Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My free trial DaoC Review

I d/l the 7 day free trial cause I was looking for a mmorpg to past the time.  Loaded up the game and created my first char(warrior). After playing for 4 days here is what I think about it.  BTW some things that I say might be wrong...no need to flame as i know I've only played the game for 4 days.  These are just my thoughts.

Pros -

Decent Graphics for a game that has been out for what 1 1/2 years or something like that(??)(never had that too dark problem that I heard other people complain about)

Skill System was easy to understand and well as the game mechanics

Realm vs. Realm idea looks good...although I never got to a high enough level to check it out.

Community was helpful when i asked a question

Cons-

I think I saw about a total of 20 people in my starting area.  IMO its very hard to find a group....there is such a little population for starting players(yes I picked the suggested starting area).  Then I found out about that lvl command(don't like it) and can now understand why the area is so bare.

Quest- After reaching lvl 5 I couldn't find a quest in the starting area...then I rented a horse and headed off to another town...still couldn't find one. 

Skills were quite lacking....an overview looked all the same and each other lvl the skills would either "bleed" or "stun" or "taunt", just not enough diversity. Also the animations didn't look very good.

Anyway these are just my opinons.  If you have some opionions that would help me get back into the game then please tell me.  Otherwise I'm glad I tried the  7day trial because I don't think that I will be subscribing to my game. Just wanted to know if anybody else tried the 7 day free trial and what did you think about the game.

--------------------------------------------
Current Games:

CoH
LVL 20 AR/DEV Blaster - Dj Mystic Blue

Eve Online
Lord Thrawn - Order of Celestial Paladins

Comments

• LhexLhex Member UncommonPosts: 262

The first 20 lvls is barren because most people nowadays can create a lvl 20 character at the begining.

So it isnt really noobie friendly.  You need to find someone to help you ingame, to show you the ropes and I guarantee it will be more fun for you.

What server are you in? And what was your realm you picked?

If you join the server Percival and chose Albion I can give you a hand. I can show you where to lvl and answer any questions you have. I also have some low lvl chars I can group with you. Once you hit lvl 5 you can go to the battlegrounds and the xp there is alot higher and you can lvl from 5-9 fairly quickly while joining others as well. There is a battleground for every lvl until 45 after that it is RvR. There is a LFG flag, (looking for group), and if your in albion you can go to the plains and get a group going there. Also depends what server your in. Like I said I am on percival which for the most part has around 2000 players at peak times, which is really good. I can help you get to the lvl where it starts to get more fun and without alot of time and work.

There is a /yell command, even though maybe annoying if spammed, but you can yell LFG and your lvl and you may get a group. Also I don't know where you started but if you have the Shrouded Isles Expansion you can start in Shrouded Isles and that is where most people start, from what I have seen.  In SI you can see alot of noobs and get in a group. Granted the group maybe 1-3 people but that is all you need. Plus alot of high lvl crafters hang out there, think its called Caer Gothwaite, and you never know you could talk to someone there about joining a guild.

Plus you don't need to be in a group until you hit lvl 5 anyway and after you chose your career at lvl 5. The first 5 lvls are solo'd. After that you can begin to group and join the BG. So according to your post you haven't even made it past 5 and you have been playing for four days.

The warrior, I guess that is Midgard, (been so long) is like any other basic melee class in any other realm. Albion has an armsman and Hibernia has a hero. I don't know what else you could expect from chosing that class, all you do is go up to a mob and bash it over the head, what else can you expect? Plus you said there wasn't alot of moves, well I have to say your lvl 5 image. If you want more versatility in your char and a varied assortment of things to do common sense would say not to be a simple melee guy. Perhaps try a hybrid class. I don't know Midgard very well but I don't know if you even chose your proffession yet? Did you chose your career at your trainer at lvl 5? At lvl 5 you chose your career. Maybe you can become a Skald?, or something cooler than a basic warrior? Plus, those few moves are not what you are going to be using all game.

There are many classes that do many things. You cannot assume what the rest of the game will be like off of those first 5 lvls.

Look for me in Percival/Albion as Lhex. I work tonight until midnight, I will be on after 12am est time.

I will be more than glad to help you out and get you going with advice, some coin and equipment.

~Lhex

---------------------------------------------
    Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

• LyrenLyren Member Posts: 18

Hey there!

I recommend going to daoc.catacombs.com and checking out the character builder. You can put in different levels and different specs to see what skills you get, and it has a short description of the skills. At level 5 you won't have as much to work with that you would have at higher levels.

Also... sometime towards the end of this year Mythic will be releasing their next expansion to DAoC, with a whole new graphics engine and character models, etc.

Curious as to what town you started in and couldn't find a quest after level 5. You should be able to find kill tasks all the way up to level 20, but you may have to try a few different guards to get the task.

• lordthrawnlordthrawn Member Posts: 276

*sigh* I just created a long post and the damn auto timer got me again so here is the short version /end rant

crap...can't remember what I typed...damn customers keep interupting meimage

anyway....I guess some of my complaints come from playing all the new mmorpg's out there(COH) which have really good graphics, so easy to find a team and high pop.  Of course I didn't expect the graphics to be amazing, but I do wish it was easier to find a group instead of spamming.  I picked the warrior class b/c first of all ever since my berzerk barb in DIIimage i've had a thing for warriors. and second I figuered that the warrior class was on of the easiest to start(usually in most mmorpgs).  As for quest I after I reached lvl 5 every person I talked to in the town gave me no quest...nor did the bartender who didn't have any tasks for me to do. Although another thing I forgot to mention in my little review was that I expereience hardly any lagimage which is always good(screw u swg).  Thanks again though for the info.

--------------------------------------------
    Current Games:

CoH
    LVL 20 AR/DEV Blaster - Dj Mystic Blue

Eve Online
    Lord Thrawn - Order of Celestial Paladins

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

I never had any problems getting into groups. But I generally don't like people very much.

There is no point in grouping below level 10. You level so quick it's ridiculous.  And think there some delivery tasks you can do to level without killing a thing.

levels 10-20 there are a couple spots out might be able to get a group, but kill tasks and quests are so easy for getting exp, grouping is actually slower.

So 1-20 no real need to group unless your just lonely.  You should be able to blast past these levels in about 20 game hours. I think I was pulling a level every 40-60 minutes doing kill tasks in my upper teens. (and once you learn where the mobs are)

If you having a problem with being a "newbe" I highly suggest you check out some web sites, learn where the kill tasks and get some maps.

If you can use the bathroom without someone holding your hand, you can get past level 20 without it.

Use your melon, be self-reliant. Who do you want to group with, some guy that can't stop whining, or someone that is racking up the exp when you find them? You always win with self-reliance.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• KatherinneKatherinne Member Posts: 2

For quests go to Camelot Warcry for a list of all the quests by level. Has starting NPC, city and optional hints. You can do kill tasks but I used to do mail runs, takes time but you get money and about a 1/3 bubble exp.

Lots of low characters in the SI starting cities so not sure you get those in the trial.

Also, not to take away from this board but lots of DAOC people post on the VN boards.

Been playing almost three years and I love it. Tried CoH for a month and came back to Camelot.

• propolyzpropolyz Member UncommonPosts: 182
    free trial sux ;p

Darkage of Camelot | Since Day 1 |

Seabasz 50 Hero | Lancelot / Hib
    Seabas 50 Enchanter | Lancelot / Hib
    Vlyden 50 Bezerker | Guinevere / Mid
    Vlyden 50 Armsman | Bors / Alb
    Hellzpyro 40 Wizard | Merlin / Alb

---------------------------------------------
    Darkage of Camelot
    Seabasz 50 Hero | Lancelot / Hib
    Seabas 50 Enchanter | Lancelot / Hib
    Vlyden 50 Bezerker | Guinevere / Mid
    Vydien 50 Armsman | Bors / Alb
    Hellzpyro 50 Wizard | Merlin / Alb
    Oceany 45 BM | Mordred / Mid
    Seabasy 48 Bard | Mordred / Hib

• sundropsundrop Member Posts: 67

Lhex i tried to play the 7 day trial, joined your server/realm but never figured out how to add you as a friend or even search to see if you were online. For 12.95 i will say that daoc is a no way in heck game, but if you dont mind if your around, get in touch with me and maybe you could show me why daoc is good. cause the 5 minutes i was in game, i thought it sucked. :(

• BladinBladin Member UncommonPosts: 1,089

I am nowhere near a pro in daoc, but i have to say its a rather fun game, and its rather easy to find groups.  What you need to do is type /who yourlevel and check a few levels around you and msg them and be like, hey want to go level a bit, most of the time youll find someone, sometimes you won't.  Also you can try to find a low level guild, i found one on my first character, a reaver, got in one at level 8, and since i was a really hardcore leveler, i managed to catch up to the lower level guildies and pretty much had 2 friends i leveled with all the time, a scout and a cleric. Whenever they werent on i soloed and chatted with the rest of the guild while i regenned.

Im seriously thinking about starting up again, id be playing on albion-galahad if i do, since thats where my REAL LIFE friends play (i got like 5 friends who play there, one of them is close to 50, so we may roll 20s together)

People who hate the /level feature, are usually people who can't /level , i mean before i got my first 50 i was like /level sucks blah blah blah.  And after i hit 50 and later decided to roll a new character... OMG it was a life savor.  It gave me alot more gameplay time, because levels 1-20 are AWESOME, lol actually i found all the time on my characters to be awesome.  The thing i loved about daoc was the ability to play almost any type of character that suits you.  Just find something you like and play it, dont look for the "best" class.  or "the most effective" just play whatever you enjoy playing, and enjoy playing it.  People who go "cookie cutter" builds tend to get bored fast due to the similarities.  Heck when i leveled my bonedancer from level 1-24 (my first pet class, and my first RvR character)  I loved it, but i went bone army instead of the cookie cutter suppression.  I enjoyed it.  Like i said before, just find what you want to play as and play as it.

Heck if i start up again im gonna have the time of my life, im almost looking forward to it again.  Maybe even another reaver!  if anyone wants to start with me i guess i could make a level 1 in albion galahad, and play with you, just give me a ring on msn [email protected] !  Ill be playing on the galahad albion server, so feel free to msg me for a party!