Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XI: Correspondent: Quests for the Gil Seeker

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Final Fantasy XI Correspondent Herbie Grate writes this guide for players looking to make a quick buck (or gil as the case may be)in FFXI.

Few other MMORPGs on the market today have as much of a rigorous system for the acquisition of wealth as Final Fantasy XI. Gil (the game’s currency) is difficult to collect and is very quickly spent on equipment that is essential to advancement. In fact, for jobs that aren’t as combat savvy as Dark Knights or Warriors, farming items to sell for gil can be incredibly time consuming or almost seemingly impossible. Indeed, collecting a large amount of gil in Final Fantasy XI can sometimes seem like the old conundrum; "Can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job."

Read the article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• KazeKaze Member Posts: 55

Good guide but you left out some important info.

Levels, generally people just starting the game are the ones in need of gil. Completing "a feather in ones cap" at beginner state is not gonna happen. And the list goes on, you wrote a guide for people who have already been playing the game for some time, if they don't know how and where to make gil they should probably go to another MMO.

All in all good guide.

• philipzamphilipzam Member Posts: 4

I laughed so hard..

If you need gil, this is NOT the way to go. Atleast not if you want the most gil/hour.

Fist of all, the angelstone and the deathstone rewards are part of the storyline, which everyone eventually will have/want to do and so they WILL get the rewards.

This is like saying a great way to make gil is to do all the Rank missions, sure it will net you more than 500.000 gil, but this is something everyone will do eventually anyways, but its not time efficeient, you dont do this for gil, its for a higher purpose. 

OK, so I think the tips were worthless. What to do then?

Well, In the last year we have seen prices drop alot on some of the essential gear. Ill take an example but this is true for more or less everything on the auction house.

1 year ago you could buy/sell a Haubergeon for approx. 3.5 Million on the AH.  It is now approx. 300.000gil.Thats 1/10th of the orginal price a year ago.

1 year ago you could buy/sell a stack of Beastman Blood for 75.000 gil. Now is approx 25.000. Thats a pricedrop of only 1/3rd.

So, ingredients that you get from farming is currently the best way to get gil to buy the gear you want.

Anyone can farm together 30.000gil/hour today. And if you put some effort into finding what sells the best you can make half a million in a day, getting you,for example, a Haubergeon in lesss than a day.

This was totally unheard of a year ago!

To sum it up: While its fun to see some FFXi related news on this site, its sad to see inaccurate guides.

• AdrianusAdrianus Member Posts: 13

"Fortunately, there are ways of getting a good amount of gil without having a level 75 job to collect tree cuttings from Elder Goobbue in The Sanctuary of Zi'tah."

Unfortunately the for Southern San d'Oria (S) quests you will need to around the 50-75 range to even get there and kill the mobs in WotG areas. For the other 2 quests you'll probably want to be in the 25-35 range to solo in those areas. Might want to recommend people subjob Thief for the item collecting repeatables. Personally I would have listed quests like the 4x Flint Stones, 3x Rabbit Hides, and 2x Bat Wings for newbies starting out in San d'Oria. Though they might make a little more money on the AH, they are great for raising your national fame level, and the mobs have really great drop rates even without having Treasure Hunter skill.

CoX - Champion (Hero) - Guardian (Villain)
    FFXI - Diabolos
    WoW - Trollbane (Horde) - Misha (Ally)

• MarokiiMarokii Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember Posts: 16
    Originally posted by philipzam

Fist of all, the angelstone and the deathstone rewards are part of the storyline, which everyone eventually will have/want to do and so they WILL get the rewards.
    This is like saying a great way to make gil is to do all the Rank missions, sure it will net you more than 500.000 gil, but this is something everyone will do eventually anyways, but its not time efficeient, you dont do this for gil, its for a higher purpose. 
    Well, In the last year we have seen prices drop alot on some of the essential gear. Ill take an example but this is true for more or less everything on the auction house.
    1 year ago you could buy/sell a Haubergeon for approx. 3.5 Million on the AH.  It is now approx. 300.000gil.Thats 1/10th of the orginal price a year ago.
    1 year ago you could buy/sell a stack of Beastman Blood for 75.000 gil. Now is approx 25.000. Thats a pricedrop of only 1/3rd.

Rank missions are a decent source of gil, that's just not why people do them, virtually everyone uses gil as a nice perk to doing rank missions in every nation. Of course it's for a higher purpose but that doesn't mean it can't necessarily be done for a source of gil as well.

Quests like Seeing Spots can net you well more than 30k a day, if you actually play more than a few hours. And you sort of made part of my point for me on gil. Equipment prices have dropped dramatically over time, and are still dropping to this day. Whether it be Haubergeons, Monster Signas, or Noble's Tunics, the prices continually drop while these remain the same no matter what occurs. (Except maybe for the stones but those remain so rare i doubt the price will drop significantly for the forseeable future.)

I appreciate the feed back but this guide wasn't "inaccurate" it just didn't help you.

Originally posted by Adrianus

Unfortunately the for Southern San d'Oria (S) quests you will need to around the 50-75 range to even get there and kill the mobs in WotG areas. For the other 2 quests you'll probably want to be in the 25-35 range to solo in those areas. Might want to recommend people subjob Thief for the item collecting repeatables. Personally I would have listed quests like the 4x Flint Stones, 3x Rabbit Hides, and 2x Bat Wings for newbies starting out in San d'Oria. Though they might make a little more money on the AH, they are great for raising your national fame level, and the mobs have really great drop rates even without having Treasure Hunter skill.

Those quests are pretty well known and generally only get you about 100-200gil each trip. Also you don't need any specific level (well, about level 10 at minimum) to actually get to Southern San d'Oria (S), anyone can go through the Cavernous Maws, all you have to do is avoid the monsters to get to Southern San d'Oria (S), but lower levels generally have to dodge monsters everywhere to get places anyway, so this is hardly different. (For example, traveling through Tahrongi Canyon, the highlands, or La Theine Plateau, to get to the dunes.)

This guide wasn't really made for any *specific* group of people, it wasn't catered to higher levels (because they can easily get their gil elsewhere, obviously) and it wasn't really catered to newbies so much. You need at least a tiny bit of experience to get around. The only one that I remember actually needing a 75 or two on is fighting the Orc NM on the second quest concerning the Young Griffons.

EDIT NOTE Fore Everyone: This guide wasn't meant as meaning that you can make more gil by doing these quests than you can farming. Certain quests net you substantial rewards, but there are obviously ways of making money towards the end of someone's leveling days than there are at the beginning. This guide was meant for those people at the lower end of the spectrum, or those in the middle, 40-60, who don't necessarily have as many ways of making gil as players more powerful than they.

• firefliesfireflies Member Posts: 1

I don't know if anyone else felt, or got the impression that "Quests for the Gil Seeker" was referring to RMT at which point i couldn't resist seeing what was said. lol... I honestly think that this was not in anyway an efficient gil guide at all. I hope you dont honestly do this yourself because there are multiple ways of making gil without having a 75 is the first thing, secondly it  sounds like you obviously dont't know what you are talking about when you refer to just Warriors and Dark Knights as melee. IE: Samurais, Dragoon, Thieves: The best farmer in-game wasn't mentioned, Ninjas. I'm sorry but you really don't know what you are talking about at all.

Originally posted by fireflies

I don't know if anyone else felt, or got the impression that "Quests for the Gil Seeker" was referring to RMT at which point i couldn't resist seeing what was said. lol... I honestly think that this was not in anyway an efficient gil guide at all. I hope you dont honestly do this yourself because there are multiple ways of making gil without having a 75 is the first thing, secondly it  sounds like you obviously dont't know what you are talking about when you refer to just Warriors and Dark Knights as melee. IE: Samurais, Dragoon, Thieves: The best farmer in-game wasn't mentioned, Ninjas. I'm sorry but you really don't know what you are talking about at all.

I didn't realise i was supposed to list out every single job in the game. I just used Warriors and Dark Knights as examples, i wasn't referring to them as good farmers. This is just absurd. I don't see how not referring to Ninjas or Thieves, when that wasn't even the point of the article, means I don't know what I'm talking about.

Is it just me or do some people circle mmorpg.com waiting for game correspondents to attack? I like to keep track of correspondent articles and I've seen this several times now.

• grinderygrindery Member UncommonPosts: 36

Its alright man, most people that are on this site that play ff11 are elitist pricks who have nothing better to do than attack people who have different ways of doing things. Not only was it a good guide, as you said it wasnt catered to a specific group, it was also a good guide in the fact that it introduced a little bit of content. Last time I played ff11 all I did was grind and do rank missions, I hardly ever bothered with the quests.

• HituroHituro Member Posts: 37

Wow I love how the people complaining and saying the person who wrote the article doesn't know anything, when in fact they themselves totally missed the entire point of the article.  This guide IS NOT telling you that it's method is better at getting gil than farming.  It's simply stating "this is an alternative if you don't have a lot of time to sit around and farm".

It's a freaking opinion!?  So why do all the trolls come out to bash it simply because it's not how they do things.  If you don't like it then go and farm!  I think this is a nice guide to some small spending cash in the game.  So quit nit picking it and go find something better to do :P

To the editor, I liked your guide, and it actually informed me of a couple quests I did not know about and I just may use them for the future when I need to scrounge up some Gil :)  Thanks!

• LafargeLafarge Member Posts: 7

You all need to give this author a break. First of all I think its awesome FFXI got a little attention with this article and being a nearly 5 year veteran of the game, as well as many of you, we know that FFXI is very hard to pay for equips as you level up. EVERYONE finds their niches in the games economy, mine was originally NM camping until most of the decent ones were nerfd with rare/ex drops. I moved onto chocobo digging which took me 13 months of serious time  (4-5 hours a night average) to max in skill, most of that time not receiving any profit. The point is if you know a way to make money that you feel is the best way then by all means do it, this guide is just pointing out some of the alternatives for those who are not as knowledgeable. I know as I leveled up I found myself trying out different money making practices just to afford the basic equips, things like fishing and farming bee chips come to mind. I think the author is simply pointing out that for those (and there are many, YOU might not be one of them) who are struggling to even get enough gil to buy an updated weapon for their level can do these quests instead of sitting in jeuno crying.

I appreciate the article and although I have no need to invest the time to do these quests there was definitely a period (LONG period) of time where these suggestions would've been very productive and helpful in making money and in turn advancing in the game. They sure wont get you rich but these ideas will keep a broke player going. Well done.