Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW DL time....very painful.

sonicwhipsonicwhip Member UncommonPosts: 117

so my mom just told me that she will pay $15 dollars a month for me to play wow so i decided to see how the game is first so i made an account for the 10-day free trial...but im a little troubled by what i thought would only take a few minutes...i started downloading world of warcraft and i have left my computer on for 2 days straight(might be 3 days) and only 27% of the game has been downloaded..seeing that im predicting that for the entire game to download it will probably take me about week until i can play.

so umm just out of curiosity isnt there anything i can do right now that will speed up the download process because i really dont wanna leave my computer on for a week im afraid i might fry the motherboard(whatever that is) and now as i typed up this post it went from 27 percent to 28 percent...umm yay...whatever.

Comments

• Kuji-KiriKuji-Kiri Member Posts: 170

I believe there was an option to disable peer to peer. Do it..?

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

The blizzard P2P downlader is slowwwwwwwwww.

Where are you downloadin the game from? AFAIK the 10/14 day trial is a small download and the rest is streamed to you as you play. info here http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=20590

Ah you need to have a good internet connection for the streaming client.. obviously you dont.

What is the TryWOW streaming trial client?

The TryWOW streaming trial client is a new offering that allows for a short up-front download of the game. While playing, the remaining game data streams in the background. This allows those with a fast enough internet connection to jump into the free trial more quickly.

After you create a trial account, you will be prompted to download the game. At this time, the application will detect your internet connection speed and, if your connection meets minimum requirements, you will automatically download the "streaming" World of Warcraft game client. If your connection speed is below the minimum requirement, you will be prompted to download the full game in order to play the FREE trial. The streaming trial loads data in the background while you play, and needs certain connection speeds in order for the play experience to work correctly. Please keep in mind that, with the streaming client, you will occasionally experience brief pauses in the gameplay due to this background loading. If you decide you want to download the full version of the game client, even if your connection speeds are high enough for the streaming trial,

Bare in mind download fro anywhere other than blizzard will mean you will have to download patches and so on.

but : http://www.fileplanet.com/163517/160000/fileinfo/World-of-Warcraft---Free-Trial

wow patches: www.gamershell.com/pc/world_of_warcraft/downloads.html

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

You could of course just go buy the game, you can pick up the original now for around £8 ($15) with the first month of play free and you will have the cd's/dvd's which will not only load faster they will be a good solid backup for any time in the future you need to re-load the game. Of course you would have to buy the expansion later when you level up that far, but you can also get the battlechest edition for around $33 which includes the original, expansion and both strategy guides and again the first month free.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• fennec12fennec12 Member Posts: 52

Or if you have a friend that playes WoW, simply have him burn his "World of Warcraft" folder unto a dvd (might take a few discs since it's about 10Gb) or copy it to a flashdisk. Then copy the files onto your computer. You could also share the folder over LAN an get it that way if you are on a network.

The game doesn't need to be installed. You just need the files... You can even place the folder anywhere you want.

ps. The client have NO information about creditcard or passwords so it is safe to do this. It only remembers the last username used to login, if that option was checked at the loginscreen.

• TeamFortressTeamFortress Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by fennec12

Or if you have a friend that playes WoW, simply have him burn his "World of Warcraft" folder unto a dvd (might take a few discs since it's about 10Gb) or copy it to a flashdisk. Then copy the files onto your computer. You could also share the folder over LAN an get it that way if you are on a network.
    The game doesn't need to be installed. You just need the files... You can even place the folder anywhere you want.
    ps. The client have NO information about creditcard or passwords so it is safe to do this. It only remembers the last username used to login, if that option was checked at the loginscreen.

Now this is the inforamtion that we need on our forums. !!!!

Kill the WAR trolls i'd say. Tx fennec12 !!!!

• RavendasRavendas Member Posts: 19

Ok Last time i installed the game after a complete HD wipe it still took 6 hours to patch after installing both the box sets, so don't get over excited about a fast patching or game download system, the game in it's current form sits at an unhealthy  9.978.000 MB on my pc nearly 10 GB.

Blizzard should think about Patch content in the WoTLK box for those who have or don't have the BC expansion.People won't keep on patching a game that takes so long to get up and running they will just move on to something new like WAR with less hassle.

• sonicwhipsonicwhip Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Originally posted by jason_webb

You could of course just go buy the game, you can pick up the original now for around £8 ($15) with the first month of play free and you will have the cd's/dvd's which will not only load faster they will be a good solid backup for any time in the future you need to re-load the game. Of course you would have to buy the expansion later when you level up that far, but you can also get the battlechest edition for around $33 which includes the original, expansion and both strategy guides and again the first month free.

your right i think im just gonna go buy the game at gamestop which is so close to my house i can walk there =) with a cd on my computer it will probably take only 3 hours to download but client downloading takes way longer since my network kinda opposes that with some different type of router networking crap that slows DL speed.

so thanks im just gonna go buy the cd now

• sonicwhipsonicwhip Member UncommonPosts: 117

well i just went to gamestop and bought the box for 20 bucks and its loading much much faster now its at 41% and its going up fast unlike the client download, and i get 30 days for free =).

so a mod can close this thread if they want my question is answered. thanks