Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamer's Bill of Rights

Comments

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Originally posted by tvalentine

I agree wit a lot of these rights, unfortuantly a lot of gamers are too dim to do the same, PC gaming has gone down, because they have relied heavily on the patch process, because patching is so acceptable they are testing the water on what is an acceptable ommisison at launch. Vanguard left out their player models, age of conan left out the DX10 engine support, warhammer basically did a lot of false advertising.

LOL pc gaming gone down? Are you high? PC Gaming and gaming in general is the highest its ever been, your just making wrong assumptions

Ive played every game that ha scome out in the past 6 years, if you think pc gaming this year is the highest its ever been, you are the one who is clearly delusional.

Name one PC game that was good and not just a graphical cock tease, focusing on looks and nothing else.

Spore, Fallout 3, Possibly DFO, Sins of a solar empire, just to name a few.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Originally posted by Angelbound

Please thats not why, its because the companys want sales it was an excuse so they can look good while doing it in some form justifying what they are doing but that is far from there intentions trust me.
    And we should not have to pay for what the pc community has done in the past in the first place.

in the past? its still happening ....

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

I agree wit a lot of these rights, unfortuantly a lot of gamers are too dim to do the same, PC gaming has gone down, because they have relied heavily on the patch process, because patching is so acceptable they are testing the water on what is an acceptable ommisison at launch. Vanguard left out their player models, age of conan left out the DX10 engine support, warhammer basically did a lot of false advertising.

LOL pc gaming gone down? Are you high? PC Gaming and gaming in general is the highest its ever been, your just making wrong assumptions

Ive played every game that ha scome out in the past 6 years, if you think pc gaming this year is the highest its ever been, you are the one who is clearly delusional.

Name one PC game that was good and not just a graphical cock tease, focusing on looks and nothing else.

You haven't played Spore, Fallout 3, or DFO. So I don't quite understand why you feel they are useable examples of good PC games.

It's obtuse to use those as examples, and that's putting it mildly. That's like saying Duke Nukem Forever will be a shining example of polish and gameplay... maybe that's a little over the top, but you get the picture.

Originally posted by Kryogenic

You haven't played Spore, Fallout 3, or DFO. So I don't quite understand why you feel they are useable examples of good PC games.

It's obtuse to use those as examples, and that's putting it mildly. That's like saying Duke Nukem Forever will be a shining example of polish and gameplay... maybe that's a little over the top, but you get the picture.

i can alrdy tell im going to enjoy it, when they come out ill pm you and say i was wrong. But watching the videos and reading about, these games are alrdy going to be great.

• InTheSeaInTheSea Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by Jenneroflok

As someone who started playing computer games on an IBM PCjr that I bought within a few weeks of it's release and has been playing all type of Computer games Since Wizardry 1.  I can tell you, short of a 100% boycott of the industry none of those demands will be adopted by the industry as a whole. 

WRONG. When players get sick of unfinished content the company gets a reputation hit. Funcom is a good example.

PC gamers will start to demand better and better games it's just a matter of people speaking up and not accepting bad or unfinished games.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

True but I think people would be less likely do it if people felt the games are actually worth the money in the first place, past experiences with alot of unfinished games and drive a person to pirate easily, maybe if people would stop feeling ripped off then pirating would  go down some maybe even half.

Man if only I could get that game from my friend, he cannot find it but I loaned it to him long ago and now I cant even finish it, his apt is just a mess thats all.

• DloreDlore Member UncommonPosts: 462

Eh, this will never come true, the jackass company has too many lawyers...

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

11. )  Players shall have their rights lost once they go carebear and start whining on game forums about features that are currently in the game.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

That made no sense whatsoever, im sick and tired of this carebear term. Thats fine if some of you want hardcore pvp but I dont go around finding a nickname for you just because we have differant tastes in our mmorpgs.

In fact many of us so called carebears like pvp but without all the winning for ego and power crap we just like the challenge and playing against a real person, for example I always bowed in wow and people never got why, and I would tell them good job and all they do is cry at me because a gnome mage beat there human priest or whatever.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by rawRzorz

It wasn't released this year, however Half Life 2 is in my opinion an excellant game, and its not a game focusing on looks.

I respect valve, and half life 2, unfortuantly if falls outside of the parameters ive set...

Thanks for saving me the trouble on this one. Im going to guess that DFO is darkfall online(i hate when people are too lazy to type out full names) Which i am going to say, i would be surprised if this game seen the light of day before 2010, it doesnt count, as this game is very much vaporeware, and yes ive seen the uploaded earlier this week.

You can put spore or fallout 3 in the category yet, you havent played them, and while you bought the marketing, it doesnt mean instant hit. I paid in full for warhammer online, doesnt change the fact that i dont plan on buying it anymore today, and playing the game weighted heavily on that decision.

I also played solar empire, you wouldve had a better chance using company of heroes, at least i wouldve agreed with that.

Spore has already fucked up, or do you know not know how DRM works? Maybe you should read up on that form anti piracy protection, because if you knew what DRM was, you would understand the reason for rule #6.

And even if its game play is good, 1 game out of hundreds doesnt make it pc best gaming year.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Thanks for saving me the trouble on this one. Im going to guess that DFO is darkfall online(i hate when people are too lazy to type out full names) Which i am going to say, i would be surprised if this game seen the light of day before 2010, it doesnt count, as this game is very much vaporeware, and yes ive seen the uploaded earlier this week.

You can put spore or fallout 3 in the category yet, you havent played them, and while you bought the marketing, it doesnt mean instant hit. I paid in full for warhammer online, doesnt change the fact that i dont plan on buying it anymore today, and playing the game weighted heavily on that decision.

I also played solar empire, you wouldve had a better chance using company of heroes, at least i wouldve agreed with that.

Spore has already fucked up, or do you know not know how DRM works? Maybe you should read up on that form anti piracy protection, because if you knew what DRM was, you would understand the reason for rule #6.

And even if its game play is good, 1 game out of hundreds doesnt make it pc best gaming year.

you said games for this year, never said if they were released or not. And BTW DFO has a release date set for 2008, im not a fanboi but im not a troll either for this game. And COH came out before this year, if you want i can list you more games that i have in general not just reduced to 2008 alone.

Spore didnt fuck up, maybe you should go to the OT section and read the thread with my post and you'll understand my stance on that.

EDIT: also, heres some proof. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/195740

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by Torak

You know what "rights" you have?
    You have the right not to buy a game. You have the ability to act like a responsible consumer and research a game before you spend money on it.
    You have the "right" not to listen to advertising and fanboi hype and read reviews and articles about the game.
    You have the "right" not to a blind fanboi if you chose and be objective about what you spend your money on.
    You have the "right" NOT to pre-order.
    You have the "right" to play something else if you don't like any aspect of a game.
    EDIT
    You have the "right" to try demos and free trials if they are available before you purchase a game and to NOT buy a game that doesn't have one.

Gamers bill of rights, whatever. Companies only care about ONE thing, your money. They could give a flying f**k about a bill of rights to make you the consumer happy. As long as gamers continue to act like f**king consumer knotheads, companies will continue to do what they want.
    Go ahead, pre-order something else.
    "Age of Generic Evergrind in World of Horizons: Battle for the Lineage of the Burning Sea Saga Edition",is coming out soon. It comes with a free "sucker born every minute hat" for every character you make that gives you a +0.01 to your Wisdom score...and a map...and something shiny.

i totally agree, i dont know why people want more of these "rights", what we have now is sufficient and people need to quit complaining.

You know whats funny? The "rights" that thing is asking for, much of it was caused by players pirating games to begin with  like the limited downloads / installs, the intrusive software, the online varification for singleplayer modes, the required internet connections, disk in the drive...

The PC gaming community did this to themselves. Its estimated that something like 80% of PC games being played online are pirated copies.

And players wonder why companies always try for consoles and PC's are always last in line for everything.

It's also been going on in some form or fashion for decades.

How many here remember having to type in a word from the instruction manual when installing games from 4.25" or 3.5" disks?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

the gamer's bill of rights shouldn't be that hard to implement... if everyone speaks with their wallets.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

you said games for this year, never said if they were released or not. And BTW DFO has a release date set for 2008, im not a fanboi but im not a troll either for this game. And COH came out before this year, if you want i can list you more games that i have in general not just reduced to 2008 alone.

Spore didnt fuck up, maybe you should go to the OT section and read the thread with my post and you'll understand my stance on that.

EDIT: also, heres some proof. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/195740

Perhaps you should read my post on DRM... www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2232506#2232506

darkfalls release date is set for 2008.. so is heros journey, whats your point?

City of heroes has been out for 4 years...try again.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

1) This Bill of Rights was not made by a Gamer, but by a SOFTWARE COMPANY, so do not all go treating it like "no company will ever uphold these" as Stardock already is, considering THEY made them. Also this is not the work of some solo dude, but of a whole company and all their partners (Stardock publish a lot of indie products, all working with no cd keys protection and all can be downloaded as many times as you want from their stardock progam, all protected by account and password of course)

2) The video gaming industry is THE ONLY ONE where potential customers are treated like criminals. Innocent until proven guilty is the main point on which western judicial system works but the video games companies do not seem to care.

3) if a pirate wants to pirate, HE WILL! copy protection does not prevent that! This has been proven over and over and still companies implement more draconic ways of protections that hurt the legitimate user more than anything (see the latest Mass Effect and Spore PC games for a proof)

4) Piracy always existed, why is that? 2 motives. convenience and cost. Games costs quite much and it is much more convenient to download something from the net than to go out, try to find the game you want and then be abused by these copy protection systems. Digital downloads with an account, like Steam or Stardock, are the way to kill piracy or at least to lessen it a lot. Yes, this would hurt the retailers a lot and that is why you do not see more of this being done but there must be a way to have retailers remain while implementing this, not everyone wants to download gigs of product every day, but an online account system, similar as MMorpg have, would work and mantain the retailers... of course it would kill the second hand games market that is what Retailers live on, but that market would remain for Consoles games that is what most retailers make their money on anyhow.

5) To all those that do not want these rights, fine, be my guest, you do not HAVE to use them, but I do not see ANY reason why people should whine about getting MORE rights, unless you like having half baked software that does not work installing malware on your computer.

I just have to say, Goodjob Stardock! It would be due time that the rest of the videogame industry wake up.

PS: Stardock are the makers of great games like Galactic Civilizations 2, Sins of a Solar empire and they also distributes games like Disciples 2, another excellent turn based game.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Perhaps you should read my post on DRM... www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2232506#2232506

darkfalls release date is set for 2008.. so is heros journey, whats your point?

City of heroes has been out for 4 years...try again.

yeah again 3 installs isnt anything for me to get angry or upset about

you called DFO vaporware that would be released in 2010, just thought i would correct you.

It still stands though, PC Gaming is not going down.

• TuxideTuxide Member UncommonPosts: 213

Now that I read it, come to think of it this thing looks like a dumbed down version of the ACM or IEEE Code of Ethics. With a few things that are domain-specific, that is and quite a few things that are lacking.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

Here's my version:

1)  Gamers shall have the right to do research and read reviews before they buy games.

2)  Gamers shall have the right to vote with their wallets.

3)  Gamers shall have the right to file complaints with the BBB.

4)  Gamers shall have the right to let other people know.

5)  Gamers shall have the right to play the demo first.

6)  Gamers shall have the right to wait a month or two after the release of an MMORPG before buying it. 

7)  Gamers shall have the right to try and use their credit card companies' charge back systems.

8)  Gamers shall have the right only to play games made by reputable game companies.

9)  Gamers shall have the right to try pirated copies of games before buying them...unless they get caught.

10)  Gamers shall have the right to go outside and play sports...sports don't have bugs.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084
    Originally posted by Volkmar

1) This Bill of Rights was not made by a Gamer, but by a SOFTWARE COMPANY, so do not all go treating it like "no company will ever uphold these" as Stardock already is, considering THEY made them. Also this is not the work of some solo dude, but of a whole company and all their partners (Stardock publish a lot of indie products, all working with no cd keys protection and all can be downloaded as many times as you want from their stardock progam, all protected by account and password of course)
    Do Indie devs really have any other choice?
    2) The video gaming industry is THE ONLY ONE where potential customers are treated like criminals. Innocent until proven guilty is the main point on which western judicial system works but the video games companies do not seem to care.
    The what are those funny plastic tags that are pinned to all the merchandise I ever buy in a store?  For that matter, why do stores lock up at night when no one is around?  I mean, most people would like to be able to buy shoes at 10 o'clock on Sunday if they need to, and would be happy to leave money on the counter.
    3) if a pirate wants to pirate, HE WILL! copy protection does not prevent that! This has been proven over and over and still companies implement more draconic ways of protections that hurt the legitimate user more than anything (see the latest Mass Effect and Spore PC games for a proof)
    Copy protection may not prevent professional or advanced piracy, but it does prevent casual piracy, like where you make a copy of a disc and give it to your friend so he doesn't have to buy it.  This can be a significant source of lost profits for game companies.
    4) Piracy always existed, why is that? 2 motives. convenience and cost. Games costs quite much and it is much more convenient to download something from the net han to go out, try to find the game you want and then be abused by these copy protection systems. Digital downloads with an account, like Steam or Stardock, are the way to kill piracy or at least to lessen it a lot. Yes, this would hurt the retailers a lot and that is why you do not see more of this being done but there must be a way to have retailers remain while implementing this, not everyone wants to download gigs of product every day, but an online account system, similar as MMorpg have, would work and mantain the retailers... of course it would kill the second hand games market that is what Retailers live on, but that market would remain for Consoles games that is what most retailers make their money on anyhow.
    Who the hell cares about retailers.  Do you really think anyone gives a crap if some huge corporation can't make a profit by wasting your gas to sell you a useless box?  Name one video game retailer that you wouldn't gladly push under a bus.
    5) To all those that do not want these rights, fine, be my guest, you do not HAVE to use them, but I do not see ANY reason why people should whine about getting MORE rights, unless you like having half baked software that does not work installing malware on your computer.
    I just have to say, Goodjob Stardock! It would be due time that the rest of the videogame industry wake up.
    PS: Stardock are the makers of great games like Galactic Civilizations 2, Sins of a Solar empire and they also distributes games like Disciples 2, another excellent turn based game.

• JessixaJessixa Member Posts: 45

Can i add another rule?

-Gamers shouldn't moan about anything because developing and releasing a game isn't as easy as you think, and should be grateful for what they get because other people spend time making and releasing them for the gamers pleasure.

Jessixa <!--
    * 70 Blood elf
    * Rogue
    * Darksorrow (EU)

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by Jessixa

Can i add another rule?
    -Gamers shouldn't moan about anything because developing and releasing a game isn't as easy as you think, and should be grateful for what they get because other people spend time making and releasing them for the gamers pleasure.

And another:

- Gamers have to kiss the developers and distributors ass every Saturday, and serve in their houses when they have friends, to show how grateful they are for them developing games.

- Gamers will do the same for the creators of motorcycles, cars, TV sets, MP3 players, houses, hotels, roads, dresses, jeans, glasses, bycicles, skates, movie theaters, movies, songs, paintings and sex toys.

- Gamers shall not complain and will only  be allowed to say how great games, and the other products, are unless they are able to actually create a better version of the game or product they dare to criticize. If they fail to do so, they will be publicly whipped.

I agree with that but thats not what we are talking about, we are talking about unfinished games this has nothing to do with the challenge and depth of the games bud.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

i think these rights could easily be summed up in 3 "rights"

1. gamers have the right to over hype and flame hate on any given game.

2. gamers have the right to be sorely dissapointed in every aspect of every game

3. gamers have the right to stop playing any given game and start playing any given diffrent game at anytime.

or was this suppose to be a developers bill of rights?

1. developers have the right to create the holy grail of all mmos

2. developers have the right to create crap and call it the holy grail of all game

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by rikilii

Originally posted by Volkmar

The what are those funny plastic tags that are pinned to all the merchandise I ever buy in a store?  For that matter, why do stores lock up at night when no one is around?  I mean, most people would like to be able to buy shoes at 10 o'clock on Sunday if they need to, and would be happy to leave money on the counter.
    Copy protection may not prevent professional or advanced piracy, but it does prevent casual piracy, like where you make a copy of a disc and give it to your friend so he doesn't have to buy it.  This can be a significant source of lost profits for game companies.
    Who the hell cares about retailers.  Do you really think anyone gives a crap if some huge corporation can't make a profit by wasting your gas to sell you a useless box?  Name one video game retailer that you wouldn't gladly push under a bus.

1) are you serious or are you just pulling my leg here? you compare copy protection to the plastic tags in shops? Those are to prevent stealing, they do not hurt you as a customer! they do not lessen the quality of the product at all! You buy it, you pay, you get rid of the tag, done!

The copy protection would be like that if you try to use the latest t-shirt you just bought on your sewing machine, it stops working!

And the night openings? that has NOTHING to do with people being considered criminals and ALL about people not wanting to work when it is 22 o'clock. Not to mention labor laws and the like. But hey, go to this wonderful site called www.amazon.com and guess what? you can place an order even at 00:00!

2)Yeah! I can see it happening in EA boards of director "Sirs.... here are the latest date on piracy... 80% of it is professional piracy from the internet.... 15% is people buying copied disks and 5% is friends loaning each other games" "LET'S HIT THE 5%!"

Beside.... NOTHING stops those friend to download a modified exe from even legittimate sites as many people cannot suffer the "cd must be in the drive" limitation. But honestly? Copy protection done to hurt friends loaning games? seems absurd to me!

3)You might not care about retailers, but publishers surely do! What I meant is that publishers might even want to create a bigger digital download distribution system, as that would cut down a lot of costs, but they cannot simply ignore giants like GameStop that would fight really hard against such a system as it put them out of the market.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"