Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game showing up in every gaming magazine?

brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

I notice that either ads or "reviews" for this game keep showing up in most of the gaming magazines that involve PC games in any way.  It's amazing how the "developers" of this game are trying to shove it down everyone's throat, and the "articles" that are showing up don't really tell the whole truth about the game and its pricing/subscription methods.

My opinion is that it's a fairly sneaky and underhanded method to fool players into thinking the game is easily played for free.  While this is partially true, they require comparably large fees at later levels to continue playing even the most basic aspects of the game.  It seems that some of these "media" outlets are too easily willing to compromise their journalistic integrity for some quick Asian currency.

Comments

• ragnarokekragnarokek Member Posts: 134

i couldnt agree with you more. one example is ten ton hammer's website. its virtually plastered with this game's adverts and guess what? its constantly in  their top 10 f2p mmorpg list. i guess integrity isnt a priority in cyber journalism.

but all their ads wont help their game, it just creates awareness and some of those who saw their ad may try their so-called free game, i doubt that they would continue shelling out money into this game. just like me, i tried it out for a week, realized i wont get suckered to put my hard earned $$$ into this game that acts as free to play but actually isnt.

if i want to pay, id go play AoC or warcraft

if i want it free, well there are tons of real f2p's out there that wont try to scam me out of my money

• tammyphantomtammyphantom Member Posts: 3

The game is f2p. But, if you would like special features then you have to use Nexon Cash for them. The use of Nexon Cash is actually optional. Although, Nexon  Cash is very useful because of all the good offers they come with..you don't really need them. I didn't need Nexon Cash but I did win some from a contest that the producers in the game made but I already spent it all. But, that doesn't want to make me go get some more. I already lasted about 5 months without Nexon Cash in this game alone and I am doing perfectly fine.

• WinterfreshWinterfresh Member Posts: 73

Heh, I'm surprised that someone mentioned this since I was thinking of it too, but when I looked, the truth was that it was only plastered in Play and PC Gamer. The latter is also the only one to publish a review for the game (it got a 7, so your accusations of payola are unfounded), and even that was a reprint from Games Radar months ago. I think it's because we don't often see anime-styled ads for free, little Korean games that it stands out so much. If you visit New York, there's a billboard for Kart Rider in Times Square!

Ragnarokek, I've never seen a Mabinogi ad on TenTonHammer, and while you stated that it's constantly at the top of their best F2P list, you neglected to mention that it's a weekly feature intended to show you which games are worth sticking around in after the honeymoon period. Almost every game on the list stays on it and the only time they're removed is when a new, better game bumps it off, like when Mythos took over the top spot, though it will probably be bumped off soon since the developer of it is now bankrupt. Also, if you don't think Mabinogi is a good game, what is? The feature is open to submissions. You mentioned that you'd rather play AoC and World of Warcraft. Obviously, Mabinogi is a very different game from those, and if you didn't like Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing, you probably won't like Mabinogi.

• karatecrazykaratecrazy Member Posts: 1

Well personally I find it a great game and it should be in  all the magazines

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

What is the difference between the p2p model or the f2p in this instance?

I've been playing Mabinogi forever now.

Raylan of Ruairi . I am total level 217 so I've put my time in.

I've probally spent about 70 bucks total.

I'd of spent that or more with a p2p game.

You have the option, OPTION to play for free and do just fine, a friend of mine never has rebirthed* and is currently level 67, she does great.

You need no service, they just add to the game.

When it comes down to it item shops etc are the same as p2p only you have an option.

To me Mabinogi is more than just a free to play mmo, to me mabinogi is my red headed replacement to a mmo I loved to death, UO.

The depth in Mabinogi BLOWS the doors off the mmo's out currently with terms of depth and scope.

It's not the f2p that drew me to mabi, it was the game.

Broke ass people need to stop playing mmo's or stop complaining because at the end of the day p2p and f2p always cost money.

*Rebirth is to start over your char with skills and good intact effectively making it easier to level up

• GensouGensou Member UncommonPosts: 1

Greatest game in history of MMOs.

Beats all other MMOs like WoW, GW, etc.

• SusanooSusanoo Member Posts: 2

There are NO f2p mmo's in the web.

Every mmo that claims to be f2p will in some way force you to either quit or to pay for it more or less.

The start is always easy in those games, because its more probably that you pay after you've been on there for a while and found friends'n' fun.

And in any way Mabinogi is pretty much the best of those f2p compared to the little "necessary" luxus you should pay for. (rebirth every now and then)

Compared to i.e. Rapplez, in which you need the so called "StaminaSaver", which cost unreasonable amounts of money, to really have a chance to lvl up on higher lvls.

Someone mentioned WoW and GW.... (BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA)

well... no comment... XD

• deadsun7deadsun7 Member Posts: 112

unfortunately no game is f2p at this point so far i've tried most of them and the only ones i've seen that is possible to get to a high lvl without cash shop items are

A) Maplestory (OMG yes maplestory from neck-son) simply because only one item effects your lvling and it effects it DRAMATICLY not to were its just bareable.

B) Albatross 18 (not listed on this site) because this game is ALL skill, the worst player could have the best items in the game and would still be the worst player.

C) Cabal although this game doesn't really require you pay money and its fairly easy to lvl i don't like the graphics and the play is a bit borring.

so basicly maplestory stays at the top of my f2p game list, i haven't tried many p2p games simply because some of them don't allow free trials. World of Warcraft being the top P2P game on my list although i find late game to be borring.

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!