappointed when it's not what they expected it to be, it happens in every single MMO. And if WAR does turn out to be trash you have only one person to blame when you pre-ordered it unknowingly. Not only that, you promote companies to keep doing this.

And I haven't even made one post in the Darkfall forums.

• DeadzeroDeadzero Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by Josher

I'm sorry but if any veteran MMO player can't tell within an hour, sometimes less, if the MMO has any value for them, they hardly know themselves.    Do you read 1/2 the book before realizing it sucks or watch 1/2 a movie to realize, "Hey this is kinda boring"?   To me, if the 1st chapter isn't interesting, the book isn't worth my time.  For a MMO, If the 1st hour, heck, the 1st 15 minutes doesn't make me sit up and go !!woah!!,whats the point.  MMOs don't get BETTER after a few months if they stink in the beginning.    They only get worse.  A MMO, like a movie, book or commercial should knock you socks off or at least intrigue you right from the get go.  If it doesn't, why bother. 
    If a developer can't get the basics down like low level character development, good UI,  good control, stability, nice graphics, decent quests and an immersive world, they certainly can't accomplish anything else.  All the basics can be determined within minutes, a short play session, not days or months. 

Totally agree.  I pre order any game I am interested in, because the game usually has a open beta period involved with it.  Saved me from throwing money at crap products like VG and AoC.  AoC was so bad within 2 hours I wanted too punch myself in the face, so I jumped in my car and refunded my pre order.  Then I told all my friends what a PoS it was and they thanked me later. 

As far as saying listen to the developers and not the player hype, you really show that you're not understanding the problem.  It's the developers who lie, not the player base.  Unfortunately there is this little thing called NDA during development, so the only info you can get is from developers.  Unfortunately AoC, has made all developers look like snake oil salesman and it will be a long time if ever that I trust what a developer is saying.

Btw, I paid $0.99 for my WAR pre order.  Man, they got me good.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I know what you mean. Myself, I ordered the Warhammer Collector's Edition the first day it was available. Why? Because I enjoy the Warhammer world itself, not because I trust Mythic. The game itself was secondary. I want the "stuff" because I enjoy the IP. I'll burn up the first month and see how things are, but if Mythic doesn't fix some of the deficiencies I saw in the Preview Weekend, I won't be giving them any more for some time. Mythic seems to be falling all over themselves making excuses right now and, while I'm all for honesty, it doesn't qualify Mark Jacobs for a Pulitzer or excuse hyping an unfinished product.

To some degree, it's amusing to watch all the latecomers who "just found out about WAR" scrambling to try to find a beta key so they can get for free what I was willing to pay good money for. I actually have two pre-order codes that I'm not going to use, but I'll be damned it I'll offer either of them to one of these whining parasites. I'll let them evaporate before I give them to someone I wouldn't want to play with.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• unknown22unknown22 Member Posts: 159

well said

imo, more mmo's need trials.

i don't think its fair to make you pay for something and then find out it sucks.

they don't make movies and expect you to pay to go see it without releasing trailers first.

they don't publish books without a summary on the back cover, and expect you to buy it not even knowing what the book is about (and usually you can get away with reading the first few pages inside the book store too ^^)

and i kinda agree with op.  all the mindless ppl out there pre-ordering without knowing are part of the reason why devs aren't pushing to come out with better products. as long as they're raking in cash, they're going to continue to lack the innovation, inspiration, and ingenuity necessary to create a good mmo.

war is peace
    freedom is slavery
    ignorance is strength

big brother is watching you

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

STOP IT.

I agree 100%.

To the people saying it only cost me x dollars, thats the point......

Its like rebates, you get your money back after purchase right? well a big % dont, just like preorders they count on a big % buying the game no matter what. Which is why they all dangle a little treat for you if you preorder.

You notice how smaller games let everyone in the beta? Its because they have to. Big budget/hype games only hurt there own sales by letting players in. There days are numbered though because eventually nobody will pay 50 bucks for a client you cant use without them.

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by unknown22

well said

imo, more mmo's need trials.

i don't think its fair to make you pay for something and then find out it sucks.

they don't make movies and expect you to pay to go see it without releasing trailers first.

they don't publish books without a summary on the back cover, and expect you to buy it not even knowing what the book is about (and usually you can get away with reading the first few pages inside the book store too ^^)

and i kinda agree with op.  all the mindless ppl out there pre-ordering without knowing are part of the reason why devs aren't pushing to come out with better products. as long as they're raking in cash, they're going to continue to lack the innovation, inspiration, and ingenuity necessary to create a good mmo.

Everything that a mmo company shows up untill release could be seen as a book summary or a movie trailer.

I pre-ordered the CE way back in march, and after having played both the CE CB and the PW and I am very happy with my pre-order. I get some of the cool phsycial stuff and just nice in game items too.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Blind pre order the collectors edition X 5 for everyone in the family because of what someone said on a forum then cancel 2 days after release....

FTW!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• unknown22unknown22 Member Posts: 159

im not saying that every single last person who pre-orders ends up feeling buyers remorse like never before...

yeah i'm sure there are lots of people out there who pre-order and are happy with their decision.

and sure, maybe they have a random little trailers and these so-called "screenshots" and what-not they put up, but they don't actually do the games themselves any real justice, you don't actually get to see what the real game play is like.

but regardless i still think the number of people who pre-order and end up disappointed outweighs the number of people who pre-order and love it (maybe not by much, but still..)

war is peace
    freedom is slavery
    ignorance is strength

big brother is watching you

• AKxALLxDAYAKxALLxDAY Member Posts: 70

SOOO you are saying i FAIL! while i look at my WAR preorder box! so when u try it and im already rank 40 and ill be Ganking you because ur rank 20 because you didnt get a head start i will have the last laugh! ....jk i agree kinda look at AoC it had lots of reservers and months later many people would say its dieing SHAME SHAME I CALL SHANAGINS!

Playing:
    WoW Sentanced Level 80 DK
    GW Eazy A K Level 20 W/N
    DF Max Pain Dwarf
    Played:
    KO EVE SL RS WAR RoM EQ1 Allods OI
    Waiting for:
    Cataclysm
    Diablo 3
    APB!!!
    GW2

• YarosYaros Member Posts: 280

I hate videogames and want them to die, so I just preordered WAR.