Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I miss first person combat in games like everquest.

AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I dont know if eq2 does it I dont they do I didnt play it very long but I miss the first person combat it helps me feel more involved in the game its so much easier for me to enjoy if they have first person combat like that.

Now of course some people prefer third person and now days with constant mobs around you its hard to use first person combat. If anyone knows of any games like this please share.

Comments

• InTheSeaInTheSea Member Posts: 141

I hate games where it's much more beneficial to play in 3rd person. In EQ you usually play 1st person and switch to 3rd.

Asian games seem to love 3rd person view. Guild wars uses it too and that's the thing I hate most about guild wars.

I don't feel like I'm really part of the world if the camera is in 3rd person view.

• RooseveltRoosevelt Member Posts: 341

I agree with you sir! There is only one other game I have seen use it to its potential and that was Vanguard. Only thing is the turning in vanguard was very akward so it hindered it greatly. Still they did a good job with it and it added alot to the game.

This is his story....

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Originally posted by Angelbound
    I dont know if eq2 does it I dont they do I didnt play it very long but I miss the first person combat it helps me feel more involved in the game its so much easier for me to enjoy if they have first person combat like that.
    Now of course some people prefer third person and now days with constant mobs around you its hard to use first person combat. If anyone knows of any games like this please share.

Most games allow you to zoom into first person. :)

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Exactly they dont feel like online games, they feel like single player games, im ok with third person games on single player because the gameplay is usally excellent and the third person view is truly needed, but in a mmorpg I dont think so there should be an option to do both.

I wish vangaurd had a feel trial, or even final fantasy online I think they might have first person view to.

Im guessing you never played eq or you never did in first person, in eq they had animations like in oblivion you would see your hands and weapons move as you use actions or even auto attack for that matter and your whole body would move to attack so it felt more intuitive and more involved.

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Im guessing you never played eq or you never did in first person, in eq they had animations like in oblivion you would see your hands and weapons move as you use actions or even auto attack for that matter and your whole body would move to attack so it felt more intuitive and more involved.
    Boo double post.

I don't specifically remember everquest (I rarely played it and by extension barely played in first person.), I think most games should add that because it was certainly cool in morrowind/oblivion.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

i really hate first person view...especially in pvp

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

It is deffinatly cool, it helps the player escape into there mmo for a little while with more involvement. You can actually feel like your really roleplaying into a game rather is ship based or character based.

Well you see it on online shooters all the time and it can work quite well if you do it right so there is no reason to dislike it, im just saying to many games limit to only third person view with crappy first person view, there needs to be a game avaialble for those of us who want fpv.

• pbachucksterpbachuckster Member Posts: 3

I'm playing EQ1 again, because there's nothing else better to play, Vanguard, AoC, WAR, WoW, totally blew. I will stick with EQ until they shut the servers down lol

Well you see it on online shooters all the time and it can work quite well if you do it right so there is no reason to dislike it, im just saying to many games limit to only third person view with crappy first person view, there needs to be a game avaialble for those of us who want fpv.

it only works for me in shooters..apart from that its not for me.

darckfall will apparently be first person view...if does come out...

• dreadondreadon Member Posts: 27

Ah the good old days of first person EQ. I played that game for 3 months before i even learned that it had a 3rd person view and still never used it. 

I just realised why so many other MMO games fail at their 1st person view and your right it is the simple fact that you cant see your hands or your weapon infront of you. never realy thought of why i hated the other games in FP until now.  I know i would use FPV more oftern with just that one feature added. Although i do agrea that in PvP 3rd is better.

Thats fine if it isnt for you friend im just saying if its done right then you might enjoy it, yea I also played for I think 5 months before I knew there was a third person view lol.

Thats fine if it isnt for you friend im just saying if its done right then you might enjoy it, yea I also played for I think 5 months before I knew there was a third person view lol.

iv never played a first person view mmorpg so if its done well i might like it..lol ...you never know hehe

but i will probably get motion sickness :p i have a weak stomach...

good luck in your quest for a fpv mmorpg :)

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

I agree.

I play EQ 1 now, and I love the First Person Perspective in gameplay.  It makes the environment and world feel more real.

I agree that games that make 3rd person perspective beneficial suck.  It is like forcing you to do that.

I really wish I could get back into eq1 you guys are lucky I just cant seem to want to, the graphics are very dated, the community is probably alot less then it use to be. And its just not the sane anymore.

Thanks, I hope I find it to.

I really wish I could get back into eq1 you guys are lucky I just cant seem to want to, the graphics are very dated, the community is probably alot less then it use to be. And its just not the sane anymore.

they have updated the charecter models and the newer areas look pretty decent. its been udated well imo :) but the interface really sucks...bigges flaw in the game...

I tried to get back into recently on the free trial it still looked horrible to me no offense of course, I dont even remember my old account name or password it has my high level bard on it which was my main ive yet to find a class I like better though.

Maybe minstrel in lotro if I stick around after the free trial hehe.

I tried to get back into recently on the free trial it still looked horrible to me no offense of course, I dont even remember my old account name or password it has my high level bard on it which was my main ive yet to find a class I like better though.

Maybe minstrel in lotro if I stick around after the free trial hehe.

lol :) np hehe

well good luck with lotro.

maybe try vanguard....i hear thats what all ex-eq love :)

but no fpv though :)

If it had a free trial I would for sure but checked the website 2 days ago I believe and no trial.

Thanks though.

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

You people can't even stay on topic for three pages.

Anyone played Morrowind?

In that game you can alter from third person view to first person view with the click of a button and it works great imho so you can just chose whats best for you.

When walking up and down stairs and being close to ledges and such I chose the third person view because otherwise I could die from a nasty fall.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

The FP mode in EQ, stunk by the way, just like the 3rd person mode in Oblivion made me uninstall the game almost instantly. 

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

I expect any quality RPG game both MMOG and single box, to provide both first person and 3rd person view options. I could never handle 3rd person only, it's not immersive enough, but sometimes you need the overhead view to see things that first person doesn't allow.

• ReijnReijn Member UncommonPosts: 26

For me, i was a bard in EQ1 i always played zoomed out as far as i could, needed to see what i was kiting and to swap targets easyer, i even played same camara with my SHM i kited him sometimes too lol, only time i went First person was in tight spaces, dungeons and the likes

-------------------------------------
    -=:Sometimes "The Majority" Only Means All The Fools Are On The Same Side.:=-